30k Hobby Chat

IMG-20201012-195227.jpg

This pic-capture shows the personal heraldry of Knight-Commander Raphael El'Gareth. Of particular interest is the symbol on his left vambrace, denoting him as a member of the Order of Shattered Crowns.

It is also my first ever freehand! :D

:cuss yea that looks good

It's been far to long since I've posted anything Heresy related on the B&C, So here's some wips of both the Emperors Children contemptors I've been working on, I just spent this evening sponging them and highlighting the purple and white.

9FNWlu3.jpg

EF3DDRK.jpg
a5aKRhz.jpg

Edited by Eternal Despair

Need to still fill in the broken sword from the 40k deathwing bits, but got the pose down for a Deathwing Companion Oathbearer/Sergeant in Tartaros armor.

Needs a cloak too I think, will need to pick up another 40k Deathwing kit for that and for some more bits when they're back in stock. Combi bolter is a bit askew, but I fixed that after taking the photograph.

wuIgusn.jpg

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I was finally able to finish the white scars praetor/khan. I've been in a bit of a hobby slump but getting some new types of paint to try out really helped both with the motivation and my satisfaction with the model. Doing some oil weathering helped boost the contrast and better define the details, some areas I wasn't wholly pleased with before. Any future takes on white scars will probably just have a brighter armour with the blue greys mainly reserved for shadows. 

1081740_mb-.jpg

1081739_mb-.jpg

1081738_mb-.jpg

1081741_mb-.jpg

I was finally able to finish the white scars praetor/khan. I've been in a bit of a hobby slump but getting some new types of paint to try out really helped both with the motivation and my satisfaction with the model. Doing some oil weathering helped boost the contrast and better define the details, some areas I wasn't wholly pleased with before. Any future takes on white scars will probably just have a brighter armour with the blue greys mainly reserved for shadows. 

1081740_mb-.jpg

1081739_mb-.jpg

1081738_mb-.jpg

1081741_mb-.jpg

Looks great, I’ve found white to be a real challenge, you almost have to go full tilt with the white top coat on infantry models. I’ve found trying to build contrast with the AB makes the white look too grey. Vehicles seem a little more forgiving, probably due to the larger surface area you have to build the white transition.

Regardless, nice work!

Cadmus

Finished five tactical marines for the 1st, although I'll need more if I want to try out stormwing later.

I did finish painting the Deathwing Companion in Tartaros armour, I think as a test model it turned out well. Managed to get one converted and painted before FW released theirs :teehee:

CPt7gL7.jpgvB1ndXY.jpgZ3fBfob.jpg

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

1081740_mb-.jpg

1081739_mb-.jpg

1081738_mb-.jpg

1081741_mb-.jpg

Looks great, I’ve found white to be a real challenge, you almost have to go full tilt with the white top coat on infantry models. I’ve found trying to build contrast with the AB makes the white look too grey. Vehicles seem a little more forgiving, probably due to the larger surface area you have to build the white transition.

Regardless, nice work!

Cadmus

Personly i think now the best way to Paint White is, that you dont use pure white.

Look at the works of Mike Blank. He dies some great whites.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8056/8128591476_9d016e2e7d_b.jpg

Or you could look at Lil Legnds Studios.

Myles does some great Scars.

The white here is started with tourquise

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoaR39kW0AI4He0.jpg:large

White like black needs some other colors added to be interesting.

You guys are basically agreeing. Pure white shouldn't be the main colour used, but you also need the colour to read as white instead of grey. On infantry the smaller size means you need to skew towards more white than with vehicles.

That being said, that sicaran venator is basically pure white. He's gotten around not being able to highlight it by chipping almost all the edges so the red comes through, but it's still mostly pure white.

That's the best Terminator Companion I've seen so far! Simple, but on point. Great job

Thanks! There's a lot of good pieces in the 40k Deathwing Terminator kit, going to have to pick up more of those. Need to model the rest of the squad later, but I think I have the overall design I want for the unit.

Been wanting to make one since I first saw the datasheet with option for terminator armour. I'm hoping if I procrastinate enough, FW will make a terranic greatsword/calibanite warblade upgrade kit, but that probably won't happen, so will probably need to get some bits off shapeways.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

With regard to white, I was attempting to express that the level of white top coat, needed to be much more intense that I expected it to be. The main issue is adding in washes and other details. Even sealing the model in gloss prior to the oil wash stage, the white still picks up subtle hues of the oil. If you start with an off white canvas, you end up with something darker.

Here’s an early pic (Pre oil wash) of the macharius I’ve been working on, vs the finished product. The lighting is a little different, but you can see how adding washes, chipping and powders seems to mute and tone down the white.

gallery_87021_11487_118634.jpeg

I’ve even had to change my application method for powders, as even a subtle change in the hue of the powder has a dramatic impact on the colour. White is a great canvas for weathering, but it’s tricky to strike the correct balance.

Cadmus

You guys are basically agreeing. Pure white shouldn't be the main colour used, but you also need the colour to read as white instead of grey. On infantry the smaller size means you need to skew towards more white than with vehicles.

That being said, that sicaran venator is basically pure white. He's gotten around not being able to highlight it by chipping almost all the edges so the red comes through, but it's still mostly pure white.

You can change how a a color reads through the other colors used.

If you look up the Zorn palette which only uses 4 colors you will see what i try to say.

Then you can change the tone of your white with applying filters all over the miniature.

For the highlights of the Sicaran not everyone does edge highlights. I activly try to avoid them while painting tanks.

I think its a more realistic way of painting miniatures.

Maybe look up the the videos from Race of Terra about the studio painting style for the Heresy.

@cadmus I noticed my normal method for enamel weathering filtered a test scar a ton. While I liked the end result after playing around a lot, it didn't quite hit the mark, which is why I switched to oil (and because I was curious lol).

@bung I'm kind of lost at the point you're trying to make at this point. You said not to use pure white initially, which makes sense; you can't go brighter than pure white so it's usually reserved as the final, extreme highlight to white paintschemes.

I understand that filters and colour choice changes the colour, but I'd also say that the aristocrat's only clothing that's white is his ankle...things. It's a great example of many painting techniques, but not of painting a surface that's supposed to be "pure" white.

The sicaran is pretty much the opposite. It has some small amounts of shading but is literally pure white, which is the opposite of what you were talking about with "don't use pure white when painting white". What I'm saying about the chipping is that he needs to use it to create depth in place of both highlights and shading because the white is almost the only colour used. It's not good or bad, it's just necessary for that style.

With regard to white, I was attempting to express that the level of white top coat, needed to be much more intense that I expected it to be. The main issue is adding in washes and other details. Even sealing the model in gloss prior to the oil wash stage, the white still picks up subtle hues of the oil. If you start with an off white canvas, you end up with something darker.

I’ve even had to change my application method for powders, as even a subtle change in the hue of the powder has a dramatic impact on the colour. White is a great canvas for weathering, but it’s tricky to strike the correct balance.

Cadmus

But thats a problem for anything you weather. 

Thats why most scale modelers paint their tanks brighter than they usually are. 

I meant if you had gone with an off-white for the main color of your World Eaters you could have gone with the white and the weathering had it go darker to match the rest of the army.

Thats why i dont like to work with pure white i prefer an off-white white like Scale Color White Sands or Vallejo Ivory / Pale Grey Blue depending on color temperature.

@bung I'm kind of lost at the point you're trying to make at this point. You said not to use pure white initially, which makes sense; you can't go brighter than pure white so it's usually reserved as the final, extreme highlight to white paintschemes.

I understand that filters and colour choice changes the colour, but I'd also say that the aristocrat's only clothing that's white is his ankle...things. It's a great example of many painting techniques, but not of painting a surface that's supposed to be "pure" white.

The sicaran is pretty much the opposite. It has some small amounts of shading but is literally pure white, which is the opposite of what you were talking about with "don't use pure white when painting white". What I'm saying about the chipping is that he needs to use it to create depth in place of both highlights and shading because the white is almost the only colour used. It's not good or bad, it's just necessary for that style.

Sorry, i have been a bit fast and short  on the phone.

I dont even use white as an extreme highlight for white paint shemes, my only use for pure white is only for light reflections on metal (true or non metalic style).

Then i was on a more artistic level as intended, so i explain.

White tends to change alot with its surrounding colors and the light hitting it and if you look around pure white is extremly rare.

Either you have a polished car / Stormtrooper plastic armour which is shiny and reflects light and the surroundings or its dirty and you see every speck of dirt.

The other point is natural you wont find a pure white and black even in hobby colors they tend to have a hue of other colors due to pigments.

Third an LCD display changes colors. Thats why miniatures are different when you see them in real life.

I tried the painting method for the Sicaran, the blue is seen through the white, rahter subtle and gives it a cold look same with the weapon. Combined with the red of the rest you have a nice cold warm contrast in colors, that makes the Sicaran interesting to look at.

With the aristocrat its a good study in realistic hues of white for clothes for different materials.

The White Scars preator you posted above, technically its good, you have a nice contrast with the blue eyes and the red armour trim and its clean painted but your white armour is a bit of a bland background for it the red and the blue.

At the pictures the white doesnt give much contrast to the rest of the armour in my eyes.

Its some sort of color theory i learned from well known painters like banshee or Roman Lappat and some books.

Cadmus

But thats a problem for anything you weather. 

Thats why most scale modelers paint their tanks brighter than they usually are. 

I meant if you had gone with an off-white for the main color of your World Eaters you could have gone with the white and the weathering had it go darker to match the rest of the army.

Thats why i dont like to work with pure white i prefer an off-white white like Scale Color White Sands or Vallejo Ivory / Pale Grey Blue depending on color temperature.

Sorry, i have been a bit fast and short  on the phone.

I dont even use white as an extreme highlight for white paint shemes, my only use for pure white is only for light reflections on metal (true or non metalic style).

Then i was on a more artistic level as intended, so i explain.

White tends to change alot with its surrounding colors and the light hitting it and if you look around pure white is extremly rare.

Either you have a polished car / Stormtrooper plastic armour which is shiny and reflects light and the surroundings or its dirty and you see every speck of dirt.

The other point is natural you wont find a pure white and black even in hobby colors they tend to have a hue of other colors due to pigments.

Third an LCD display changes colors. Thats why miniatures are different when you see them in real life.

I tried the painting method for the Sicaran, the blue is seen through the white, rahter subtle and gives it a cold look same with the weapon. Combined with the red of the rest you have a nice cold warm contrast in colors, that makes the Sicaran interesting to look at.

With the aristocrat its a good study in realistic hues of white for clothes for different materials.

The White Scars preator you posted above, technically its good, you have a nice contrast with the blue eyes and the red armour trim and its clean painted but your white armour is a bit of a bland background for it the red and the blue.

At the pictures the white doesnt give much contrast to the rest of the armour in my eyes.

Its some sort of color theory i learned from well known painters like banshee or Roman Lappat and some books.

I think you’re missing the point slightly, weathering pure white, produces an off white colour.

Weathering off white, produces a darker version, which to my eye and preference is no longer white. I personally don’t like Lil’legends style. The other link you posted, I think the only actual piece of white clothing on the amazing miniature was his sock. The rest was off white/cream. Painting white fabric is very different to painting plate armour.

Each to his own, and I’m still learning my technique.

Do you have any examples you care to share with us?

Cadmus

@bung I think the comments on the praetor is pretty fair. I'm not the most satisfied with the white armour and my enjoyment of the model is carried by how the rest adds up.

But also agree with cadmus that white is white, not creams or greys. When I paint white armour with hard edges, I want the light to reflect off the hard edges with a pure white.

These look very cool - is the modelling to represent recon armour?

How do you find recon marines play? I think maybe they suffer like other infantry - veterans are generally better. But I think scout/outflank/acute senses could be powerful in zone mortalis, and it’s a troops slot, so I’m thinking of building a squad keeping the power armour.

Edited by LameBeard