30k Hobby Chat

I picked up some of the plastic speeders for my word bearers, have those coming along. I might have to pick up some of the resin ones as well, but I thought it'd be fun to glue random things to the plastic one, and it was.

i added 2 to my Sons of Horus and added havoc launchers using 3d printed contemptor missiles. I want to add a third but honestly i dont feel the plastic kit is worth the asking price, i got these from conquest and that price for such an old mini was spot on.

3oWOLBy.jpg

Made a post about this in the NRA forum, but we have confirmation from Forge World about what's going on with the things randomly going "No Longer Available":

QkJoM3W.jpg

TL;DR: Coding screw-ups, don't worry it'll be back soon (whenever the pandemic permits :lol:)

Edited by Gederas

Made a post about this in the NRA forum, but we have confirmation from Forge World about what's going on with the things randomly going "No Longer Available":

QkJoM3W.jpg

TL;DR: Coding screw-ups, don't worry it'll be back soon (whenever the pandemic permits :laugh.:)

They must have got a HELL of a lot of complaint for them to actually comment :sweat:

Speaking of Speeders, I'm working on my Dark Angels (my 30k/40k crossover force) and I'm wondering: How decent are the normal Land Speeders? Asking because I only have two.

But I have something like 60+ bikes :laugh.:

I'm up to 8 speeders but I'm antsy having only 9 bikes :tongue.: Honestly, the things are pretty under represented locally, but I still love 'em.  Sure, they aren't as good as javelins from a mechanical standpoint, but they're ripe for conversion work and have some fun and funky weapon combinations.  There's something to be said about grav guns and multi-meltas as heavy anti-tank platforms, especially with the dearth of grav in most legions. 

Still, they're a ton of fun in low-end matches like Deception/Centurion, where they dart around like mosquitos and may even get that oh-so-delicious rocket strike off on a dreadnought or some such.  

QkJoM3W.jpg

TL;DR: Coding screw-ups, don't worry it'll be back soon (whenever the pandemic permits :laugh.:)

They must have got a HELL of a lot of complaint for them to actually comment :sweat:

Or... That person was the first one to ask their Facebook page and not email them? :laugh.:

Speaking of Speeders, I'm working on my Dark Angels (my 30k/40k crossover force) and I'm wondering: How decent are the normal Land Speeders? Asking because I only have two.

But I have something like 60+ bikes :laugh.:

I'm up to 8 speeders but I'm antsy having only 9 bikes :tongue.: Honestly, the things are pretty under represented locally, but I still love 'em.  Sure, they aren't as good as javelins from a mechanical standpoint, but they're ripe for conversion work and have some fun and funky weapon combinations.  There's something to be said about grav guns and multi-meltas as heavy anti-tank platforms, especially with the dearth of grav in most legions. 

Still, they're a ton of fun in low-end matches like Deception/Centurion, where they dart around like mosquitos and may even get that oh-so-delicious rocket strike off on a dreadnought or some such. 

I mean, I got almost my entire Dark Angels army second-hand so :lol:

And I see. Duly noted

Edited by Gederas

The best way to use speeders is to give them basically nothing and just use them to block enemy tanks' movement. If you play on board with a lot of impassable you can choke out the entire army's move and pen them in their deployment. Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Ok, so quick summary for two 30k games I managed to get in in the past.....few weeks? Month? Man, time has no meaning any more these days and the bad news is I never wrote about my 1st battle as I said I would a few pages back. Good news is I shockingly (in the best of ways) managed to get another game in this weekend. And actually, packaging them together is good because of the parallels and lessons learned, etc...

First battle: 

Hidden Content

2500pts My IX Legion vs Opponent's XVI Legion

Rite of War: Day of Sorrow

Opp RoW: Pride of the Legion

Lists (Roughly, from memory) :

Mine:

Hidden Content

HQ: 

Praetor

-Jump Pack

-Artificer

-Iron Halo

-Bolt pistol

-Blade of Perdtion

-Melta bombs (Master-crafted)

-Digital Lasers

Command Squad (4)

-Jump Packs

-Standard Bearer: Combat shield + Power Fist

-2x Veterans with Combat shields + Charnabal Sabers

-1x Veteran with Combat shield + power axe

TROOPS:

Assault Marines x 10

-Combat shields

-Power axe x 2

-Sgt Artificer, Thunder hammer, melta bombs

Assault Marines x 10

-Combat shields

-Power axe x 2

Tactical Support Squad (5)

-Volkite Calivers

-Sgt Artificer, Power Fist, bolter, Augury Scanner

Rhino

Tactical Support Squad (5)

-Volkite Calivers

-Sgt Artificer, Power Fist, bolter, Augury Scanner

Rhino

ELITES:

Contemptor Dreadnought (1)

-Contemptor

-TL Lascannon

-CCW w/ in-built combi-bolter

Dreadnought Drop Pod

Dreadnought Talon (3)

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

-Dreadnought

--2x TL Autocannons

Veteran Tactical Legion Squad (5)

-Machinekillers

-Combi-melta x 4

-Bolt pistol + chainsword x 4

-Melta bombs

-Sgt Artificer, Power fist, Combi-melta, melta bombs

Rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Land Raider Squadron (1)

-Land Raider Phobos

--Dozer blade

His list:

Hidden Content

HQ:

Abaddon

Primaris Apothecary

-Cataphractii Terminator Armor

-Power axe

Chaplain

Primaris Apothecary

-Crozius: Power Axe

TROOPS:

Veteran Tactical Squad (10)

-Stalkers

-Nuncio vox

-Plasma gun x 2

-Bolters + chainswords x 7

-Sgt Artificer, Power Sword, Combi-Plasma, melta bombs

Rhino

-Stalkers

-Nuncio vox

-Plasma gun x 2

Rhino

-Stalkers

-Nuncio vox

-Plasma gun x 2

Rhino

ELITES:

Justaeran Terminators x 5

-mix of chainfists, lightning claws, power axes

-Combi-bolters

Dreadnought Talon (3)

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Leviathan Dreadnought x 1

-Storm Cannon

-CCW w/ in-built melta gun

-Phosphex Discharger

-Armoured Ceramite

Vindicator x 1

-Pintle Multi-Melta

-Pintle combi-melta

-Dozer blade

Vindicator x 1

-Pintle Multi-Melta

-Pintle combi-melta

-Dozer blade

Mission was the one with Kill points for VP. 

Deployment: Class of the Line

Pic of Deployment before First Turn:

Hidden Content

WhatsApp Image 2021 02 13 At 17.55.48

In essence, everything that could go wrong for me did starting with rolling for the Mission. I wanted to test out Day of Sorrows for a couple reasons, and especially I've heard that Day of Revelations can almost be a crutch at times, so I deliberately wanted to stay away from it. Likewise, my list was as much as compilation of stuff I had painted and ready to go compared to other units (i.e. Dawnbreakers) that would likely feature more often in future lists but were not at a table-ready standard yet (by my own weird standards). Any hoo, I had chosen the RoW that focuses on controlling objectives in a match that would feature no objectives. And that RoW that rewards your opponent for only half-killing your units in a mission where killing units is all that matters.  The deployment zone was the triangles one and that disadvantaged me since he had his Vindicators in prime position to move up and strike while I had not great cover in the front part of mine (evidenced by the green dice marking DZ's in the pic). 

In a nutshell, he got to deploy and go first (I rolled a 1 for Seize in the start of a serious of Legendarily bad rolling) and even though I had deployed VERY defensively to keep away form his Vindicators and lascannons, he still managed to Shake or Stun almost all of my vehicles, pop open a Rhino, and be setup for some pie plate action that nuked an Assault Squad off the board and just tumbled downhill from there. My only consolation(s) throughout the whole game was my Machinekills melta-bombing one of the Vindicators after their Rhino was clipped by a Vindicator; it was a cheeky, ballsy move, if I may say so, since it preserved their melta guns for potential other targets (like the Leviathan with a rear arc near them) while also getting them in the opposite direction of where the freshly-nuncio-vox-guided Justaeran bomb had just dropped; and my Command Squad + Praetor wiping 1.5 Vet Tac squads and rolling an epic # of 6's with Combat Shields to shrug off a Direct hit from the other Vindicator (my only good rolling of the entire game). The rest was just a slow painful loss where I took a few models with me at best and from some perspectives I should have called it around T3, but I was determined to fight to the last (Day of Sorrow?) and at least gleam as much battefield data that I could. Score not even worth mentioning; it was bad.

Lessons learned:

-I knew Dreadnought Drop Pods were FAQ'd, but I didn't realize what exactly the updated rules are. The update rules make them.....not worth 100pts IMO. Their reason for existing was to get Dreads safely where you want them without being tied to an Orbital Assault type RoW, but the latest rules defeats the safely part IMO since they now have to hop out. We played it wrong (the old way where he could sit inside and shoot out) and I was....mildly unimpressed...so with the latest rules I don't know if I'll be using them in the future. Shame, since I have two I just got underway painting.

-High-strength-low-AP pie plates hurt. As if that lesson really needs learning. 

-Volkite let me down. My theory was to have the Tac Support squads sit on Obj and use the 30" S6 Heavy 2 shots as fire support for the Assault squads....but this match featured no objectives and I deployed them defensively in Rhinos on the back edge of the board, so basically it was the worst possible way to use them. That being said, they did manage to get a decent # of shots off and did.....0 damage. I get how swingy Volkite is and many people swear by it, but consider this the firmly on the "poor" end of the performance spectrum. 

-Dreadnought talons have potential

Second battle: 

Hidden Content

3000pts My IX Legion vs (the same) Opponent's XVI Legion

Rite of War: None

Opp RoW: Pride of the Legion

Lists (Roughly, from memory) :

Mine:

Hidden Content

HQ: 

Raldoron

Forge Lord

-Jump Pack

-Servo-arm

-Cyber-familiar

-Refractor field

-Artificer armor

-Blade of Perdition

-Rad grenades

-Bolt pistol

Command Squad (4)

-Standard Bearer: Combat shield + Power Fist

-2x Veterans with Combat shields + Charnabal Sabers

-1x Veteran with Combat shield + power axe

-1x Veteran with Volkite Charger

TROOPS:

Assault Marines x 19

-Combat shields

-Power axe x 3

Assault Marines x 10

-Power axe x 2

-Sgt Artificer, Power axe, melta bombs

Tactical Squad (10)

-Bolters

-Combat blades

-Sgt Artificer, Power Fist, bolter, melta bombs

Rhino

ELITES:

Apothecarion Detachment (2)

-Apothecary

--Jump Pack

--Power sword

-Apothecary

--Artificer armor

--Power sword

Contemptor Dreadnought (1)

-Contemptor

-TL Lascannon

-CCW w/ in-built combi-bolter

Dreadnought Talon (3)

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

Angel's Tears (9)

-Assault cannon x 5

-Dual Volkite Serpenta x 3

-Sgt Artificer

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Land Raider Squadron (1)

-Land Raider Phobos

--Dozer blade

Predator Strike Squadron (3)

-Predator

--Predator Autocannon

--Sponsons: Lascannons

--Pintle: Combi-Bolter

--Dozer Blade

--Machine Spirit

-Predator

--Predator Autocannon

--Dozer Blade

--Machine Spirit

-Predator

--Predator Autocannon

--Dozer Blade

--Machine Spirit

--Squadron Command Tank

Vindicator

--Combi-bolter

--Mine plough

His list:

Hidden Content

HQ:

Abaddon

Primaris Apothecary

-Power axe

TROOPS:

-Stalkers

-Nuncio vox

-Bolters + chainswords

-Melta bombs

-Sgt Artificer, Power Sword, bolter

Rhino

-Stalkers

-Nuncio vox

-Bolters + chainswords

-Melta bombs

Rhino

-Stalkers

-Nuncio vox

-Bolters + chainswords

-Melta bombs

Rhino

Tactical Support Squad (10)

-Plasma guns

-Sgt Artificer, Combi-Plasma

ELITES:

Justaeran Terminators x 5

-mix of chainfists, lightning claws, power axes

-Combi-bolters

-Multi-melta x 1

Dreadnought Talon (3)

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

-Dreadnought

--TL Lascannon

--CCW w/ combi-bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Land Raider Phobos

-Dozer Blade

Leviathan Dreadnought x 1

-2x Storm Cannon

-Phosphex Discharger

-Armoured Ceramite

Fire Raptor Gunship

-Quad Heavy bolters

-Stock missiles

Mission: Dominion

Deployment: Dawn of War

Pic of Deployment Zones before First Turn:

Hidden Content

WhatsApp Image 2021 02 27 At 19.31.31

My goals were to test out:

• Raldoron for the first time
  • An Assault Brick loaded op with an Apothecary and Rad-grenades-bearing Forge Lord
  • Vindicator with Shred (ala Ral's WLT)
  • Tactical Squad vs Tactical Support squad
  • Angel's Tears with "too many is never enough" Assault cannons
  • Predators
  • ...vehicle squadrons

How it went this time: 

He conceded at the bottom of Turn 4. In the words of my perennial opponent, my Vindicator was "Tom Brady in Super Bowl LI". 

It started off not great for me, with me going first but managing to only wreck one Rhino with my Assault Brick and Shake one Dreadnought despite the decent amount of long-range AT shooting I had. My goal had been to neutralize his Dreads and get the Assault Brick into combat with the contents of his forward-most Rhino....but instead the Assault brick had to knock it down with Krak grenades thus leaving them exposed...

...to his Levithan with dual storm cannons and Phosphex discharger which managed to kill 15/19 of them in a single round of shooting, leaving a single Falling Back survivor after 2 of his Vet Tacs pumped bolters into them afterwards. I took some damage on some vehicles, but that was the brunt of his turn. My second turn my shooting Immobilized his Land Raider (sitting in his backfield with the Plasma Support as a QRF), and kill another dread, and then the Angel's Tears stuck their landing in the dead center of the board to open up on the Vet Tac squad my Assault Brick was supposed to have killed....but they whiffed their shooting (0 Rends). Then the Vindicator decided to act and left just 3 Vet Tacs left with a Direct Hit. 

His second turn the Abby-FNP-Justaeran bomb lands in the middle of the map (one of the three surviving Vet Tacs had a Nuncio) and fatefully, he decides to prioritize the Vindicator with the unit's sole Multi-Melta, but fails to glance or pen. This proves crucial as he did not open up on the Angel's Tears nor the Land Raider (still bearing Ral and the command squad) right next door to the unit). The net effect is that he keeps his Leviathan back out of LoS of most of my army....but also out of range to do anything. His Fire Raptor DS'es in behind my Pred Squadron and manages to kill two and leave the remaining one by shooting heavy bolters into the AV10 back side of the one he can see. 

My Turn 3, I jump the Angel's Tears up into the center Bastion Terrain and in the moves that I think decide the game, decide to play strategically/defensively with both the Vindicator and the Land Raider and move them away from the fighting and decide to keep Ral and company inside. I remember a trick someone used to pull on me in 7th ed and try to use Power of the Machine Spirit on the LR to fire at his Zooming Fire Raptor only to find out that is not how it works and thus snarl at the memories of that guy doing that to me so many times years ago. But, in Warhammer as in life, adversity is how we grow and rising to the challenge is what brings out the best of us. Because of that failed gambit, it forces me to have to think extra hard and play very smart and essentially I focus on positioning and what I can kill now versus trying to be cheeky about anything further. And the Vindicator decides to stick his landing, getting a direct his on the Justaeran bomb (who shot at the Vindi, instead of running/spreading out) and kills 5x Justaeran). The Angel's Tears bring Abby* down to 2 wounds.

His shooting kills all but 2 of my Tactical Marines who tried to charge one of his Rhinos after disembarking their own <face palm for confusing 9th ed rules with 30k> and gets the Angel's Tears down to just 3x Assault Cannon guys, still perched about Abby + the Medicae who he sends the 3 man Vet tacs over to join with into a new unit. Crucially, his Leviathan now moves closer to the center of the board to stand next to his 2nd 10-man Vet Tac squad holding an off-center Obj. Likewise, he sees my defensive maneuvering and offloads his Plasma Support squad from his backfield-Immobilized Land Raider after realizing a Quick Reaction Force is useless if there's nothing to react to. The Support squad is now some few inches behind the Levi/Vet Tacs. And because I had pulled my Vindicator back, away from the line of battle, his Fire Raptor can't get rear arc on it and decides to fly off in a different direction thus leaving the Vindicator alive to...

...get another Direct Hit on his 10man Vet Tac squad which also tags the Levithan. 6x Vets die and the Levi explodes....killing 2 more Vets and six Plasma support guys including the Sgt. 

I move the lone surviving Assault-brick marine into position to cap central OBJ for next turn and the Angel's Tears into unfailable charge range of Abby, Medicae, and 3 Vets squad. My shield-less Assault squad that has up until this point just sat on an OBJ move up into 4" or so Charge range of Abby + co. Frag grenades, Assault cannons, and bolt pistols fail to do anything remarkable, but everyone makes their charges and a few HoW attacks are thrown in for good measure. Rad grenades help and though I barely make it in terms of dice rolls, everyone in the enemy squad is dead and Abbadon is left with a single wound, to my loss of 2x Assault Marines and an Angel's Tear.  

His Vet squad down to 2 dudes runs and the Plasma support (halved to 5) stays put, but will take at least a full turn until they are in range to do anything useful. He has a damaged Fire Raptor, an immobilized Land Raider way back and with bad fire arcs, a full 10man Vet squad sitting on an OBJ and 2x Rhinos left, plus Abby doing his last-man-standing thing. 

He concedes at the bottom of Turn 4 and we go drink beer. 

Lessons learned:

-High-strength-low-AP pie plates hurt. As if that lesson really needs learning. 

-Assault blobs/brick had no data. i wanted to see how such a souped up unit would perform, but it didn't last long enough to provide any data at all. I see it as inconclusive since his Leviathan with Phospex blasts and dual Storm Cannons is basically THE perfect counter to a unit like that and I through my own idiocy got them bunched up into a terrible position to be exposed to said Levi. 

-Angel's Tears (2nd time ever using them, and first time using them other than a token 5 man unit) have potential, but I need more data to see how much Rending averages out (I got like 1 rend in 3x rounds of shooting, even with 5(!!!) Assault Cannons in the squad). 

-Rad grenades as an Assault booster sound like a great idea, and they helped get 2+ to Wound for my BA against Abby and Co but unless they are embedded in the unit (the goal of the Forge Lord) I think they may take too much effort to position properly. 

-I really do not see the point of vehicle Squadrons. They are a liability more than an asset, a hypothesis the game validated. The Tank Hunters potential buff just is not worth it and it means you're moving closer to enemies you ideally want to keep at stand-off range.

-I felt pretty proud about myself playing tactical and focusing kiting/shooting down at range what I could kill instead of attempting to get fellas into melee just for the sake of it....even though that meant my stabbiest dude (Raldoron) never stepped out of his ride the entire game. But you don't play the cards, you play the other players at the table, so it worked out. 

*Rules question: you have a unit of 5 dudes with 2x Independent Characters in there. The 5x squad dudes die, thus leaving just the IC's alive. They are considered 2x separate units as soon as the last guy in the unit "gluing" them together is killed, correct? Does that happen immediately? Or the following phase? Or the following Turn? In melee, they are all considered the same unit until the Combat phase is over, correct? 

No. Independent characters only join or leave units in the movement phase; if you had multiple characters attached then they'd still be one unit if the rest died until your next movement phase when you end your move more than 2" apart.

No. Independent characters only join or leave units in the movement phase; if you had multiple characters attached then they'd still be one unit if the rest died until your next movement phase when you end your move more than 2" apart.

Ok so in this case Abby and Medicae are part of a 5 man Justaeran unit, all Justaeran are killed in the first salvo of the Shooting phase, leaving just Abby and Medicae, who are considered 1 unit for the rest of the Turn until the start of the controlling player's next Movement phase....that's how it works? 

...but then in the Controlling player's Movement phase they are automatically broken off into 2x separate units since they are IC's and IC's can't make units together unless there is a non-IC unit to join, correct?

Indefragable: I have the same shelves like you. Great stuff. Easy to build, very light and cheap. :biggrin.:

Both games were at my long-time local FLGS (funnily enough, the same table in the back both games) which sadly is moving locations and may not have the same space in the future. Been going there for almost 7 years now, where I learned to play, and where I met some good friends, so definitely the end of an era. 

Basically yes. Except for the fact they can join each other; its the third sentence of the page.

Do you happen to own the rulebook? I know some clubs split on the 30k books and keep them there which makes it hard for learning the rules outside of mid-gameplay.

QkJoM3W.jpg

That was my first thought as well! GW's communication is some of the lowest and on the crappiest of tiers I've seen. Their "social media" presence is an absolute joke, and comments that are critical in any capacity often go disappearing...

My favorite description of the Proteus Land Speeder is “the flying OSHA violation.”

I snorted, nay, I trumpeted. This was so funny, bravo. :biggrin.: 

Apologies from the forums for my absence, I've been working on a million things, and my personal life has been absolutely hectic beyond imagination. Anyway, I did do something I was proud of and wanted to share on here.

9OjtJ6T.jpg?1

QkJoM3W.jpg

That was my first thought as well! GW's communication is some of the lowest and on the crappiest of tiers I've seen. Their "social media" presence is an absolute joke, and comments that are critical in any capacity often go disappearing...

My favorite description of the Proteus Land Speeder is “the flying OSHA violation.”

I snorted, nay, I trumpeted. This was so funny, bravo. :biggrin.: 

Apologies from the forums for my absence, I've been working on a million things, and my personal life has been absolutely hectic beyond imagination. Anyway, I did do something I was proud of and wanted to share on here.

9OjtJ6T.jpg?1

Absolutely top notch, mate! I really, REALLY dig how all the "flat" coloring look came out, especially the red. Like, a hell of a lot.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Already stated on fb but a fantastic model!

Just ordered some Lance Carbines (going to use one as a maglocked weapon for a Terminator) and a Familiar set from Anvil Industry (primarily for the raven as a cyber familiar for my Caster of Runes, not rules wise but just some theme) as well as some hands and weapons from Conversionworld.

Should be building my TDA command squad and Praetor Soon.

Could you guys post pictures of what is on the display of that speeder console?

Not sure if you meant mine but yes!

Stay on target...

YvB4WPO.jpg

I've also been working on rhino's. Really enjoying painting the orange! I'm stuck till the kraken decals arrive.

e2uwNHq.jpg