30k Hobby Chat

I don't mind a good courier like dsl. I've gotten Hong Kong to Ottawa in...a business week? Completely worth the added cost; double shipping charge and over a month is really souring in comparison.

That being said, I tend to prefer the 3d prints on thingiverse and cults as they're fully 40/30k as opposed to knockoff mostly similar that vanguard provides. Some really great stls on those sites.

From what I have read on updates on the site, think the guy that runs Vanguard has really been struggling with order volumes to the point where he has had to stop sales on his site for a few days to catch up.

Although really he should add shipping warnings to outside the UK as other companies are doing. I had a small parcel take 3 weeks (using standard post) just to get over the channel to France, something that should have taken 2-3 days, and I think a lot of shipping and import/export is being held up at the moment. 

That being said, I tend to prefer the 3d prints on thingiverse and cults as they're fully 40/30k as opposed to knockoff mostly similar that vanguard provides. Some really great stls on those sites.

Well, each to their own :smile.: I think the Vanguard stuff looks enough like the 30k marines etc. that with a paint scheme especially you can tell what they are supposed to be. I think especially with the vagaries of a conflict that happened 10,000 years before there has to be a bit of wiggle room for designs of armour and vehicles. 

Edited by Pacific81

Yea, this was between last February and May, so the world hadn't quite gotten shown down to the current point.

I'm also not saying that the aesthetic is incorrect or anything like that. Just that the stls are exactly 40k and that I prefer the stl as a result if I had to choose.

Got a batch of IX Legion infantry back in my hands*, so pumped to get them painted up proper and usable. 

• 15x Dawnbreakers (my own conversions)
  • 9x Assault Marines (basic, no shields; already have a Sgt for them)
  • 2x Command Squad members, including Standard Bearer and a guy I may double-dip as a temporary Legion Champion based on the pose (I already have the other 3x done). 
  • 2x Dreadnought Drop Pods
  • Raldoron needs finishing (I had put him on hold for a bit)
  • Chaplain I need to get going on

I have the first Mephiston book and Darkness in the Blood waiting in Audible as well. Yea, I know they're the wrong period stories, but they'll do for getting the above cranked out. 

*I have a really weird system of "getting red" for my guys; I used LutherMax's airbrush method for most of my stuff, but then moved and had to sell my airbrush do to space and noise constraints. My friend who took the airbrush agreed to "get red" my dudes with the airbrush and then I finish them off from there. It's a wacky method, but I'm too deep into it at this point with my armies to change it up now. 

I’ve only got red books (in digital) not black books - haven’t take the plunge yet. I see that softback options now available and cheaper — anyone any experience with these? Are they tiny with tiny text?

I have some of the softbacks, they are of good print quality. As for their size, they are about the dimensions of a 40k codex, so the pages end up only slightly smaller than the hard cover ones. The cover is of a solid construction and is pretty sturdy for a softback.

I think they're fine. I prefer the hard covers, but I have been pretty happy with what they've done with the soft covers as well.

I think they're fine. I prefer the hard covers, but I have been pretty happy with what they've done with the soft covers as well.

Thanks, I might treat myself, since my red book doesn’t have Blood Angels or Dark Angels (ie the two legions I seem to be working on now, even if only at a glacial pace!)

The dude looks fine LameBeard.

Marines belong on 32s anyways, but that's just me :laugh.:

Thanks. 32mm it is.

Of course seems to me in 9th edition you’ll end up with most marines on 40mm?

Eh? What do you mean? Even with Primaris, the basic models are on 32s. 40mm is Gravis and special units that are base size 3 (Eliminators and Bladeguard Veterans)

What do you mean? Even with Primaris, the basic models are on 32s. 40mm is Gravis and special units that are base size 3 (Eliminators and Bladeguard Veterans)

Just me exaggerating for humorous effect. I think Eradicators and also Heavy Intercessors(?) as well as Bladeguard, being the models people are most excited about, so you could end up with an army with a lot of 40mm.

Decided that 30K Blood Angels should be a "goer" in 2021 so that I can have a collection ready for events in 2022. It also means that when I next go to WHW I can treat myself as a reward to Sanguinius...possibly Raldaron as well...:happy.:

BCC

Very cool BCC.

I am still chipping away at all the minis i think are cool for my fists. Mainly increasing the armoured cohort and working towards getting an armoured spearhead list going. Currently at some 8k.

I think I'd like to get like 3k of a scars and BA going in the near/mid future to have 'IF and friends from the siege' ready to go for apoc.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Very cool BCC.

I am still chipping away at all the minis i think are cool for my fists. Mainly increasing the armoured cohort and working towards getting an armoured spearhead list going. Currently at some 8k.

I think I'd like to get like 3k of a scars and BA going in the near/mid future to have 'IF and friends from the siege' ready to go for apoc.

Yea SoT themed armies are only going to be more of a thing. I am very early stages of a fun little VII Legion force to complement my IX Legion. And V Legion is my hit-big-on-a-scratch-ticket dream army, so there's the building blocks there. 

Very cool BCC.

Yea SoT themed armies are only going to be more of a thing. I am very early stages of a fun little VII Legion force to complement my IX Legion. And V Legion is my hit-big-on-a-scratch-ticket dream army, so there's the building blocks there. 

I know I try to do projects that tend to align with certain events, like a XIXth legion force I'm planning for the drop site massacre.

I think a lot of people are going to do a SoT force as you said. I still don't know if I'm going to do white scars or blood angels when the time comes, but I'll probably decide that later.

I am going for a large, tank and infantry heaby core of VIIth legion. Scars as chorgorian brotherhood and angels as day of revelation. Basicly get what I wont buy for my fists for the other two armies. So not a lot of tanks, but jump infantry / jet bikes and speeders for them redpecrively.

But I backed the lunar aux kickstarter yesterday so thats a thing that exists now for me.

Yeah my Blood Angels are Defence of the Palace force. Almost all of them are in mk6 armour...not going to lie that’s taken me ages to piece together! XD

BCC

Sounds familiar. That Alpha Legion squad I pieced together in mostly plastic mk vi (cheating on backpacks) ended up having so many trips to the bits store I might as well have just bought Forgeworld in the first place.