30k Hobby Chat

I gave my Dark Angel a weapon, and a little bit of other tidying up. I was going to make the bolter red, but I didn't want him to look like a 2nd edition Goff (not that there's anything wrong with a 2nd edition Goff, I had quite few myself), so I tried the stripe. I might try some more on my World Eaters.

med_gallery_93054_15563_45033.jpg

I know you'd given me some feedback on the base, but haven't got round to tackling that. I feel I'll just try something on the next one - I have more bits so might slowly assemble a squad. The weapon was actually a massive pain - either I used the wrong pair of arms, or I glued them badly, but nothing looked right. I finally managed to wedge this in after some shaving, so next time I'm leaving arms off until later. I feel if I'm going to take a dark angel any further I need to be able to do a much thinner (and hence lighter) edge highlight, and I can't see me mastering that any time soon.

I like the Valdor mini but I think I'd tone mine down a little (I saw a fantastic build someone did on Facebook and it tones it down but still recognisable as Valdor).

I've been using bitzbox to trawl through kits looking for weapons bits for odd and ends as I'd quite like to have a variety of power weapons but trying to keep majority GW for being able to use them in official stores.

Glad to see Empire kits still exist, grabbed a sheathed sword (power weapon) and handless greatsword (great frost blade) from the greatswords kit.

Considering the loose spear from the chaos maurader horseman as my spear for my Praetor (counts as Paragon blade) as there are sadly few GW spears fitting.

The new Primaris seem like great candidates for truescaling. I've wanted to truescale Intercessors into HH but never got around to it, seems like this might be a good opportunity to do so. :happy.: :happy.:

Aye, I've seen a fair few folk use them. Here's one I knocked up a while back, was planning to do some Night Lords, but never got the project off the ground:

med_gallery_71441_15087_35887.jpg

@LameBeard That Angel looks great, nice solution with the bolter stripe, it works well.

@m0nolith Always a tough decision, I recently parted with my old 40k Emperor's Children, I've lost interest in the system and wanted to focus purely on my Iron Hands. Looking forward to seeing your boys in gold.

Quit my Blood Angels :sad.:

Its a long story and I gave an explanation in my WIP thread, so I wont bore you folks here.

In any case, I sold all my unpainted BA FW stuff and I'm still looking for a buyer for my painted 30k BA....and I started Custodes :biggrin.:

Now if only FW reopen so I can get Valdor :tongue.:

Hope you get well compensated for them. Those are some of the best looking BA I think I have ever seen!

Quit my Blood Angels :(

Its a long story and I gave an explanation in my WIP thread, so I wont bore you folks here.

In any case, I sold all my unpainted BA FW stuff and I'm still looking for a buyer for my painted 30k BA....and I started Custodes :D

Now if only FW reopen so I can get Valdor :P

....dude :/

But hey, at least you’re used to painting gold! XD

BCC

Finally managed to sit at my desk and put together (barring left shoulder pads because I want FW ones) a ten man Plasma Support Squad.

Given how expensive they are they'll very likely never see ten strong but I'll be building all my squads to that point for options.

I don't know why I'm struggling so much. I used to not be able to keep my hands off sprues as I love assembling. But it seems more difficult these days to bring myself to do it and physically assemble them.

Determination wise I don't know why, I've got more time on my hands at the minute so that's no excuse. I think I need to invest in some lighting, maybe a magnifier and some "hands".

Done with the first captain. That means 4k (except for rhinos) are painted, done and dusted.

Next up I will start working on some Breachers. I had breacher shields printed by a friend, sadly those come whithout a hand attached to it, so I have to cut up and glue down a bunch of Mark III arms that normally hold guns. Not entirely sure how I'll do the typical shield infront and bolter shouldered pose with them. Maybe I'll just use a bunch of MK IV arms, those seem to 'reach around' the torso a lot more.

Gonna roll some dice today!

4k ready:

http://imgur.com/a/3XwJhhY

2 veteran tacticals with plasma i rhinos

1 vet tac squad with heavy bolters on foot

Melta support squad in a proteus with an apothecary

7 templar brethren with sigismund and an apothecary in a phobos lr

10 termies in a spartan woth 2 iliastus and 3 chainfists

Prognosis:

Both iliastusses will jam without wounding turn 1. plasma will overheat en masse and kill at least one guy. Sigismund will die duelling a squad sergeant without wounding.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

How many generations of bike kits have now been made, and they still haven't made one that is even remotely feasible as a machine :biggrin.:

"Hold on a moment there traitor, while I perform an 18-point turn in the road"

It does look cool though ! (although still think that original Vincent Black Shadow is the one to beat :wink: )

To be fair, the front wheel does look like it's articulated so it can be raised/lowered.

But yeah, the bikes are always very chonky

It's more the length of the wheelbase and the width of the tyres. There is no way that thing is going around corners, Astartes-enhanced strength or not! :biggrin.:

(Actually the same could always be said of Judge Dredd's bike, or at least some iterations of it, which was perhaps where the inspiration for the Marine vehicles originally came from). 

By pure luck my fb feed refreshed at the perfect time and I managed to score a pack of SW MkIII shoulder pads for half rrp (and posted for that too!). It'll be nice to fit all the MkIII shoulders to my 2500 point force. Just need some MkIV now.

Also my Heavy Support arms are definitely of dubious origins but it doesn't matter and I picked up another set of ten for much less as no one else bid on them so it evens out. Does mean I need to try and hunt down ten more Heavy Weapons, either Lascannons or Plasma Cannons but I'm in no rush.

Also why are HSS with Lascannons so expensive?

https://imgur.com/a/XDwcC0d

Some shots from fridays game. Tie vs dark mechanicum ordo reducutor. Hilariously bad rolls were had all around. Tanks popping off left and right.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Today I found the time to magnetize the weapons on my first super-heavy: the Falchion. Since it is not the most common model, I'll post some thoughts in addition to a picture of the beast.

The build itself was a bit of a challenge for someone who had never build anything bigger or more complex than an Anvillus drop pod, but overall it was a good experience and probably made me a better builder: You really want to dry fit everything. Watching leakycheese's youtube videos on the building process for a Fellblade was quite helpful and I'd recommend these to anyone who plans to build their first super-heavy. Even though i checked every part's positioning, I stilI had to redo a bit here and there once or twice… specifically making the two inside front wheel housing align and consequently the tracks position as parallel as possible was a pita. Warping was minimal, but the way the model is made, minimal warping on the large side skirts can screw the whole build badly, so you want to keep that in mind and check if the sit as parallel to each other as possible as well as perfectly orthogonally to the top bit. Have I mentioned checking everything all the time? Btw I used Pattex Ultra Gel for all resin parts and Tamiya extra thing cement for plastic o plastic connections. The video mentioned before reminded me that I have this glue and it works great when applied as suggested there. Overall I found the building process to be really rewarding and also a bit fun really.

The model was an originally packaged item with FW certificate I had found on ebay for surprisingly cheap, I assume the original buyer was disheartened for some reason :whistling:  I guess I had eyed the Glaive for its fantastic gun before, but in the end I just got the Falchion, because it was available. Comparing the two designs now, I indeed prefer the Falchion for its realism, because the Glaive's turret just seems too small for that gun. I hope that I will be able to build an Iron Hands force around it in 2021.

Some details on magnetization: The barrels are held in place by two 2x3 mm magnets each, positioned on their central axis as well as shifted toward the top. I had hoped one central would do ok, but I realized two 2x3 mm rather is the minimum to hold them safely in place. Sponson weapons use one magnet each and rotate horizontally freely. The finder sight is attached with a magnet, too, for ease of painting (some day…), as is the unmagnetized shield that I will glue in place after painting, same with the diesel (?) barrels – the only aspect of the tank's design I do not like much. The doors sadly are a bad fit and i either have to file them down or find some Iron Hands rhino doors for almost half the cost of the tank :rolleyes:

IMG-9698-falchion.jpg

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

That Falchion is glorious!

One day I'll own one of each chassis, doesn't make sense right now as I want to start with recon and orbital assault forces but as my forces grow the prettiest will be mine.

Even though I quit my 30k BA and started Custodes, a client of mine wanted to get a BA Leviathan done, so that’s what I’v been working on.

I’v been playing around with golds to give them more depth and volume. So far I’m happy with how they’re coming out.

gallery_86352_12089_210546.jpeg

Today I found the time to magnetize the weapons on my first super-heavy: the Falchion. Since it is not the most common model, I'll post some thoughts in addition to a picture of the beast.

The build itself was a bit of a challenge for someone who had never build anything bigger or more complex than an Anvillus drop pod, but overall it was a good experience and probably made me a better builder: You really want to dry fit everything. Watching leakycheese's youtube videos on the building process for a Fellblade was quite helpful and I'd recommend these to anyone who plans to build their first super-heavy. Even though i checked every part's positioning, I stilI had to redo a bit here and there once or twice… specifically making the two inside front wheel housing align and consequently the tracks position as parallel as possible was a pita. Warping was minimal, but the way the model is made, minimal warping on the large side skirts can screw the whole build badly, so you want to keep that in mind and check if the sit as parallel to each other as possible as well as perfectly orthogonally to the top bit. Have I mentioned checking everything all the time? Btw I used Pattex Ultra Gel for all resin parts and Tamiya extra thing cement for plastic o plastic connections. The video mentioned before reminded me that I have this glue and it works great when applied as suggested there. Overall I found the building process to be really rewarding and also a bit fun really.

The model was an originally packaged item with FW certificate I had found on ebay for surprisingly cheap, I assume the original buyer was disheartened for some reason :whistling:  I guess I had eyed the Glaive for its fantastic gun before, but in the end I just got the Falchion, because it was available. Comparing the two designs now, I indeed prefer the Falchion for its realism, because the Glaive's turret just seems too small for that gun. I hope that I will be able to build an Iron Hands force around it in 2021.

Some details on magnetization: The barrels are held in place by two 2x3 mm magnets each, positioned on their central axis as well as shifted toward the top. I had hoped one central would do ok, but I realized two 2x3 mm rather is the minimum to hold them safely in place. Sponson weapons use one magnet each and rotate horizontally freely. The finder sight is attached with a magnet, too, for ease of painting (some day…), as is the unmagnetized shield that I will glue in place after painting, same with the diesel (?) barrels – the only aspect of the tank's design I do not like much. The doors sadly are a bad fit and i either have to file them down or find some Iron Hands rhino doors for almost half the cost of the tank :rolleyes:

IMG-9698-falchion.jpg

I am extreamely jelous on how well your Falchion seems to fit together. Despite my best efforts I had to reach for the liquid green stuff. My doors I had to file down as well, if you are careful they are a perfect fit though, don't give up on the doors! If you can get the etched brass for IH's I recommend it.