Remobilization of the Mordian 19th

Hello, longtime listener first time caller.

I’ve been steadily painting, building and collecting (read: amassing a closet of shame) for the last bunch of years, I used to run a blog/plog over on blogger detailing my minis and progress. Time and circumstances have now enabled me to do a lot more painting and modelling, and seeing all the posts here has provided some motivation and a few ideas.

I have an obscenely large collection of Mordians in various stages of painting, priming and plain metal, while I haven’t bought any new in a long time, there was a fairly decent chance that if you got sniped on an EBay lot of Mordians from 2010-2016 it was me.

My goal initially was to fill out a whole company of them (300+) but that was editions ago and the way to build an army has changed significantly in 8th edition. I’m now just painting them as a labour of love and a way to fight the stress of being an highly exposed essential worker in a pandemic. Expect some decently regular updates on current projects which will be either, standard infantry, repainting of tanks in to Mordian heraldry, and a sprinkling of characters to keep things fresh (I also have a LOT of OOP scenery and terrain that I need to paint but find daunting)

Hoping to find a new community to share the hobby with.

The Mordian 19th shall rise again from their dusty shelves!

Great we need more Mordians! Especially know with Magnus harassing us! Can't wait to see what you've got lined up

I may possibly have some of your old models based on your comments :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome,

I'm not overly savvy on making use of forums or the tools, so this may be slow and awkward to start but I believe I successfully uploaded some trial pictures to a gallery (my gallery?) its quite late currently, I will try and figure out how to embed them into a lovely explanatory post here tomorrow (later today technically)  

Alright, I followed directions posted by duz_ so lets see if i can get these to post. One of my biggest hang-ups with my Mordians was the armoured division. how to paint a large tank in a possibly urban camo scheme. my old efforts for tanks weren't overly inspired, mainly simplistic, anythings-better-than-sprue-plastic choices:[/size]
gallery_209737_16260_124386.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_174290.jpg

so one night, it just kind of struck me, if Mordians wear their parade dress into battle, why can't their motor pool be parade ready vehicles, so i matched my tank paint scheme to the battle dress of my Mordians: deep blue over black chased in silver with gold Aquillas. so for here are a Chimera and Hellhound who are almost complete, as well as a command squad for colour reference[/size]

gallery_209737_16260_140871.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_165929.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_174495.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_37477.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_55160.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_147973.jpg

the command squad was painted almost a decade ago and could use some minor touchups (and a blast of compressed air to remove some dust) but the tanks suit them well and I am moving forward with almost all my armour

So, I've really enjoyed following everyone's Chalnath Expanse Liberation vows and the beautiful miniatures that have come out of it. I thought I would post some of my Tempestus Scions in solidarity for the event. First I have 43 of these brave warriors (but Mike, how do you get 43 of something sold in multiples of 5? Easy, somewhere in my box of perplexing-plastic-projects are two more scions destined for plasma gun conversion) I really like these minis, fun to work with, more options than most GW kits, and a really cool aesthetic with the baroque styling on the armour. full disclosure none of them have backpacks yet. I do have the backpacks, (likely in the same place as my 2 lost troopers) but i haven't attached them yet. I present to you the 43rd Altairan Bears

gallery_209737_16260_287898.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_291552.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_270080.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_259275.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_29441.jpg

The colour scheme is similar to the Mordian 19th which the Altairan Bears are currently seconded to, however the scions have more brass and red accents. I will post a photo of their Tauroxes in a couple of days, they are distinct from the Mordian motor pool. I have also an obscene amount of Valkyries/vendettas which pull double duty for both the Scions and the Mordians, but only 6 of them are close to completion at this time.

Actually funny you should mention, when I was cleaning out the basement on day 1 or 2 of covid-confinement I found an entire box of basing materials including some cool looking volcanic sand and little rubble sized rocks. So at some point when I have a free day, (or at least a shorter honey-do list) I will have a giant basing day, complete with air compressor for some dust removal.

What's next for the Mordian 19th?

Continuing my break from painting vast swathes of Mordian infantry, I am currently wrapping up the first wave of Mordian armoured support, which will give me 2 Hellhounds, 4 Chimeras, 2 Basilisks and 1 Leman Russ (currently fielded as Annihilator, long story i will detail in a later post). I will try and photo the group of them later this week when I am off work for a few days. The next project currently waiting in the queue is some super heavy support in the form of a standard Baneblade and an Hellhammer
gallery_209737_16260_274964.jpg
they are both at about the halfway stage, the Baneblade is a standard configuration with removable sponsons, the Hellhammer has just been returned from Garrison duty on the Mordian system's shrine world of Luminaria and bears Adepta Soroitas Iconography alongside the more standard Imperial Guard markings and the purging heavy flamers favoured by the Faithful.

I will update these 2 as they finish.

• 3 weeks later...

A long overdue update,
Somehow, with almost everything being shuttered and on lockdown I am more busy than before Covid19, between work and household duties my hobby time in the last 2 weeks has been reduced. That said I've made some solid progress on the standard Mordian baneblade, I anticipate finishing it over the next 2 days but here is where we stand and what is left
gallery_209737_16260_144019.jpg
gallery_209737_16260_98268.jpg

Remaining to be completed: dry brush of tracks, an handful of rivets on the front, Glass for the searchlight, headlights and 2 suitably Mordian looking crew, 1 for the stubber gunner, and likely a shaved down Mordian Lieutenant for the tank officer. hope to update this soon!

Finally completed my Mordian Baneblade, the "Mactus Nox" I learned and relearned a bunch of things completing it too. Firstly, the more you want to complete a project; the better the weather and the more stuff piled on my to-do list. Secondly, hazard stripes that i always enjoyed on classic era Mordians are not something I am good at painting free hand, the small ones on the Baneblade took me days and hours to get looking even close to passable. Overall I enjoyed finishing this and am pleased with the results, but will likely change projects to infantry or air support for a bit of a break.

gallery_209737_16260_277422.jpg
Frontal view of the Mactus Nox with its tank officer and support gunner.

gallery_209737_16260_57924.jpg
I wanted to make the Baneblade unique, so not using the standard Mordian lieutenant was appealing to me, I found an old vahallan lieutenant who fit the unique requirement. I also wanted a gunner who fit in with the rest of my Mordians, so i used the torso from an heavy weapons team, then committed a small heresy by cutting the lower legs from an old pratorian model so as not to reduce my overall supply of metal Mordians and built the pintle gunner.

gallery_209737_16260_264201.jpg
Sideview with the aforementioned hazard stipes on the engine intakes, and the name plate which may require a small touchup

gallery_209737_16260_280673.jpg
Finally the main power plant and engine of the Baneblade, more hazard stripes on the fuel access doors.

Re-mobilized and ready to serve the Mordian 19th in bringing glory to the Holy Emperor

Just a quick update, my long awaited package arrived today. An excellent upgrade to my table setup:
gallery_209737_16260_1286044.jpg

a beautiful FAT Mat to replace my beige paisley table cloth.

My next goal is to find a company that prints custom poster, that teal background has gotta go.

more updates to follow soon

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief text only update, and a materials question. Hobby time is still pinched given work and the increasingly nice spring weather. I have added another 4 Mordian tanks to the completed armour ranks of the 19th, and I will have an updated photo of the motor pool in the next week.

But here is the all important materials question: I need a way to seal and protect my tanks; and more importantly it needs to be available in Canada. My Mordian 19th have been pointed out as too glossy in the past, which makes sense, pretty sure as an amateur hobbyist I sealed a lot of minis with GW ‘ardcoat. So now with the repaint of the armour and the addition of more squads to the barracks I need some matte protection. I know testors dullcote is the gold standard, I can’t find It, I can’t order it from FLGS, and I can only get a single can for the uneconomical price of $40USD +shipping from eBay/Amazon. So what are some other Canadian available options that aren’t overly glossy, or hazy?

Mr. Super clear?

Krylon?

Vallejo?

• 2 weeks later...

Well that took longer than I intended.

despite my lack of posting, I have been busily working away still on Mordian armour, still follow the new threads (yea 9th edition) and primarily working outside as eastern Canada has a tragically short growing season for food and flowers. Last night I was able to put the finishing details on 4 tanks that have been so very close to complete for the past week.

gallery_209737_16260_327970.jpeg

another completed chimera joins the growing ranks

gallery_209737_16260_380746.jpeg

A demolisher and an executioner with swapable sponsons join the completed Leman Russ annihilator

gallery_209737_16260_117406.jpeg

2 of 3 basilisks have been completed, although I may use some spare Mordian mortar teams to crew them at a late date

gallery_209737_16260_29986.jpeg

View of just the completed tanks arrayed against the too glossy starfield background (working on that presently, think i can matte spray it) still better than the teal from previous photos

I've got some packages coming, including lots of basing materials, some scenery and more tanks. I think my next project will be the second baneblade and the third basilisk to finish the artillery back line. more updates soon (weather permitting)