Tactica: Intercessors

PeteySödes

More ideas, for Stalker intercessors. Since they have a strategem that lets them snipe characters, we can set up a few squads with that in mind. Stalker intercessors paired with a primaris Lord or BL with stormsong relic sniper and beastslayer near our long fangs. Focus fire on a transport or monstrosity, then the Lord can finish the target off. We set them up in range of the sniper boss and our longfangs, and if he manages to take out a valid targets last few wounds, the heavies are stronger next phase. It's entirely possible to have this saga active turn one, and after the saga is on, happily go back to character sniping or monster slaying as useful.

It lets the intercessors aim for harder targets while they objective camp

Edited by theprophetofwar

Next up will be 2 packs of Veteran Intercessors with ABRs and Thunderhammers riding in a Repulsor. These will be my midfield threat and the additional firepower of the Repulsor should help them seriously thin the foe. Now I realise that even with just Intercessors inside, this Repulsor is likely to have a huge bullseye on the hull which I need to find ways to mitigate. A combination of "Prepared Positions", "Storm Caller" and/or "Cloaked by the Storm" is one possibility but is hungry on CPs. I think that simply running other armoured threats such as AC Razorbacks, an Impulsor full of Hellblasters or even a Gunship might be more effective. As noted above, I feel Wolves play very well as a partially or fully meched army as we don't have the number of jump units and movement buffs that BAs do.

Instead of 2 Packs in Repulsors, I'd recommend 4 Packs in Impusors (with Shield Domes).  Haven't done the cost comparison on that, but you'd get a lot more mileage with your board saturation, as well as your redundancy.  

Val

More ideas, for Stalker intercessors. Since they have a strategem that lets them snipe characters, we can set up a few squads with that in mind. Stalker intercessors paired with a primaris Lord or BL with stormsong relic sniper and beastslayer near our long fangs. Focus fire on a transport or monstrosity, then the Lord can finish the target off. We set them up in range of the sniper boss and our longfangs, and if he manages to take out a valid targets last few wounds, the heavies are stronger next phase. It's entirely possible to have this saga active turn one, and after the saga is on, happily go back to character sniping or monster slaying as useful.

I think the stratagem for Stalkers targetting characters is too expensive for regular use. Generally speaking, I would rather invest in a squad or two of Eliminators. Having said that, it is a nice ability to have if your opponent has a character with just 1 or 2 wounds left that they think is safely screened.

For support I would be tempted to look at a Phobos Wolf Lord with Morkai Bolts. He has the ability to snipe characters natively, provides the usual WL aura, has a 12" anti-Reserve bubble and the Morkai bolts allow you to reroll 1s to wound without having to invest in a separate Battle Leader.

Edited by Karhedron

Now you've all got me thinking I should have built mine with ABR's..... 

Also this is a neat thread/series(?), especially for someone who hasn't really played since 6th ( I think I played less than 5 games of 7th, and even less of 8th so far)

Now you've all got me thinking I should have built mine with ABR's.....

Also this is a neat thread/series(?), especially for someone who hasn't really played since 6th ( I think I played less than 5 games of 7th, and even less of 8th so far)

All the bolt rifles have their tricks

ABR in a 10 man squad can go flyer hunting with right buffs

Auto hit with stratagem

+1 wound from saga of beast slayer

You get as much as 30 dice wounding most flyers on 4.

If tactical doctrine active AP1

All right so I'm really liking the idea of 3-4 ABR/hammer squads in Impulsors running up the board as a core element. 

I also like Val's idea of a unit or two hanging back with standard bolt rifles to guard obj's/fend off deepstrikers etc. Maybe a full ten man for this? 

Are Auxiliary grenade launchers worth it? 

How is everyone feeling about the Veteran Intercessor upgrade? We've had several mentions so far mostly in the context of ABR/hammer squads. Are we liking the 5 mans for 1cp? Do we see value in a larger squad for 2? How does their role change?

I want to like it.

With all of the tricks wolves have once you actually reach melee, more attacks and leadership definitely help. I see a couple focuses thay the enemy has to deal with. I'm leaning more towards using troops like the old counter charge set ups and that's more push for dual battalion I think.

Multiple squads roll up in transports, hop out in close range with ABRs and a hammer, use Boltstorm and auto hit 15 (maybe ap-1) bolt rounds, then dare the enemy to charge your melee buffed troops back. The leader alone will have 5 hammer(probably) attacks hitting on 3s. 2 cp for storm may not be sustainable, but the fact you can Auto hit than many shots means the enemy will likely be pushed to assault you to shut down the guns, which is where you've purchased upgrades for anyway. And if you get lucky and manage to lone wolf a squad leader...

I'd vote smaller partnered squads to get more melee weapons and counter charge tricks. Bigger squad seems to be more awkward and costly.

Edited by theprophetofwar

Are Auxiliary grenade launchers worth it?

For 1 point, it is almost a question of "Why not?". A long ranged krak grenade helps the ABR and BR units against tougher targets at long range. The frag grenade helps the SBR units against horde targets. Also the grenades benefit from the extra point of AP in the Devastator Doctrine meaning the squad has weapons that benefit from every Doctrine.

How is everyone feeling about the Veteran Intercessor upgrade? We've had several mentions so far mostly in the context of ABR/hammer squads. Are we liking the 5 mans for 1cp? Do we see value in a larger squad for 2? How does their role change?

I think that the real value is stratagem is proportional to the power of the weapon on the pack leader. Thus 2 CPs are better spent on 2 x 5-man packs than 1 x 10-man pack IMHO. Also 8th edition does tend to favour MSU to some extent and Intercessors have just enough hitting power to count in 5-man units.

Edited by Karhedron

Regarding the Boltstorm stratagem, I feel it is too expensive for regular use. Where I think it comes into its own is against targets that can have (or stack) multiple negative to-Hit modifiers. For example Alaitoc flyers often skim around with near-impunity but ABR Intercessors can advance and hopefully catch them within 12" and still auto-hit (optimum scenario but you get the idea).

It also frees up Keen Senses for units with bigger guns.

I am considering a 5 man in impulsor with Ragnar to get Veterans.

This is exactly my plan. Might not really be necessary, but I’ll pitch in a command point to buy him a proper “Wolf Guard.”

I am going to steal this idea as well 

Hopefully they  do a better job keeping up with him than his last one! 

Petey this is an awesome idea for a thread. And Intercessors are definitely the unit to start with. I’ve not played with the primaris at all and just recently built some up.

The synergy with impulsors is obvious. My first Intercessors squad has the bolt rifle but i regret not going with the auto bolt since their upgrade.

I agree that the auxiliary grenade launcher is a good add on for a low cost. Unless you really didn’t have the points. And my pack leader may get a new arm to replace the power fist with a thunder hammer. I just like the consistency of knowing what damage I’m going to get. And the thunder hammer makes him a prime candidate to take on other characters or get the lone wolf strat played.

Petey this is an awesome idea for a thread. And Intercessors are definitely the unit to start with. I’ve not played with the primaris at all and just recently built some up.

The synergy with impulsors is obvious. My first Intercessors squad has the bolt rifle but i regret not going with the auto bolt since their upgrade.

I agree that the auxiliary grenade launcher is a good add on for a low cost. Unless you really didn’t have the points. And my pack leader may get a new arm to replace the power fist with a thunder hammer. I just like the consistency of knowing what damage I’m going to get. And the thunder hammer makes him a prime candidate to take on other characters or get the lone wolf strat played.

I'm in the same boat with the squad I build up recently. Luckily I was able to do a quick swap on my pack leader, and I have an old 5 man intercessor squad in the mean green so when they are stripped I'll be putting him in with them with ABR's and putting that pack leader with my bolt rifle unit with either a chainsword or fist to hang back to deployment objectives or near other backline units to help fend off any flankers/deep strikers.

I've got two more units of 5 in the mail currently that will be abr's and hammers for a total of 3 for now, one to go with Ragnar, one to go with a Wolf Priest, and then a third flex unit, maybe a Rune Priest or my custom Wolf Lord. WG battle leader could be an option as well. 

EDIT: I hope this is ok to ask since it's in line with the Intercessors, how is everyone kitting their Impulsors? If this should be saved for another thread then no worries. 

Edited by Kassill

I don't like spending very much CP on the veteran upgrade, we just burn through them so fast. Having a "wolfguard" squad for a Primaris character is cool though. I wouldn't want to run a 10 man squad with wolves, our biggest issue this edition is getting into combat and Repulsors are expensive. 

@Kassil - for Impulsors carrying Intercessors I tend to go with the shield dome.  They are a very flexible though I'll have a lot to say on them when its their week.

Come to think of it Veteran Intercessors 

- >  Lone Wolf 

Your Last man Standing has something like 6 powerfist/TH attacks hitting on 3s  + Shock Assault + any other buffs like Wulfenstone / Saga of the Wolfking / Curse of the Wulfen Kill 

Can be pretty nuts 

- >  Lone Wolf 

Your Last man Standing has something like 6 powerfist/TH attacks hitting on 3s  + Shock Assault + any other buffs like Wulfenstone / Saga of the Wolfking / Curse of the Wulfen Kill 

Can be pretty nuts 

Aim for the Leader every single time.

- >  Lone Wolf 

Can be pretty nuts 

What do you mean by this?

- >  Lone Wolf 

Can be pretty nuts 

What do you mean by this?

Lone Wolf the Leader if able, every single time. And Vet Int won't hurt either, especially for the 1CP version on a 5 man.