30k Hobby Chat

Yeah my Blood Angels are Defence of the Palace force. Almost all of them are in mk6 armour...not going to lie that’s taken me ages to piece together! XD

BCC

Sounds familiar. That Alpha Legion squad I pieced together in mostly plastic mk vi (cheating on backpacks) ended up having so many trips to the bits store I might as well have just bought Forgeworld in the first place.

Yep! Though luckily I collect Chaos and loyalists so over the decades I’ve just squirrelled away the odd piece here and there!

BCC

My problem is I have a soft spot for pretty much all the Legions and not the financial stability to do it.

I do want to collect a small force of each of them, 1-2 HQs, a couple of troops and an interesting unit or two.

But I'd love to go overboard with the collections, a rapid strike force of Rhino and bike mounted Scars backed up by Speeders, Sabres and Sicarians would be glorious.

Do it at 6/8mm scale and then you can have all of the Legions, or at least do them and then still have money for other stuff like cars and houses :biggrin.: :wink:

Yeah my Blood Angels are Defence of the Palace force. Almost all of them are in mk6 armour...not going to lie that’s taken me ages to piece together! XD

BCC

Sounds familiar. That Alpha Legion squad I pieced together in mostly plastic mk vi (cheating on backpacks) ended up having so many trips to the bits store I might as well have just bought Forgeworld in the first place.

Yep! Though luckily I collect Chaos and loyalists so over the decades I’ve just squirrelled away the odd piece here and there!

BCC

my Ultras are all in mk6 too luckily 3d printer go brrrr

I'm also lucky in the fact that GW made the excellent BA shoulder pads kit. Whilst not identical to very armour mark thy fit great and are perfect for the "mixed bag" look that lets face it the BA would have by the time of the Siege of Terra.

BCC

I'm unsure any particular "period" for my Dark Angels as they're an... eclectic mix of armour marks :laugh.:

I don't necessarily go for a specific 'period' too strongly with modelling and all, but I do factor it into my choices as far as what to build and paint forces of.

I have a small VI legion force, which lets me play Prospero, I have my DA force for Thramas, Word Bearers for Calth, Shadow Crusade, etc.

So it's not a strict adherence, but lets me end up with a set of legions sampled across different warzones. It's something I keep in mind at least.

I still tend to build to a 'theme' than any one particular time period (there are exceptions, Luna wolves etc), though in the end I end up gradually falling towards a particular period that warzones fall into regardless. More than that, I still tend to lean into a lot of the 'Visions' imagery so I gravitate towards that rather than some other sources.

Aaaand as for visions, finally worked up the first of my Recon troopers. -sighs- i actually have 10 done, but forgot about the baes and those are just ones I have on hand. Rest of the day is gonna be doing up another 30 bases so I can just pop em on when I need em.

gallery_107230_14721_153574.jpg

Eh I thought so too Pearson!  It's got that nice combination of the mk IV snout and the old school megaman ear covered mk VI beakies from RT... which the new Primaris mk X kinda has going on, too.  I thought it worked and gave it some uniqueness, been looking for a way to work those helmets in for a while now.

Them be some 3d prints that Mildseven put up a while back, Lucerne.  But they're straight from a Visions illustration... memory serves, from an Emperor's Children legionnaire.

I do want to collect a small force of each of them, 1-2 HQs, a couple of troops and an interesting unit or two.

This is such a temptation: I keep cycling through a "wouldn't it be nice if I just did a Thousand Sons/Alpha Legion/Night Lords" force as a palette cleanser and allied detachment, and then I'm mocking up lists and looking at Forge World...

Must resist :laugh.:.

This is such a temptation: I keep cycling through a "wouldn't it be nice if I just did a Thousand Sons/Alpha Legion/Night Lords" force as a palette cleanser and allied detachment, and then I'm mocking up lists and looking at Forge World...

Must resist :laugh.:.

I feel like there's that point of no return, once you got that (dangerous!) combo of list idea and conversion bits you'd use. Once that crystallizes it can be so hard to walk back from the edge <looks at VII Legion project I just kicked off>. Do as I say, not as I do....

@Lamebeard, eeeeyup, just a mirrored left and right thing with printing.  Honestly, marines were supposed to be ambidextrous (oh how fun a word that is, both-right) so, why not.  Representation matters, variety matters, it's fun to work with for me too.  

@Hfran Morkai, oh man, those half-helmets are absolutely rockin.  Toss 'em in blender and you can get even more mileage out of it... it is always cool to have the half helm rebreather, and honestly I never even thought about the mk II-III like that because it always had that early medieval great helm feel to em.  

Ooooh the palate cleanser force, yeaaah those always feel mortally dangerous.  I have a standing order with a mate of mine to whack me with a rolled up newspaper any time I mention 'thinking' and 'world eaters' in the same sentence.  

Does anyone know if there will be a loyalty and treachery event this year? :smile.:

It depends on Captain Semper who's the main driving force behind the event and ETL.
I guess Loyalty & Treachery is not happening. How about something friendly and low pressure using Grotsmasha’s 12 Months of Hobby challenge? We could just count heresy completions / models in that thread on a Loyalist vs. Traitor basis - could even do it ‘self-administered’ - everyone who completes just updates the score in their post. It could be fun “vow complete, 1-0 to Horus” and that way you only need to check the previous ‘heresy’ post, no additional book keeping required.

Edit: @Grotsmasha if you are reading this, obviously I will ask your permission before I go hijacking your thread. I don’t want it to muddle anything you are planning like another campaign. Maybe we keep the score in this thread?

Edited by LameBeard

Just bagged myself some of the metal Scouts. I prefer the sculpts (both standard and Wolf) to the plastics. Still more to collect but I'll have enough for a full squad in recon armour

I agree. I have five that have sat in a cupboard for years waiting for paint. I just wasn’t sure about the chest eagles or any other way of making them look “30k”. So they still languish.

I guess Loyalty & Treachery is not happening. How about something friendly and low pressure using Grotsmasha’s 12 Months of Hobby challenge? We could just count heresy completions / models in that thread on a Loyalist vs. Traitor basis - could even do it ‘self-administered’ - everyone who completes just updates the score in their post. It could be fun “vow complete, 1-0 to Horus” and that way you only need to check the previous ‘heresy’ post, no additional book keeping required.

Edit: @Grotsmasha if you are reading this, obviously I will ask your permission before I go hijacking your thread. I don’t want it to muddle anything you are planning like another campaign. Maybe we keep the score in this thread?

You could do something similar to the old monthly challenges that was done a fair few years ago. Here's an example. Maybe not monthly as you probably won't get as much traffic but worth a thought.

As for myself, my Alpha Legion has been on hold for a few years and I've decided that 2021 is the year where I get them up to a finished state (baring any future additions) and actually get some games in with them!

So, I'm in the process of finishing off two rhinos and a 10 man lascannon squad:

http://zedmeister.co.uk/resimg/hh/AlphaLegion-HS-Rhinos1.jpg

They're a bit futher on than the photo shows with chipping and oil washes done. Just the bases and powders to finish off. After that, all that's left is:

- 2 Vindicator Laser Destroyers

- 1 Apothecary

- 5 Headhunters

- 1 Deredeo Dreadnought.

I will finish this army!

Due to the race for terras fantastic videos and nice discord channel.i kight have finally gotten tank tracks done, that I like.

Currently finalizing two sabres and my second sic ven. The tank detachment grows ever larger....

Also backed lunar aux on kickstarter. Wanted a traitor force anyways