30k Hobby Chat

I don't like to follow my own post, but yesterday I built a Mastodon.

What a ballache. 

The thing with FW stuff is that person A may experience something different to person B, but I watched this video 

and he's not wrong. 

It just doesn't fit together.  it looks like it does, it feels like it should, but it actually doesn't. 

but like anything, you can make it fit, which is what I've done. 

I'm a very inexperienced FW builder and I managed to build a Mastodon. Lots of sawing, I left a few bits out, but I am a bear of little brain and I built this kit. I will be proud of this fact forever. 

ZzwPINL.jpg
4iWtmBK.jpg
FEIJfAN.jpg
BA0TBfJ.jpg

I'm fine with all the gaps, because I myself made it. It might sound silly, but I did. And once its painted, it will look like an adequately painted Mastodon that I have done all by myself from start to finish, and if I decide it's for a dark scheme then the gaps become less apparent. 

Edit - the photos are to show all the worst bits. there really is/are gaps everywhere and I don't believe that you could build this kit as intended because things genuinely don't fit.  i know the difference between making things fit and expecting things to fit, and in this kit, as I've experienced, things genuinely don't fit. 

Edited by Valkyrion

I have also gaps on my Mastodon but they are not as big as those. I remember the doors were a real pain to assemble them in a way that there won't be gap. There are also holes for magnets to hold them in place. Those magnets help a lot to get them closed properly.

Use greenstuff and/or plasticard for those gaps. You will hate yourself after you have painted it without covering them.

Great work Valkyrion - it looks like a true beast! 

I never mind aspects on any vehicle where joins aren't seamless - we're working with resin mainly, and it's never going to be perfect. Others have mentioned Liquid Green Stuff - and I'd echo this (with some rolled up 'pencils' of Green Stuff for any larger gaps). If you fill the gap and smooth appropriately, it then just looks like it has been industrially welded - which I think we can all agree definitely suits the aesthetic, and may well suit the Legion it'll belong to all the more!

In terms of my own hobby recently, I've picked up some second-hand Scorpiuses (Scorpii?) - which have been on my list for a good while. Looking forward to getting these into a new livery... even if it'll be a shame to go over the current paint job.

been converting up some boxnoughts for my Iron Hands from the blood angels versions I've had lying around - it's taken quite a bit of cutting and re-positioning but I'm pretty happy with how I've reposed them, they feel a lot more dynamic than what you can manage with the parts straight out of the box

IMG_20211206_141938422_HDR2.jpgIMG_20211206_142035428_HDR2.jpg

Dude im jealous. Only got 10 cataphractii for mine. Gotta build some huscarls and shooting termies at some point tho. Also tartaros

if i could take huscarls and nullificators as indomni i would add more :D i have thought of adding some "proto Grey knights" for some nullificators in catafractii armour.

i have a terminator problem. im now sat at 40 indomni termies for my late war fists.

I imagine the only problem is having to use a new Rite of War to fit them all in a list ;).

Pretty sure pride.of the legion will let me take 3 units of 10 termies, however yes I can't obviously use every single HQ in one go :D

i have a terminator problem. im now sat at 40 indomni termies for my late war fists.

I imagine the only problem is having to use a new Rite of War to fit them all in a list :wink:.

Pretty sure pride.of the legion will let me take 3 units of 10 termies, however yes I can't obviously use every single HQ in one go :biggrin.:

Oh absolutely, it’s just probably not one you use regularly! I think I’ve only seen a handful of instances of it being used in the wild…

Ill be interested to hold the rann model in my hands. He looks way busy and the axes look too large for my taste currently. Could be a thing of perspective though.

Yeah, I think he might need to be toned down a notch, but then, we've only seen one frontal image. Also, needs to put on his helmet, though bearded is still better than clean shaven.

I was thinking between BA and WS, but I figure more people that I know will end up doing IF/BA, and if we do SoT themed forces it'd be much more fun to have all three there. I might eventually get to BA later, but not committing to it unlike WS.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some liquid greenstuff and I'm going to attack the mastodon at the top of the page - I've never used LGS before, so any tips? Do I just thickly brush it on?

id avoid using a brush unless its a cheap one you dont mind binning it
I've found that cotton swabs (not cheap-cheap ones that come apart easy) are great for the task.

If smaller space, using one swab as a pallet, and another broken in half to use the middle of the other stick as the "applicator" is my other kludge way. Bonus points if you sand the stick break-point to be a wedge to apply in tiny cracks before smearing in.

Edited by Dark Legionnare