Phobos Master - which company?

Pretty sure in either 2 or 3rd edition, or one of the fiction books around that time, also implied not all Captains were in the Inner Circle. I seem to vaguely recall a story somewhere in which a Veteran Sergeant was being consulted by an Interrogator Chaplain because he was inducted, but his company master was not. But I might be miss remembering Edited by UtariOnzo

Pretty sure in either 2 or 3rd edition, or one of the fiction books around that time, also implied not all Captains were in the Inner Circle. I seem to vaguely recall a story somewhere in which a Veteran Sergeant was being consulted by an Interrogator Chaplain because he was inducted, but his company master was not. But I might be miss remembering

That was a gav thorpe book and like everything gav thorpe writes it should be taken with a massive asterisk because of how often it conflicts with the codices. It's literally impossible for a Master to not be a member of the Deathwing, as going through the Deathwing is the means of promotion in the Dark Angels, with those who have Deathwing service possibly cycling into Company Veterans.

That was a gav thorpe book and like everything gav thorpe writes it should be taken with a massive asterisk because of how often it conflicts with the codices. 

To be fair, "Not every single Company Master has been in the Inner Circle" is in a Codex - the 8e one.

I'd speculate that the rare occasions when it's happened, have mostly been "battlefield promotions" - the current Company Master dies in battle, the senior Sergeant (or,  in M.42, one of the Lieutenants) takes over, their promotion is endorsed, but their trials for getting into the Deathwing, have been delayed for some reason.

Or the Librarian assigned to assess them, thinks they're not ready to handle it, yet, but also thinks it's better to give them time, than to put them through lethal trials and waste a valuable asset.

And it's worth noting that there's a stratagem for upgrading Masters (and Dreadnoughts, and Land Raiders) to be Deathwing & Inner Circle before the start of the battle - so,  if you want a power-armoured Master who is in the Inner Circle, you can have one.

I'm guessing that, as written, it works for any model with the Master keyword or the Dreadnought keyword - so you can have Contemptors in the Deathwing, or  you can have a Primaris Master in the Deathwing (to represent Primaris Masters who aren't Lazarus, like Xerophus).

Edited by Iron Lord