Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What scattered the primarchs

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
As I recall, the pivotal scene etched into our collective memory as readers is in the opening trilogy of the HH series, i.e. Horus witnesses the scattering of the infant primarchs by the Primordial Annihilator

Spoiler

Anyone else have other theories of how

Spoiler

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts
  • Faction: Khorne
All Warp Power, is Chaos.

It doesn't matter who uses it.

That's how I am resolving this. I'm not going to assume
Spoiler

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

calgar101

calgar101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,350 posts
I would say either she struck a deal with the pantheon or was a pawn.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,273 posts

Whatever the author feels like did it at any given time. Probably Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau.

• rookieguy59, mc warhammer, Ingo Pech and 1 other like this

SpAcEGhOsT095

SpAcEGhOsT095

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 97 posts

Until proven otherwise, I am of the belief that was Omegon in a wig.

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,471 posts

i'm kinda curious about the actual mechanics of it. what did she use to slingshot the babies into space?

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

Xisor

Xisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,184 posts
Psychic phenomena/perils of the Warp entirely accounts for it, in my estimation.

There isn't cause/effect any more than "the Emperor tried to manifest a power, and it went not entirely to plan..."

See also genies/wishes.

Emperor & psykers casting such a big spell, it's got a fair chance of going wrong, or at least not entirely correctly.

Look at the Dark Heresy 2 psychic rules: "To cast CREATE PRIMARCH I'm gonna have to be at least level ten, so I'll have to PUSH to get that +3 level bonus, but that's an auto Psychic Phenomena roll, with a +15 modifier. Pfft, it'll probably just rot all the fruit in a 10*PRkm radius, nothing terrible.

*rolls d100*

Cast!

*rolls d100*

Gravity inverts?! Maybe I should fate a re-roll. Fine...

*rolls a d100*

Hey, where did all the caskets go?"

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts

i'm kinda curious about the actual mechanics of it. what did she use to slingshot the babies into space?

Spoiler

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,471 posts

Spoiler

yeah, "warp shenanigans" and all that entails seems to be the only choice in my mind, but i'm just wondering whether the book actually details the nuts and bolts

Edited by mc warhammer, 07 April 2020 - 01:06 AM.

'WHEN WE CONFRONTED THE CORRUPTED, HOMICIDAL HORUS WHO ONCE USED TO SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTEST STAR, WHO USED TO BE OUR BELOVED FAVOURITE – WHEN THE FATE OF THE GALAXY HUNG BY A THREAD – WERE WE NOT COMPELLED TO EXPEL ALL COMPASSION? ALL LOVE? ALL JOY? THOSE WENT AWAY. HOW ELSE COULD WE HAVE ARMOURED OURSELVES? EXISTENCE IS TORMENT, A TORMENT THAT MUST NOURISH US. EVIDENTLY WE MUST STRIVE TO BE THE FIERCE REDEEMER OF MAN, YET WHAT WILL REDEEM US?’

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts

Spoiler

• mc warhammer likes this

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,381 posts

Wasn't there a scene in an earlier Heresy book of some traitors being brought to see that happen by some warp shenanigans?  It's been at least a few years so I might be mistaken.  

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts

Wasn't there a scene in an earlier Heresy book of some traitors being brought to see that happen by some warp shenanigans?  It's been at least a few years so I might be mistaken.  

Yes, in The First Heretic, it was Argel Tal and his squad, but they were in the Eye of Terror, in the middle of what could easily be justified to be a vision/lie/dream/nightmare.

• Nemesor Tyriks likes this

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

BrainFireBob

BrainFireBob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 771 posts
First Heretic. The Word Bearers damage the Gellar fields around the pods keeping the Primarchs in their warp wombs. Valdor is there, as is Big E. Big E initially telekinetically stops them, then does a "so be it" and releases them into the warp. Implication is he rolled with it and didn't fight it.

Ties into the perfect landings of so many Primarchs- psychic judo. Used the Chaos God's snatch force against them to slingshot them to "relatively" appropriate havens

Edited by BrainFireBob, 07 April 2020 - 01:47 AM.

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,381 posts

Yes, in The First Heretic, it was Argel Tal and his squad, but they were in the Eye of Terror, in the middle of what could easily be justified to be a vision/lie/dream/nightmare.

Yes! Thank you.  I should re-read that, I remember enjoying it but not much else.

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,273 posts

At this point, I'm honestly more confused what kind of bargain the Emperor struck on Molech to begin with. We now know this and that about the Primarchs' creation, probably too much, but still have no real answer as to where that Molech bit fits in.

Spoiler

We know the Gods consider the Emperor not just a regular old threat to themselves, but also a traitor who didn't uphold a bargain, and that the Emperor went into that portal and had Alivia Sureka keep watch over it just in case he needs it again. How does that fit into the mix now, with these recent retcons? The bloke has a full cast of super competent geneticists working on the project, did nobody ever figure "hey, what's this weird goop in the biomaterial"?

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,381 posts

At this point, I'm honestly more confused what kind of bargain the Emperor struck on Molech to begin with. We now know this and that about the Primarchs' creation, probably too much, but still have no real answer as to where that Molech bit fits in.

Spoiler

We know the Gods consider the Emperor not just a regular old threat to themselves, but also a traitor who didn't uphold a bargain, and that the Emperor went into that portal and had Alivia Sureka keep watch over it just in case he needs it again. How does that fit into the mix now, with these recent retcons? The bloke has a full cast of super competent geneticists working on the project, did nobody ever figure "hey, what's this weird goop in the biomaterial"?

I also don't get the timeline of his trip to Molech.  Maybe I missed something but he had Primarchs with him, right?  Was that a second trip?  Was the first before the Dark Age of Technology?  That whole plot, I felt, muddled things up.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
The Warp/soul enhancement is probably separate from the bio material, I would imagine. It's still a mystery how E infused the primarchs with Warp essence, unless the "undesired" trip through the Warp was the final ingredient.

Spoiler

[w]

BrainFireBob

BrainFireBob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 771 posts
I always suspected Emps got the better of the bargain, not that he broke it.

Either the Primarch's daemon-killing gifts, or half would fall to Chaos- and Emps stacked the deck so they got the crazies. Maybe the Marines were a freebie. Maybe they doubled his power, and he planted it as 20 "seeds". Or maybe it was a loan he took from the Warp and put in stable physical bodies where they couldn't reclaim it.

Heck, maybe the two missing Primarchs were dog piled at a hint of corruption, so the Big Four couldn't get their tithe.

Edited by BrainFireBob, 07 April 2020 - 03:40 AM.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
Is there anything concrete stating that the Emperor borrowed from the Warp to boost the primarchs?

Could it be that the Emperor originally intended the primarchs "merely" to be genetically perfect warrior-generals, and the Warp empowerment

Spoiler

The Emperor then ran with it, realising that the Warp shenanigans resulted in less stable but also more potent primarchs.

So back to the old debate over whether the Emperor intended for the primarchs to be whisked through the Warp, but the debate could be extended to whether the Emp intended for his "sons" to be Warp infused.

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,256 posts

Rampant Speculation (or how I wish it was).

Spoiler

Edited by Scribe, 07 April 2020 - 04:53 AM.

• Kelborn likes this

Smash Fascists.

DISOBEY

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,990 posts
I think Erda would fit into 5 neatly

nagashnee

nagashnee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 291 posts

I honestly dont think BL knows or has any clear ideas other then 'popular authors opinion in new book xxx'.  Which i believe is their idea of ambiguous origins.  

• Indefragable likes this

The Mechanicum Never Deletes Anything.

Scammel

Scammel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 546 posts

I also don't get the timeline of his trip to Molech.  Maybe I missed something but he had Primarchs with him, right?  Was that a second trip?  Was the first before the Dark Age of Technology?  That whole plot, I felt, muddled things up.

I don't recall there being any implication that the Emperor's activities on Molech were in aid of anything other than personal empowerment. The Primarchs were definitely around and were themselves unchanged by events on Molech, besides the Emperor wiping their memories.

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,075 posts
The first trip to Molech was sometime during the age of strife, when he went into the portal to gain whatever he got/took from the warp. He got there in a spaceships but didn’t leave in it, so must have got back to earth using warp shenanigans.

The second trip was during the crusade with several of the primarchs, and resulted in Molech being compliant and heavily fortified.

Of course the first trip to Molech was the first in context of Vengful Spirit plot, he could have been there before during the Age of Technology or some such. He acquired prior knowledge of the portal there somehow.
  • DarkChaplain, Karhedron and Nemesor Tyriks like this

Phoebus

Phoebus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,152 posts
  • Faction: Luciferi Imperialis

Rampant Speculation (or how I wish it was).

Spoiler

My thoughts on the matter, based on the readings available:

Spoiler

Edited by Phoebus, 07 April 2020 - 02:17 PM.

• Lord_Caerolion and mc warhammer like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users