Remobilization of the Mordian 19th

Yea but can’t you imagine some poor Mordian trooper prepping for morning muster: boots aren’t shined enough, or he is an half-step out of sync for parade formation. No commissar required, report to platoon lieutenant: “Trooper for failing to uphold Mordian’s glorious standards in service to the Holy Emperor of Mankind, today you will buff and shine rivets... ALL OF THEM”

Rivets are hard moulded into the kit, as for colouration? I use GW goopy silver, which is to say any metallic GW paint that has aged 6 months or a year, natural drying in the pot makes it consistency of syrup, apply with number 2 round brush. I have to clean up maybe 1 in every 30 where the paint misses the rivet just a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was hopeful to have finished my next baneblade variant for photos today, but it was not to be. The reasons are many, the continued good weather, the arrival (only 2.5 months late for delivery) of FF7 remake, and a child's graduation with all the fun covid limitations. But progress continues, however slowly, I often get some painting done in the wee hours of the morning, and on break at work, but I've reached the detail stage where transporting a baneblade damages the finer details and metallics, so work will have to be strictly at home. I had a birthday a while back and now that forgeworld reopened I received a gift I had been looking at for a long time. The arrival time coincides with my upcoming vacation, where I intend to spend days at the lake and nights working exclusively on Mordian/Scion air support. I should also have the baneblade finished prior to departure.

gallery_209737_16260_50014.jpeg

gallery_209737_16260_163566.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's 2 prescient decisions I've made in the past 2 months, I'd like to claim foresight bordering on clairvoyance <furtively checks skies for black ships> but realistically it was just good luck. As to which decisions I am referring, the first is the above mentioned aircraft punisher cannons I've wanted these for my second-hand vulture for a long time, they are just so iconic, provide anti-infantry and light armour fire, and create a must-be-dealt-with threat with high mobility. Sadly as mentioned by Hiroitchi any search for them now on Forgeworld returns as follows

gallery_209737_16260_137746.jpg
Here's to hoping this is but a temporary issue soon to be corrected by munitorum adepts

the second issue was one addressed by the commissariat and has become exceptionally important with 9th imminent. First the definition that matters

gallery_209737_16260_93832.jpg
"a simple finish on their bases" <checks wave upon wave of black slotta bases with occasional green sawdust flocked base circa the previous millennium>

So unless i want to cough up 10 VP and because I am aiming for completion and display worthy (by mine own standards) it was time to think about basing, I needed to augment my meager basing supplies and despite the pandemic War World Scenics was still shipping through amazon. Although the local postal service was severely hampered by unprecedented volume, roughly 6 weeks later my package arrived

gallery_209737_16260_62999.jpg
Unfortunately either a malevolent conveyor machine spirit, or a postal servitor was attacked by khornate beserkers or genestealers

gallery_209737_16260_336698.jpg

However the contents were undamaged; The Emperor protects!

In the coming days I hope to detail my vacation hobbying and baneblade update now that I am back on Wifi.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm not dead. Sometimes real life gets so very busy and I don't get to hobby as much as I would like if at all. Been a really busy few months, but with the family back in school I am finally able to better allocate my free time to a little bit of hobbying. I will post those promised Baneblade pictures in the next few days, just a couple of touchups needed before I photo it.

I love forgeworld and have always been envious of those who field those gorgeous minis that really make their armies standout and unique. One of my absolute favourite minis that I remember from early on when I started seriously into collecting was the Lightning fighter. When the opportunity came to pick this up on Ebay for essentially retail price 6 or 7 years ago, I just couldn't resist. This has sat unpainted, then primed in the closet of shame for WAY WAY too long, taunting me with its awesomeness. This is my first fully resin kit, its nearly finished and thought it would be a good place to start from after being away from hobbying for over a month.

gallery_209737_16260_2770.jpg

I just love the profile, colour was something I agonized over for this particular model, I debated whether to tie it directly to my Mordians with their colourations and heraldry, but in the end I elected to keep it the same as my other naval aircraft but with crimson accents

gallery_209737_16260_83311.jpg

The reverse wings really make it unique, It will make an excellent addition to my airwing

gallery_209737_16260_75200.jpg

A slightly droopy autocannon is the only real issue, I've straightened it with an hairdryer, but over time it tends to droop slightly, I may strengthen it with a length of copper wire if the issue persists. Further updates in the coming days, I'm debating enclosing the canopy, or using an alternate clear plastic canopy as a finishing touch. I'm also ashamed to say, shame closet has an unassembled lightning Strike to be this guys wingman, but that is a considerable period of time away from my planned projects.

Finally, my second Baneblade in this case an Hellhammer "Ignis Vero" is finally complete (pending addition of a commander popping out of the top hatch) This took me a long time to complete, and to be honest I was more than a little disheartened that guard super heavies have not received any sort of substantial survivability or usability improvement yet in 9th

I apologize for the lighting, I'm rushing in an effort to get supper on the table for the family.

gallery_209737_16260_284158.jpg

frontal view of the Hellhammer

gallery_209737_16260_99560.jpg

The Ignis Vero has just recently returned to the Mordian 19th following garrison duties on the systems Shrineworld "Luminaria". This is reflected in the iconography displayed on the tank which includes not only the standard Aquila but also the icons and sacred emblems of the faithful Sororitas with whom they have most recently defended Luminaria against chaos' dark predations.

gallery_209737_16260_466582.jpg

couldn't quite get the focus on the emblems I wanted

gallery_209737_16260_417781.jpg

Side by side view of both the 19th completed super heavies more to come as the remaining 2 baneblades come off the assembly line.

In other fun news: I spent a couple of hours poking around in the shame closet and shame cupboard looking for the canopy for my nearly complete Forgeworld lightning. Alas it appears to be missing, fortunately I have a suitable replacement which will require a minimal amount of card stock to put into place

AND

I found amongst neglected boxes of imperial war materiel my next project: 1 nearly complete Forgeworld Thunderbolt fighter.

It’s worth noting I’m not affixing optional weapon systems to any of the hard points at this time, no missiles and just the standard gun loadout as with the imperial armour compendium about to drop, its less about modelling for “peak performance”, and more about modelling for the “pray its still legal”

Well that was fast, I've had some days off and the weather has been rather stormy, giving me both the time and justification to go hard on modelling.

I bought this Thunderbolt secondhand, it came with a lovely desert camo scheme and had most of its glued components fall off during international shipping, but I love the model, kept up my flyer colour scheme and tried something new for this particular build.

gallery_209737_16260_480367.jpg

One of the neat things about older forgeworld models is the canopy's had no clear glass or clear resin, if they did it came out looking yellowish. the thunderbolt is supposed to be an high altitude aerial assault and superiority fighter, but how can the poor naval airman survive without an enclosed cockpit?

gallery_209737_16260_248134.jpg

Enter clear parts and window glue. This stuff is great. I freehand cut the windows from a piece of plastic packaging (like model blister pack for example) with a pair of sharp crafting scissors and then used a toothpick to apply a small bead of clear parts glue to the inner edge of the canopy. I then pushed the window in place and let it dry for an hour, the result is a clear enclosed canopy with no haze from plastic cement and it looks like it was intended to.

gallery_209737_16260_559584.jpg

Side profile view just before touchups

gallery_209737_16260_753196.jpg

Finished thunderbolt*

*missing from photo are the base (yes I'm going to do a nice base for him) and the missiles/bombs for the hardpoints. I have a few of each, but i dont want to commit until Imperial Armour Compendium comes out soon. I also find that with such large surface area, this model likely would be improved with some waterslide transfers (which would likely necessitate me also putting decals on my other completed flyers) but that is likely a project for later days.

Overall, really pleased with how this reassembled and turned out, both of my jobs are ramping up in the coming weeks, so I expect a slow down in hobby projects for at least part of the autumn season.

That’s the plan, I have maybe some discarded items off an accessory spruce, or a couple of salvage items that are not serviceable which I bought second hand. I also have bits of an incomplete tau hammerhead which I might take a rotary cutter to. There are lots of options, and as it is a unique model, I would be more inclined to invest more into the base than I would the average Valkyrie.

I approve of using the Tau Hammerhead's wreck to decorate the Thunderbolt's base. If you have a drill, use it on the wreckage, and paint scorch marks on the hull, so it'll look like the Thunderbolt strafed the xeno vehicle with its quad autocannon and twin lascannon.

• 5 weeks later...

A brief and somewhat dissapointed update:

working both jobs again is kicking my butt, happy to have money for winter tires and Christmas but working an extra 2 days out of every 8 is really cutting down on my hobby time. this was not unforeseen, I actually had a conference in an hotel a couple of weeks back and because of social distancing I spent the off hours watching old movies and painting and assembling a Lightning Strike Fighter to add to my Airwing, worked out fairly well, I should have it finished up shortly after Halloween.

When last I posted I had planned on basing my Thunderbolt and adding a wrecked Tau hover tank to the rubble. I encountered a couple of problems with this plan: Hammerheads are big, considerably larger than can probably be displayed on the standard Valkyrie flying base effectively. I am also regrettably short on Valk bases, an hazard from some ebay buying and resellers I think. Solving both problems I have opted to use Imperial Knight bases to display the Forgeworld flyers as I have lots of those. Which brings us to the flying stand, I decided to order some lucite rods from Amaz... [worlds largest shipping retailer], but due to a confluence of a nurgle plague and a localized warp storm, the supply ship was lost. I reordered them and they finally arrived today

gallery_209737_16260_299009.jpg

12 inch by 1/2 inch diameter, exactly what I wanted after a considerable wait considering they were 2 day delivery from Amaz... [worlds largest shipping retailer]

so without flyer stands to work on, I took my act on the road and was able to get some painting done this week during my down time at work, 12 Mordians and counting, they just need based, a project I was about to start tonight, but alas my bottle of PVA glue has turned as hard as ceramite, so the project will be pushed until stores open tomorrow.

gallery_209737_16260_114381.jpg

It was nice to switch back to my beloved infantry after a flyer and vehicle heavy summer, I really am looking forward to basing these guys and their demi-company of comrades. More updates to follow.

Quick and photo heavy update:

so Basing miniatures, I'm not ashamed to admit this is my first foray into basing at anything other than a basic (read: dip in flock or sand, wash, and paint) level. Using the basing kit I purchased, plus some stuff from the FUTURE PROJECTS boxes in the shame closet I was able to base about 30 new and old minatures while the kids watched movies over the last night or two. here are the results, I'm going for an urban rubble theme, am over all quite happy with the result, and future bases will include more right angles to be building and girder bits.

gallery_209737_16260_101462.jpg

the rough bases using several materials and grit

gallery_209737_16260_82993.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_267425.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_214038.jpg

And finally a closeup of two individual bases, please forgive the photo quality, Its very late, or quite early depending on perspective, and remember the minis are old and could use some TLC touchup care

gallery_209737_16260_184165.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_184097.jpg

More updates to follow, including how they look on the gaming mat with the rest of the army, but I anticipate delays.

Looks good

The GW astrogranite basing textures are really good too

Might make it easier / quicker to layer some of that down then add some of the larger rocks after? Would also help with keeping the size of your bases delineated

Thanks Duz, I will check it out. This was more a concept proof for me than anything. For the first few hours it felt like I was in remedial grade school art class (likely sitting at the back eating paste) the fact that the end result was aesthetically pleasing (to me at least) and something that I could do is enough to get me over my hang up of not putting any effort into bases.

Looking good! Seems like a good way to pass the time during some off hours away from home.

I like the grey bases with the blue of the uniforms. I think it looks really good together. That said, I will second Duz's comment on the astrogranite. Its saved me some time as i have a similar basing scheme with my scions. I think GW just released another type of astrogranite called astrogranite debris or something as well. It's a bit chunkier. I use a combination of both.

Anyway, keep it up. Looking forward to seeing some shots of everything on the table. Those are always my favorite.