Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yet another Blood Ravens hobby blog: adventures in contrast

Space Marines Primaris Blood Ravens hobby blog WIP contrast paints repainting

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Darkjediben

Darkjediben

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts
  • Faction: Necrons, Astartes

As GW's facebook teaches us, there is nothing better than MOAR LIEUTENANTS!!!

So here are my Dark Imperium Lieutenants, completing my command structure for the COVID19 Corvus division of the Blood Ravens.

l2zzshh.jpg

R9VmVtb.jpg

And of course, a group shot. What was once a handful of squads is starting to form up in to more of a crimson battalion and I love it.

fDTT9gm.jpg

Next up I'll be swapping between some rank and file intercessors and base coating my Invictor warsuit. My Khorne Red came today!

• Grotsmasha likes this

Darkjediben

Darkjediben

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts

Since my last update I've been focusing on school and spending a little time experimenting with new basing materials. I'm pleased to present my first foray into cork bases and my first primaris dreadnought frame: The Invictor Tactical Warsuit!

9LjpIPr.jpg

PMMI2Os.jpg

k4H2wBH.jpg

A nice shot of the latest edition to the Blood Ravens Covid Corvus Vanguard:

iC2XOMa.jpg

And of course, I'd be remiss to magnetize the warsuit and not show you all how he looks with an incendium cannon at the ready to bring cleansing fire to the heretic!

aTih7FU.jpg

1aCVKhD.jpg

I really enjoyed making this fella. I think the bone colored shoulder plates really help to convey the idea that the warsuit is an accessory to the infiltrators (plus I lucked out with the ultramarines transfer sheet having a gigantic number 2 when I made the infiltrators second squad). As the army is starting to come together, I've started idly thinking about what's next. A single warsuit seems a touch vulnerable deployed all the way far forward, but I think he'd look great with a pal. A full on Redemptor Dreadnought for fire support to round out the big blocky robot trio would be exactly what the boys in red should steal acquire next.

Next update: Some rank and file intercessors!

Edited by Darkjediben, 24 April 2020 - 05:33 AM.

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 768 posts

Did you change your painting technique for the dread?

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

https://i.imgur.com/YxV2bFv.png <-This is what the Warhammer 40k setting is about.

Darkjediben

Darkjediben

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts

@Lucerne, yes, I forgot to mention that in the post.

Contrast doesn't provide even enough coverages over vehicle-sized flat surfaces. For the dreadnought I switched to several thin coats of Khorne Red.

I lost out on a lot of the butter smooth finish of contrast, as traditional paint doesn't seek the same level the way the more fluid contrast paint does, even with thinners. This is where my lack of painting ability isn't obscured by the amazingly thin contrast paints.

I don't have a painting set-up that accommodates an airbrush for the moment, so I've resigned myself to allowing the flat panels of my vehicles look, well...painted on. Frankly you can see the paint strokes on actual military grade vehicles when you get up close, anyways, they don't usually apply thick paint to battleships with the fine airbrush you see on consumer grade cars. I think the matte varnish over the top helps smooth out a lot of the details, but ultimately it's tough to smoothly finish a vehicle with a manual brush. The pilot on the inside IS painted with contrast paint, though, so it's clear the pilot at least is the same as the rest of the fellas.

At the end of the day, the warsuit looks great in the group shot, so I'm content with the color match and overall appearance.

Edited by Darkjediben, 24 April 2020 - 07:21 AM.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,506 posts

Are you going to be doing up the FORCE COMMANDER himself?

On the topic of eyes - I like to do mine by just applying a dark wash into the eye sockets. Seems to look pretty good. Then again, I'm doing what GW would consider "Battle Ready".

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpg

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Darkjediben

Darkjediben

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts

@Zephaniah, I'm very much wanting to do GABRIEL ANGELOS, THE FORCE COMMANDER!!!! I'm in grad school, but once I start making cash money again that's top of the purchase list.

I also wanna do a venerable dreadnought for ol' Davian Thule at some point down the line.

Here's a small update, everyone, first half of an intercessors squad. I've got finals this week, so we're going on hiatus for a bit.

ScHPrpc.jpg

PosK9jJ.jpg

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,506 posts

Ooh, nicely done. I like the use of different colors of purity seal.

Also, ah... I was referring to a certain bald and fewlish lad by the name of Indrick Boreale. biggrin.png

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.pnggallery_30308_9518_3596.jpg

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Darkjediben

Darkjediben

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts

@Zephaniah I'm totally unwilling to pay full vehicle prices for a disposable drop pod, so I'm afraid STEEL REHN is out of the picture until/unless I develop some papercraft skills.

Here's the back half of the intercessors, sorry for the delay, final exams were last week:

H9nXZRf.jpg

Here's the full squad, although you can't see them all in this poorly framed picture:

CwOUU7m.jpg

And lastly, I got some miniature brush in from the UK this week, so here's a full army pic with some bushes attached to various miniature bases. I picked two kinds, one a dead bush that matches my base color palette, the second a bright green bush with tan rocks. The rocks tie them to the base, the green ties to the lenses and scopes. 

bHgKMp0.jpg

Next up will either be hellblasters or inceptors from Dark Imperium, haven't decided yet and both are base coated on my desk next to me. I've got a few vehicles in the online orders pipeline as well!

• Grotsmasha, hushrong and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,334 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Your Blood Ravens are great!

Edited by hushrong, 13 May 2020 - 12:10 PM.

• Darkjediben likes this

Black Legion: The Fire Rises

Dornian Heresy: Iron Hands Raiders

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Darkjediben

Darkjediben

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts

Today I've got some buzzing bumbling bumblebee looking Ravens for you. Those chonky bois, the Dark Imperium inceptors!

viKiKWf.jpg

5V8Jp1v.jpg

GzHRFO4.jpg

Their squad number is blank because I haven't decided if they're squad 5, or if I'm rolling them into squad 3 with my suppressors as sort of an aerial combat jump squad. The numbers are entirely fluff anyways, so I can pretty much do as I please. 

This wound up being the very first sergeant I made actually wearing his bone colored helmet. I was really enjoying practicing faces, but eventually somebody's gotta think about safety. OSHA would have a fit! 

Once I finish the 5 hellblasters I've got in the pipeline, I'll have officially done it: Painted 2 full starter sets and completed the base of an army. Except I totally failed at my objective to do it before buying new models. In the interim I've acquired another box of intercessors (I'll be running em in 5s so both sergeants are gonna have helmets), a predator (looking forward to magnetizing that beast), another warsuit with a custom 3D printed cockpit, and I've got a Leviathan Dread with stormcannons, a repulsor executioner, and a drop pod on the way.

Damn you, plastic crack.

• Grotsmasha likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Space Marines, Primaris, Blood Ravens, hobby blog, WIP, contrast paints, repainting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users