30k Hobby Chat

And now with pictures! My current WIP. On the left, Dark Angel veteran or sergeant. On the right Blood Angel recon squad. I am using the idea in the Red Book that recon squads are not just scouts, but also raiders and pickets. I see this chap as a member of a squad who will act as a welcoming party to any boarding actions - a kind of rapid response force who get to the breach first, and greet their visitors with a shotgun in the face.

gallery_93054_15563_27925.jpeg

I am trying to finish squads and finish projects whcih I bought bits for, because the bits boxes are getting silly - I can't even find the stuff I know I have. Annoyingly I'm running out of the bits you don't tend to think about though - grenades, pouches, pistols in holsters ... I might have to go back to the bits store, or just buy a whole new squad anyway!

I hear you about the bitz. I've run out of ammo pouches, and ugh. The need to make marines look like, well, marines is intense. They're soldiers after all!

I am using the idea in the Red Book that recon squads are not just scouts, but also raiders and pickets. I see this chap as a member of a squad who will act as a welcoming party to any boarding actions - a kind of rapid response force who get to the breach first, and greet their visitors with a shotgun in the face.

Stealing this! How'd you do the left arm?
I bought the shotgun and pair of arms from the bits shop, they are all from the deathwatch sprue. However Iā€™m not totally convinced they gave me the correct pair, and the torso might not be quite so wide, so there was a lot of fiddling and agonising before just going for it. Tiny bit of green stuff at the wrist - Iā€™ll send a different angle when on the desktop. The trickiest bit was replacing the inquisition ā€œIā€ with a blood drop!

Stealing this! How'd you do the left arm?

Any use?

Oh.... Durrr me :lol: I didn't notice the Deathwatch left arm, I thought you managed to graft the right arm and shotgun onto a Mark III arm :lol:

Ā 

Off to a great start, nice work. :tu:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My son looked at the recon marine and said, ā€œso he can shoot five times, and then thatā€™s it?ā€ Not helping!

Ā 

Ā 

:D

Ā 

Technically speaking as games are 5-6 rounds and he can only fire once per turn I think he's got it covered. :)

Ā 

Ā 

I am trying to finish squads and finish projects whcih I bought bits for, because the bits boxes are getting silly - I can't even find the stuff I know I have. Annoyingly I'm running out of the bits you don't tend to think about though - grenades, pouches, pistols in holsters ... I might have to go back to the bits store, or just buy a whole new squad anyway!

I hear you about the bitz. I've run out of ammo pouches, and ugh. The need to make marines look like, well, marines is intense. They're soldiers after all!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I remember wanting to ensure my standard Tacticals were WYSIWYG for tournaments, and having all the pouches and sheathed swords out to work through systematically affixing them... and then feeling the need to ensure they were all appropriately painted... Ā The overall effect is definitely worth it, but the fear of losing the tiny grenades and then not having enough to complete them all was profound :laugh.:.

Ā 

The shotgun is brilliant LameBeard - love the ammo on top. Those sorts of characterful models (even if they are the proverbial 'rank and file'!) goes a long way to making a force look unique.

Bio-stripped Russ & Hvarl.

Been a long time follower of Lil Legend on Patreon.

Ā 

He is doing a masterclass on Russ & Magnus, so decided to restart my models and follow his class.

Once this is done the Lion will be next

Ā 

This is just the start using the airbrush. Way brighter than I am used to but gonna trust in the process.

Ā 

His patreon is well worth signing up for.

Ā 

Also made up way too much paint so hit some leviathans and deimos predators

Ā 

UjycdvU.jpg

upLL6q9.jpg

ekaBSBD.jpg

ij5LGXH.jpg

nTnWvwH.jpg

6gC2V1j.jpg

Ā 

kOHkMpa.jpg

fSFdv8v.jpg

nl4L1Uq.jpg

jvFwayU.jpg

e6GH73f.jpg

LopeEyI.jpg

Ā 

yilmNFT.jpg

izuZxSp.jpg

IIsZFge.jpg

W377k5c.jpg

Terminators. Heavy infantry. A supporting element of the Night Lords 42nd armored, these were men who were used to being considered secondary. Used to flush out entrenched enemies that the 42nds' treads could not reach, or to ensure the safety of the tanks themselves. This afforded an irregular dealing of glory if glory were a currency. At times they would reap it in, yet quite as easily be deprived. When such things had mattered to the 42nd, and by extension, the Eighth Legion. As the Crusade ground on and the Imperiums' armies rediscovered new and old technologies, new divisions became formulated amongst the Emperors' Legions.

Destroyer companies, utilizing radiation and chemical weaponry that most mortal contingents would shy from - emerged. Though even the constitution of the astartes is not full proof against such toxins, super-human though it might be. This expectancy brought in only the most calloused, arrogant, or apathetic minds, married and at ease with their accelerated mortis chime.

Ā 

Fourth Claw, composed initially of brothers armed in the traditional Cataphractii pattern plate volunteered to don the experimental plate and weaponry. Wearing prototype plate that was beginning to be known as ā€œIndomitusā€ pattern, they fell into the role of Heavy-destroyers, a flaming fist to crack a nut. Damaging itself in the line of duty, though succeeding terminally. The dour warriors who were and would become Fourth Claw stained both their minds and armor black, and though it isn't clear if it was self-dubbed or not, they became the Ebon Souls.UBlIj42.jpg?1

Finished my first Night Lord in... months! Let me know what you lot think of him, there's a few more pictures in my thread too, or on my instagram! :)

Ā 

Lovely painting. Characterful details.Ā 

Thank you!

Mhdf32C.jpg

Finished up the Sicaran. There's a couple more pictures in my thread, let me know what you all think of it. Some of the decals aren't as... smooth as I'd hoped, not sure what I did different from the usual that the 'film' is still showing (namely the numeral on the turret, and some of the monoceros heads), sticking to the tried and true Microsol/Microset. Ah, well. This puts my total amount of armor up to 13 for the 42nd/my army.Ā 

Mhdf32C.jpg

Ā 

Finished up the Sicaran. There's a couple more pictures in my thread, let me know what you all think of it. Some of the decals aren't as... smooth as I'd hoped, not sure what I did different from the usual that the 'film' is still showing (namely the numeral on the turret, and some of the monoceros heads), sticking to the tried and true Microsol/Microset. Ah, well. This puts my total amount of armor up to 13 for the 42nd/my army.Ā 

:cussing amazing.

I have an odd request for you guys- how are you all painting the HH style flamers and melta guns? (they are already assembled completely + coated) I am looking at my 6 man tac support squads and am having nothing but a mental blank on how to approach doing that. Pics appreciated.Ā 

I have an odd request for you guys- how are you all painting the HH style flamers and melta guns? (they are already assembled completely + coated) I am looking at my 6 man tac support squads and am having nothing but a mental blank on how to approach doing that. Pics appreciated.Ā 

Ā 

I kept mine simple/boring. I probably should have been more creative but I'm ok with it.

yVlYXiO.jpg

Iā€™m with you on sticking to boring metal. Adding yellow or red can make it look like second edition. Even my yellow canister clashes badly with the gold/bronze on my World Eaters. Iā€™ll post pics when I can.

Ā 

I've kept all of mine pretty basic.Ā 

Ā 

No normal flamers, but they'd be painted to match the heavy Variant.Ā 

Ā 

SZ0U1Ab.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

The same with my meltas across the Legions.

Ā 

YlF493y.jpg?1

I have an odd request for you guys- how are you all painting the HH style flamers and melta guns? (they are already assembled completely + coated) I am looking at my 6 man tac support squads and am having nothing but a mental blank on how to approach doing that. Pics appreciated.

I've always felt a "minimal, with enough detail to stand out, but not be outlandish" approach is the best method for any of the special/heavy weapons other than plasma. (Plasma not that big a deal in modern 40k, but it's a BIG deal in 30k, so feel like it being "broadcast loud" is the way to do it). Oh, and "heat" effects on the barrels/nozzles/whatever you want to call 'em.

Flamer example:

gallery_54361_16988_158109.jpg

Meltagun example:

gallery_54361_16988_285316.jpg

Edited by Dark Legionnare