PHM's Exploding Monkey Brains - Commissar 28/05

EDIT: This will now become my consolidated plog for all my Projects, Side-Projects, Side-Side-Projects and Commissions. Anything hobby-related will be dumped into this plog from here on out. Enjoy

Saga of the Lost

gallery_115548_14899_102035.jpg

"...they fell and were lost to the Mark. Rage and hunger took control and the Beast within us all claimed them to a man."

- excert from Skald Stormcrow's Saga of the Lost

So begins my next project. Guess what it is? Heh.

Very basic start at the moment but there are big plans. Here's the beggining of some Wolf Scouts:

gallery_115548_16250_476019.jpg

Waiting on a another care package of Bitz to turn up the I can get into these guys properly. All will be explained then.

Enjoy

PHM

Edited by PowerHungryMonkey

Good to see another project from you, I really admired your Iron Hands. Good idea on using the Bloodreavers as Wolf Scouts, I was going to use Goliaths as a base but I've got some Bloodreavers. Will follow keenly! :))

Thanks Badger. The IHs is still an on-going project but I needed a little change of pace so they'll be going on the back burner for a while. The Bloodreavers was not my first choice, I was going to go with the Warcry Untamed Beasts for that feral, furry look but I felt like marines should at least wear pants...

Anyway, seems I was very preemptive in starting this blog as I seriously have no bitz to work with right now. A crucial bitz bag from a mate (containing the arms and head for all these buggers) is massively delayed in the post. What would have been a 2hr drive to just drop them off will now be 2 and a half weeks in the post thanks to AustaliaPost and their, as-always, pretty pathetic service. Current global sitiation notwithstanding, I've ordered stuff from the UK and USA that's come faster. On the plus side, I've got a bunch of stuff incoming (hopefully next week) for the next unit.

So, enough ranting. I promised I'd give a bit more detail as to what this project will be. I'm looking at doing Fearl Wolves. Space Wolves that have gone too close or over the edge when it comes to the Mark of the Wulfen. The idea came from looking at a few of the AoS Blades of Khorne models and going "Hey, they'd look pretty funky as X, Y, Z for a Wolf army. Just add guns." The idea took hold and I couldn't shake it, no matter how much I was actually determined to focus solely on the IHs. I then found some very cheap Bloodreavers on a BuySwapSell site on FB and I really couldn't say no anymore. By the way, I want to make this clear, this had NOTHING to do with the IHs nerf and the Saga of the Beast release. Its just kind of timed out that way.

Aestheics wise, I'm looking to have them as more bestial and down-armoured than a standard Wolf army. No units will have a full suit of armour, I'm going to try to use a lot of the wulfen heads and its going to be pretty combat-heavy. This will also be the first army in a very long time that I am building to a fixed points value and an actual legal army list. This is all in the hopes of going to Arcanocon 2021 early next year. Money, time, apocalypse allowing...

The List. 1350 Points. Vanguard Detachment.

HQ

Wolf Lord in Terminator Armour

-wolf claws (pair)

Runepriest

-runestaff

ELITES

Wulfen - 3 packs of 7

- mix of wulfen claws, frost claws and hammers/shields

Reivers - 5

-bolt carbines, grav chutes

Wolf Scouts - 2 packs of 8

-bolters and meltaguns

FAST ATTACK

Thunderwolf Cavalry - 3

-weapons TBD

Thats really it. With a bit of points-juggling I may add in a pack of Fenrisian Wolves as well but nothing else. There's no Troops so I'll be relying on destroying the enemy or at least denying them any objectives. I'm hoping the hard-hitting Wulfen and Thunder Cav can give a good punch while the Scouts and Reivers do some sneaky deployment to thin the back ranks of the enemy. I'm not really playing to win, just to have fun with a theme-heavy army.

I've got a good bit of fluff figured out in my head and, I'm hoping, some really good conversions too (particularly for the Thunder Cav) but I'll save those for when I get around to those units. Its not looking like I'll have any bitz o work with until mid-next week at this point so right now this is pretty much a place-holder.

Until then, cheers

PHM

Woooo! My bitz came in! Package from my mate arrived today and so I got straight into working on those Wolf Scouts. Here is the results of a good few hours cutting and fitting:

gallery_115548_16250_293839.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_413914.jpg

Man it feels good to finally get these guys moving. There is a lot of greenstuff work to blend the various parts together and I want to add a bit more detailing like talismans, wolf tails, knives and pouches (plus Mr Pointy is missing an arm still). For any who are curious, bitz list is as follows:

Legs and bare torsos: AoS Blades of Khorne Bloodreavers

Arms: Catachan Jungle Fighters (ROIDS!!!)

Shoulders: Space Wolves Wulfen

Heads and armour torsos: Space Wolves

I'm going to have to go back over the unit and probably rip the armour torsos off the legs and space them out more, as you can see the height variation is quite extreme between the straight Bloodreaver bodies and legs and the converted armour torsos. Not a huge thing but something I didn't see till after the unit was together.

More of an update soon when I get down to sculpting and filling. I also have most of the parts for my Reivers due tomorrow or at least this week so they'll be up soon too.

Let me know what you think. Cheers.

PHM

Looking forward to where this is going, love the overall Look. I am a bit unsure about the Shoulder Pads, look a bit oversized, you could look at the Dwarven Ironbreaker Shoulderpads. But then its WIP, could very well be that you are able to make them blend everything togetehr perfectly. I don`t Mind the Variations in Size at all tbh.

Did the same for a small ‘fun’ model idea with my Executioners’ scouts. Didn’t use bolsters, but the axes and knives came out well scale wise. Kroot bits always give a feral look as well. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

Looking forward to where this is going, love the overall Look. I am a bit unsure about the Shoulder Pads, look a bit oversized, you could look at the Dwarven Ironbreaker Shoulderpads. But then its WIP, could very well be that you are able to make them blend everything togetehr perfectly. I don`t Mind the Variations in Size at all tbh.

Thanks Oshikai. I've taken a look at the Ironbreakers and those pads would be great but its just something else I have to source and right now getting anyhting seems to be a battle. I'm still not overly happy with the rather big size variation over the different guys. A little here and there is fine and gives them more of an idividual feel compared to normal marine armies. Individuality is always a good thing ina SW army.

On another note, I'm going to use your paint scheme heavily as inspiration for this army. The scheme you've gone with is exactly what I want these guys to be. I need to get your recipes for the leather, armour and trims as I love them all.

Did the same for a small ‘fun’ model idea with my Executioners’ scouts. Didn’t use bolsters, but the axes and knives came out well scale wise. Kroot bits always give a feral look as well. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers Yosef. I actually saw your gusy the night before getting into these guys properly and thought "damn, another idea stolen" :biggrin.: Really like what you did with your Executioners and hoping these guys turn out much the same. Its crazy, I've got a lot of this army planned out in my head, have had for a month or two now, and in that time I've suddenly seen almost every one of them pop up either here or on FB. Its like people are stealing my thoughts. Better brake out the tin-foil hat...

Getting into some greenstuffing tonight with any luck so hopefully another update soon.

Cheers

PHM

So the updates are never as frequent as I hope for but a few days isn't too bad of a gap.

Finished off the first Wolf Scout unit. Greenstuffing is done and a bit more kit and bling has been added to them; plus Mr. Pointy has his boltgun now.

gallery_115548_16250_191289.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_205433.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_97687.jpg

A fun little unit to make. I eneded up not going back to the sjort guys and spacing them a bit better. I'm starting to kinda like have different heights and builds within the unit. Like I said, Space Wolves are all about individuality and this just adds a little extra to that. There's a second unit of Wolf Scouts to be built but I'm just waiting on another batch of Catachan arms to come in, due in about a week hopefully. I've got everything else I need for that unit except for more Wulfen shoulders but since I'll need to buy like 4 boxes of those boys I know I'll have enough spare at the time.

While I wait for the next batch of arms, I've started work on my Reivers. Similar idea to the Scouts: down-armoured and more of a modile firing unit than combat boys. Early days but I'm really happy so far, despite the waits looking a little derpy on a few of them:

gallery_115548_16250_552624.jpg

These guys are using Necromunda Goliath legs with Intercessor torsos. There was A LOT of cutting involved to get the two halves I needed for each guy, thank the All Father for hobby saws. Like I said, the waist join isn't great, they've been kinda stretched around that area to get that Primaris height to them. I was banking on the Goliaths being bigger as everything I'd seen/heard about them was that they were huge. Maybe that's just compared to other Necro gangs. Anyway, I've stuck with that idea and I'm hoping the grenades, pouches and wolfy bling will help negate the derpyness. The greenstuff moulds on their chests will be cleaned up too once it cures.

I was going to use Goliath arms on these guys to keep the bare-arm feel going throughout the army but they're not what I expected. There will need to be a lot of pinning and greenstuffing to make them work with the bolt carbines. Do you guys have any suggestions for other bare arms I could use for these guys instead? The Catachan's are too stubby on the Primaris-scale guys. Possibly Ork Boyz? Or are they too long and ape-like? I'll keep playing with the Goliaths for now but would love to hear if people have better ideas. I need arms that can hold the bolt carbines.

Anyway, more work on these guys soon. The heads I have planned for them have only just been ordered so I'm not expecting them to reach me for about a month in the current climate so you won't be seeing a finished squad for a while I'm afraid. Likely the second Scout unit will be done first.

C&C always welcome. Cheers

PHM

Those look Epic, have a look at Beastmen Gor Arms, they usually do scale rather Well with all Manner of Marines.

Thanks Oshikai. I've got Gor arms a-plenty, and while they do scale well, it'll be a lot of effort to get them in that rifle-holding pose. I'll play around with those too tho. I'd likw to get a set of Ork arms just to see how they look. It'd save me a lot of issues bending arms if they worked

Gor arms work great and offer a lot of different axes and poses. Plus, given the Wulfen theme; and your taste, you might not even need to ‘shave’ of the furrier parts!

As far as bending and bolters and what not; I’d use one arm Bolter and pistol firing poses with a CCW gor arm on the other. Only issue I had was that the Gor arms are flat at the attachment point, so a little ball of GS goes a long way to make them work and look good with a non-beast man torso.

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

Thanks Kolgrim and Badger.

Gor arms work great and offer a lot of different axes and poses. Plus, given the Wulfen theme; and your taste, you might not even need to ‘shave’ of the furrier parts!

As far as bending and bolters and what not; I’d use one arm Bolter and pistol firing poses with a CCW gor arm on the other. Only issue I had was that the Gor arms are flat at the attachment point, so a little ball of GS goes a long way to make them work and look good with a non-beast man torso.

I know what you mean about the furry. Yeah, I was looking at using them a lot in the army originally but since my only real non-wulfen units are gonna be gun-totting its a bit harder to pull off. I've got ork arms inbound from a mate so i'll see what happens there. I tend to pin any arms or legs that need to be spaced wierdly then fill with GS later; for me it gives a stonget fixing and lets me get a better sculpt later.

On to the update. Its a little one but I want to keep this thread flowing while I can. Once I finish up the 3 units I have it'll be a bit of a drought till I can get more stuff. Partly coz of the COVID fun happening right now but mainly a lack of funds thanks to the COVID fun... sigh. Also, the children have decided this week that 4:30am is a really good time to be up for the day screaming at us, so that certainly saps any will to live, let alone hobby.

What I have managed to accomplish is this:

gallery_115548_16250_307933.jpg

Reivers now have packs and chutes. I've also tidied up the GS moulds on the chests and added a bit more kit and bling. Really likeing where this unit is going. I've got heads inbound from the UK (probaly won't see them for a month tho...) and some Ork Shootaboy arms comming from a mate that'll hopefully do the trick :happy.:

Next is the start of the second Wolf Scout unit:

gallery_115548_16250_781726.jpg

Just at the base stage right now. Still gotta give the Pack Leader an arm and bolter, build 3 more guys then go over everything and add kit and bling and GS all the horrible gaps. Managed to negate a bit of the small-man-syndrone on these guys where I've chaged to armoured torsos. Hopefully the height variance is less stark.

Hopefully more pretty soon.

Cheers

PHM

More work on the Wolf Scouts. Got the second unit built and a lot of the Greenstuffing done. Still need to add kit.

gallery_115548_16250_247009.jpg

And I've found my favourite guy in the army, so far:

gallery_115548_16250_111434.jpg

Also switched over one guy from the first Scout unit who was gonna be the Pack Leader. He's now been demoted and replaced with this guy:

gallery_115548_16250_347518.jpg

Second unit still needs a few Wulfen shoulders and I'm planning to put backpacks on the two Pack Leaders to kinda get that 2nd Ed Wolf Scout feel. As ever, the bitz are in the mail.

More when they turn up...

Cheers

PHM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Badger.

Right. Snag. Left Turn. Idea Change.

The problem with having to wait for so long for bitz to turn up is that it gives me time to think. Too much thinking. That thinking has lead me to the conclusion that I no longer like the Wolf Scouts.... Uuurrrggghhh! That is to say, I love the conversions, I love how they've turned out but after doing a whole army of Truescale Iron Hands for the last 18 months I just can't go back to Mini-Marines. In short, the Scouts are small, tiny even, to me now and I just don't like it. I wouldn't be happy with the army with them in it.

So, this has lead me to re-design my list and in doing so I've also had to drop the Reivers.... :wacko.: That's not a total loss tho. Since they are already Primaris scale I can repurpose them as Grey Hunters. Just need to up-armour the legs a little and get rid of the Grav Chutes and I'm sorted. No biggie.

The new army list is as follows:

Wolf Lord in Terminator Armour

-Pair of Wolf Claws

Runepriest

-Runestaff, Runic Armour

Grey Hunter Pack - 6 man

-Bolters, Plasma Gun, Power Axe

Grey Hunter Pack - 6 man

-Bolters, Plasma Gun, Power Axe

Wulfen Pack - 6 'man'

-Frost Claws, 3x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, 2x Wulfen Claws

Wulfen Pack - 6 'man'

Wulfen Pack - 6 'man'

Thunderwolf Cavalry - 3 man

-3x Wolf Claws, 3x Storm Shields

Thunderwolf Cavalry - 3 man

-3x Wolf Claws, 3x Storm Shields

This list still stays true to my original idea, allows me to actually have some Troop choices and lets me make some more Truescale boys. The Wulfen will need a little tinkering to bring them up to size but not much. The Thunderwolf Cav units are still gonna be something special that'll really fit my theme but I'm not letting that wolf out of the bag just yet.

There are bitz incoming for various things 'soon' (???) so hopefuly an update with a bit of eye candy soon.

Cheers

PHM

Well, inspiration does tend to be fickle a mistress at the best of times. I think you could use the Scouts as particularly well equipped kaerls, which seems fluffy for a company presumably low on marines that aren't becoming wolfmen. Looking forward to seeing the army at the end! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress! Bitz turned up and and I was able to actualy make a real, NOT FALSE, start on this army with an actual unit I will actually be keeping and using. Actually.

With the poor Wolf Scouts already off to a better home with another Great Company, I've done a little work on rejgging the once-Reivers into Grey Hunters but I'm still waiting on heads to turn up, but its something a bit bigger that has me excited. I salvaged a near-dead Daemon Prince for a bargain recently and scoured the BSS sites for Thunderwolf heads and Dreadnought weapons. Most of it has turned up and I've been busy the last few nights. Since I'm doing a very Wulfen-heavy list, and since truescaling Thunderwolves was NOT going to be fun, I thought... Thunderwulfen :yes:

gallery_115548_16250_174208.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_384083.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_287228.jpg

The greenstuff work is nowhere near done, there's a huge chunk out of his neck and his shoulder, I've gotta do something about his exposed crotch :blush.: , and then theres lots of little detailing to do, plus weapons, but you get the idea: BIG Wulfen. I'm working on some fluff to try to make them fit in lore-wise but I don't see it being too much of a stretch. There's gonna be 6 (!!!) of these buggers to do up, all with Storm Shields and Wolf Claws. I'm waiting on shields to show but I've got my Wolf Claws safely stashed in the bitz box. I've done a little trial just to see how they'll look:

gallery_115548_16250_115377.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_328713.jpg

Not sure which hand they'll end up on yet but I'm leaning towards the right, just feels better to me. Will have to see how it looks with the shield.

Anyway. Really had to get that posted and to prove this project had not died before it had even begun. There will be more WIP pics before this guy is fully done. I'm hoping to get a shoulder from a DP to put on him to add a bit of armour but still need to source.

Let me know what you think of the big boy and if I'm insane to attamept 6 of these damn things.

Cheers

PHM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Badger.

Gah, this army feels like its going nowhere when in fact it really isn't. I'm actually getting a lot of stuff done but I'm unable to finish anything while I wait for bitz to trickle in from accross the country and overseas. I've got orders from Zinge and SecretWeapon incoming that have been on order for around 6 weeks now. No-one wants to ship to Australia right now. Or more likely, we won't let anything in due to super-strict customes laws. They will come, jusy no idea when.

So while I wait for various parts, I work on what I have. Here is a group shot of what I've manged to do these last few weeks:

gallery_115548_16250_575729.jpg

That's my first pack of Grey Hunters (minus heads and Greenstuff), my first pack of Wulfen (minus 1 backpack and another Wulfen), and the first of the Thunderwulfen; now with weapons but still needing some armour and a heap of Greenstuffing.

Really happy with the look and feel of the army but I've been hesitant to post real pics till I can show something finished. Here's a closer pic of the Grey Hunters to show a little detail:

gallery_115548_16250_93891.jpg

I've got stuff coming in this week or early next to make the full second Grey Hunter pack, a Wolf Priest, a Wolf Lord and another Thunderwulfen. That'll leave me with 4 more Thunderwulfen to make and 2 more packs of Wulfen.

I'll get better pics going and I've got a lot of fluff working out in my brain that I'll put in here too. When I finish off each unit I'll give it some background and story that'll tie the force together.

More soon,

PHM

Looking nice. Any specific Great Company they are from or are you making a custom organisation?

The closest fit for my theme is probably Bran Redmaw's Great Company but I'm not going to have any specific company, or even pack, markings. My Iron Hands can have the uniformity, these guys do what they please. Fluff wise they'll be from Redmaw's but it really won't be important to my theme.

• 2 weeks later...

Squeeeee! I got bitz! Lots of bitz! I can get some units finished! Time for a BIG update.

Ok, so, as you may be able to guess, I'm super excited to finally get enough bitz in get some units finished and to really show off some actual progress. The biggest thing to turn up is my heads from Zinge Industries. These have been on order since early March!!! They turned up today... Anyway. These allow me to finally see my Grey Hunter unit completed:

gallery_115548_16250_274766.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_207130.jpg

These guys originally started off as my Reivers back when the list was pretty different to what it is now. I'd had these heads in mind then (and tell me they aren't great for SW Reivers...) but figured they'd work just as well for Grey Hunters in the new list. These guys use a whole heap of other bitz to get the look I want: bodies, lower legs and weapons are from Intercessors, upper legs and waist are from Goliath Gangers, arms are from Ork Shoota Boyz, backpacks, shoulders and wolfy bling are mainly from Grey Hunters/Bloodclaws, Pack Leader's axe and arms are Wulfen and there's a few MkIII, IV and VI shoulders in there for effect. For anyone interested, here's a pic of the back of one guy to see the leg and body connections:

gallery_115548_16250_84595.jpg

I've got enough parts backed up too to make a second unit of 7. Those will likely be next on the list.

I've also got a better shot of the first Wulfen Pack. Nothing special here other than a slight repose on a few guys and using a different base-model for the Pack Leader coz I HATE the leaping-hugging guy:

gallery_115548_16250_416543.jpg

There's still another member to add to the Pack. Also, the guy on the end graciously lent his backpack to this guy:

gallery_115548_16250_58271.jpg

My Wolf Priest :biggrin.: Its funny actually, the whole brain-worm that got me started on this army and really kicked my in to gear with it was to do a Rune Priest, not a Wolf Priest. But with GW shutdown and local stocks of the base-model I wanted being exhausted I had to hold off on making it. Then my army re-shuffle, then some OTHER brain-worms and I've ended up with this guy. And man am I happy. The moment I saw the Master of Executions model I knew he'd make a great Wolf Priest, and while I've seen a few people do this its been far fewer than I would have thought. The biggest conversion on this guy was chopping off the right pauldron, carving the inside out and using on the left side instead. I did this to A) get the better pose on the right arm, and if I'd put it back on the right arm it would foul horribly with the backpack and you wouldn't see half the detail. Since its a major focal point of the original model and a huge part of why I went with the MoE, I put it on the left instead to really show it off. As for bitz list: arms are Wulfen again, power fist is Wolf Guard Terminator, crozius topper is Games Day Wolf Priest and head is an all-time favourite of mine from the WHFB Chaos Marauders. Not at all the head I'd originally thought of for him but an absolute perfect fit I feel. Here's a few more shots around him:

gallery_115548_16250_497614.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_21631.jpg

gallery_115548_16250_112814.jpg

I'm going back to shorten that right arm as soon as this posts, its a tad ape-like. There's still greenstuff work for the Priest and Grey Hunters but as my supplies of GS are low right now I'm not sure If I want to use it to finish up all these guys or blow it all on working on the Thunderwulfen that has yet to be completed. We shall see.

Hope you all enjoy and that its been worth the wait and faffing around. Now that I'm really on a roll I hope to update more frequetly and with cooler stuff.

Cheers,

PHM