30k Hobby Chat

The Calth and Prospero plastics have been sat in my Loft of Shame for years - finally going to try doing something with them for some Shadow Crusade era World Eaters. The new mark VI scale prompted me to try 3d printing some new, longer legs for my test models for my first tac squad - I plan to mix in some of the mark VI models later.

vOwWqKO.jpg

Intercessor is just for scale, and I'm going to break them down for partial sub-assembly painting by airbrush, hence the white tac! Trying to paint white any other way strikes me as a fast way to end up as nuts as Angron.

Iv'e been doing the exact same thing, alot of painstaking measurements based off zephon and rann and a crazy amount of test prints trying to get it all dead on. If it helps I found they are between 31-32mm from foot to top of the neck rim depending on posing, with the shoulder pads being about 6% larger as well wich threw me a bit, Still working on the smaller hands and heads as the new style of the mk 6 helmet I think has alot to do with how small they are. Looking forward to seeing some paint on your guys.

So with the sprue pictures of the Box set now out and abound, what are people feeling like making with the options presented?

I'm thinking off getting a second contemptor so I can have one gun and one melee but not sure on how to arm them (leaning towards autocannons on the gun as I have a resin SoH lascannon one I need to build but have no idea for melee one).

I'm also looking forward to pulling apart those two HQs as their parts seem spred out enough to make kitbashing them not too challenging.

So with the sprue pictures of the Box set now out and abound, what are people feeling like making with the options presented?

I'm thinking off getting a second contemptor so I can have one gun and one melee but not sure on how to arm them (leaning towards autocannons on the gun as I have a resin SoH lascannon one I need to build but have no idea for melee one).

I'm also looking forward to pulling apart those two HQs as their parts seem spred out enough to make kitbashing them not too challenging.

They seem interesting! Some sprues seem obviously designed to go with several kits.

I kinda want at least 3 dreads, probably 1 anti infantry, 1 anti tank, and one angry brawler dread.

They seem interesting! Some sprues seem obviously designed to go with several kits.

I kinda want at least 3 dreads, probably 1 anti infantry, 1 anti tank, and one angry brawler dread.

The question for the brawler dreads are what to put in the fists? Do you give it flamers to chomp up infantry or graviton and meltas to mess up vehicles?

Or...

4 dreads. A anti-tank and anti infantry version of both....

Imho you put Grav Guns in the dreads hands to either slow down what youre punching or to haywire AV/Dreads for slightly more reliable damage.

my problem with my plans is that i want 3 dreads and none of them come with the weapons i need. They are also no longer on FW. so im kinda screwed. as for the infantry 120 beakies in 10 poses is a lot of repetition. 

2 x recon squads

1 x 10 man missiles

1 x multi melta

1 x volkite support squad

2 x  5 man plasma support squd

plus many tactical squads and other heavy weapons squads

I can only assume they will come back possibly in a 'veteran' variant of the contemptor, similar to how we got the basic on and a relic one in resin, and the more techy weapons will come with that.

my problem with my plans is that i want 3 dreads and none of them come with the weapons i need. They are also no longer on FW. so im kinda screwed. as for the infantry 120 beakies in 10 poses is a lot of repetition.

2 x recon squads

1 x 10 man missiles

1 x multi melta

2 x 5 man plasma support squd

120 beakies sounds glorious!

2 x recon squads

1 x 10 man missiles

1 x multi melta

its the 30 cataphractii have no idea what to do with. 

2 x recon squads

1 x 10 man missiles

1 x multi melta

I mean, someone has to ride in those Spartans!

2 x recon squads

1 x 10 man missiles

1 x multi melta

There are no doubt lots of people who might have good uses for them :)

I have almost... almost been tempted to get a second starter box, but then I won't know what to do with an extra 30-40 beakies.. I just want the other bits, which I suspect will cost as much alone as the box.

But I agree, 120 sounds glorious, but where's the Volkite listed in there?

2 x recon squads

1 x 10 man missiles

1 x multi melta

There are no doubt lots of people who might have good uses for them :)

I have almost... almost been tempted to get a second starter box, but then I won't know what to do with an extra 30-40 beakies.. I just want the other bits, which I suspect will cost as much alone as the box.

But I agree, 120 sounds glorious, but where's the Volkite listed in there?

My plan is to get 3 of the starter sets and one of each of the upgrade sets.

I think I may have settled on doing the termies as ultramarines but separate from my Argonauts. I'm thinking of doing them as the 9th chapter 90th company the Nova marines. And doing them in the quartered blue and white.

I have just started on some 12th Legion Valkyrie transports and an Ork bomba, these are both going to be terrain pieces. The idea will be that there is a large airfield objective piece. I don't know if anyone remembers some of the old Command & Conquer computer games, depending on which side seized an area it would change visually - so with this if the Imperium is in charge of the objective you will have Valkyries parked up, human ground crew and AA emplacements , wrecked ork vehicles etc. If the Orks control it the bombas will be parked up etc. 

Aircraft_wip.jpg

I am going a bit WIP crazy at the moment! Must get some stuff actually finished :) 

Just looking at the Aeronautica Imperialis kit for the Orks, absolutely love them they are so characterful! 

20220524_0829173.jpg

Just got hold of some of these ground crew from Vanguard Miniatures. Am going to have these lined up with the aircraft as part of a diorama/terrain piece/objective. 

impfightcrew.jpg

orkflightcrew.jpg

Finally also got some more missile launcher troops, these are going to complete a Devastator Company (95 marines to paint in total - doh!)

devsWIP.jpg

That's a really nice deep red Bushman. 

I have been doing some work on some Titans for the Legio Metalica/Iron Skulls. Just got the basic colours down, next part is the striping which will be the potentially dangerous bit! 

warhoundsWIP.jpg

Also a bit of a trip down memory lane - got hold of a great condition copy of the Space Marine Epic 2nd edition boxset the other day. No miniatures but the rulebook looks like it has not had a page turned and the buildings are still unpunched! They actually still look pretty good so I may fulfill their destiny and build them. This was the first warhammer game I ever bought (probably about 30 years ago now!) and so will always have a special meaning for me. 

SMbox.jpg

Are Preators and other officers on 40mm bases in the new box; should I base my kitbashed preators on 40mm bases?

I really hope 40mm isn’t compulsory for characters in 2.0. My dudes won’t get down some of my Zone Mortalis corridors on that kind of base.