30k Hobby Chat

That's a solid start with the Blood Angel, the lenses and chipping in particular. What were you unhappy with, anyhting specific?

Its not exactly a start given that he has about 40 of his BA brothers already done for about a few years now, its just that my skills have grown since then and I was thinking of changing up of scheme from here on out and not have to limit myself with the older scheme. 

I wasn't exactly keen on how far I took the color modulation and wanted to push it even further, to make him have a starker contrast between the darker and lighter parts of the model.

Of course! I knew the style looked familiar. I see what you mean about the contrast, though already an impressive miniature, he could be taken further with the contrasting. I'm excited to see how the next version looks!

Volkites, you say? What manner of chain-axe is that???

On a more serious note, where do you guys do project logs here? 

The best kind. :wink:

Some folks have their logs here in the AoD part of the forum, whilst others post in either the 'Works in Progress' or 'Hall of Honour' sections. It'd be grand to get a look at your guys and any background you've made for them.

Thanks, Pearson, I'll do that! 

@OP great idea for a thread :biggrin.:

Recently I spent some time trying to figure out a new colour scheme for my Blood Angels so I tried this one out.

I actually wasn't super happy with it so I went ahead and stripped the model back to bare plastic.

I plan on giving it another shot next week.

You stripped THAT? Why? It looks great!

I prefer heavily weathered marines (personal taste), but that is super smooth! Creamy transitions. 

Edit: I just read your explanation but...stripping? Here's a tip from me: take that same mini and apply a dark enamel wash from AK or Mig with your airbrush in the areas you want darkened. Instant contrast, no streaking or flood marks.  

That's really not going to achieve the look that I'm going for. 

What I'm going to do is one end of the spectrum I'm going to push for a brighter red/orange while on the other end of the spectrum I'm going to use a violet red instead of a violet red/crimson mix I used here. The idea is to create a larger spectrum of colours on the colour wheel while at the same time keeping it withing related colours.

Think of a piece of pie from from a colour wheel. I have to fatten up my marine with a bigger piece of pie :D 

Random question Fraters, on Legion Terminator Squads are their combi-bolters worth replacing for combi-weapons?

I'm tempted to run combi-volkites with the last FAQ making them unlimited use, especially on my SoH Tartaros squad with the +1bs when in 15" that makes them hit on 2s and wound on 2s which would be quite nasty. Though I think, for the rule of cool, that combi-volkites on my planned Terran-Ultra Cataphractii would be quite cool.

So if I understand correctly it’s the same points to upgrade to a combi-weapon as it is to a volkite charger, but since the combi-volkite isn’t one-shot any more then it’s just plain better for no extra points? Usually I would shy away from this, seems like the FAQ overcompensated. But in this instance, since you’d either have to convert combi-volkites or pay a fortune for multiple copies of the hard-to-get Praetor, I say if you can do it, you deserve it! Edited by LameBeard

You can get a set of Combivolkites or -grenadelaunchers from Pop goes the monkey so not that expensive. But i dont think you will use that Volkitecharger more than once. I rather go with Combiplasma.

in 30k, because of the ruleset, you cant shoot both parts of a combi-weapon at the same time like you can in 8th edition 40k. Ergo, a Combi-Volkite being unlimited use AND the same cost as a bolter only really nets your terminators having a Bolter to shoot at 16"+ because at 15" youre swapping to the stronger Volkite Charger anyways not to mention its also an assault weapon.

If it was for a squad that was otherwise unable to take Volkites en masse but had access to Combis and youre not giving them Melta or Plasma for whatever reason, then, fair enough.

The other unlimited combi-use option is the Combi-Grenade launcher which gives you the option of shooting Small Blasts (useful in ZM if corridors are longer than flamer templates) or S6 AP4 which, while not as effective as a plasma or melta drop, is still something that you could at least shoot over the course of multiple turns.

Otherwise, rule of cool, I guess.

Thanks all, the general idea was that I would use Pop's 'totaly-not-combi-volkites-honest-games-workshop' and from 15.1" use the bolter part then at 15" and lower use the volkite part. The plan for them would be to hunt and kill power armoured targets with the basic 5 man squad having an axe on the sergeant, two lightning claws, a power fist and chainfist to dissuade anything big charging them.

As lamebeard pointed out, chargers and combi-volkites are the same points (which is why I like them on my characters and HQs) so if/when that gets changed if you wanted volkites why would you not have combi-volkites. Downside is that the points will add up in a squad, for a 5 man squad I could get another terminator and give him a claw or a fist for the points of 5 combi-volkites. So rule of cool aside, would it be worth taking them or just sticking with combi-bolters.

In other news, its finally cooler where I live so I can get back to painting. First up 3 test schemes for my Sons of Horus.

Recently I spent some time trying to figure out a new colour scheme for my Blood Angels so I tried this one out.

I actually wasn't super happy with it so I went ahead and stripped the model back to bare plastic.

I prefer heavily weathered marines (personal taste), but that is super smooth! Creamy transitions. 

Edit: I just read your explanation but...stripping? Here's a tip from me: take that same mini and apply a dark enamel wash from AK or Mig with your airbrush in the areas you want darkened. Instant contrast, no streaking or flood marks.  

What I'm going to do is one end of the spectrum I'm going to push for a brighter red/orange while on the other end of the spectrum I'm going to use a violet red instead of a violet red/crimson mix I used here. The idea is to create a larger spectrum of colours on the colour wheel while at the same time keeping it withing related colours.

Think of a piece of pie from from a colour wheel. I have to fatten up my marine with a bigger piece of pie :biggrin.:

Very interesting. Are you going to apply that technique to your entire force? 

Combi-Volkites are cool, I don't know if I'd be looking at giving Terminators them (barring my copy of the LE Praetor who will probably see the field as a Warmonger Counsel) as you'll be wanting to assault with them and probably go after hardish targets so Plasma and Melta are your friends. However rule of cool!

I'm currently toying with a Recon Company off the back of picking up some old metal Wolf Scouts but I'm really struggling to work out what to do with the Praetor. I'm thinking either Bike with Command Squad and Apothecary or Jump Pack and Assault Squad.

Then again I could go Grey Slayer pack in a Storm Eagle too (not too much of a worry about losing Warrior's Mettle either).

So.... I've an idea for names for a few vehicles, but unsure what to use them on. I do know they have to be bigger than a tank.

The names are:

1. Ultima Ratio Imperator (The Last Argument of the Emperor)
  2. Ruina Imperii (Downfall of the Empire/The Empire's Collapse)
  3. Attero Dominatus (I Destroy Tyrannies)

I was thinking of using LoW Tanks for those three. Possibly a Typhon, Falchion or Glaive? Anyone got a recommendation?

Edited by Gederas

Officially put paint to Raldoron today (stowaway to my lockdown painting challenge of Mephiston).

Not a huge deal compared to ye fraters’ lofty projects, but I’ve been procrastinating forever on him and almost paralyzed by Fear Of Screwing Up (FOSU?), considering he’s one of my favorite dudes in the setting and for a variety of reasons I can’t replace the model should things go awry.

I'd pick Attero Dominatus as a Mastadon personally. It makes me think of the Sabaton song of the same name: "6000 tanks in our ranks, using them as battering rams".

What better than a literal battering ram?

Think of a piece of pie from from a colour wheel. I have to fatten up my marine with a bigger piece of pie :biggrin.:

Very interesting. Are you going to apply that technique to your entire force? 

Yeah thinking about it, at least from here on out.

I'm contemplating stripping almost all my BA that I'v done up until now especially since that force has a lot of OOP stuff like FW BA Legion chest upgrades and some MKII marines, but repainting them would be a long drawn out process and I don't know if I have the energy to do it. In any case I dont have to decide now, I still have a good amount of unpainted stuff I still need to get to. If I'm happy with the new scheme, I'm going to hit up a Contemptor-Incaendius next :smile.:

Edited by m0nolith

I'd pick Attero Dominatus as a Mastadon personally. It makes me think of the Sabaton song of the same name: "6000 tanks in our ranks, using them as battering rams".

What better than a literal battering ram?

The Sabaton song is where I got the name from :lol: Same thing as Ruina Imperii.

But a Mastodon named that.... [insert Beast Wars Megatron "yeeees" here] That's brilliant

Still procrastinating over my cindicstor squadron, put decals on today before worl though.

Also started laying down colours on the wrecked tank on sigismunds base. Went for death guard in the end.

Also managed to zenithal him yesterday.

Me playong around with psi, inks and meng paints for his zenithal resulted in a hella wet model thats mainly light grey now though. So maybe ill habe to redo that.

So doing two things in parallel right bow depending on what I feel like.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

My Heavy Support Squad arms from a dubious source turned up today and looks like they may be legit.

Paid far too much for them but considering I'd already blown a load of cash on the shoulder mounted Multi-Meltas I went down the rabbit hole.

I'm thinking painting in sub-assemblies due to the way they obscure the face.

I'm currently toying with a Recon Company off the back of picking up some old metal Wolf Scouts but I'm really struggling to work out what to do with the Praetor. I'm thinking either Bike with Command Squad and Apothecary or Jump Pack and Assault Squad.

Then again I could go Grey Slayer pack in a Storm Eagle too (not too much of a worry about losing Warrior's Mettle either).

The recon list is tough. Having three scout squads at a premium is an expensive start. Losing the terminators as well makes it hard to get some of the punch you give up from the recons.

I go jetbikes and a delegatus. That way he's fairly survivable and can avoid combat, then take multiple squads to spread the threats.

That said, I do own 23 jetbikes, so it's not a cheap option!

Another random question me fellow Fraters: How does one make a unqiue kit-bash HQ? I'm looking at making a Delegatus/.Praetor for my SoH and Ultras and a Reaver Lord for my Blackshields, but with current circumstances I am stuck to using what I already have for parts. I've dug out some MkIII/IV/V squad sets and I've still got most of two boxes of Betral at Calth and two for Burning of Prospero to work with but I am unsure as to where to start. I was thinking of using the base terrain from the 40k ASM squad then mixing in some bits to represent what I want, though most involve a power axe and a combi-volkite (I love them, really, Olis was on to something with the Choom), but thats the more 'competative'/'sensible' choice.

Another random question me fellow Fraters: How does one make a unqiue kit-bash HQ? I'm looking at making a Delegatus/.Praetor for my SoH and Ultras and a Reaver Lord for my Blackshields, but with current circumstances I am stuck to using what I already have for parts. I've dug out some MkIII/IV/V squad sets and I've still got most of two boxes of Betral at Calth and two for Burning of Prospero to work with but I am unsure as to where to start. I was thinking of using the base terrain from the 40k ASM squad then mixing in some bits to represent what I want, though most involve a power axe and a combi-volkite (I love them, really, Olis was on to something with the Choom), but thats the more 'competative'/'sensible' choice.

Well if it’s unique you want, I’ve never seen a conversion of Greigor Fell-Handed, but with a head, backpack, shoulder pads and weapon swap maybe he could pass for a Son of Horus (who was once a Luna Wolf).

If less ambitious there is a thread on this forum of Calth conversions - my favourite is a leg swap on the chaplain (so standing not walking), replacing plasma pistol with pointing hand (maybe in the bits box?). Otherwise it’s tricky because he’s left-handed. Axe for crozius should be easy though.

Have just got hold of some new miniatures from Vanguard for my Epic World Eaters. A cohort of 80 along with their transports and a few sergeants in a amongst them, looking forward to getting them painted!

squad1.jpg

squad2.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/HuPEQ5I

Got in a commission for some Night Lords! Love the way they came out. Can't wait to use them!

Those look absolutely fantastic