30k Hobby Chat

What was the Arcus like to build? I've read that Sicarans are quite nice to build in comparison to older models.

Pretty good! I enjoyed building it personally. A few problems like one of the mold keys or gates(I forget which is which) is connected pretty thickly to a rear plate above the track which got tricky to file down.

What was the Arcus like to build? I've read that Sicarans are quite nice to build in comparison to older models.

Pretty good! I enjoyed building it personally. A few problems like one of the mold keys or gates(I forget which is which) is connected pretty thickly to a rear plate above the track which got tricky to file down.

I think they're technically the same thing. The things attaching the resin model to the honkin big blocks of it, right?

I think they're technically the same thing. The things attaching the resin model to the honkin big blocks of it, right?

Yes sir!

Some awesome hobby here chaps! Loving it!

I'm trying to wedge my Blood Angels in somewhere amongst my painting schedule...hopefully sooner rather than later!

@Aztek: wow! Those black and reds are sooooooo smooth! Any screenshot can share brother?

Keep it folks!

BCC

https://imgur.com/a/U6qIT4s

Finished my Dark Angels Assault Drill. Also got some Cenobium in the mail from a commission! Super stoked about both.

Hi, 

First post here. Very nice Terrax, Aztek, are you going to weather that? 

Thanks! I don't really know much about weathering so I'm holding off for now until I can experiment on a Rhino or something.

Some awesome hobby here chaps! Loving it!

I'm trying to wedge my Blood Angels in somewhere amongst my painting schedule...hopefully sooner rather than later!

@Aztek: wow! Those black and reds are sooooooo smooth! Any screenshot can share brother?

Keep it folks!

BCC

Thanks! What about a screenshot?

https://imgur.com/a/U6qIT4s

Finished my Dark Angels Assault Drill. Also got some Cenobium in the mail from a commission! Super stoked about both.

Hi, 

First post here. Very nice Terrax, Aztek, are you going to weather that? 

Thanks! I don't really know much about weathering so I'm holding off for now until I can experiment on a Rhino or something.

That's a good idea. Weathering is about the only thing I do well, so if you have any questions...:wink:

@Aztek: Sorry miss-typed that day, I meant to ask have you any secrets you can share on the colour scheme! :blush.:

BCC

Ah for sure! So I airbrush vallejo black primer, then airbrush on Corvus Black, and finally add just a little bit of Dark Reaper in highlight spots to give the black a slightly blueish/grey look. Then for the red it's Gal Vorbak Red(Heresy I know) airbrushed on with just a tiny highlight of Mephiston Red over it. Hope that helps a little bit!

That's a good idea. Weathering is about the only thing I do well, so if you have any questions...:wink:

Welcome to the B&C @Lovecraft0110! I saw your tutorial for chipping World Eaters the other day, I'm planning on using those mad dogs as base decoration for my Iron Tenth, so I'll be going back to it at some point for some tips.

Speaking of base decor, I've been messing with a few other legions too, pretty happy with how the flame came out, though the whole torso needs another dark wash to darken him down:

med_gallery_71441_14877_14129.jpg

Welcome to the B&C @Lovecraft0110! I saw your tutorial for chipping World Eaters the other day, I'm planning on using those mad dogs as base decoration for my Iron Tenth, so I'll be going back to it at some point for some tips.

Speaking of base decor, I've been messing with a few other legions too, pretty happy with how the flame came out, though the whole torso needs another dark wash to darken him down:

med_gallery_71441_14877_14129.jpg

Hi Pearson 73!

I'm happy to hear my raging berserkers served as inspiration, as unlikely as it may be that they might decorate Xth legion bases...:biggrin.: That Word Bearer looks very cool, how did you do the battle damage?

I used to play Iron Tenth, by the way. One of my next projects will be stripping my Spartan so it can transport 20 "mad dogs", an an Apothecary, and Gahlan Surlak...

Give me a holler if you have any questions about chipping or whatever.

Regards,

Lovecraft0110

Edited by Lovecraft0110

Nice!

I am currently contemplating, what to paint the TRAITOROUS SCUM on sigismunds base as. I think I'll do the tank as death guard (try some rust products) and the legionary as an ec as I like painting purple.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Hi Pearson 73!

I'm happy to hear my raging berserkers served as inspiration, as unlikely as it may be that they might decorate Xth legion bases...:biggrin.: That Word Bearer looks very cool, how did you do the battle damage? 

I used to play Iron Tenth, by the way. One of my next projects will be stripping my Spartan so it can transport 20 "mad dogs", an an Apothecary, and Gahlan Surlak...

Regards, 

Lovecraft0110

Haha, those frothing hordes are no match for iron discipline and ranks of volkite bearing Immortals! A shame you lost your way and turned to the Warmaster, will you be starting up a project log so that we can see your progress with the XIIth? The Word Bearer was a lot of fun, the damage is simply gouged out with a knife and drill, the recesses and edges painted silver and then a load of dark washes over everything to tone it down.

@Marshal Vespasian the IIIrd sound like a good choice, the purple will offset Sigismund nicely.

@OP great idea for a thread :biggrin.:

Recently I spent some time trying to figure out a new colour scheme for my Blood Angels so I tried this one out.

I actually wasn't super happy with it so I went ahead and stripped the model back to bare plastic.

I plan on giving it another shot next week.

gallery_86352_12089_618443.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

That's a solid start with the Blood Angel, the lenses and chipping in particular. What were you unhappy with, anyhting specific?

Its not exactly a start given that he has about 40 of his BA brothers already done for about a few years now, its just that my skills have grown since then and I was thinking of changing up of scheme from here on out and not have to limit myself with the older scheme. 

I wasn't exactly keen on how far I took the color modulation and wanted to push it even further, to make him have a starker contrast between the darker and lighter parts of the model.

He looks great, I feel ya on wanting to push the contrast though, thats my mission with my fists currently as well.

Do you undershade the models?

Maybe go for a mix of a dark brown with a dark red as your deepest shade?

I love how well you achieve the 3d look on your armour chipping

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Hi Pearson 73!

I'm happy to hear my raging berserkers served as inspiration, as unlikely as it may be that they might decorate Xth legion bases...:biggrin.: That Word Bearer looks very cool, how did you do the battle damage?

Regards,

Lovecraft0110

Haha, those frothing hordes are no match for iron discipline and ranks of volkite bearing Immortals! A shame you lost your way and turned to the Warmaster, will you be starting up a project log so that we can see your progress with the XIIth? The Word Bearer was a lot of fun, the damage is simply gouged out with a knife and drill, the recesses and edges painted silver and then a load of dark washes over everything to tone it down.

@Marshal Vespasian the IIIrd sound like a good choice, the purple will offset Sigismund nicely.

Volkites, you say? What manner of chain-axe is that???

On a more serious note, where do you guys do project logs here?

@OP great idea for a thread :biggrin.:

Recently I spent some time trying to figure out a new colour scheme for my Blood Angels so I tried this one out.

I actually wasn't super happy with it so I went ahead and stripped the model back to bare plastic.

I plan on giving it another shot next week.

gallery_86352_12089_618443.jpg

You stripped THAT? Why? It looks great!

I prefer heavily weathered marines (personal taste), but that is super smooth! Creamy transitions.

Edit: I just read your explanation but...stripping? Here's a tip from me: take that same mini and apply a dark enamel wash from AK or Mig with your airbrush in the areas you want darkened. Instant contrast, no streaking or flood marks.

Edited by Lovecraft0110

That's a solid start with the Blood Angel, the lenses and chipping in particular. What were you unhappy with, anyhting specific?

Its not exactly a start given that he has about 40 of his BA brothers already done for about a few years now, its just that my skills have grown since then and I was thinking of changing up of scheme from here on out and not have to limit myself with the older scheme. 

I wasn't exactly keen on how far I took the color modulation and wanted to push it even further, to make him have a starker contrast between the darker and lighter parts of the model.

Of course! I knew the style looked familiar. I see what you mean about the contrast, though already an impressive miniature, he could be taken further with the contrasting. I'm excited to see how the next version looks!

Volkites, you say? What manner of chain-axe is that???

On a more serious note, where do you guys do project logs here? 

The best kind. :wink:

Some folks have their logs here in the AoD part of the forum, whilst others post in either the 'Works in Progress' or 'Hall of Honour' sections. It'd be grand to get a look at your guys and any background you've made for them.

@m0nolith: That was a damn nice model, I understand your want/need to do better but it still hurts that you stripped such a amazing model.

Random question Fraters, on Legion Terminator Squads are their combi-bolters worth replacing for combi-weapons?

I'm tempted to run combi-volkites with the last FAQ making them unlimited use, especially on my SoH Tartaros squad with the +1bs when in 15" that makes them hit on 2s and wound on 2s which would be quite nasty. Though I think, for the rule of cool, that combi-volkites on my planned Terran-Ultra Cataphractii would be quite cool.