30k Hobby Chat

Just got finished magnetizing not just Lion El'Jonson's weapons, but ALSO the scabbards for said weapons, because if you're going to magnetize a 130-dollar model's weapons and it comes with distinct scabbards for each weapon, why not go full on?

Lion Sword:

Sj2QlpD.jpg

cF7qjLB.jpg

PVE339i.jpg

Wolf Blade:

fZILcIi.jpg

XKvwcLq.jpg

QxJpphr.jpg

Word from the (un)wise: Don't actually try and magnetize the scabbards on this model. It's way more difficult than necessary, and can easily go wrong. In fact, you can see where I almost drilled through the scabbards on both of them.

I did it because I've got more stupidity than sense. :lol:

You could have used a thin metal strip in place of magnets on the scabbard to save you some grief if you had access to some :tongue.:

..... I hate you so much right now, you know that Slips? :lol:

I could have done that. I had the ability to. I didn't think of it at all.

You could have used a thin metal strip in place of magnets on the scabbard to save you some grief if you had access to some :tongue.:

..... I hate you so much right now, you know that Slips? :laugh.:

Ouch, sorry dude :'(

At least now you know.... :whistling:

..... I hate you so much right now, you know that Slips? :laugh.:

Ouch, sorry dude :'(

At least now you know.... :whistling:

Eh, it's fine. I didn't think of it and gave myself some more crazy work to do. It is what it is :lol:

Though it'll certainly help if I ever have to magnetize scabbards like that again... :lol:

Just got finished magnetizing not just Lion El'Jonson's weapons, but ALSO the scabbards for said weapons, because if you're going to magnetize a 130-dollar model's weapons and it comes with distinct scabbards for each weapon, why not go full on?

<snip>

I did it because I've got more stupidity than sense. :lol:

Are you going to magnetise the head/helmet as well? Or does that way more madness lie?

<snip>

I did it because I've got more stupidity than sense. :laugh.:

Are you going to magnetise the head/helmet as well? Or does that way more madness lie?

I had originally planned that, but then I decided that he'll be rocking that sweet helmet for the gaming piece.

I like the lupercal chassis. I REALLY like the Omega(?) (the stug with plasma annihilator).

Didnt manage lots of hobby stuff this week sadly. Still chipping away at my 15 phalanx warders. Managed to almost be finished on the non metallic colours. Just some edges left to do and white to add. Then its chipping and decals and then metals.

I took a class last weekend and for the first time in ever managed to get some wetblending done. Tried it with mixed results again on my warders which made the process longer but hopefully better looking and should again hopefully teach me a bit more about the technique. Also I actually managed to get some passable tmm shading going on that mini, so I'll try to replicate that on my warders' axes.

Once they are done I'll complete my workshop mini and its display base. Oh its the ogroid myrmidon. So nothing that I play, but who cares its for my (non existant) display cabinet anyways ;)

And then there is some heavy metal thunder rolling in for my fists.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

More work on the BA Contemptor-Incaendius, I'm onto the Claws of Perdition now.

I tired a very blue glowing effects initially for the claws which I usually love, but some reason it didn't fit well for this project, so I switched them out to a pure steel look.

gallery_86352_12089_47481.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

just finished my latest update for my sons of horus. 3 rhinos, 3 attack bikes, more terminators and some characters. Thinking of putting them on hold as i've filled 4 shelves of my display cabinet with them just this year. Dunno who il work on next, i have another unit of termies for my fists so il do those but i think i want to do something different. Maybe 1ksons or Blood Angels dunno.

just finished my latest update for my sons of horus. 3 rhinos, 3 attack bikes, more terminators and some characters. Thinking of putting them on hold as i've filled 4 shelves of my display cabinet with them just this year. Dunno who il work on next, i have another unit of termies for my fists so il do those but i think i want to do something different. Maybe 1ksons or Blood Angels dunno.

Can we see some pictures?

I've enjoyed following your work so far!

Can we see some pictures?

I've enjoyed following your work so far!

Sure, pics are in my thread here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361606-228th-strike-force-sons-of-horus-the-daumutef-retrievers/page-2#entry5606961

Just ordered the Praetor Tribune for a decent price. Been meaning to pick one up as my Praetor for a while and am going to swap his weapon for a spear instead because spears are cool.

As I'm down at my mother's I'm going to visit the FLGS tomorrow and hopefully come away with either a Mars pattern Predator (or two), a Mars pattern Land Raider (representing hastily produced "In theatre" armour replacements) or some SW/standard Indomitus Terminators (I know ruleswise they're not as good but I do like the models and that's more important to me) as well as a spray stick (seen positive reviews and apparently the rubber bands don't hinder priming too much) as well as some new drill bits.

I'm not planning on working on an armoured list for a while as focusing on OA but I got a fair bonus and want to support a FLGS that I always visit when down here.

Picked a good time to start HH and the VIII.

Wasn't a fan of the Night Raptors models so I've used the 40k Raptors with overt chaos stuff getting removed - just wanted to check I'm not committing a cardinal sin.

Got a few more bits on the way and finish off, but do these look ok to your eyes so far?

9PlXLp4h.jpg

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at them, as long as they look cool and fit the time frame thats all that really matters. And with the amount of work you've put in getting rid of the over-the-top trim on the packs (which is something I am thinking of doing, thank you for showing that it looks good) it would be a shame not to use them.

@Gore Crow, echoing what others have said, Rule of Cool, if there a clear attempt to at least somewhat fit into the timeframe of the HH*, and if it’s clear your sweat and tears into them, that’s all that matters. And most importantly that YOU are happy with them.

*I’m not as much of a stickler for armor marks and such as others, so YMMV

Proud of how fast I cranked through building and priming my Incaendius Dread. Was a guilty pleasure purchase and I was overthinking how to make it look cool. I just forced myself to sit down and get it done. I wanted to magnetize the in-hand (claw?) shooty options but the way the bits assemble that wasn’t possible. Twin AC’s it is...can never have enough dakka.

Also please with how i managed to magnetize the booster (jump) pack on it. My idea is to remove it once it’s used it’s Once-Per-Game ability. My hope is to make it easier for all players to know when it’s been used.