KNOWN DESCENDANTS: ...........UNKNOWN

BATTLE-CRY: ..................UNKNOWN

My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words,

‘I am proud to live — I am proud to die.’

–Commander Carab Culln, Red Scorpions Chapter

gallery_26_6416_9735.gif

• Founded to reinforce the mustering forces of the Sarlevin Crusade;
    • Led by Lord-Militant Vahagn de Sarlou;
  • First Chapter Master was the Rampagers' former 9th Company Captain, Kharvog Ujumm;
  • During the Sarlevin Crusade, Chapter Master led his warriors from the front. He is responsible for the utter eradication of a minor alien species, known as the Chasnith, who used to have a small empire on the fringes of the Ghoul Stars;
  • While the majority of the Chapter was engaged in the Sarlevin Crusade, it was the Captain of the 10th Company who was left in charge of recruitment and acquisition of war matériel for the rest of his brethren;
  • At the conclusion of the Crusade, the Chapter Master selects the world of Oloq-Tharsk, the site of a bitter struggle between the Thunder Fists and the Chasnith, as his Chapter's home world. Kharvog Ujumm and his Captains were impressed by the fighting spirit and fierce loyalty displayed by the local population.

Individual Markings & Heraldry

Thunder Fist Astartes mark their armour in a variety of ways with names and/or symbols of notable campaigns they fought in, various bits of Imperial iconography, unit- or gang-related markings, etc.

They have also developed the habit of "tagging" a location where they might stay for a longer period of time with their Chapter symbol effectively making it their "turf", even if it's just for the duration of a single battle or campaign, and enact swift retribution on whoever decides it's a good idea to come onto their territory before the conflict comes to an end.

gallery_26_6416_6062.gif

• Primary designation: Hive World;
  • Secondary designation: Desert World;
  • Fortress-Monastery: the Storm Tower;
  • Recruit mostly from the gang-infested hives, aspirants much reach the Storm Tower alive (crossing the deserts that separate the relatively secure hives and the Fortress-Monastery;
  • Establish Chapter Keeps on worlds they have fought on if it makes sense to (i.e. good genetic stock or resources for Chapter forges).

gallery_26_6416_13628.gif

• White Scars' through their parent Chapter, the Rampagers;
  • Flaw: hyper-aggressivity.
  • Aforementioned flaw thought to be caused by a mutation of the sus-an membrane but due to its usefulness to the Chapter, further study has never been approved or publically undertaken.

Relationship with the Martian Priesthood
Thunder Fists sent to Mars for the training that all future Techmarines must undergo have more hurdles to overcome because they must repaint the majority of their armour in Martian red and pledge alliegeance to both their Chapter and the Omnissiah: seen as dishonourable/straight-up bad due to their inherent pride in their own colours.

As a result of this, Thunder Fists have less Techmarines than a usual Chapter might have as fewer aspirants manage to shed their hubris.

The few Techmarines the Chapter does have live far more secluded lives than normal, and are even considered as borderline traitors by some members, as they're effectively wearing some other organisation's "colours" more prominently than their "own".

gallery_26_6416_3417.gif

• With every passing moment, countless loyal subjects of the Emperor are slain by the myriad of Mankind's enemies. Thus, swiftness and determination are the key to keep these foes at bay and the Imperium standing and the Thunder Fists espouse this view in all aspects of their lives;
  • Like their Primarch, the Thunder Fists possess a fierce sense of honour, are loyal to their allies, and are ruthless in the prosecution of their goals;
  • Jaghatai Khan is viewed as a peerless warrior, a cunning general, and above all a loyal son to the Emperor, he is the subject of intense reverence amongst the Chapter's members;
  • Merit and ability are what get warriors elevated through the ranks of the Chapter, and actions are worth thousands of words;
  • Promotion of a warrior is decided by the brethren that warrior shall subsequently command in the form of a vote: the result must be unanimous as any other result would suggest a lack of trust in the future leader. Ironically for the Chapter and its temperament, this can occasionally unfold into a lengthy process where tempers run high as impatience grows. Such occasions always end with spilled blood as the would-be candidate his supporters inevitably come to blows with stubborn naysayers;
  • Colours are worn with pride regardless of circumstance;
  • Erosion of trust is seen as a grave matter and reneging an oath mean mutilation or death for the oathbreaker at the hands of the Company Chaplains;
  • Chaos is seen by the Chapter as the gravest of threats to Makind and the Imperium, traitors are mercilessly hunted down and executed.

Recent History

The Chapter was until very recently over-strength due to a combination of two factors. Firstly, Librarians saw portents of doom shortly before the opening of the Cicatrix Maledictum, resulting in an attempt by the Chapter leadership to limit the number of engagements (which wasn't always successful, with some Companies/Squads rebelling and going to war anyway, and suffering consequences at the hands of their Chaplains later) and boosting recruitment. More recently, the Chapter has been reinforced with Primaris Marines.

This unprecedented situation has led the Chapter Master to launch a massive Crusade where (almost?) the whole Chapter goes to war against the forces of Chaos that have emerged from the Cicatrix/local Warp anomaly. As can be expected, losses are mounting and efforts are underway across the Fists' recruitment worlds to replenish the Companies' ranks.

gallery_26_6416_1898.gif

• Modus operanti focusses on assault and close-range firepower support;
  • Tactical Squads are deployed equipped with close combat weapons/combat blade attachements;
  • Squads are generally deploy in either a unit transport or are equipped with individual transportation, such as jump packs, bikes, or Land Speeders;
  • Very rare for the Thunder Fists to stay for long "on foot", though can happen if the battlefield conditions are not conducive to the use of surface or near-surface transportation.

gallery_26_6416_10327.gif

• One less Devastator Squad per Battle Company which is replaced with an extra Assault Squad;
  • 1st Company mostly made up of Vanguard Veteran/Assault Terminator Squads;
  • Due to the aggressive and implusive nature of the Thunder Fists, each Company has a cadre of Chaplains rather than the usual single Chaplain attached to it to make sure discipline and order are maintained and that matters of honour and disputes are resolved in such a way that it doesn't impede on morale or battle-effectivenes.

gallery_26_6416_14189.gif

• N/A (WIP)

Uncategorised ideas:

• Used Terminator "Titanhammer" Squad to destroy 1+ Chaos Titans, earning the enmity of that Legio and the respect of a Loyalist Legio (canon or DIY?);
  • Has a strong alliance with another Space Marine Chapter (canon, my own DIY, someone else' DIY?);
  • Good relationship with the Adeptus Arbites (what situation could have lead to this?);
  • Nemesis Chaos Space Marine warband (canon, my own DIY, someone else's DIY?);
  • Fought off a Waaagh!, earned their grudging respect and enmity.
Edited by Dosjetka

Using the Deathwatch RPG Chapter creation tables from Rites of Battle, I came up with the following (~90% randomly determined):

Why was the Chapter founded?
Crusade

When was the Chapter founded?
34th Millennium (M33), 5th-7th Founding

How pure is the Chapter's gene-seed?
White Scars, Flawed

Codex Demeanours
Swift as the Wind

Gene-seed Deficiencies
None

Chapter Flaw
Pride in the Colours

Chapter Characteristic Modifiers
Lightning raids that inspire their fellows to greater deeds are the trademark of this Chapter. Space Marines of this Chapter gain +5 Agility and +5 Fellowship.

Figures of Legend

• Company Captain, 7th: "the figure led an action against an Eldar craftworld, boarding it and inflicting grievous casualties before withdrawing. He and his Chapter are especially hated by the pernicious Eldar, for whom the event is still fresh and raw."
  • Battle-Brother seconded from a previous generation Successor or even the First Founding Legion that provided the new Chapter's gene-seed, Chapter Master: "the hero was the first to face some newly discovered alien race, and ultimately responsible for its total destruction. Centuries later, only the Chapter remembers the name of the race, so utterly was it and its works cast down."
  • Chief Librarian: "the hero led a glorious campaign against a rebel army, defeating the foe and bringing an entire sector back into the light of the Emperor."

Chapter Home World Category
Hive World

Chapter Home World Terrain
Desert

Home World Relationship
Distant Rule

Chapter Organisation (non-Ultramarine Successor)
Divergent Chapter

Comat Doctrine
Close Combat

Solo Mode Abilities
Quick reaction is the hallmark of this Chapter. While in Solo Mode, the Battle-Brother is considered to have the Lightning ReflexesTalent. At Rank 3, the Battle-Brother receives a +10 to all Dodge tests. At Rank 5, the Battle-Brother is considered to have the Rapid Reaction Talent. At Rank 7, once per game session the Battle-Brother may automatically pass any one Agility-Based test (for Opposed Tests, the Battle-Brother is considered to have rolled a 01).

Squad Mode Attack Patterns
Oath of Vengeance
Action: Free Action, Cost: 1, Sustained: No. When any member of the Kill-Team suffers Damage, the character receives a +4 bonus to Damage rolls against the attacker. At Rank 5, this ability may be Sustained.

Squad Mode Defence Stances
Swift Advance
Action: Reaction, Cost: 2, Sustained: Yes. Members of this Chapter have the skill and training necessary to move quickly through even the most punishing onslaughts of gunfire. While this ability is active, the Battle-Brother and any within Support Range who successfully dodge a Ranged attack may spend their Reaction to make a Full Move. At Rank 4, they may also reload one weapon provided it does not take longer than a Half or Full Action to do so.

Special Equipment
Preferred Fighting Style: The Chapter has a specific way in which it prefers to go about killing the enemy in the name of the God Emperor of Mankind. Examples: Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, dual Power Swords, special Bolter pattern or ammunition

Chapter Beliefs
Revere the Primarch

Chapter Status
Over Strength

Chapter Friends

• Adeptus Arbites
  • one other Adeptus Astartes Chapter
  • Adeptus Titanicus

Chapter Enemies

• Orks (alternatively, you may select a particular Waaagh! or Warboss)
  • Chaos Space Marines (you should choose a particular warband, Chapter, or Traitor Legion)
  • a particular Chaos-aligned group (i.e., Traitor Titan Legion, Chaos pirates, renegade Imperial Guard, etc.)

Chapter Name Adjectives
Ultra, Night, Black, Silver, Thunder, Fiery, Steel, Space

Chapter Name Nouns
Fists, Vengeance, Templars, Wolves, Champions, Sons, Skulls, Hands

Note: I will not use everything above as-is. The lack of an actual genetic flaw is one example of me further tweaking the results of the dice rolls to suit my needs.

Edited by Dosjetka

Playing a Thunder Fists force in 8th Edition Warhammer 40'000:

• use Codex: Space Marines;
  • play them as White Scars Successors with the Hungry for Battle and Whirlwind of Rage traits;
  • emphasis on assault units like Assault Squads, Vanguard Veteran Squads, Assault Terminator Squads, embarked "ranged" squads with short-range weaponry, etc.
Edited by Dosjetka

Looks like a great start! (Although I don't have Deathwatch so some of the rules don't mean anything to me! :lol:)

Colour scheme is cool, does the choice of colours have any significance, or just to look good? Is it orange or a metallic, bronze-y type colour?

I think the idea of White Scars recruiting from an urban (gang?) environment has a lot of potential, most WS Successors I've seen do have that tribal feel but are typically more feudal/feral. A successor with stylized gang tags of some sort replacing the WS red slashes could be very cool?

That their geneseed is flawed, but not deficient, is interesting? Is that part of what was rolled randomly? Maybe you could fluff it out to be that it is flawed (maybe hyper-aggressiveness would be fitting as WS Successors?) but they don't consider that to be a deficiency, rather a bonus that works perfectly with their chosen tactics?

That they are very CC focussed, but the Chapter is over strength is interesting too. You would imagine that such aggressiveness would mean they'd more likely be a bit under? Perhaps they were under, but they've just received reinforcement via the Primaris, and are now immediately planning a massive Crusade against one of their enemies?

Just a bit of brainstorming based on the rolled bits, feel free to use whatever!

Thanks for popping by and taking the time to post, Lysi. :thumbsup:

Looks like a great start! (Although I don't have Deathwatch so some of the rules don't mean anything to me! :laugh.:)

I only kept the rules side of things as a reference for myself and to give some ideas if I'm stuck on how to describe certain things. :smile.:

Colour scheme is cool, does the choice of colours have any significance, or just to look good? Is it orange or a metallic, bronze-y type colour?

I was going for something bold since the Thunder Fists take pride in their colours and largely eschew the use of stealth. This is one result that came up that I liked, but it might change if I'm unsatisfied with the colours when I paint them. The orange is supposed to be just that. :thumbsup:

Edit: removed the colour scheme I had originally come up with when I realised just how much of a paint it'll be to paint it and I'm not sure I like it all that much in retrospect. New colour scheme soonTM.

I think the idea of White Scars recruiting from an urban (gang?) environment has a lot of potential, most WS Successors I've seen do have that tribal feel but are typically more feudal/feral. A successor with stylized gang tags of some sort replacing the WS red slashes could be very cool?

Gang recruits are definitely what I had in mind. The gang tag idea is a good one. I was thinking they might "tag"/mark a location where they might stay for a longer period of time with their Chapter symbol, effectively making it their "turf" even if it's just for the duration of a campaign? And, of course, losing their turf to someone would have them enact swift retribution on whoever decided it was a good idea to come onto their territory. :devil:

That their geneseed is flawed, but not deficient, is interesting? Is that part of what was rolled randomly? Maybe you could fluff it out to be that it is flawed (maybe hyper-aggressiveness would be fitting as WS Successors?) but they don't consider that to be a deficiency, rather a bonus that works perfectly with their chosen tactics?

Yes, I rolled that randomly. The book explains that "ome Chapters are afflicted by a flaw that transcends mere zygote mutation and comes to totally define them. Sometimes the flaw is linked to a nigh-catastrophic genetic malfunction, but just as often it is tied to the essential nature of the Progenitor’s Primarch, the stock from which they recruit or to some other, inexplicable factor. Many such flaws are two-edged swords, providing unheard of benefits balanced against terrible drawbacks."

The book text for the Pride in the Colours flaw is as follows:

"While all Chapters take great pride in their badge and livery, some take this pride to such an extreme that they regard anything that hides them as a form of cowardice. They wear their colours proudly and make use of back banners the better to announce their presence on the fi eld of battle. Such Battle-Brothers may baulk at the Deathwatch’s tradition of painting over its members armour when the Apocryphon Oath is taken. Some have even refused to do so, serving only a short time with the Deathwatch before returning to their Chapters in bitterness. Others have, in time, overcome their hubris and earned a place in the annals of the Long Vigil."

It doesn't come across as a major flaw initially but I can definitely seeing it be an issue with, for examples, the Thunder Fists sent to Mars for the training that all future Techmarines must undergo given that they must repaint the majority of their armour in Martian red and pledge alliegeance to both their Chapter and the Omnissiah. As a result, perhaps the Thunder Fists have less Techmarines than a usual Chapter might have as fewer aspirants manage to shed their hubris? That and the Chapter's Techmarines are shunned, perhaps even considered as traitors by some members as they're effectively wearing some other organisation's "colours" more prominently than their own?

Hyper-aggressivity is, IIRC, an actual flaw of the White Scars' gene-seed which is apparent in some of their Successors, so I could/should include that.

That they are very CC focussed, but the Chapter is over strength is interesting too. You would imagine that such aggressiveness would mean they'd more likely be a bit under? Perhaps they were under, but they've just received reinforcement via the Primaris, and are now immediately planning a massive Crusade against one of their enemies?

That was the result of a random roll, too, but I figured it could be explained by:

• Librarians receiving visions of doom shortly before the whole Cicatrix Maledictum thing happens, resulting in an attempt by the Chapter leadership to limit the number of engagements (which isn't always successful, with some Companies rebelling and going to war anyway, and suffering consequences later) and boosting recruitment;
  • The Chapter being later reinforced with Primaris.

The idea of launching a massive Crusade, which could be a neat throwback to the very reason the Chapter was founded (i.e. a Crusade was being organised and they needed more Space Marines for it), is a particularly good one given the Thunder Fists hate Chaos and are furious at seeing Daemons but especially traitor Space Marines wreaking havoc across the Imperium.

Just a bit of brainstorming based on the rolled bits, feel free to use whatever!

Much appreciated, thank you! It's given me plenty to think about and some cool ideas, too! :biggrin.:

Edited by Dosjetka

You're off to a good start. Don't forget to NAME the Chapter's "Figures of Legend," and double-check it for typos.

Typos highlighted by the "[" and "]" symbols:

Com[pa]ny Captain, 7th[:] "[T]he figure led an action against an Eldar craftworld, boarding it and infl[ic]ting grievous casualties before withdrawing.[ ]He and his Chapter are especially hated by the pernicious Eldar, for whom the event is still fresh and raw[."]

I replaced the comma after "7th" with a colon, capitalized the following "the", added a space before the second sentence, and transposed the comma and quotation mark at the end.

This is NOT the only set of typos I saw.

Thanks, Bjorn! I've quickly gone through my posts and corrected the typos I noticed. I'll be sure to be extra-vigilant in the future, lest we find ourselves on the cusp of another Typo War. :tu:

I've worked on developing the initial concepts/ideas and general formatting. I'm pretty happy with it all so far so I'll leave it for a day or two, see what kind of criticism and/or ideas come up, and then work on developing it further. :tu:

I wouldn't say any of them are bad, but the ones with yellow + the fist badge look very Imperial Fist, might be a bit jarring when reading about WS Successors? Obvs, the white/red would be the classic choice, similar to the Storm Lords?

Just a thought on the Chapter badge, I'm sure there is an icon (possibly with a decal I've seen?) that is a fist clutching a lightning bolt. That would be a great way to reference both their name and their progenitors?

Edit: herp derp, I'm an idiot. Was just looking up the Rampagers scheme, and the fist with lightning bolt is, of course, their Chapter badge! :rolleyes:

The idea would be to use a similar symbol and not the Imperial Fist one, there just aren't many options in the painter tool and my GIMP-fu isn't good enough to do what I'd like to. :sweat:

Not sure it bothers me to have yellow + a fist symbol, especially if the symbol ends up being a different colour than black. white/red looks good but perhaps too close to the existing White Scar/Rampagers schemes?

Regarding the decal, I think it might be one on the Astra Militarum vehicle transfer sheet. I'll have a look for one of mine but I think I know which one you mean.

I think Brother Bjorn has something there. A gauntlets fist clenching lightning bolts is a stellar idea.

However, as an old Air Force vet, I must take umbrage with your reference of the SAC olive branch. It symbolized its official motto, "Peace is our profession " which empathized its primary mission of nuclear deterrence. The lighting bolts empathized what happens if deterrence fails. Much like the Asrartes, SAC also offered the peace of the grave as an alternative..... a radioactive grave.

Sigh...... You've brought a tear to me eye Brother Bjorn...... Cold War, how I miss you

I've added a medley of colour schemes to the third post. I'd very much appreciate people's thoughts and feedback on the favourite(s). Thank you. :thumbsup:

I like the first one, it's very distinctive.

Not many quartered ice-green and orange Chapters out there, I'd wager! :biggrin.:

That said, with Pride in the Colours being a thing for the Thunder Fists, I'd be tempted to include some red somewhere as a nod to both the Rampagers and the White Scars from whom they claim descent.

Perhaps something like this:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hXbsb_htlpb.hk8Yt@@@@@@@iaj0o@.@@i3oRRi3oRR@__@@@@______@@_____@@@@@hCmX3.______@@_____.iakk7&grid=TRUE

With the appropriate chainswords, jump packs etc.

If the red really doesn't strike you as Chapter appropriate, then the green/orange scheme you've posted definitely gets my vote.:happy.:

Hmm, doing a u turn on what I said before about yellow, what if you went for yellow/red? Both good WS Successor colours (Marauders and Rampagers), although maybe halved rather than quartered to avoid similarity to Howling Griffons?

I think Brother Bjorn has something there. A gauntlets fist clenching lightning bolts is a stellar idea.

Thank you, Brother Lunkhead.

However, as an old Air Force vet, I must take umbrage with your reference of the SAC olive branch. It symbolized its official motto, "Peace is our profession " which empathized its primary mission of nuclear deterrence. The lighting bolts empathized what happens if deterrence fails.

Sadly, in M40, deterrence only works on your own side, and only to convince your allies it's a VERY BAD IDEA to switch sides. Deterrence does NOTHING to stop the other side from trying to erase you and everything you care about, from existence.

I originally intended to write on how Space Marines offer Imperial subjects "peace of mind," knowing such warriors are fighting to protect them; but "peace of mind" will breed emotional weaknesses in these subjects, which will prevent them from doing all they can to defend humanity from forces plotting to destroy us all. I doubt the Thunder Fists and their White Scars progenitors will ever tolerate such weakness.

Cold War, how I miss you

You and me both. At least then, the lines were clearly drawn: your friends (and your friends' friends, your enemies' enemies) were your friends, your enemies (and your friends' enemies, your enemies' friends) were your enemies, with minimal confusion regarding whose side was someone on...

Firstly, Librarians saw portents of doom shortly before the opening of the Cicatrix Maledictum, resulting in an attempt by the Chapter leadership to limit the number of engagements (which wasn't always successful, with some Companies/Squads rebelling and going to war anyway, and suffering consequences at the hands of their Chaplains later)

This line disturbed me, for reasons I couldn't articulate until now. Did the rebelling units turn to Chaos for the power to persecute whichever wars they wanted to fight, whichever way they wanted to fight them? Do the Thunder Fists regularly have to purge the Chapter of such insubordinate Marines and Marine leaders, i.e., tear holes in itself to prevent a would-be Horus II from tearing EVERYTHING apart?

It's funny, I was going through my old Chapter gallery as I hunted for a name to be used in my Sons of Doom article, it would appear we had a similar thought pattern a long, long time ago albeit mien were called Storm Fists:

sml_gallery_26154_1503_26431.jpg

On the symbol/sigil front, the Stigmartyr, aka the sigil of the Excoriators would be a good fit here, it's a red fist holding 2 bolts of lightning. Not quite the SAC or Rampagers emblems, but would be an apt fit. Or, from another angle, have the lightning bolts arcing outward in 3 directions akin to the Storm Lords.

So onto the Chapter itself, the set out looks good and it carries some unique properties to help it stand out. The idea of mutilation and/or death for Oathbreaking is an interesting spin. What vows and oaths are these and how deep is the crime of oathbreaking to determine death? Are those who have the stain of Oathbreaker foirced to carry such a mark upon their arms and armour and can they redeem themselves in a certain fashion to expunge the vow?

The idea of them having Pride in their Coours, akin to the 4th Ed Codex trait, do they proclaim themselves upon the battlefield prior to their assaults, to show the enemy just who has come to hunt them down mercilessly for the glory of the Khan and Emperor?

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

Suggested Chapter symbol: a gauntlet clenching lightning, like the seal of the Strategic Air Command.

*snip*

Just omit the pansy olive branch. The only peace a Space Marine offers, is the peace of the grave to all enemies of the Great Khan and the Emperor.

Good suggestion, thank you!

I've added a medley of colour schemes to the third post. I'd very much appreciate people's thoughts and feedback on the favourite(s). Thank you. :thumbsup:

I like the first one, it's very distinctive.

Not many quartered ice-green and orange Chapters out there, I'd wager! :biggrin.:

That said, with Pride in the Colours being a thing for the Thunder Fists, I'd be tempted to include some red somewhere as a nod to both the Rampagers and the White Scars from whom they claim descent.

Perhaps something like this:

*snip*

With the appropriate chainswords, jump packs etc.

If the red really doesn't strike you as Chapter appropriate, then the green/orange scheme you've posted definitely gets my vote.:happy.:

Thank you for the feedback on the colour scheme and your own suggestion, Ace. :) Still not sold on any particular scheme so the search continues!

Hmm, doing a u turn on what I said before about yellow, what if you went for yellow/red? Both good WS Successor colours (Marauders and Rampagers), although maybe halved rather than quartered to avoid similarity to Howling Griffons?

I had considered that: they're both colours I like, enjoy painting, and look good together. With the added bonus that I've already a red/yellow combo before so I know it's something I could achieve with relative ease for Challenge #2. Perhaps I've found an colour scheme, earlier than I thought I would too! Thanks! :D

Firstly, Librarians saw portents of doom shortly before the opening of the Cicatrix Maledictum, resulting in an attempt by the Chapter leadership to limit the number of engagements (which wasn't always successful, with some Companies/Squads rebelling and going to war anyway, and suffering consequences at the hands of their Chaplains later)

This line disturbed me, for reasons I couldn't articulate until now. Did the rebelling units turn to Chaos for the power to persecute whichever wars they wanted to fight, whichever way they wanted to fight them? Do the Thunder Fists regularly have to purge the Chapter of such insubordinate Marines and Marine leaders, i.e., tear holes in itself to prevent a would-be Horus II from tearing EVERYTHING apart?

I hadn't imagined them falling to Chaos, more that they simply had the urge to fight and couldn't resist it (or chose not to). That said, it is a bit sketchy and Companies do have a larger cadre of Chaplains to avoid such things so perhaps I'll drop it or put it earlier in their history and use it as a cause for why the Thunder Fists have a great amount of Chaplains.

It's funny, I was going through my old Chapter gallery as I hunted for a name to be used in my Sons of Doom article, it would appear we had a similar thought pattern a long, long time ago albeit mien were called Storm Fists:

*snip*

Great minds think alike. ;)

On the symbol/sigil front, the Stigmartyr, aka the sigil of the Excoriators would be a good fit here, it's a red fist holding 2 bolts of lightning. Not quite the SAC or Rampagers emblems, but would be an apt fit. Or, from another angle, have the lightning bolts arcing outward in 3 directions akin to the Storm Lords.

Gauntlet with lightning bolts appears to be the way to go. I'll see what's simplest to paint (given that I'll have to paint it a number of times for Challange #2) and go with that. :)

So onto the Chapter itself, the set out looks good and it carries some unique properties to help it stand out. The idea of mutilation and/or death for Oathbreaking is an interesting spin. What vows and oaths are these and how deep is the crime of oathbreaking to determine death? Are those who have the stain of Oathbreaker foirced to carry such a mark upon their arms and armour and can they redeem themselves in a certain fashion to expunge the vow?

With regards to vows and oaths, I didn't think I'd specify any particular ones, just that the punishment for breaking them is mutilation or death. That said, it could be worth giving a couple of examples for each.

The idea of a mark is a good one, especially given their thing for colours and markings: marking out those who have transgressed with some kind of symbol or colour would further cement that and make sense. Perhaps a simple black X on an armour piece? Perhaps the one closest to where the were mutilated for their oathbreaking?

It would make sense that there would be a way for transgressors to redeem themselves but perhaps it could be an interesting twist to do the opposite and have the marks of oathbreaking remain until the Space Marine's death?

The idea of them having Pride in their Coours, akin to the 4th Ed Codex trait, do they proclaim themselves upon the battlefield prior to their assaults, to show the enemy just who has come to hunt them down mercilessly for the glory of the Khan and Emperor?

Vox-cast broadcasts declaring the nature of the enemies of Mankind's doom is definitely a feature of the Thunder Fists' operations. Not sure what else they could do so suggestions are welcome. :tu:

Suggested war cry: "We are the Emperor's thunderbolts! His ememies will suffer at our fists!"

A decent suggestion but a bit on the long side: I (and the Thunder Fists) would prefer something shorter and punchier. ;) Appreciated though!

With regards to vows and oaths, I didn't think I'd specify any particular ones, just that the punishment for breaking them is mutilation or death. That said, it could be worth giving a couple of examples for each.

The idea of a mark is a good one, especially given their thing for colours and markings: marking out those who have transgressed with some kind of symbol or colour would further cement that and make sense. Perhaps a simple black X on an armour piece? Perhaps the one closest to where the were mutilated for their oathbreaking?

It would make sense that there would be a way for transgressors to redeem themselves but perhaps it could be an interesting twist to do the opposite and have the marks of oathbreaking remain until the Space Marine's death?

I love the concept of the black crosses across their marks of shame. I imagine that would push towards such marks being placed upon very visible spots on the armour, perhaps some of the more serious sins leading to a cross across their faces and thus their helmets? In terms of the 2nd Challenge, this would open up the option of using Death Company bitz for the crosses on their wargear.

In terms of how to announce their presence, the vox boradcasts would be a good idea. In a more unorthodox fashion and to add to their name, what if they created massive electrical storms overhead prior to their assault or perhaps even during their planetfall? The storm of the Emperor's wrath has arrived to wash away the traitors and enemies of the Imperium.

As a shorter battlecry, the simplicity of "Storm the enemy/foe" could be an idea. To the point and describes their methodology of war nicely too. We are coming for you, disgusting xenos/traitors/daemons. ;)

Cambrius

Suggested war cry: "We are the Emperor's thunderbolts! His ememies will suffer at our fists!"

A decent suggestion but a bit on the long side: I (and the Thunder Fists) would prefer something shorter and punchier. :wink: Appreciated though!

Suggestion:

"We are Thunder! We are the Storm!"

Short, snappy, and would work great either as a single shout or a repeated chant.

• 1 month later...

Regarding colur scheme, if you have not deiced yet then I would urge you to include some white somewhere, even if only in a small amount. As a chapter that takes pride in its colour and sees their progenitor in such high regard it would feel odd for there not to be a nod to White Scars colours.

Secondly such aggressive nature makes me wonder about Dreadnaughts. White Scars traditionally abhor the idea but a chapter that is engaged in a lot of close combat is likely to be able to put to good use Dreadnaughts and likely to have plenty of candidates to fill them.

Maybe have the Dreadnaughts be a shook assault role droppoding in should the more mobile elements get bogged down.