30k Hobby Chat

Depends on where you want to go with your paintjob. I think he looks cool already as is and you can put him on the table and be proud.

The pose is very EC. Like hes saying 'come at me im a sword master'. Which fits.

Nitpicking:

- Adding weathering by sponging would be easy if thats your thing. I do like the clean look on EC though.

-You could add some highlights to the gold, even edge highlights would help make it pop.

- As was said decals are a great option to add easy details to your models

- the white could use some shading if you wanted to do that

- panel lining could be good also, again on the whites theyd propably 'pop'

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

@LameBeard Thank you very much! After a few other comments I've come to realise that most of my problem is with the base just being a bright white disk, it leaves everything looking unfinished.

@Hfran Morkai Thanks! I'm really very happy with the build, for that reason!

@Marshal Vespasian Thanks for your thoughts! I'm very happy with the pose. I would normally go for a more weathered approach, but I do like clean Emperor's Children. How would you recommend highighting the gold, I have GW's Auric Gold, but that's just so thin and doesn't seem to do anything, perhaps silver would be more appropiate? Lining the shoulder pad recesses would help the white, would you go for something dark like black/brown, or more of a mid-grey?

Really depends on the look you want. I like to panel line/weather my whites with browns or something like starship filth, which also makes it dirty.

In your case I think a blue shade could work pretty well. I like shading white with blue grey or blue.

For the metal jeah silver propably. Or mix the silver with your gold to lighten it up. Sponging highlights on metals can also look really cool. But again gives a more chippe appearance.

Wow, mixing the silver and gold... Such a simple idea, but one that really hadn't ocurred to me. I think blue shading could work quite well, I wanted to add a blue tone to the blades, but I'm not sure it came out too well. I might revisit the blades and then they can tie into the shading too.

Moonstone alchemy is another great bright gold finishing highlight.

I have that, but not used it yet, kind of though it might work better with copper.

I have seen Lil Legend use citrine alchemy, when he did his Lion El'Jonson tutorials

Making a couple more veterans.

First up, Blood Angels sergeant in mk iii. Is it me, or are the resin torsos a tiny bit smaller? Do you think I should swap back to plastic or stick? Just blu-tacked for now.

med_gallery_93054_15563_320244.jpg

Next, Dark Angel in mk iv/vi mash-up. I really feel he should have something between the legs to balance it out; I have some parchment from an old tactical squad, but it seems a bit square and stiff. I have the Anvil Industry leather straps, which have a nice little bit of movement, but seem a bit 'classical', a bit ultramariney for my Dark Angel, so not sure what to do there.

med_gallery_93054_15563_107696.jpg

With regards to the first veteran, I had the same issue with my Wolves.

I put a small blob of putty in the torso where te waist meets to lift them a mm or 2, and used ammo pouches etc to mask the wasp-ish waist they ended up with

For the second marine, why not a littl rope or chain from his waist with a small DA icon or little censer, rather than  a loin cloth or something bulky. Putting in parchment or the leather straps might make him look too busy

Great Ultramarine.

Love the nitty gritty look.

Is there a Knight tactica thread?

I haven't found one.

Agreed, I definitely like how the blue of the plate came out! Faces are exactly why I try to have helmets on everybody but characters, and even characters if possible. Squad sergeants helmetless? Not in my legion!

As for Knights tactica, I think it boils down to "Smile while you fail 90% of your invulns and your opponent always tolls the additional hull points" result. But in all seriousness, I only have experience with knights in 5th and 8-9th, so Im eager to read/see how they operate/do in 30k/7th too.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Cheers @Gorgoff even the pretty boys from Ultramar couldn't avoid getting battered and worn in the heresy. 

I get you @Dark Legionnare faces can be a challenge and I don't see an astartes going without one in a warzone. That said, I wanted to practice some new colours and it had a great expression, I suspect this chap might have had his helmet blown off at some point in the fighting too! I'm happy with the blue too, it's Vallejo ultramarine, with washes of black and blue on top, stippled fairly heavily with browns to add texture and grime.

Cheers @Gorgoff even the pretty boys from Ultramar couldn't avoid getting battered and worn in the heresy. 

I get you @Dark Legionnare faces can be a challenge and I don't see an astartes going without one in a warzone. That said, I wanted to practice some new colours and it had a great expression, I suspect this chap might have had his helmet blown off at some point in the fighting too! I'm happy with the blue too, it's Vallejo ultramarine, with washes of black and blue on top, stippled fairly heavily with browns to add texture and grime.

One my top five rules with models is, has, and always will be: "Any excuse will do to not paint flesh, especially eyes." :biggrin.:

Been away on holiday for three weeks, back home now and I missed painting like crazy. Getting back into the swing of things with a Land Raider for the first. 

k0j6Piq.jpg

Soon to be sealed, pigment powders to follow and then the powders to be set. What is everyone else working on? 

Getting back into the swing of things with a Land Raider for the first. 

Superb Land Raider. I really like the use of red and the chequer-board down the side of the heavy bolter housing.

What is everyone else working on? 

Um, for me, a solitary First Legion veteran.  Seems a bit of an anticlimax.

Edited by LameBeard

Been away on holiday for three weeks, back home now and I missed painting like crazy. Getting back into the swing of things with a Land Raider for the first. k0j6Piq.jpg

Soon to be sealed, pigment powders to follow and then the powders to be set. What is everyone else working on?

Oh man.... That is so good. Those blacks and reds... The two colors I've always loved the most and smashed my head against a wall trying to master, the latter especially. They're both so.... muted, (not in a negative sense) but like, perfectly so... Like real paint on an armored vehicle, not the way you can always sorta tell most paintjobs are on a tiny model, my own included. Absolutely top notch, man, really. That's a very triumphant return to painting!

As for me, the same Luna Wolves rabbit hole is sill chugging along.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

And now with pictures! My current WIP. On the left, Dark Angel veteran or sergeant. On the right Blood Angel recon squad. I am using the idea in the Red Book that recon squads are not just scouts, but also raiders and pickets. I see this chap as a member of a squad who will act as a welcoming party to any boarding actions - a kind of rapid response force who get to the breach first, and greet their visitors with a shotgun in the face.

gallery_93054_15563_27925.jpeg

I am trying to finish squads and finish projects whcih I bought bits for, because the bits boxes are getting silly - I can't even find the stuff I know I have. Annoyingly I'm running out of the bits you don't tend to think about though - grenades, pouches, pistols in holsters ... I might have to go back to the bits store, or just buy a whole new squad anyway!

Been taking a lot of time working on my Heresy force for my Dark Angels, mostly magnetization for magnet cases. So far I've gotten nearly all of my Power Armoured marines, as well as my regular Cataphractii terminators and the Lion all magnetized.

I am using the idea in the Red Book that recon squads are not just scouts, but also raiders and pickets. I see this chap as a member of a squad who will act as a welcoming party to any boarding actions - a kind of rapid response force who get to the breach first, and greet their visitors with a shotgun in the face.

Stealing this! How'd you do the left arm?

I am using the idea in the Red Book that recon squads are not just scouts, but also raiders and pickets. I see this chap as a member of a squad who will act as a welcoming party to any boarding actions - a kind of rapid response force who get to the breach first, and greet their visitors with a shotgun in the face.

Stealing this! How'd you do the left arm?

I bought the shotgun and pair of arms from the bits shop, they are all from the deathwatch sprue. However I’m not totally convinced they gave me the correct pair, and the torso might not be quite so wide, so there was a lot of fiddling and agonising before just going for it. Tiny bit of green stuff at the wrist - I’ll send a different angle when on the desktop. The trickiest bit was replacing the inquisition “I” with a blood drop!