Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Kromlech/Tabletop Scenics] Astartes Movie Cooperation

Third party miniatures Kromlech Tabletop Scenics

• Please log in to reply
1520 replies to this topic

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,633 posts

In other news: Orktober is Coming.

And it's a right and proppa one too!

• Quixus likes this

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,244 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

ONE'Z DOIN' ORKTOBER AT LEAST; WAAAGH!

gallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

betrayer41

betrayer41

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,066 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
https://youtu.be/k6pH_eupx7U

Not loving the helmets but man are these going to have some fun bits

Edited by betrayer41, 08 February 2020 - 02:56 AM.

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 609 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Huh. Didn't expect that. I like some of those axes though.

J25oay8.jpg

Mendi Warrior

Mendi Warrior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,707 posts

Some sweet things there!

Jings

Jings

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
God I love Kromlech stuff. Any idea of the scale? Their Legionary stuff is (to my eye) a bit longer in the leg than standard Marines so they'll go good with the new range, but they've been playing with Primaris scale too recently which is always nice. Wonder what these will be.

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,317 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Warhawks
Good video.
Hope is a moment now long past, the Shadow of Death is the one I cast

sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.pnggallery_48988_10069_135.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_87434_12256_5320.png sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg

9eRaven Guard : 9 - 1
Imperial Knights : 3 - 2

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,520 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Threads merged

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_48988_15094_4929.pnggallery_62972_14467_2702.jpggallery_48988_15094_2403.pnggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:0
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:2 Dreadnought List W:2 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:0 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:1 Two Towers List W:0 D:0 L:0
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:2 D:1 L:0

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,595 posts

I might finally be able to add some berzerkers to my warband...

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,924 posts

We had an opportunity to work with one of community's beloved artists. Join the ranks of the Chapter shown in the Astartes movie with this Friday's release!
If you want to revisit the story told by Syama, it's here: https://bit.ly/2V4SJS6

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Risky territory.

• N1SB, Son of Carnelian, Volt and 3 others like this

mkbKIlr.png

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 844 posts

Chapter badge usually goes on the left pauldron, but this is a fantastic release despite the marketing faux-pas ;)

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,989 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Also, not sure why it says "for Primaris" since shoulder pads are interchangeable between Primaris and Firstborn.

=][= Reference to real-world politics removed =][=

Edited by Dam13n, 07 April 2020 - 08:55 PM.

Borbarad

Borbarad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 247 posts

Now that's a clever co-op; fan-movie merchandise. Good luck

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 328 posts
  • Faction: Evil Suns, Imp. Fists, T'au

A fan-made media project that clearly uses GW's IP allies with a GW competitor? This will end badly.

• Triszin, Larkyn, Kierdale and 4 others like this

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,963 posts

A fan-made media project that clearly uses GW's IP allies with a GW competitor? This will end badly.

yup.

• Larkyn, Llagos_Tyrant and grailkeeper like this
banana

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,798 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

So they make not primaris marines that dont even look like the mk7 in the film... Seems a bit backwards. Im all for the Astartes stuff, love it, but cant see GW being too happy about this, I can see a lawsuit coming on especially as GW is in lockdown and no moneys coming in at the moment. 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

twopounder

twopounder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,478 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

So they make not primaris marines that dont even look like the mk7 in the film... Seems a bit backwards. Im all for the Astartes stuff, love it, but cant see GW being too happy about this, I can see a lawsuit coming on especially as GW is in lockdown and no moneys coming in at the moment. 

Which would make it the worst time for a lawsuit. The CHS suit cost them millions and they got a Pyrrhic victory of a few items being renamed. There is no way they would ever make back the money they spend on litigation for a lawsuit over some shoulder pads. It would be a C&D and possible injunction or some such, long before a full legal suit. Its unlikely that anyone involved would want it to progress to a lawsuit. 

Also, pot calling kettle black - aren't there B&C items with GW asthetics that have been sold over the years? At one point, there were DA dice, with registered DA iconography, being printed by chessex  (I believe it was chessex) for B&C members to purchase in a pool.

The point is, even this very forum draws money from the GW IP.

GW has to pick their battles.

• Brother_Bethor, Black Blow Fly and Aarik like this

4bVlhOy.jpg

Massive 3D Printing Project - Working on the Whirlwind Scorpius

Ravenwing WIP - (57 Bikes and counting)

Full Battle Company - Lion's Blade including 14 Razorbacks

Shapeways - Like the models I make? Now you can get them too!

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I don't see why this should be a problem for Kromlech at all. They have been selling not-Marines since forever and are definitely big enough for GW to know about them.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 844 posts

I doubt people above have been saying Kromlech might be stepping into troubled waters here... I'd need to look again, but as far as I recall, Astartes clearly mentions it's a Warhammer 40,000 fan-movie, and as such borrows from the 40,000 IP. He's the one who could be targetted by a C&D, not Kromlech

• andes likes this

calgar101

calgar101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,350 posts
I'm not an expert on IP law but I'd say GW might issue a C&D order at most. Kromlech and others "sail close to the wind" with a lot of their (great) conversion bits. If anything this deal might make GW kick themselves for not securing Astartes employ and hopefully will make GW spend more effort on their own animation movie efforts.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I doubt people above have been saying Kromlech might be stepping into troubled waters here... I'd need to look again, but as far as I recall, Astartes clearly mentions it's a Warhammer 40,000 fan-movie, and as such borrows from the 40,000 IP. He's the one who could be targetted by a C&D, not Kromlech

And why should that be a problem? As far as we know it could be just a "hey dude, can we use your custom chapters symbol for our upgrade bitz? Cool!"

Edited by Panzer, 07 April 2020 - 10:11 PM.

• Aarik likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,798 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Which would make it the worst time for a lawsuit. The CHS suit cost them millions and they got a Pyrrhic victory of a few items being renamed. There is no way they would ever make back the money they spend on litigation for a lawsuit over some shoulder pads. It would be a C&D and possible injunction or some such, long before a full legal suit. Its unlikely that anyone involved would want it to progress to a lawsuit. 

Also, pot calling kettle black - aren't there B&C items with GW asthetics that have been sold over the years? At one point, there were DA dice, with registered DA iconography, being printed by chessex  (I believe it was chessex) for B&C members to purchase in a pool.

The point is, even this very forum draws money from the GW IP.

GW has to pick their battles.

Oh yea I agree, I couldnt care less if GW gets ripped off, they have done it themselves in the past, hell they even admitted it once in print. 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
I'm not sure what folks are seeing as a IP violation - GW was told they weren't able to use the shape of pauldrons as an IP covered item, nor the concept of power(ed) armor, etc. Even some of their Chapter logos weren't able to be protected/claimed as they weren't unique enough or were historically used emblems.

And as much as they produce miniatures in resin, at best you could say Kromlech is a "competitor" to Forge World - they don't operate anywhere near the level they'd need to for them to be a direct competitor to Games Workshop. That's like saying that one of the big aftermarket parts producers for automobiles is a direct competitor to Fored, Chevy, Jaguar, BMW, or Audi. They aren't in the same league or market.

Why don't we worry less about what legal action GW might take on this situation and leave that up to GW's attorneys to figure out - I'm sure there are more interesting things we could discuss about these items being available through Kromlech. Chances are if GW takes action, we'll hear about it swiftly.
  • Felix Antipodes, Black Blow Fly, Aarik and 4 others like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,963 posts

I think the issue might be not from kromlech making these. nor from the  cgi videos, but the combos of both.

banana

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,913 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

I think the issue might be not from kromlech making these. nor from the  cgi videos, but the combos of both.

Based on?
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Third party miniatures, Kromlech, Tabletop Scenics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users