(Fun) Flesh Tearer Character Builds

Xenith

Hi all,

Couldnt see a thread on this anywhere after a search, so now one exists!

I'm painting up some FT's, and need a couple of characters to make a batallion. I'm looking for some fun, interesting and fluffy ideas beyond the usual Slamguinius. 

What I'm looking for is a mix of model, relic/weapon, warlord trait, stratagems and special rules to make a badass beatstick or support character. I'm keen to know if theres anything you stumbled upon I might have missed.

Some ideas:

Captain: Merciless Butcher (+1A per 5 models in 3")/Of Wrath and Rage (bonus attack on 6's to hit); Death Visions; jump pack; 2nd Chainsword; Severer of Threads (+1S, -1AP, +D3A, MW's on a 6+ to wound).

Average 10A on the T3 charge plus bonus from WL trait, assume 10 hits with captan rerolls, wounds marines on 2+ with MW's on a natural 6+ proc on a 5+ with red thirst. Should get 3 1MW through as well as 7-8 normal wounds on MEQ. 93pts+1CP.

Captain: Of Wrath and Rage (bonus attack on 6+ to hit); Death visions; Jump pack; bolt pistol; Quake Bolts (+1 to hit), relic blade?. Bonus attacks proc on 6+ 5+ with quake bolts. Relic blade hits hard but doesnt have the -1 to hit. 

7A on the T3 charge, should get 2/3 1 more with quake and rerolls. 102pts+1CP.

Furioso Librarian - Cretacian Born ('nuff said), Master Crafted Halberd (can dreads take special issue wargear?)

Any good combos with Lightning claws for rerolls to wound? 

Edited by Xenith

Relic blade is unfortunately not worth it at the moment. If you want your Captain to punch hard go with a hammer or fist. The -1 to hit doesn't really matter with his re-rolls and native WS2+. Especially if you want to use Quake Bolts (or even just use the relic hammer). If you want to cut up lots of infantry then probably Lightning Claws or Chainsword (though imo we have more than enough attacks to not rely on those which kinda is the reason why you don't see other interesting loadouts for Captains).

That being said, while the Smash Captain is still a great build, we really don't need to rely on him anymore. Characters like the Librarian Dread, Chaplains with Mantra of Strength (especially Astorath) and Mephiston are great beatsticks too which aren't running the risk of draining you of all your CP and bring a little bit more to the table. For the cost of a Captain you could easily just take some VanVets instead which pretty much do the same job but offer more board control too while also protecting your other characters.

Sanguinary Priests are also a great HQ choice and iare highly recommended. The difference between S4 and S5 is quite big.

Something I like to use every once in a while, just to mess with my opponent, is a Phobos Librarian with the 2+/5++ armour and the -1 to-hit trait. Just a distraction Carnifex that plings away with Smite/Mind Raid/Tenebrous Curse/Hallucination. Let him sit in cover for a 0+ armour save too. The only thing that guy really fears are Mortal wounds coming back at him (curse my last opponent for a 6 damage Smite first turn! :biggrin.: ).

I also love my Gravis Captain with either Quake Bolts (goes nicely with his gauntlet since it counts as pistol) or the 5+++ armour to make him even more durable.

Captain: Merciless Butcher (+1A per 5 models in 3")/Of Wrath and Rage (bonus attack on 6's to hit); Death Visions; jump pack; 2nd Chainsword; Severer of Threads (+1S, -1AP, +D3A, MW's on a 6+ to wound).

Average 10A on the T3 charge plus bonus from WL trait, assume 10 hits with captan rerolls, wounds marines on 2+ and MW's proc on a 5+ with red thirst. Should get 3MW through as well as 7-8 normal wounds on MEQ. 93pts+1CP.

It's Mortal wounds on an unmodified wound roll of 6+, so Red Thirst won't help with that.

can dreads take special issue wargear?

Unfortunately they can't or else I would have long since given my Librarian Dread the 2+/5++ armour. :biggrin.:

Edited by Panzer

Thanks for the feedback, dont have my copy of BoB on me so was going off the rules description on 1d4chan. Same about the unmodified 6+

Something I like to use every once in a while, just to mess with my opponent, is a Phobos Librarian with the 2+/5++ armour and the +1 to-hit trait. 

I also love my Gravis Captain with either Quake Bolts (goes nicely with his gauntlet since it counts as pistol) or the 5+++ armour to make him even more durable.

Both great ideas too, the artificer armour on the libby or a prist would be fun. The mindraid/tenebrous curse combo also seems fun, as you can target anyone. I'll definitely paint up a rage librarian!

A priest at some point would also be good for Sorrow's Genesis on Aggressors or plasma inceptors...

Edited by Xenith

Something I like to use every once in a while, just to mess with my opponent, is a Phobos Librarian with the 2+/5++ armour and the +1 to-hit trait. 

I need to correct myself a little bit here. Of course I meant the minus 1 to-hit trait on the Phobos Librarian, not +1 to-hit. It's called Stealth Adept iirc. :sweat:

I need to correct myself a little bit here. Of course I meant the minus 1 to-hit trait on the Phobos Librarian, not +1 to-hit. It's called Stealth Adept iirc. :sweat:

I got that. I't really nice that it works in close combat also. It's a shame all the magic things are on unmodified 6's. It takes the fun out of a lot of stuff - I was looking at the phobos warlord trait for +1 to hit and Infiltrators auto wound on a 6, but no dice. 

Might have to see if I can take a Legends Librarian with a chainsword to stack Severer of threads with Quickening. 

Yeah GW quickly backtracked on the modifiers thing and now everything is on unmodified rolls unfortunately. I guess it was just too much to handle for them balancing wise.

Edited by Panzer