30k Hobby Chat

How would people feel if FW put things like the limited edition minis like the anniversary and WHW minis etc on their store for regular purchase?

Other companies do that already when there are conventions and its liked.

Like you could order the Adepticon limited miniature for a week when Adepticon took place.

So probably would never be accepted by GW management.

o4wkNgt.jpg?1

Had these new 40k terminators sitting for ages. Don't play 40k, so I decided i'd use indomitus armor as  the experimental terminator armor pattern it was, and make Heavy Destroyers, from the Mournival rule set. Going to 'heresify' the one whose arms are already attached a bit, probably shave the leg trim a bit and add bonding studs. 

Man, missed a lot goin' on round here and only just getting back into the swing of things now but still good to see more 30K loveliness all around*. Well, at least I got my battalion's centrepiece element done up and finished today, and got my catrassassin that I needed for some campaign stuff. So there's a bit of this and a bit of that, hopefully I'll get all my files and stuff transferred over and do a proper update soon enough. Now I'm working up 5 landspeeders and some more breachers along with an epic 30K force to match my 28mm army 1:1... turns out I've been inadvertently organizing a lot of my army according to the 'epic' formations.

gallery_107230_14721_153345.jpg

gallery_107230_14721_5890.jpg

gallery_107230_14721_82163.jpg

gallery_107230_14721_28619.jpg

(Figured a proto-Eversor banshee would be neat, and it's related to something else rotting in my brain these days)

*Blew the video card of my computer and had to get it replaced. Given I haven't been shopping for a video card specifically since Dawn of War 1 was first released, I was more than a little perturbed by how much they were and how hard they were to get.... so I just kinda... bought a new computer instead.

So your centerpiece is two fellblades? Alright. Looking fantastic as always mate! And welcome back. I feel like forum participation is a cyclical thing that waxes and wanes from time to time ;)

I like the converted indomitus TDA. In general I think the new CM kits can serve as good sources for bits to spice up late heresy NL and SoH.

P.s. computer parts got mad expansive. I'm supposed to need a new cpu for cyberpunk 2020 thats as much as a ps5

Aye Marshal Vespasian, I figure 'why have one when an element is likely two?'  It's there to 'anchor the line'... by being in the middle of someone elses and breaking it like a new years resolution :wink: It also means I don't have to make a base the size of a wall clock for them which is nice. As an aside on the computer front... yeah, yeah they are absolutely crazy.  With the markup they had the card I wanted at nearly twice the cost of a PS5, so I got an RTX 20 series hoping it'll run blender more smoothly for 30K 3D work, and if it just so happens to run Cyberpunk with some ray tracing, well wouldn't that be cool ? 

Hah, thanks Sarabando.  And you and me both.  I do love the termie but those volkites, maaan, I had to go rework them because I was nearly shrieking by the end of printing them with my reaver squads.  Those muzzle shrouds... the horror... the horror.,..

That said, seeing them is always awesome.  Blast, thought I had included that, in my post too Hungry Nostraman Lizard, sorry 'bout that, I wouldn't gloss a termie like that too.  Seriously good look with the wire connecting it to the TDA too, looks great and frankly the Indomitus with Catii arms sells it.  Mind if we get a shot with the pauldrons on?  I'm actually really interested in how it all looks because indomitus is so rare.  (Absolutely love the ZM shots last page too, my dude.  Particularly heavy chainblade group) It's great to see Mourneval units getting coverage too, our immediate group has been introducing them more and more to the table.  

Aye Marshal Vespasian, I figure 'why have one when an element is likely two?'  It's there to 'anchor the line'... by being in the middle of someone elses and breaking it like a new years resolution :wink: It also means I don't have to make a base the size of a wall clock for them which is nice. As an aside on the computer front... yeah, yeah they are absolutely crazy.  With the markup they had the card I wanted at nearly twice the cost of a PS5, so I got an RTX 20 series hoping it'll run blender more smoothly for 30K 3D work, and if it just so happens to run Cyberpunk with some ray tracing, well wouldn't that be cool ? 

Hah, thanks Sarabando.  And you and me both.  I do love the termie but those volkites, maaan, I had to go rework them because I was nearly shrieking by the end of printing them with my reaver squads.  Those muzzle shrouds... the horror... the horror.,..

That said, seeing them is always awesome.  Blast, thought I had included that, in my post too Hungry Nostraman Lizard, sorry 'bout that, I wouldn't gloss a termie like that too.  Seriously good look with the wire connecting it to the TDA too, looks great and frankly the Indomitus with Catii arms sells it.  Mind if we get a shot with the pauldrons on?  I'm actually really interested in how it all looks because indomitus is so rare.  (Absolutely love the ZM shots last page too, my dude.  Particularly heavy chainblade group) It's great to see Mourneval units getting coverage too, our immediate group has been introducing them more and more to the table.  

print them barrel up and they will come out better you also need to shrink them by about 5% to fit normal indomni termies they look fine  with the chaos ones.

I have got a start collecting for xmas and a FW voucher so i have some goodies on their way for my ultra marines, and il be adding the dread to my 1ksons and the termi captain has already been stolen by the sons of Dorn.

In the end, I ended up just thickening the barrel shroud in general so it didn't crack or burst during handling I filled a fair bit in and said 'meh, not worth the effort' of fixing it. Then I forgot to do that with the volkite culverins on my 2E derived landspeeder squadron I'm doing up, aaaaand quickly regretted it. Aaye, I think I had shrunk them down 6% (just a default wheel blip in chitubox) because yeaaaah, that was an issue I'd forgotten about. Then I In the end it was a bit of a mess, I even have a set of FW chargers, but they wouldn't fit the chainblade bayonet I really wanted, so they ended up in my bits box (so now my default chargers are more 'carbines' halfway between a charger and a caliver because I really wanted that bayonet). Still, Reavers.

gallery_107230_14721_47111.jpg

FW ONLY just seemingly got a restock on their MkIIB Raider's in the Canada store in the past few days, which annoys me because I had that 'tell me when it's back in stock' for months. So, gotta go snag 2 more of them and a Spartan (if that's in stock).

Another excellent World Eater!

Vykes, thanks for all the kind words. Yeah, it's not the best volkite and the muzzles do bother me, but I'm too arsed to try and print them better. I've got no pads on at the moment, I'm trying to get a pal to remix some plain ones for me, or something more sinister. I tried green-stuff sculpting a spine onto the top of the indomitus, but it didn't work out. I'll post some work in a few, not been feeling too well lately - got something stuck in me eye, me thinks...

Those tanks are a thing of beaut. That's the bar right there, for SoH vehicle schemes! Mind telling me where you got the assassin sculpt from?

Eh thankies LameBeard m'dude, glad to be mostly back (getting everything set up again is interesting after so long). And nices, World Eaters are always fun, glad to hear yer boy got into that part too.  That's gotta rock, man.  And hey, it looks pretty good to me!

I getcha Hungry Nostraman Lizard, honestly what can I say, your 42nd is always awesome to see done up, fleet and all!  As for volkites... I mean, I love the guns, but cowling has always been that thing that drove me crazy.  So I had to try to fix it in Blender which was a chore.  A spine on an indomitus, that does sound like a cool idea admittedly, shame it didn't work.  That'd really fit with the Night Lords.  Hey, hope you're feelin' better soon dude, eyes... I always just use the teabag trick if I need it.  Gets super dusty and desert-dry here so eye irritation is kinda a thing when you have to do any sort of work with particles (painting or sanding, etc).

Glad ya like the pair of Fellblades!  Figure I'd make it into a heavy company and just go with the superheavies.  I'll admit I'm pretty happy with the way they came out and they were pretty quick to do.  Though, the leading wheel was just as obnoxious on both of them as they were on my old Glaive. That assassin's base was actually from Artel W, which came in pretty recently after a 6 month wait.  Then I printed up some hair and the claws to fit what I wanted, and frankly painted it up over the course of one very VERY dull online D&D game.  

o4wkNgt.jpg?1

Had these new 40k terminators sitting for ages. Don't play 40k, so I decided i'd use indomitus armor as the experimental terminator armor pattern it was, and make Heavy Destroyers, from the Mournival rule set. Going to 'heresify' the one whose arms are already attached a bit, probably shave the leg trim a bit and add bonding studs.

I'm trying to do cabling for some conversions and I'm absolutely awful at greenstuff. I completely forgot guitar wire works. Thank ya!

Edited by Irate Khornate

Somebody introduced me to the Unreal Wargaming Studio urban bases and it makes me regret getting the Sector Imperialis bases.

The 32mm size has far more variants than the GW, they do a flier base, bike bases (which with Sector Imperialis I guess I'm using the smaller ovals?) and Leviathan sized bases. Also no Aquila.

Yes they cost a fair bit more and I've already put 50 infantry on bases (and used plastic glue on them...) but it is tempting...

I'd recommend just investing in materials to make less detailed, but still cool urban bases. Small slate chips and some sand/two different sizes of sand/basing glop from a variety of manufacturers. Green stuff to add topography and make stuff stick properly. Sprue for girders. Cork board. Maybe some bits.

Definitely less than 10£ for 10 unless you need to buy all the supplies and only intend to use 10 bases.

I'd recommend just investing in materials to make less detailed, but still cool urban bases. Small slate chips and some sand/two different sizes of sand/basing glop from a variety of manufacturers. Green stuff to add topography and make stuff stick properly. Sprue for girders. Cork board. Maybe some bits.

Definitely less than 10£ for 10 unless you need to buy all the supplies and only intend to use 10 bases.

I agree, some very simple bases can be knocked up even with small slate, patches of texture paint and a little sand even. But it depends on look you're going for! But then I'm a sucker for Resin bases as well....my bitz box can attest to that!

No massive progress on my Blood Angels so far...I've acquired some Land Raider doors and some more Sanguinary Guard bitz etc to eventually use though. We shall see. Maybe Spring will bring a Primarch?

BCC

My post Xmas FW order arrived I now have more Mk6 bits to finish the breacher squad, sadly victrix got back to me and won't be making their Greek hopilite shields for a while :(

https://www.conversionworld.de/index.php?pageId=suche&language=en&aktuellerTag=Shields&tag1=&tag2=&tag3=&kategorie=Bitz%20by%20Type

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Spartan-Shield

My post Xmas FW order arrived I now have more Mk6 bits to finish the breacher squad, sadly victrix got back to me and won't be making their Greek hopilite shields for a while :sad.:

https://www.conversionworld.de/index.php?pageId=suche&language=en&aktuellerTag=Shields&tag1=&tag2=&tag3=&kategorie=Bitz%20by%20Type

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Spartan-Shield

out of stock too and far to expensive for the other one

Man, a FW order for me only just shipped despite it being snapped up before Christmas... so, few days left. Not just a local phenomenon then?

On the plus side, did finally get a picture of someone I worked up for a Christmas present that I still can't drop off for another little while. Wish metallic bronzes showed up more 'poppin' in the picture but, least it's done and done. On the plus side, I do like counter shading with contrast paint.

gallery_107230_14721_10524.jpg

gallery_107230_14721_66842.jpg

Now I'm off to finish up some prep work on some heavy void recon marines with shotguns.