30k Hobby Chat

Finally wrapped up ten Tacticals for my T-sons. I work at a snails pace these days, and I'm increasingly worried I won't be able to knock out enough figures for the event in October. I have friends who said they would loan me game pieces, but it still feels bad man. Anyway, here's the squad. 

MDAyqXV.jpg

It felt weird to be able to paint the eyeballs, only to immediately cover it up with an OSL effect.

5BDA0nx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at the previewed 40k Templars stuff for potential use in 30k, and I think with some part swaps and a bit of cutting the marshal could make a decent Champion Consul, and depending on their exact scale (I *think* they might be in scale with the leaked MkVI) I might see if I can nab 5 of the Primaris Scouts to use as a 5-strong melee recon squad, mainly for the look rather than game utility lol

ooNaT4jkY2FLVgzR.jpg

242211651_3060796977574254_1062516515998242207251_3060796967574255_8642223118834

I think it’d work! Probably size-wise similar to the recent Praetor releases, and it’s a model that could pass for a few Legions...

I’d like to see the result either way!

yeah I'd run em' with my Imperial Fist shattered legions element so I could keep the pauldrons and spin them as recon-armoured vets, maybe even give them MkIV arms/ helms

I think Primaris are ugly and rather unfitting for the 30k aesthetics and I hope that the MKVI marines are not nearly as huge as those models.

Regarding the BT I think the captains locks silly with the strange looking skeleton on the back which is mocking him. The "T-Shirt in trousers" style of the tabards isn't my cup of tea either and the hairstyle of those scouts is beyond ridiculous. I mean it is absolutely fitting for BT and their whole medival knight style, but it still looks as it looks.

Primaris look way to much like toys in my book. Too clean, too round (seriously. Most 40k players I know are grown ups and won't swallow their miniatures so make them sharper again :rolleyes: ) and too big.

I read the centurion rules myself recently. I don't like how it forces you into so much infantry. I like infantry, though not everyone has the patience to amass so many. I wouldn't play above 1500pts in that format, HH has good armoured units which make the game at higher points. I think centurion 1500pts would make for a good narrative campaign though. Especially with all the custom stuff, seems like the HH version of 40k's crusade format. 

I read the centurion rules myself recently. I don't like how it forces you into so much infantry. I like infantry, though not everyone has the patience to amass so many. I wouldn't play above 1500pts in that format, HH has good armoured units which make the game at higher points. I think centurion 1500pts would make for a good narrative campaign though. Especially with all the custom stuff, seems like the HH version of 40k's crusade format. 

To echo Gorgoff, it’s the point of them - but also to counteract how infantry and similar units are often just the ‘tax’ to run bigger things in games. You’ll see minimum strength enabling squads in those bigger points games because people will want to use all the great fun toys - and it just offers an alternative mode that also in my experience tends to be at the lower end of the points scale anyway. I like having some big units in my Death Guard lists (15 or 20 strong) as is, but if it gives a chance for the brother against brother narrative to blossom as opposed to brother against superheavy, I’m all for it :lol:. The idea of working something similar to the Crusade format is a great one!

I’d like to see - and assuming they don’t already exist - something similarly favourable for the less frequently taken units in the Heresy. Both Centurion and ZM do help this, but I’m wondering if there’s something else that could help scaffold choices for variety… just throwing that out there!

I'm not sure why but I have a massive desire for a Thunderhawk Transporter...

I suppose it appeals to the "realism" of battlefield logistics for me and I love the model.

Should definitely be able to carry two Sabres. :)

Edited by Hfran Morkai

I'm not sure why but I have a massive desire for a Thunderhawk Transporter...

I suppose it appeals to the "realism" of battlefield logistics for me and I love the model.

Should definitely be able to carry two Sabres. :)

Then use your special power and which for a rule update for them and a plastic Thunderhawk.

Trust me Gorgoff, I wish that power was mine, because plastic Kasrkin would be pretty high on that list (most likely for a 30K project).

I do love both the Gunship and the Transporter but I think the extra engines of the Transporter make sense and the lack of massive cannon improves the shape I think.

I'm even thinking about what infantry I'd put in the hold, a Forge Lord and Automata (probably with Power Fists to represent Servo-Arms, terrible as the option is) and a vet Squad of Machine Killers to represent a recovery or worst case scuttling team.