Rank the units!

emperorpants

I’ll do five at a time:

Calgar - he comes as a Chapter Master granting 2 CP, is quite resilient and is a true beat stick in melee plus decent shooting. Pair him up with Victrix Honof Guard and he’s very hard for opponents to shift. While he has to plod across the battlefield it’s okay for me as he anchors my gun line.

Tiggy - possibly the best psyker in the game now and coupled with another Librarian using our lore he becomes a vicious smitebomb and can very reliably cast Null Zone.

DevCents - these fellows can lay down withering firepower armed with Hurricane Bolters and Grav Cannons. They are also hard to kill with Tiggy making them -1 to hit and an apothecary to restore them. They are a top unit to use Auspex Scan and can wipe an enemy squad on the drop.

Intercessors - Quite robust and takes some effort to shift plus decent enough firepower. I arm my sergeants with thunderhammers which make them quite deadly in melee as well.

Infiltrators - I rank them over Incursors for our Chapter. Wounding 6s to hit with rerolls in the tactical doctrine can chip Knights. Their main ability is to hold back enemy reinforcements when you really need it.

• 1 month later...

Redemptor Dreadnoughts are really awesome, and are hilariously underrated by many people.  Their ability to chew through hordes, and smash vehicles in melee is tough to beat for their cost.  Currently Invictors outshine them (cheaper and more dangerous to mid tier units), but when the meta swings back towards hordes I plan to bring my Redemptors out of retirement.

Assault Centurions are very good for Ultramarines.  They're tough enough to take some fire, dangerous enough in melee to scare people, and comparable to Aggressors in terms of ranged damage output VS hordes.  Their Excellent melee weapons and lack of heavy weapons makes them fairly invulnerable to issues with doctrine shifts, but happy enough to sit in tactical doctrine as long as possible.

Bikes are not super meta friendly right now, but they do a lot of work and have a lot of wounds and mobility for a decently low cost.  They can also pack in 3 special weapons and get them where they need to go.  I wouldn't take them to a GT, but I would count on them for a solid casual game or decent all rounder in an RTT.

Incursors beat the pants off Intercessors these days.  Advanced deploy, and Ignoring cover/hit modifiers is really awesome.  Their combat blades are also a nice little boost on occasion.

Chronus in a Stalker is one of the cheapest and most dangerous ways to fill out a spearhead we have (HQ + Heavy).  'Skyfire' and his improved BS can generate hilarious damage output against FLY units.  I got 12 damage from a Hunter Killer twice in a GT once using that!

Chronus in a Stalker might be a really good idea for me actually...

Not sold on Incursors really. Their firepower is weaker than Intercessors unless firing at units in cover. Up close their not bad in close combat though.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Chronus in a Stalker might be a really good idea for me actually...

Not sold on Incursors really. Their firepower is weaker than Intercessors unless firing at units in cover. Up close their not bad in close combat though.

You would be surprised at how often units are going to get cover bonuses these days.  It's pretty rare for infantry to not hide out in cover at GTs.  Plus the ignoring penalties to hit often works to clear out annoying OBJ holders.

I’ll chime in on aggressors.

I agree they are over rated. But as an offensive unit.

I see aggressors play well as a defensive unit, acting in an area denial role.

Keep them out of sight. Intercept anything that approaches your defensive cordon. Normally on turn 2 or 3.

The key is knowing your threat range and keeping to that.