An inevitable switch to Ultramarines?

I've tested my color scheme quite a few times since starting this thread. Today I took sometime to sit down and try to get a finalized idea of how I wanted them to look. This was done fairly quickly on a MkIV test model. I really liked the darker blue from the HH Ultramarines and I ended up using a forge world recipe. I didn't go super heavy on the details with this one, but I have an Indomitus Captain and a Intercessor SGT that I'll able to post up soonish. The paint surface is kind of rough, I think it came from airbrushing guilliman blue glaze a little too thin and at a little too low psi. My first primaris models are looking alottt smoother (thank the emperor). I suck at taking pictures and getting things like lighting right but lemme know what you guys think.

E247-B5-D4-27-F7-4371-8-BA1-5822-F091484DDEAA9-FF-2-B7-A-4-DB5-9-F6-A-A76-CD555-0363-C315-3-E5-C-445-C-81-F8-4-DFA2-BA419-F54-A0-AE-2-BB2-4251-968-E-71-A61-C54-F29130-EA-55-C3-4-E90-A6-B1-19-B282-EFAF169867-C8-EEAB-41-EA-BD2-B-31828-B739059

Hobby wise I dove into the plastic for my Ultras waaay too hard and I have massive pile of shame to add on to my already massive pile of shame. Right now my UM collection consists of:

1x Indomitus set (with a possible minus of the assault intercessors)
Repulsor

Repulsor Executioner
Tigurius
Additional set of Outriders
1x10 Intercessors

I have 3x Impulsors and 1x10 infiltrators/incursors that I was planning on using for my Space Wolves, but I'm starting to wonder if I should put that army on hold entirely and just focus on growing and solidifying my Ultramarines for this edition, thus incorporating those units into my Ultras collection. That is why I said a possible minus for the AIs, Impulsors and AIs make a lot of sense in a SWs Army where they can run around with Ragnar and wreck stuff. I'm not sure if those units will fit as well with my Ultras. I definitely want to have unit role variety in my collection, but I was envisioning my Ultramarines as much of a shooty force more so than a choppy force. I really need to get the codex and do some Army rules reading.. that'd be a big for helping me know what composition my lists should have. 

Side note, anyone know how to change the title threads? I'd like to turn this into my hobby thread.

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally on winter break and I'm very much looking forward to chipping away at my ginormous back log.

Here's some updates on my Sgt. I'm super pleased about the way he's turning out!

UM-SGT-90-1.jpgUM-SGT-90-2.jpgUM-SGT-90-3.jpg

Any recommendations for a battle damage/chipping color for blue armor? 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

• 2 months later...

Still fighting the fickle for my paint scheme. I decided to give my SGT a very thinned down coat of streaking grime to see what a more gritty thick-of-the-fight would look like.

Here are some shots of the SGT:

IMG-2211.jpg

IMG-2274.png

IMG-2269.png

Having a little bit of trouble deciding between that and the natural color of the armor with out the SG

IMG-2264.png

IMG-2263.png

IMG-2262.png

IMG-2261.png

Thoughts from the community? I would really like this army to turn out as my most high level of tabletop standard. It's definitely not giving me an easy time though. I already had to strip an entire Repulsor because some of the paint dried rough and after gloss and flat varnish coats it just didn't look very nice at all. 

I love the streaking grime...I've never used the stuff, but I've bought some with the intent of makin my ultra's grittier...any tips?

It’s such a great product. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube showing how the product can be used. It’s generally better to use on a gloss surface and will make wiping away the streaking grime from the model’s surface easier. I did not use it on a gloss surface which is why I think I had an issue cleaning more of the streaking grime away.

The quick and dirty on streaking grime (pun intended) is:

Streaking grime is an enamel. If you aren’t used to using them you’ll need to buy synthetic brushes and paint thinner (enamel thinner) to clean the brushes

You’ll need white spirits or mineral spirits to thin the streaking grime enamel. Don’t use paint thinner. It’ll break down the enamel as well as your paint finish

You need to thin the streaking grime heavily. In this pic I did 1 part paint to 3 parts thinner. Then paint all over the models surface or limit it only to the locations you want to dirty

After the paint dries for a bit (an hour or so) you can use a q-tip and some mineral/white spirits to clean up excess streaking grime, leaving the paint wherever you want it to collect. Simply dip the q-tip, removed the excess, and wipe away. I’ve heard make up sponges work really well, too