30k Hobby Chat

They look great IHF, how much of an issue was it putting the plastic plasma guns on there?

Thanks, it's was pretty easy actually - once you've cut away the hand/grip assembly, all you really need to do is remove the lower plasma flask behind the foregrip and shave off some of the tiny extraneous details on the side where the barrel sits in the mounting

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

That sounds pretty good, have you tried any other special weapons or just the plasma guns?

just plasma for the minute, I'm *hoping* for plastic outriders in the future so I'm holding off on more converted bikers given these are a fun little rugged shattered legion unit - I did experiment with using the spare muzzles from the plastic tigirus combi-weapon to convert the bolters on an attack bike however:

gallery_53779_13609_1024446.jpg

I share that sentiment on hoping for plastic outriders.

The cost of the FW set is eye watering, especially as they're not even full resin but use the Scout Bikers as a base.

I'd love a big squad with some characters and attack bike in the same vein but so much money.

I like your work though Iron Hands Fanatic!

I share that sentiment on hoping for plastic outriders.

The cost of the FW set is eye watering, especially as they're not even full resin but use the Scout Bikers as a base.

I'd love a big squad with some characters and attack bike in the same vein but so much money.

I like your work though Iron Hands Fanatic!

thanks, I kinda impulse bought the kits when I saw them cheap with the hachette partworks conquest mag stuff - also grabbed 2 sets of scouts I converted up because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to working with slightly worse for wear old kits lol

That sounds pretty good, have you tried any other special weapons or just the plasma guns?

just plasma for the minute, I'm *hoping* for plastic outriders in the future so I'm holding off on more converted bikers given these are a fun little rugged shattered legion unit - I did experiment with using the spare muzzles from the plastic tigirus combi-weapon to convert the bolters on an attack bike however:

Man that is some nice and simple conversion work there, if plastic outriders don't become a thing then I'm going to borrow your ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, been lurking for a while and just got my account approved. Wanted to share the last big thing I finished, still getting used to uploaded so hopefully this works

Sons of Horus Terminator Praetor

Edited by darkhorse0607

That feeling when you are bored an evening and try to see how far you can go with the current bitz-box without buying more...

...24 marines in and still have lik 20-30 bodies left...

gallery_61265_13297_85564.jpg

I needed more infantry anyway... :P

Hello everyone! Long time no see. I've been lurking mostly, but life hasn't been kind, eh? I was donated a Dynat body and thought;

"Wouldn't it be a shame to shave all those scales off...", so I proceeded to do just that.

Then I slapped on a printed jump pack and was going to call it that. However, I saw I had printed these talon legs from eons ago, and thought;

"Wouldn't he look like a right proper Raptor from 3rd ed if I gave him those?", so I proceeded to do just that.

Then I pondered for eight nights on how to arm him, and saw that I hadn't used the plastic 'pointy' lightning claw.  So then I thought;

"All claws should be paired!", and I proceeded to do just that...

UnkLOD8.jpg

@Skimask: Dude that is nuts and I love it.

@Petitioner's: I think magnets in the top of the doors might be the proper method?

Now... Question all!

Owner of my FLGS has a 3D printer and bought some STLs from Corvinus (Red Warden Miniatures) at my behest. So I'm planning out a Sons of Horus army to go with my Dark Angels (might as well since it feels fitting) and I want opinions.

My idea is a mid-late Heresy-era SoH force and was thinking of using the new Chaos Marines kits as the basis for it as the older models from FW are kind of.... Tiny. Especially with Maloghurst and the new Praetors. I had seen all of those in comparisons to the new Chaos Marines and they're the same scale. So my idea was using the new kits with the SoH pads and helmets I've got (along with Mark III and Mark IV) and Mark III and Mark IV backpacks and arms here and there to "bring them back" in terms of aesthetic.

The question then is this:

Would a Late-Heresy Sons of Horus force using the new Chaos Marine kits be a good idea with some modifications (de-gribbling the extraneous bits) or do I not even really need to care and just paint them like 30k-era SoH?

Edit: Something like this is what I was thinking, but also with the aforementioned 30k bit (backpack, shoulder pads and maybe arms). Also picture found on the Internet, not mine:

c4dQrSo.jpeg

Edited by Gederas

@Skimask: Dude that is nuts and I love it.

@Petitioner's: I think magnets in the top of the doors might be the proper method?

Now... Question all!

Owner of my FLGS has a 3D printer and bought some STLs from Corvinus (Red Warden Miniatures) at my behest. So I'm planning out a Sons of Horus army to go with my Dark Angels (might as well since it feels fitting) and I want opinions.

My idea is a mid-late Heresy-era SoH force and was thinking of using the new Chaos Marines kits as the basis for it as the older models from FW are kind of.... Tiny. Especially with Maloghurst and the new Praetors. I had seen all of those in comparisons to the new Chaos Marines and they're the same scale. So my idea was using the new kits with the SoH pads and helmets I've got (along with Mark III and Mark IV) and Mark III and Mark IV backpacks and arms here and there to "bring them back" in terms of aesthetic.

The question then is this:

Would a Late-Heresy Sons of Horus force using the new Chaos Marine kits be a good idea with some modifications (de-gribbling the extraneous bits) or do I not even really need to care and just paint them like 30k-era SoH?

Edit: Something like this is what I was thinking, but also with the aforementioned 30k bit (backpack, shoulder pads and maybe arms). Also picture found on the Internet, not mine:

c4dQrSo.jpeg

Go full tilt for it. As stated, new Siege of Tera book has them corrupted on the cover art. Filigree and all.

@Gederas Go for it! I think some of the legion would have been looking similar to this quite a while before the Siege. Certain segments seem to dive right into the use of the occult and obviously those under dedicated Lodge members were even more enthusiastic.

Just a wee question, does anyone have any good solutions for keeping Spartan doors closed, but able to open? I've got two with falling open doors - I couldn't find 1mm cube magnets, so I could try 1mm round magnets, but is there anything else people have done?

Aside from blue/white tac to hold them shut, I think mine are robust because of the thickness of paint on either side. Not an ideal solution necessarily, but this may occur naturally and be a positive!

I've used the new CSM kit to make some reavers for my SoH army and I think they work very well. I removed some of the more 'chaosy' details, but even if you just swapped the heads and backpacks that would be a good start to making them fit in with the rest of the FW range.

[image snipped]

Oooh, that helps a lot! Thanks!

Also, nice use of the Corpse Grinder Cultist's cleavers for the Chainaxes, I never thought of that. What size brass rod is that?