Remobilization of the Mordian 19th

Updates! so as promised, I've completed basing about 50 or so Mordians representing about 10%-15% of my total collection, it has gone well, I'm happy with the results, and I have found it something I can complete during downtime at work. I'm also pleased to report that painting bases at work has helped with some of the mental health stresses associated with my job: have some really bad calls, paint some bases and collect your thoughts; stress level seems lower.

First good news is an answer to a burning question of mine regarding viability of vulture aircraft punisher cannons in imperial armour compendium. I asked in the news and rumour topic post, but didn’t get a complete answer. Randomly in my YouTube feed today I found what I had been searching for. It’s blurry, which is probably in keeping with forum rules anyway
gallery_209737_16260_2746.jpeg

as you can see the second line under weapons appears to detail punisher cannons. yea! no obsolescence!!!

And now for the basing photos, I wanted to do urban rubble, so I hit the vehicle bits box hard and added some scraps of metal sheeting and debris to bases, I like the ruslts and have interspersed them with the pure rocky debris bases. Also of note: I bought some of the astrogranite debris for a test run, I like it, but it doesn't quite fit with what I was already doing, but I believe it will work well with my Militarum Tempestus where I am contemplating volcanic bases or something else unique.

gallery_209737_16260_42042.jpg
overhead shot, not a lot of detail

gallery_209737_16260_55342.jpg
better close up on some squads

gallery_209737_16260_89699.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_72515.jpg

Progress continues, Hoping to do some aircraft bases in the coming week, but some unseasonably warm weather means I also have some work to do to get the house ready for winter snow while the temperature holds. More to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Short update today, the downed Tau tank basing of my thunderbolt is almost complete but I am waiting for 2 magnets which I am hoping will be delivered tomorrow. I'm happy with the results and looking forward to showing it off. in the interim I have been working on basing my finished Mordians, I've completed the second platoon of just infantry, officers, standard and special weapons. I plan on doing some work on heavy weapons teams shortly as a parallel project while basing continues but I'm limited by base supplies. Mordians didn't come with bases for their heavy weapons, just gun carriage, operator and loader/spotter on 25mm bases, so I will have to source 60mm round bases (or rob from either my urban or woodlands camo Cadian projects from the shame closet).

gallery_209737_16260_610255.jpg

11 completed squads, and two platoon command squads with their lieutenants.

gallery_209737_16260_470177.jpg

overhead view, in addition to lacking bases for the heavy weapons, Mordians had a limited variety of special weapons when the line was produced, for ease of display I've grouped them via platoon with first platoon carrying a grenade launcher with each squad, and second platoon carrying flamers. at sometime in the shadowed veils of the future, I'm going to have to enter into metal miniature conversions again to create some plasma rifle Mordians to bolster the lines since they don't exist currently. I will like schedule it ahead of my Mordian roughriders project since they are currently relegated to legends (please give us cavalry back GW... I STILL BELIEVE)

The Work continues, RL work is getting pretty crazy with 2nd wave, but I am still finding time to hobby. With the potential of a second lockdown looming as we roll towards the holidays, I have restocked all my hobby supplies from FLGS, especially brushes. Basing Mordians is destroying 3-4 discount quality paintbrushes a week.

Edited by MedicMike0708

• 2 months later...

So, where were we? It's been a while, but I've not been idle. First, I have been authorized by the Officio Medicae and Ordos Hospitaller to say I've been twice vaccinated against the current crisis, so that is well. Tonight's post will be lengthy and pic heavy for a new phase of the Mordian 19th remobilization.

gallery_209737_16260_66749.jpg

Third platoon of pure infantry is based and ready, making fully half of my full infantry company project complete. Most of my remaining Mordians will need to be fully painted and based rather than just painting special weapons, the odd troopers and updating a few minis with touchups. That means a lot more work and time investment from me, which is why I am alternating projects to keep things fresh.

Like most of the old metal guard minis, Mordian HWT didn't come with bases. Since then GW has ruled that models should be based on their supplied bases. The rules have also evolved to make the HWT a single 2 wound model, which makes a couple of issues for classic guard commanders, how to base within the rules, best using existing minis to full effect, and how to make it cool.

Current plastic guard use the unfortunately named 60mm base (which is actually 64.25mm or something equally ridiculous) for me to base all my Mordian HWTs, ordering the bases from GW would be substantially cost prohibitive. On boxing day I ordered a bulk shipment of 60 x 60mm (true measurement) bases from AE for very reasonable price with shipping. They arrived, and I find them similar enough to the authentic ones that I will be using them all for my Mordians.

gallery_209737_16260_158581.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_38271.jpg
Best lighting I could manage the colours are the same as the standard infantry bases, just over larger area

The next decision was how to represent a 2 wound model with a gunner, a loader and a man portable artillery piece. I opted to leave both loader and gunner on 25mm bases and putting them on the larger 60mm base with the weapon and gunner fixed in place, and the loader removable for a wound counter. I've read the arguments, removable loader might be considered modeling for advantage (mainly by :cuss types) to which I've decided I am now mounting my troops on a base that they didn't come with, leaving the loader and gunners on 25 mm bases, and making it look cool, so I don't think too many will gripe about the finished product.
gallery_209737_16260_347239.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_221680.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_193745.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_237722.jpg

The next obstacle is how to make the loader "removable" drilling holes doesn't work well with beveled base edges, magnets would be expensive but workable, ultimately I opted to use mounting putty (think the upgraded version of blue-tack for posters)

gallery_209737_16260_295343.jpg

It's reusable, works in all Canadian temperatures without losing adhesion, and is cheap.

gallery_209737_16260_210196.jpg

Its also surprisingly strong, lifting by the removable loader.

More posts in the coming days, materials, hobbying and likely a new purchase. The remobilization efforts continue in the Emperor's glorious name

quick painting update and a new case

gallery_209737_16260_180754.jpg

10 more HWT based and completed starting another group in the morning, autocannons this time

So as mentioned in previous posts, I paint at work, as well as at home, but my miniature mancave is on a separate floor to the main house, and usually I have my current projects on the main floor so I can interact with the family and pets. Over the years, I have had a lot of cases, totes and boxes for storing, transporting and separating projects. This is often impractical, I've spilled paints, dried them out, had projects chip, break some pieces, suffered predation by pets (RIP random plastic cadian who tumbled from my desk and was munched by a deathworld golden retriever) All this to say I have tried a lot of options for storing and moving minis. I find that preparations and cleanup are a big barrier to hobby time, if I don't have an hour for setup and tear down, I'm much more likely not to do any work at all and just play on my phone instead, which is where I got an idea:

gallery_209737_16260_233196.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_128051.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_39250.jpg

Above is pictured a makeup case, designed to hold and store a variety of makeup products and with adjustable dividers. the trays are hinged to fold out, things don't slide around and can be carried upright by the handle, and there is room underneath for a partially painted fully assembled leman russ with sponsons. I've used a tool box and a craft box before, and I find both to be not as practical as the makeup case. This was cheap as I picked it up second hand and I find it surprisingly practical. It works for me and cost less than a plastic commissar, even if its not the most stereotypically masculine looking item (maybe I should go the GW route and add more Skulls to it?)

future projects update, I'd like to take a few minutes to post some medium-term projects, at least partially for my own motivation during hobbying lulls.

gallery_209737_16260_192548.jpg

First, I got this little beauty for Christmas as a gift, I've had my eye on it for almost a year, I have a secret weakness for giant gorgeous terrain pieces, although my completion record is a bit spotty (looks side-eye at macrocannon strong point and plasma obliterator in varying stages of completion) still I have a diorama style battlefield centerpiece in mind

gallery_209737_16260_129479.jpg

I am honestly not a fan of bullgryns, but realistically most viable army lists include them, so I picked up a box, and to the left a fancy plinth that i added to get free shipping threshold, which i will be putting a bronzed celestine on for a fancy objective marker.

gallery_209737_16260_164743.jpg

I have a couple of separate cadian armies in varying stages of completion (urban and forest camo) which I work on with my son when he occasionally shows interest however all my tanks are being converted to my clean and polished Mordian tank colours. When the opportunity presented itself to pick up these 9 tanks for about 200$, I drove out in a blizzard to pick them up.

gallery_209737_16260_140016.jpg

overall they are in good condition, ready for forest camo, however the leman russ needs some sanding and filing down. (four-armed emperor indeed, Heresy!)

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another update!

work has been busy with actual work, so I've been squeezing hobby time in at home, and digging around for more Mordians in various storage compartments of the shame closet and cupboard.

I've managed to touch up and base another 40 infantry, mostly special weapons, command and some sergeants, which means I will be batch painting a lot of standard troopers with lasguns soon, and probably taking a weekend to craft the most elusive special weapons in the entire hive city of Mordian, Plasma Guns!! I've already got some ideas in mind, probably a sniper rifle too because: rule-of-cool. I anticipate starting them in late March.

gallery_209737_16260_236020.jpg

40 more Mordians for the regiment.

gallery_209737_16260_193735.jpg

An overhead view since you can better see the bases and the hive debris with gubbins.

I also started another twenty HWTs toward basing and completion. I've had real difficulty finding autocannons, all the other flavours of HWT I have at least 2-3 full squads but alas only 5 autocannons. Currently going for 25$ + ludicrous shipping on the eBay for ONE, I will have to be patient.

gallery_209737_16260_89686.jpg

This will bring the completed force to 40 HWTs currently in their own artillery formation and unattached to squads.

I'm going to try and finish these guys by Friday as I have a weeks vacation coming up and only some minor plans associated with those days, I would like to start (and hopefully finish) a large single model project for that week. If it's feasible I'll post it here. Remobilization efforts continue in the Emperor's glorious name.

• 2 weeks later...

mini-project complete! So sometimes (often) my ambition outstrips my ability. My goal was to complete my 20 HWT last week and start my NEW, REALLY-BIG project, but alas, my brief vacation is ended and I managed only to finish the HWTs but not start anything new. The temptation to do a rush job on the heavy weapons teams was palpable, I'm certain that an angel sat on one shoulder and told me to complete the HWTs to the best of my ability matching my other troops, and on the other shoulder a devil (Tzeentch demon I'm almost certain) telling me to rush through with just basic paint and base and minimal effort to start something new. Common sense and the better nature won the day

gallery_209737_16260_6541.jpg

gallery_209737_16260_103148.jpg

I'm pleased with the results, they match their comrades exactingly and look great all arrayed together. I have a few more HWT scattered around but they will need to be stripped and painted up from scratch, I am satisfied that I will come back to them at a later date.

gallery_209737_16260_71747.jpg

This is all 40 heavy weapons teams completed and arrayed for parade. They took longer than I had anticipated, but I believe they are worth the effort and time

And now for the new/next/big project:

gallery_209737_16260_157865.jpg

Behold the Shameblade!

I picked this up from Ebay for about half the price of a NIB Baneblade. I don't know what the original builder intended; a failed octobaneblade? A conversion gone wrong? Regardless this is a mess of glue, it has the open deck like a Stormlord, the stubbers are snapped off, but the turret mounted to the chassis is meant to accommodate one of several turret barrels. There can be only one solution: It must be repaired and remade conforming to STC designs approved on ancient Mars. So I bought a new Baneblade kit, I will make the Shameblade into a proper Stormlord using the surplus pieces and use the kit to make my coveted dream tank: a Shadowsword! I have wanted one since the armourcast days, I love the iconic nature, singleminded purpose and the pure awesomeness of the Shadowsword. I anticipate it will take me significant time, but I have undercoated the sprues already. Progress will be reported here, work continues in the Emperors holy name.

Edited by MedicMike0708

• 9 months later...

Well I'm Back!
I wasn't ever really gone, but summer is a busy time and work for myself (and most other healthcare workers around the world) took a turn to the unprecedented and weird. Please forgive my long absence, I've still followed the forums and watched for developments for my beloved Guard (or Astra Militarum). I watched as we said goodbye to steel legion (glad I have 30 or so in the Shame Closet) and was at least mildly hopeful that DKoK might become a standardized line. I still feel trepidation about aircraft limitations as I have over a dozen, not to be spammy but because they are just a cool way to deliver dudes or patrol about in overcosted occasionally effectual glass cannons mounted on flying stands. I didn't finish the Shameblade pictured in my above post, the ebb of my hobby passion was at its lowest, but now with winter coming on, and the holidays over, my free time and whatever winter mood changes have start to build again for hobbying. First I thought I would post my Christmas gift, given by my thoughtful family who knows my hobby cycles, probably better than I do.

gallery_209737_16260_173455.jpg

I've never used an airbrush before, and have always been in awe of those who do, so I plan to give it a go once I gather all the necessary supplies and tools to maintain and clean it. probably be another couple weeks, and after some practice I will try it on some tanks or chunky terrain pieces. Looks Like I have a challenge to pledge for as well, as it seems my time has become a lot more free in the short term (MODS can delete this if it broaches a RL line or rule) Got a positive Covid test with symptoms 2 days ago, was very sick, but thanks to science my recovery has been noticeable by the hour. Off work for over a week, and through an happy accident involving opposite schedules and a blizzard, I am living in the basement with access to my hobby room while the rest of the family continues to be healthy and negative.