Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My IF Modernization

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
  • Faction: Evil Suns, Imp. Fists, T'au

I started in 40k with Imperial Fists way back in 3rd Ed. I played them pretty-much exclusively until 5th Ed. when I took a break from 40k. Like many others, I returned to the game with the 8th Ed. Renaissance. I've been playing filthy xenos, but recently got the bug to bring my old buddies up to current standards. Here's progress so far:

qTtUgVel.jpg

LYum8VBl.jpg

kDoN93sl.jpg

Hellblasters are currently on the hobby desk. 

Edited by andes, 03 April 2020 - 03:19 PM.

• Doghouse, MadEdric, Dracos and 11 others like this

Arch69

Arch69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 78 posts

They looking excellent. I can’t wait to start my IF. Just waiting on my new airbrush. Probably going to do the second company with the gold trim I don’t see a lot of the so they need some love.

• andes likes this

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,529 posts

I love it. What is it with Fists and really taking to medium-heavy weathering? Is it the yellow, makes it stand out better? Maybe the fact that the Fists are siege/fortification masters, so their stuff is rugged by design and weathering is more possible for this?

• andes likes this

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpggallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_48988_16308_20607.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

I love it. What is it with Fists and really taking to medium-heavy weathering? Is it the yellow, makes it stand out better? Maybe the fact that the Fists are siege/fortification masters, so their stuff is rugged by design and weathering is more possible for this?

All of the above, I think. The contrast between the yellow and whatever weathering tone is used helps a lot for sure! 

I did over-weather the Redemptor though. Less is more. Next one will be better.

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this

Maritn

Maritn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists
They look really great. Have you used an airbrush for your yellow?

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Yes, basecoat, shade and surface highlights were all airbrushed.

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

First Hellblaster unit complete. I rushed a bit on these and I'm not as happy with the result.

8Prtkybl.jpg

• jeremy1391, Dosjetka, Iron Foot and 5 others like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,496 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job on the Hellblasters.
  • andes likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,529 posts

They look great, even if you're a bit unhappy with 'em. Weathered just enough.

• andes likes this

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpggallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_48988_16308_20607.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,413 posts

Agreed; they look great! :tu: What is it you're unhappy about? And what can we expect to see next? :)

gallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_12339_7236.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.png

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Thanks! I over-weathered them a bit, it doesn't show so much in the picture due to clever posing ;-) They're fine really, I tend to be hard on myself.

I'm currently working on a Primaris Lieutenant who will be done soon... I was distracted by building and painting a Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy for my Evil Suns. I'm hobbying back and forth between the two armies so I don't burn out. Shelter in place sucks, but I sure am getting a lot of painting done. 

• Dosjetka likes this

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

I thought it'd be fun to post some pics of my original 3rd Edition Imperial Fists, complete with flocked Goblin Green bases biggrin.png Bonus Internet Points if you spot the janky conversion bit.

ZO8UIXBl.jpg

Ypx96jll.jpg

f1mdIQJl.jpg

• Dosjetka, Xenith and Brother Captain Vakarian like this

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,597 posts
  • Faction: Sentinels

Many an enemy has stopped to ponder the significance of the rear-facing storm bolter, only to concede - in that moment of confusion - a window of lethal opportunity to the Imperial Fists.

You've come a long way, mate.

• andes, stretch_135 and Dosjetka like this

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: Lance Company - Land Speeder TYPHOOOOOOON

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Many an enemy has stopped to ponder the significance of the rear-facing storm bolter, only to concede - in that moment of confusion - a window of lethal opportunity to the Imperial Fists.

Ha! That's hysterical! The Storm Bolter is on a pin so I can remove it for transport, didn't notice it had spun around in the pic  :-D

And thanks for the kind words.

• Disruptor_fe404 likes this

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,597 posts
  • Faction: Sentinels

Ha! That's hysterical! The Storm Bolter is on a pin so I can remove it for transport, didn't notice it had spun around in the pic  :-D

And thanks for the kind words.

That wasn't the janky conversion bit?

Hmm... Then is it the Iron Halo that I don't recognise? Looks like it could be a button from some jeans or something...

• andes likes this

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: Lance Company - Land Speeder TYPHOOOOOOON

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

That wasn't the janky conversion bit?

Hmm... Then is it the Iron Halo that I don't recognise? Looks like it could be a button from some jeans or something...

That's the one! It's flat washer and a lock washer glued together, then cut in half. 

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Primaris Lieutenant done:

VtEjS2el.jpg

• Dosjetka, Zephaniah Adriyen and ranulf the revenant like this

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

First squad of Aggressors done. Yes, I know they should have the bolters but they were built long ago. C'est la vie.

ze0J9sFl.jpg

• Dosjetka, Xenith, Zephaniah Adriyen and 1 other like this

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,413 posts

Gives you an excuse to buy and paint a second box of Aggressors, this time equipped with the bolt weapons. :evil:

• andes likes this

gallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_12339_7236.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.png

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,146 posts

Great work, and painting fists in 3rd ed when there was no reliable strong yellow colour from GW was no mean feat!

Weathering is really well done - is that sponged on? 

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Thanks! The weathering is almost entirely sponged on. There is one spot on the Redemptor Dread where I experimented with masking fluid weathering, but it isn't visible in the picture. The experiment ended up marginally successful, but I decided that experimenting on an expensive centerpiece model wasn't what I wanted to be doing so switched to the sponge.

...and yeah, there weren't a lot of yellow options back then. I went with GW Bronzed Flesh glazed with GW yellow ink.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,529 posts

Aggressors are good. It never really clicks how many shots 36+3D6 is until you have to roll it... and then you realize it's half the dice in your Shooting phase. biggrin.png

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Knocked out another squad of Hellblasters. I'm closing in on 1500 points of Primaris, not far to 2k!

OpW5pmHh.jpg

• Dosjetka, Zephaniah Adriyen and Brother Captain Vakarian like this

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,529 posts

Good time for it. I'm doing Orks and Thousand Sons while I wait for the world to reopen.

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts

Good time for it. I'm doing Orks and Thousand Sons while I wait for the world to reopen.

Nice! I love my Evil Suns, they're so much fun to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users