Tactica: Intercessors

PeteySödes

I've got my SBR pack, two BR packs (still trying to figure out if I'm going with a TH on one of the pack leaders or not, leaning toward not at this point), and an ABR pack - thinking about using the ABR flanked by two 5 man assault units and backed up by an assault Hellblaster unit to do Objective rushes, while having some heavier units, like the SBR pack and a Heavy Hellblaster unit to hold said Objectives.

For now I'm just putting together bodies, power packs, and heads though until we get the damn Codex and Supplement in our hands.

The auto boltrifle assault3 looks good though 3 attacks can easily cover the lacK of AP-1. However it is rumored to be a misprint and it is actually assault2 If this is the case ...

They’ve been Assault 3 for a long time, now, so I seriously doubt they’ll go back to just 2 shots. Every adjusted weapon profile we’ve seen so far has been toward more lethality, not less.
I hope they don't change assault 2 would make the rifle redundant imo. These 3 currently rifles have very defined roles and fulfill them well.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rumored misprint is referring to the hellblasters rule sheet in the new box. 3 shots would make it the best option of three from a match hammer perspective.

The auto bolt rifle has been at three shots for awhile and with just 2 would be the worst option for Intercessors.

Honestly I don't see the advantage of ABR intercessors in an impulsor. I tried it a few times and I'm switching back to BR. The ABR seems much better suited to on foot intercessors as they are more likely to be taking advantage of the ABRs assault rules. Otherwise I prefer the -1 ap over the extra shot for most of my intercessors targets.

Having just completed 20 Intercessors during lockdown, my trusty Grey Hunters have just been buffed to 2W. :biggrin.:

I am thinking that SBR squads may be useful for backfield Objective camping as our other Troop units lack any heavy weapons to contribute useful from our DZ. My Thunderhammer ABR squads should still have mileage in the mid-field, particularly if THs do go to 4D as rumoured. Of course I may run them as Veteran Intercessors for the extra attack.

Honestly I don't see the advantage of ABR intercessors in an impulsor. I tried it a few times and I'm switching back to BR. The ABR seems much better suited to on foot intercessors as they are more likely to be taking advantage of the ABRs assault rules. Otherwise I prefer the -1 ap over the extra shot for most of my intercessors targets.

Yeah impulsors should be carrying assault Intercessors or bladeguard. In 8th ABR Intercessors in an impuslor were fine but the new missions have made that setup subpar.

Seeing as how firstborn are getting 2w as well, I think the role of Intercessors changes for SW. GH and BC are better at killing elite Infantry at range and melee than Intercessors, the melee and ranged upgrades are better than SBRs in my opinion.

Assault Intercessors are blood claws that can shoot, a dubious honor considering BCs can take flamers.

Tactical Intercessors are best used for the ABRs or SBRs, because no other Troop unit we have can fill Horde Clearing and Long Range anti Infantry as efficiently as those choices. Veteran Thunder hammer wielder is also quite efficient, best bang for your TH buck.

GH and BC are better at killing elite Infantry at range and melee than Intercessors, the melee and ranged upgrades are better than SBRs in my opinion.

How are Grey Hunters and Bloodclaws better at killing infantry of any kind at 36 inches when they don't even have weapons that will reach that far?

Intercessors.

Seriously strong, not as great compared to NorMarines with their buff to 2 Wounds.

Still, let's consider the role of the gun in the pack, rather than just the range.

Auto Bolt Rifles. Press element. If the Impulsor had a front assault ramp and that rule came back for LRC's and SWolves, there'd be a very serious reason to use them. Assault Intercessors might be more BC's for us, however if SW IC's ever get ACSwd's and their choice of a BR variant, ABR, SBR, BR, then... look out!

Bolt Rifles. Mid field or pile out from a non-assault-ramp transport ride. Think about it: it's "just" a better Boltgun, however that alone is huge. +6 inches? Yes please. The fact that a Veteran Intercessor pack should get WG and GH keywords would mean the shenanigans would be immense. I'd still consider VIC's a worthy Troops choice even if the Elites one is the same.

Stalker Bolt Rifles. Well, here's the thing: a 10 man sniper pack with HB range and a pretty solid ability to just park somewhere back field or On The Hunt into cover and pick apart enemy models at will is rather terrifying in its own right. The best feature of the SBR I'd figure, not having run them myself however the logic seems sound, if the SBR were treated as a Sniper Rifle, wounding on 4+ or S, shooters' better option, and could snipe out HQ's or enemy Sergeants, it'd be a pretty boss gun. Of course, it'd need to be fairly pointed out.

So, here's the crunch.

What do YOU need from an Intercessor pack? How do You tool them up to get the job done you need them for? That's kinda the rub, IC's are a choice, as the army controller it's your job to get them to their intended objective, or whatever rears its ugly head at the time and if they're nearby, divert and then send something else if able to do their previous job.

Stalker Bolt Rilfe: long range, snipe, cover rear or mid objectives. Inclined to sit still, moving should be only -1 to hit, however that's big on a d6

Bolt Rifles: better boltguns, more range, and with the right positioning and shooting Strategems, it's going to do some serious harm to most threats, or at least shave off some wounds.

Auto Bolt Rifles: I like these for press. If the Impulsor or some mid-size grav tank Infantry Fighting Vehicle with a front assault ramp existed, Veteran Intercessors as a Troops choice with ABR's, Heavy Bolt Pistols, and Astartes Chainswords if they were allowed and paid for fairly points wise would be boss.

Choose the weapon for why you need it, not just what it does, on Intercessors.

They do bring options that GH's don't have; that's the point, they're for different things, just, one gun overlaps, so please don't lose sight of the fact that "just" a better boltgun is also not useless, it's also important to consider that if Primaris ever get said medium IVF, or what not, it'd be amazing as a press element.