Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Psychic Awakening: Pariah

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,120 posts
I thought April 18th was replacing a different event preview?

Deathwatch and Harlequinns are getting their psychic awakening rules in a white dwarf

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,911 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

I thought April 18th was replacing a different event preview?

Deathwatch and Harlequinns are getting their psychic awakening rules in a white dwarf

Maybe it was originally and they’ve since decided to spread the Adepticon stuff out more. But they said on the stream they’ve only done half the Adepticon previews and said the next preview is the 18th. 

• Dark Shepherd likes this

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 532 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
Deathwatch and Harlequins only getting white dwarf rules is a gut punch. I'm assuming Phobos killteams are out then.

But I'm the bright side, that means both sisters and Necrons should be getting quite a bit of content since they are the only armies in the book, barring another Fabius Bile type reveal.

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

9 PA books... honestly they're not worth the paper they're printed on. If there was even millimeters of advancement I'd cope but the narrative has stalled.

Isn't that the point of the PA books though... they are "filling in" the happenings through the timeline out to the Dark Imperium stuff that was never detailed, getting to a new "status quo" rules and story-wise before possibly advancing some at the next edition/version refresh.
  • andes, Triszin, Gederas and 1 other like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,102 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Vigilant Heart

I wanna know more about PA: Pariah from a rules perspective, IE: What to expect. The preview for War of the Spider at least gave us a general overview of what to expect from a content point of view.

I enjoy Stern.

• Montford likes this

Pieces of paper for impassable terrain? My main problem with all of this is it really takes away from the game. A giant sheet of white paper on the table sort of breaks the theme of tiny fake armies running around tiny fake locales.

Real men play Adepta Sororitas!

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,878 posts

9 PA books... honestly they're not worth the paper they're printed on. If there was even millimeters of advancement I'd cope but the narrative has stalled.

9 books, new edition. I told ya guys like in november.
Last book ties in with new edition if I remember correctly.

New edition, 8.5, Jack, whatever you want to call it.

Edited by Sete, 04 April 2020 - 03:28 PM.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts

Good to see Stern is back in 40k and now with a cool model and proper rules, very excited to get her. It is kind of weird that DW and Harlequins are in WD and its even weirder they havent mentioned Necrons, will they be in Pariah? They also didnt say who is Stern fighting, just some odd omissions.

i don't think it's going to be just Ephrael and Kyganil against some force, as they said "Psychic Awakening: Pariah will see champions old and new come to the fore" (although WHC has been frustratingly obtuse/potentially misleading in their statements before), and that Stern will be challenged by the "the greatest threat the Imperium has ever faced" - personally I'm still mulling over who/what that might be, to me, the Imperium has three pretty damn potent threats in the form of Chaos, Necrons, and 'Nids (oh my).

Now I'm relistening to Duncan Waugh's VoxCast right now, because he said something about Psychic Awakening that I felt like was a key bit about the nature of these books and it was "granted, some of the change ups aren't as big as if there had been a Codex refresh" and I had the impression that also meant that new factions wouldn't come out of them, because if you aren't going to go as far as a Codex refresh would, in my mind, you also wouldn't produce an entirely new (or almost entirely new) Codex within the bounds of the PA books - although he didn't specifically say that.

So I personally am not anticipating seeing a single new faction during the Psychic Awakening run for 40K - maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not anticipating a new faction like Khorne/Slaanesh-based Marines until late summer at the earliest (and who knows how off that might be now given the world situation).

So back to specifically PA: Pariah - we've already had Chaos and 'Nids, so the only "big" threat left to detail is the Necrons - and possibly humanity's burgeoning psychic potential itself. I'm just not sure what else might be the "greatest threat" to the Imperium.
  • Felix Antipodes, redmapa and Aarik like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,037 posts

Isn't that the point of the PA books though... they are "filling in" the happenings through the timeline out to the Dark Imperium stuff that was never detailed, getting to a new "status quo" rules and story-wise before possibly advancing some at the next edition/version refresh.

Filling in I don't have an issue with but what they've presented have been woeful.

Rules wise have been v good.
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,391 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

Note that I've split the posts about the Ephrael Stern & Kyganil miniatures and the 20th Anniversary Edition of Daemonifuge into their own topics.

I've also hidden all of the off topic complaining - if it wasn't about the Psychic Awakening: Pariah product, it's somewhere else/gone.

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
So based on the White Dwarf preview for 453, it looks like it is only Deathwatch getting rules in there, so the Harlinquin rules are likely only in PA: Pariah.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Or in the next White Dwarf issue.

• fire golem, Mr4Minutes, quasistellar and 1 other like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts

Why would they print them twice? Either they are in Pariah, apparently based on a comment from the Twitch preview, or they are in White Dwarf.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Why would they print them twice? Either they are in Pariah, apparently based on a comment from the Twitch preview, or they are in White Dwarf.

What do you mean twice? Just split between two White Dwarf issues. One for Deathwatch, one for Harlequins.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts

What do you mean twice?

I mean "Why would they print the rules for Harlequins twice?" They were stated to be in PA: Pariah per the preview - source here:

I just rewatched the video and I did misconstrue what was said.

The only things concretely spoken about the contents of Psychic Awakening: Pariah was that rules for the new SoB and Harlequin models would be in the book (Twitch stream, ~1h 20m mark).

Emphasis mine.

So if they publish the Harlequin rules in White Dwarf and PA: Pariah, they'd be publishing them twice. Hence my original question.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

What do you mean twice?

I mean "Why would they print the rules for Harlequins twice?" They were stated to be in PA: Pariah per the preview - source here:

I just rewatched the video and I did misconstrue what was said.

The only things concretely spoken about the contents of Psychic Awakening: Pariah was that rules for the new SoB and Harlequin models would be in the book (Twitch stream, ~1h 20m mark).

Emphasis mine.

So if they publish the Harlequin rules in White Dwarf and PA: Pariah, they'd be publishing them twice. Hence my original question.

(emphasis in red mine)

If I recall correctly they said the rules for the two new models will be in the book, not Harlequins in general. The WarCom article says "And that’s not all! Before long, White Dwarf will be bringing you juicy new Psychic Awakening rules for the Deathwatch and Harlequins."

Edited by Panzer, 07 April 2020 - 09:55 PM.

• fire golem, Doctor Perils and Iron Father Imeran Byon like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts

If I recall correctly they said the rules for the two new models will be in the book, not Harlequins in general. The WarCom article says "And that’s not all! Before long, White Dwarf will be bringing you juicy new Psychic Awakening rules for the Deathwatch and Harlequins."

Guess I misinterpreted what NTaW said then. That WHC statement is what I originally keyed in on, but he was saying it seemed to be refuted by the preview comments.

If Harlequins are going to be in White Dwarf, and not a PA book, then yes, it's seems like they will be in a later WD, not 453 - I don't think they'll have a slim "PA update" for both factions in a single WD and not preview that, seems like news they'd want to highlight.

NTaW

NTaW

++ SUSPECTAVI VENEFICI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,601 posts
I meant that the two models, an SoB and her Harlequin bodyguard, will get rules in Pariah.

I assume that we will see Deathwatch then Harlequins in consecutive WDs.
  • Dosjetka and Bryan Blaire like this

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,327 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

The preview for next months WD contents page clearly shows Deathwatch rules and no Harlequins, i mean, they were always going to be in separate issues right? Them putting the Deathwatch in a "Warhammer" focused issue implies their rules bit will be smaller than the Harlequins, at least based on previous issues.

• Dark Shepherd likes this

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,248 posts
Not really a Necron fan, but always thought Pariahs were a cool concept. IIRC, SoS and Culexus assassins have the Pariah gene, as do all blanks. Just out of curiosity, how many more Psychic Awakening books are still due, and which factions haven't been given the PA treatment yet?
  • Karhedron likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,218 posts
I also like the Pariah concept and it would help the Necrons combat their great weakness against psychic powers.

I think that Book 9 is planned as the last Psychic Awakening book as nearly all factions will have been addressed to some degree (although Deathwatch seem to be getting the WD treatment).
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

NTaW

NTaW

++ SUSPECTAVI VENEFICI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,601 posts

When I first saw my post quoted here I thought this was the Amicus thread. Since we're in the NR&BA Psychic Awakening: Pariah thread and Deathwatch and Harlequins have been confirmed to be featured in White Dwarf, let's focus discussion on what has been confirmed in this book.

• Ephrael Stern and her Harlequin companion, Kyganil, are both getting rules in this book (for SoB and Imperial Faction armies [WC article]). 

It's a short list. In the Twitch stream revealing these two it was mentioned that the pair have enemies in every corner of the galaxy, naming the Inquisition, Thousand Sons, and Dark Eldar among them, and that they travel more or less alone on their own agenda fighting Chaos. Nothing that specifically indicated any faction's inclusion in the book though.

Edited by NTaW, 08 April 2020 - 11:56 AM.

• Bryan Blaire likes this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
Good call Panzer!

Two factions – the Deathwatch and the Harlequins – aren’t in the books, but remain forces to be reckoned with. As such, they’re getting new rules like everyone else, but in their case across two issues of White Dwarf.

• Panzer likes this

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,823 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

Psychic Awakening: Pariah will see champions old and new come to the fore, including a legendary, Chaos-destroying heroine. Witness the return of the Daemonifuge!

Maybe this last PA will have more models than just Stern, maybe it will have some Chaos champion, maybe Vect will get an update, maybe Necrons will get Pariah as some sort of character instead of a unit. This might be less about armies and more about individuals which might be a good opportunity to touch a bunch of factions.

++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,445 posts

Psychic Awakening: Pariah will see champions old and new come to the fore, including a legendary, Chaos-destroying heroine. Witness the return of the Daemonifuge!

Maybe this last PA will have more models than just Stern, maybe it will have some Chaos champion, maybe Vect will get an update, maybe Necrons will get Pariah as some sort of character instead of a unit. This might be less about armies and more about individuals which might be a good opportunity to touch a bunch of factions.

Now that you mention that, it's only Sisters and Necrons left, yeah, but Stern is most known for fighting Chaos, not Necrons. I know PA has not always adhered to the expected/classic matchups, but they did pull Bile out of nowhere as an extra faction, so maybe they have a final surprise appearance of Chaos for us, even if just in the narrative?

I'd certainly like to know what the Emperor's Children have been up to on the sidelines with all their constant appearances and strange behaviour. And Stern's foreshadowing appearance was her getting into some sort of agreement with the Ynnari, so maybe this could be a followup to that. And the only direct link between two Psychic Awakening stories too.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,144 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

Stern worked with one Harlequin that’s it.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users