+++FID Indicator - ALPHA+++
+++Via Astropath 7NBS2069LVP1+++
+++Via Astropath 8849042+++
+++Via Astropath 100496-B7+++
+++Thought for the day: Drink deep of victory and remember the fallen.+++
My noble and revered cousins of the Legio,
Attached for your consideration, you will find a datafile containing the summation of the honorable and resolute Astartes Chapter, the Sanguine Gargoyles. It is a most esteemed honor to have been entrusted with compiling this Index, with the hope of inclusion in the Liber Astartes. Within the datafile you will find my own annotations; please forgive my additions, but I do not feel my Librarium staff quite captured the soul of my beloved Chapter, and I felt the need to elaborate and explain certain aspects I felt were noteworthy. Once again, I humbly thank you for the opportunity to honor my Brothers in blood and arms of the Sanguine Gargoyles. May the Emperor ever watch over you.
Your humble servant,
Chief Librarian of the Sanguine Gargoyles
GENE-SEED (PREDECESSOR): ... IXth Legion (Blood Angels) FOUNDING: .................. 21st, 991.M35; Ultima, 999.M41 [Rebirth]
CHAPTER NAME: .............. Sanguine Gargoyles
CHAPTER MASTER: ............ Lucian, Master of the Crag
HOMEWORLD: ................. Fleet-Based
SEGMENTUM: ................. Obscurus/Solar/Ultima
FORTRESS MONASTERY: ........ The Crag, Battle Barge
COLORS: .................... Dark gray w/ crimson right shoulder pad
SPECIALTY: ................. Lightning Strikes, Stealth
KNOWN DESCENDANTS: ......... None
STRENGTH: .................. Nominal (estimated)
BATTLE-CRY: ................ "For the Unremembered!"
GENE-SEED (PREDECESSOR): ... IXth Legion (Blood Angels)
FOUNDING: .................. 21st, 991.M35; Ultima, 999.M41 [Rebirth]
- Where Segmentums Solar, Obscurus, and Ultima meet
- Gothic Sector
Looking to Roost
The First Millenium
- 21st Founding
- Founded as the Saviors of the Chalice
- Training Cadre permanently seconded to Saviors
--- Sanguinary Priest, Chaplain, Librarian, Blood Angels Captain, five Veterans (with TDA), Veteran Scout Sergeant, ten Marines
- Building strength
- Auxiliary/support force
- Genetic mutations cripple the Chapter
- Changes progressed slowly at first, almost naturally
- 5th Black Crusade appeared to exacerbate mutations
Death of a Chapter
- Already weakened Chapter decimated by Black Legion forces
- Reduced to less than 200 brothers
From the Ashes
- Gene-seed stabilized
- Slow recruiting
- Ultima Founding
--- Primaris reinforcements
--- Rubicon Primaris
The Line of Sanguinius
- IXth Legion Gene-seed; direct descendants of the Blood Angels
- Altered gene stock; fewer cases of Red Thirst/Black Rage
The Gargoyle's Touch
- Librarium prays over every generation of recruits; every few generations, one or rarely two aspirants receive some sort of minor vision or "memory" from the days of the Heresy (not so profound and enthralling as the Black Rage)/(or perhaps there is a benign minor physical manifestation, like a faint halo or wreath of light); such aspirants are named Untouched by the Chief Librarian, for it is immediately known they will bear none of the mutations their brothers suffer from.
At first, the warriors of the Saviors of the Chalice seemed better able to resist or control the urges of the Red Thirst. Even so, some of their number still fell victim to the bloodlust felt by all sons of Sanguinius. Most brothers recovered from the Thirst, but there were still those who didn't. Those few unfortunate souls would be placed in stasis until such a time as they could be delivered to the Blood Angels' Tower of the Lost. Though unorthodox, this arrangement was made due to the space-faring nature of the Saviors.
After the genetic degradation of the Chapter, the Gargoyles saw far higher numbers of brothers falling to the Red Thirst. Many of those affected flew into an even more berserk fury than normally seen, and consequently this lead to more Astartes unable to break free of its grip. With the Chapter rebuilding itself after its decimation, pilgrimages to Baal became far less practical, and the Gargoyles instead retrofitted The Crag with an expanded cryo-stasis deck. Here the first of the Unremembered would be kept, and the stasis deck became known as the Catacombs, where the damned and the almost-dead slumber until roused for war.
The Rage Within
While the genetic alterations intended to "fix" their gene-seed appeared to have given the Saviors of the Chalice a modicum of control of the Red Thirst, it didn't appear to have any effect on the frequency with which the Black Rage overwhelmed them. The Saviors often fielded only a small Death Company in a given battle, unwilling to unleash the full fury of those given over to the Black Rage in all but the most dire situations. Such a decision was made for two notable reasons; first, it was to shield those not of the Chapter or its enemies from the brutal savagery of the Death company. The second was to protect the Saviors from excessive scrutiny by agents outside of the Chapter, and of the Adeptus Astartes as a whole.
The Sanguine Gargoyles field a much larger Death Company, termed the Unremembered, than the previous incarnation of the Chapter. It is presently unknown whether the genetic mutation suffered by the Gargoyles affected their susceptibility to the Rage, or if perhaps the confrontations with Abaddon's warbands and his heinous deeds during the 5th Black Crusade triggered the change. Currently, the Unremembered confined to stasis in the Catacombs number around Company strength, though this fluctuates with every new engagement. The largest formation of the Death Company in the Chapter's history, past or present, was marshalled during the climax of hostilities with Abaddon's forces, when the Saviours of the Chalice fell.
Neither he Sanguine Gargoyles, nor their precursors the Saviors of the Chalice, have ever had an actual 'homeworld.' Though the latter had begun the final deliberations on claiming Bowden IV, it was ripped from their grasp. Before and since, the Chapter has relied on periods of piecemeal recruitment,
Chapter Demeanor: See But Don't Be Seen
Chapter Flaw: We Stand Alone
Chapter Beliefs: Revere the Primarch
Special Equipment: Blessed wargear, Modified Jump Packs, Rare Weaponry (plasma)
Though the Sanguine Gargoyles diverge from the path laid out by the Codex Astartes, they do so more out of tradition born of necessity rather than an outright choice to forge their own way. The Chapter diverges in two main ways; its chain of command, and its troop and fleet organization. The former came about due to the impromptu restructuring required after nearly being wiped out. The latter is a more current change, stemming from the integration of Primaris Astartes into the Chapter. Both aspects conjoin to form a potent fighting force, lead by dual Commanders dedicated to the Emperor and the men in their charge.
The Gargoyles' Wings
- Firstborn Wing; Commander Lamonte
- Primaris Wing; Commander Bellon
--- The two Captains share equal rank in the Coven; only by dint of experience and length of service does Captain Lamonte hold any real seniority. The two leaders maintain a very open discourse with each other, working alongside one another for the prosecution of their foes, and to supreme effect
- Each Wing is responsible for its own brothers, but both Commanders have authority to step in on either side if the need were to ever arise.
The Gargoyles' Talons
- No Scout Company; newly inducted Firstborn recruits are immediately placed into 7th Flight, where they train in all forms and manners of combat. They remain there until, through death and promotion, spots open within the 3rd through 6th Flights that need to be filled. 7th Flight Commander Captain Pheron, the rest of the Chapter's Flight Captains, and an individual's squad Sergeant all discuss the talents, strengths and weaknesses of a candidate, before assigning him to his new Flight. In times of need, this discussion is forgone, and candidates are placed at the needs of the Chapter
- Primaris Marines; newly inducted Primaris recruits are immediately placed and train in squads of the 2nd through 6th Flights chosen for them based on the needs of the Chapter
- Each Flight designed around one specific focus of combat, rather than each Flight being its own microcosm. Demi-companies, called "strikes" by the Gargoyles, are created ad hoc to better suit the nature of each engagement, and may draw upon the brothers of several Flights to complete their task. Others may simply require the specialized handiwork of a single Flight.
Flight of the Gargoyles
Chapter Leadership, "The Conclave"
- Chapter Master; Lucian, Master of the Pandemonium
- Sanguinary High Priest; Armand the Anointed [Master of the Apothecarion]
- Primus; Philippe the Benevolent [Master of Sanctity, and Lord Executioner]
- The Gargoyle; Azkael [Chief Librarian]
- Firstborn Wing Commander; Captain Lamonte
- Primaris Wing Commander; Captain Bellon the Young
- Praetor of the Revenants; Praetor Damascus
The mantle of leadership falls to the battle commanders, heads of the High Offices, and the Chapter Master; the Conclave. They decide the way war is waged by their battle brothers. The when, the where, the how. Sometimes several of these war councils are held before a decision is made, arguments and counter-arguments mulled over and compromises considered. The Master of the Pandemonium has the authority to override the voting if it otherwise stands tied, if not enough votes are or can be cast, or when certain actions be taken upon request of an outside authority. Such choices are well measured, not made lightly or given to frivolity. Members of the Conclave are permitted to wear robes of cream over their armor. To aid in the efforts to make war in the name of the Emperor and Mankind, the Conclave is supported by the Prefecture, the Sanguine Gargoyles' Masters of the Chapter.
Chapter Council, "The Prefecture"
- Master of the Forge; High Prefect Solarus [Chief Techmarine]
- Master of Reconnaissance; Prefect Zaphiel [2nd Flight Captain]
- Master of the Marches; Prefect Mercutio [3rd Flight Captain]
- Master of the Fleet; Prefect Namora [4th Flight Captain]
- Master of the Arsenal; Prefect Valenti [5th Flight Captain]
- Master of Relics; Prefect Ithakus [6th Flight Captain]
- Master of Recruits; Prefect Tovaani [7th Flight Captain]
The Prefects are the Conclave's council of advisors. In this circle, everyone is equal, except the High Prefect. The Chief Techmarine bears this title through honor-ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus, and though the role does confer a small measure of overall leadership, it is often used to bring certain aspects of the Chapter to the Conclave's attention in a timely fashion. Each Prefect is the head of his department, reporting on its readiness for the upcoming battle as their expertise is required. Those Prefects chosen to make war may then nominate a proxy to act for them, or choose to have their position vote in abstention. Those Prefects not called to war join the Conclave in the war council. Members of the Prefecture are permitted to wear robes of deep crimson, though the Chief Techmarine will undoubtedly wear the trappings of his own vaunted station.
The Chapter's strength is divided into seven Flights. [Flights are similar to the Great Companies the Wolves of Russ prefer. I've edited the datafile to include a sublist containing the breakdown of each unit, so that it may be skipped over by those who choose to do so.]
Infiltration, Recon, and Stealth
- Only recruit from feral and death worlds and penal colonies; may recruit from a hive world in emergency
- "Kidnap" recruits in the cover of night; numerous local myths and legends spawned by practice
- Recruit in "phases": each world is only subject to recruitment every so often, perhaps generations, but the chapter is always recruiting; myths and legends have sprung up on tribal/fuedal worlds about the Gargoyles
- Order of the Shrouded Martyr
- Penal Legion Theta-Delta-Beta; "Coe's Irregulars"
- Adeptus Mechanicus; [non-standard hierarchy within Chapter]
- Abaddon and the Black Legion
--- Valorous Host Warband
Prior to their rebirth as the Sanguine Gargoyles, the Saviors of the Chalice wore alabaster white armor with crimson pauldrons and gold detailing and decoration. Following the traditions of their brethren, helmets identified a warrior's squad type, with individual squad markings worn on the right knee pad. The Chapter Badge was worn on the left pauldron, while company markings and personal heraldry were worn on the right. Veteran status was denoted by a golden helm and pauldron trim.
After the Ultima Founding and the rebirth of the Chapter, the Sanguine Gargoyles bear new colors. Their armor is a dark, stone gray, with the right pauldron painted crimson, but they still retain the gold decoration and detailing of their former colors, albeit in matted and subdued hues. Members of the Librarium, Reclusiam, and Sanguinary Priesthood follow their orders' traditional coloring, with the right pauldron painted the same dark stone gray as their battle-brothers' armor. Squad types are still identified by helmet color, however squad markings and personal heraldry are no longer worn. Instead. brothers take to engraving their armor with various designs of personal meaning and importance, and many suits of armor worn by veterans are covered in gold and silver filigree. Flights are announced on the pauldron trim, and veteran status is once more denoted by golden helms.
White wings, outstretched behind a golden chalice, was the original badge of the Saviors of the Chalice. Since their transformation, the Sanguine Gargoyles' emblem bears only a small resemblance to their original; instead of angel-like wings, black bat-like wings spread open, with a blood drop replacing the chalice. It is most often worn on the right pauldron, though some brothers wear it on the left instead. Members of the Reclusiam, the Librarium, and the Sanguinary Priesthood wear the Chapter Badge, as well as the Chapter's suits of Terminator armor, bear the Badge on the right pauldron.
Carmine, Librarian Dreadnought
- Dreadnought Force Weapon
- Blood Fist with Storm Bolter
Verson, Furioso Dreadnought
- Frag Cannon
- Blood Fist with Heavy Flamer
Venerable Quintus; Venerable Hellfire Dreadnought
- Paired Twin-Linked Lascannons
Liones, Ironclad Furioso Dreadnought
- Paired Blood Talons, with Heavy Flamer and Meltagun
Zice; Death Company Dreadnought
- Paired Blood Talons, with Storm Bolter and Meltagun
Venerable Derceus; Venerable Death Company Chaplain Dreadnought
- Plasma Cannon
As a Crusading Chapter, the Sanguine Gargoyles possess a larger fleet than other Chapters might, though not its vessels all are commanded by Astartes. Though not nearly a match in scale, it is reminiscent of the vast fleets of the Great Crusade in regards to its composition. The Gargoyles' fleet is a blend of the Astartes' flotilla, the remnants of Penal Legion Theta-Delta-Beta's troop fleet, a few Explorator vessels from the Adeptus Mechanicus, and a permanent detail from the Order of the Shrouded Martyr (including their Dominator-class Cruiser, the Dominus Irae), plus the swarms of the fleet's attendant ships. The Gargoyles command the battle barges and strike cruisers while the rest of the fleet, with the exception of the Sororitas vessels, is commanded by Imperial Navy personnel. This arrangement between the Chapter and the Navy ensures the Gargoyles can prosecute their enemies as they desire, and the Navy gets to do its job, without either side getting in the other's way.
The fleet of the Sanguine Gargoyles is split into three smaller fleets. The Main Fleet makes war, wherever it may take them. Up to five separate, flight-strength campaigns could be supported individually, though it is most often the case that numerous small-scale operations are taking place around one or two larger scale engagements. Additionally, The Rook heads a small splinter fleet, a fast strike force intended to neutralize the most dangerous threats present, or to offer Flight-strength support as rapidly as possible. The last of the fleets, the Fledgling Fleet, traverses the trail of outposts the Gargoyles have set up in their region, termed by the Chapter the "Aeyrie." The members of Seventh Flight see to the Chapter's recruiting as part of their training duties, and they draw aspirants from a handful of such outposts.
[Once again, I have added a sublist beloew containing the breakdown of the Sanguine Gargoyles' fleet disposition, for your perusal.]
- Angel's Light [Ryza pattern "Sunspite" plasma pistol; badge of office of the Gargoyle}
- Aza'zel [Relic force sword; badge of office of the Gargoyle]
- The Dread Spear [A relic spear of unknown origin, made from a xenos metal with a marble-like appearance; badge of office of the Master of the Pandemonium]
- Stonefist [A Blood Fist crafted using the shattered remnants of Brother Derces' Crozius Arcanum, with a built-in meltagun]
- Death Masks [I think everyone with clearance to read this will already have knowledge of the death masks worn by those of the Angel's line.]
+++Closing Thought: The Emperor protects.+++
Edited by Fenrykus, 28 January 2021 - 06:40 AM.