Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2,000 pt Blood Angels Successor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts
  • Faction: Tempestus Griffons
I run my own Successor Chapter using the different Legions to represent the fighting styles of my Companies, and to create lists with very different playstyles. This is a thought experiment to use some conversions for the command staff and Sanguinary Guard, who I can justify as Primaris.

Tempestus Griffons
2x Battalions + Vanguard Detachment

Battalion

HQ
- Captain with Jump Pack - Relic Blade - Master-Crafted Boltgun - Warlord - Artisan of War - Quake Bolts

- Captain in Phobos Armor - Camo Cloak - Master-Crafted Occulus Bolt Carbine

Elites
- Sanguinary Ancient - Encarmine Axe - Death Mask - Angelus Boltgun - Icon of Angel

Troops
- Intercessor Squad - 5-man - Bolt Rifles - Power Sword

2nd Battalion

HQ
- Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack

- Librarian with Jump Pack - Force Sword - Wings of Sanguinius - Unleash Rage - Relic: The Angel’s Wing

Elite
- Sanguinary Guard - 10-man - 10x Angelus boltgun - 10x Powerfist - 10x Death Mask

Troops

Vanguard

HQ
- Primaris Chaplain - Mantra of Strength - WL trait Heroic Bearing

Elite
- Death Company Intercessor Squad - 5-man - Auto Bolt Rifles - Thunderhammer

Dedicated Transport
- Impulsor - 2x Stormbolters - Shield Dome

1999(2000)
3CPs Battle Forged + 5CPs Battalion + 5CPs Battalion +1CP Vanguard - 3CPs 2x additional Relics - 1CP Relic of Baal - 1CP Hero of Baal = 9 CPs

Phobos Captain stays in my deployment zone with the Intercessors supports them and Snipes Characters, Chaplain and Death Company Intercessors run up in the Impulsors. Jump Pack Captain, Priest, Ancient, and Librarian drop with the Sanguinary Guard. Defense, Midfield, Offense with plenty of opportunity to overlap if needed.

Things I am not happy with: Captain with Jump Pack and Primaris Chaplain, I kinda want to make the Primaris Chaplain a Jump Pack Chaplain, give him Canticle of Hate deploy him turn 1, turn 2 use his Litany and use Upon Wings of Fire to get the extra 1” Charge, since the litany doesn’t stack. I would have to shuffle points around.

What do you think? Anything I missed? Improvements I can make? Thanks!!!

Edited by CCE1981, 11 April 2020 - 01:48 AM.

Sugarlessllama

Sugarlessllama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 482 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Consuls

If you are going to give the Libby a jump pack, then I wouldn't give him wings of sanguinius. Quickening would be better.  

• CCE1981 likes this

Work hard. Be kind.

redshadow

redshadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts
I like the chaplain, I’d have given him artisan of war tho to get a 4 damage crozius, send him with the death company,
I would find the points for a thunder hammer on the cpt for redundancy and give him the angels wing, you have a strong base and some neat tricks let me know how the death company in impulsors get on, it’s something I’ve been looking at for a while, expensive but fun

Edited by redshadow, 11 April 2020 - 04:47 AM.

• CCE1981 likes this

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts

If you are going to give the Libby a jump pack, then I wouldn't give him wings of sanguinius. Quickening would be better.  

The idea behind it is to deep strike the Librarian using the Jump Pack, then use Wings of Sanguinius to get into auto charge range and Assault with a Jump pack that denies Overwatch and follow up with everyone else.

I like the chaplain, I’d have given him artisan of war tho to get a 4 damage crozius, send him with the death company,
I would find the points for a thunder hammer on the cpt for redundancy and give him the angels wing, you have a strong base and some neat tricks let me know how the death company in impulsors get on, it’s something I’ve been looking at for a while, expensive but fun

Without the ability to use two Litanies I am doubtful he will be casting Mantra of Strength that many times, I think that re-rolling 12-15 ThunderHammer attacks would outweigh a 4 damage Crozius.  Heroic Bearing is also there to help with the low leadership of the Death Company.  If I go with a Jump Pack Chaplain I could throw down the Canticle of Hate or Litany of Hate somewhere on the table then for 1 CP use On Wings of Fire put him into place where he is needed to make a charge or support whoever.  

The Relic Blade on the Captain, my Warlord for the Battle, should be hitting at Str 7, with the +1 to wound and hit for 2-4 damage, for 31 pts cheaper.  Of course that can easily be a Power Fist to hit at Str 10 for the same damage.  I am mostly relying on 40 - 50 attacks from the Sanguinary Guard, (2 base, +1 charge, +1 Unleash Rage, +1 Assault Doctrine), striking at Str 10, 2-3 damage to kill things. 

Please I love having to justify my reasoning, and I am still looking at implementing some of these suggestions, I would love counter-counter arguments.

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,494 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

The FAQ bans moving again before the charge phase after deep striking. Its on page 11 in a section on 'reinforcements'.

https://www.warhamme...09/30ead283.pdf

• CCE1981 likes this

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts

Ahh Thanks I will have to move a couple of items around then.

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts
Alrighty made some changes:

Tempestus Griffons
3x Battalions

Battalion

HQ
- Captain with Jump Pack - Relic Blade - Master-Crafted Boltgun - Warlord: Gift of Foresight - Relic of Baal: Master-Crafted Relic Blade - Death Visions of Sanguinius

- Primaris Lieutenant- Master-Crafted Stalker Bolt Rifle

Elites
- Sanguinary Ancient - Encarmine Axe - Angelus Boltgun - Icon of Angel

Troops
- Intercessor Squad - 5-man - Stalker Bolt Rifles - Chainsword

- Intercessor Squad - 5-man - Bolt Rifles - Chainsword

2nd Battalion

HQ

- Librarian with Jump Pack - Force Sword - Quickening - Unleash Rage - Relic: The Angel’s Wing

Elite
- Sanguinary Guard - 10-man - 10x Angelus boltgun - 10x Powerfist - 10x Death Mask

Troops

3rd Battalion

HQ
- Primaris Chaplain - Mantra of Strength - Hero of the Chapter: Artisan of War

- Primaris Lieutenant - Power Sword

Troops
- Intercessor Squad - 5-man - Auto Bolt Rifles - Thunderhammer - Veteran Intercessor Squad

- Intercessor Squad - 5-man - Auto Bolt Rifles - Thunderhammer - Veteran Intercessor Squad

Dedicated Transport

2000(2000)
3CPs Battle Forged + 5CPs Battalion + 5CPs Battalion + 5CPs Battalion. - 3CPs 2x additional Relics - 1CP Relic of Baal - 1CP Hero of Baal - 1CP Stratagem - 3CPs Veteran Intercessor Squads = 9 CPs

It was a little sad to remove the Death Company Intercessors but the Veteran Intercessors will do just fine. Fluff wise my Chapter isn’t from the Blood Angels so the Death Company are a little hard to justify. Also making them Intercessors means they’re troops and therefore gain Objective Secured. This meant I wasn’t so concerned about their morale so the Chaplain gained Artisan of War on his Crozius. This moved the Captains trait to Gift of Goresight and thus Death Visions of Sanguinius. Not having the points for a Thunderhammer on him, gawd those things cost a ton on Characters, I gave him a Master-Crafted Relic Blade figuring 2-4 damage would be good enough. I added a couple of Stalker Bolt Rifles to make things more interesting and less copy paste since I now had 9x Intercessor Squads.

How does that look. Hopefully I don’t need the bigger CP Strats, a +1” re-rollable charge roll should hopefully be enough. If not, the the Librarian and Chaplain swap rolls.

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
I would recommend switching the relics around a bit - I would give the Ancient the Standard of Sacrifice and put the Icon on the Librarian, then put Angel’s Wing on the Captain. I also don’t see which is your warlord but make sure to keep him around the Sanguinary Guard for the rerolls.

As a point of lore, every Blood Angels successor has a Death Company just like they have Sanguinary Guard. No worries fluff wise including them!
  • CCE1981 likes this

Black_Cat_41

Black_Cat_41

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

I'd consider changing one battalion of Intercessors to Scouts in order to free up some points to add in some jump pack Death Company to accompany your Sanguinary Guard (as mentioned above) Though they are not Primaris marines, Scouts' concealed deployment can help you screen your approaching troops.

• CCE1981 likes this

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts
*{on phone can’t multiquote}*
@DistractionTacMarine
Unfortunately as Successors I can’t have both those Relics it’s one or the other, and I prefer the deny Overwatch one. As for Death Company, the Impulsor Intercessor Squads use to be Death Company Intercessors until I realized that Veteran Intercessors were loads better and effectively gave me 2 CPs instead of 1 CP. (5 CPs for Battalion - 3 CPs for 3x squads of Veterans = 2CPs).

@Black_Cat_41
Reducing one Battalion of Intercessors to Un-upgraded scouts gives me inly enough points to get one squad of un-upgraded Death Company, this really isn’t worth it just to get Death Company in. As a personal note: after fielding two wound Marines I can’t go back to single wound Marines, two wound marines have the survivability that “feels” right to me. Scout and Blood Claws are fine, I can say reduced armor or still developing as a justification, but full blown Marines to me should have that survivability.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I know I tend to “shoot suggestions down” but it forces me to look at things again, including other aspects of my list that are tangentially related. All of it really helps!

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts
Alrighty even more changes:

Tempestus Griffons
3x Battalions

Battalion

HQ
- Primaris Captain - Power Fist - Plasma Pistol - Hero of the Chapter: Artisan of War: Power Fist

- Primaris Lieutenant- Master-Crafted Stalker Bolt Rifle

Elites
- Sanguinary Ancient - Encarmine Axe - Angelus Boltgun

Troops

2nd Battalion

HQ

- Librarian with Jump Pack - Force Sword - Quickening - Unleash Rage - Relic: The Angel’s Wing

Elite

Troops

3rd Battalion

HQ
- Chaplain with Jump Pack - Warlord: Gift of Foresight - Litany: Canticle of Hate - Death Visions of Sanguinius - Armory of Baal: Icon of Angel

- Primaris Lieutenant - Power Sword

Troops

Dedicated Transport

2000(2000)
3CPs Battle Forged + 5CPs Battalion + 5CPs Battalion + 5CPs Battalion. - 3CPsadditional Relic - 1CP Relic of Baal - 1CP Hero of Baal - 1CP Stratagem - 3CPs Veteran Intercessor Squads = 9 CPs

I finally made the decision to place the Chaplain with jump pack in there. As the Warlord he effectively has the Litany of Hate when running with the Sanguinary Guard. On the turn I plan to dtop the Sanguinary Guard I can use the Canticle of Hate then spend 2 CPs to use On Wings of Fire to get him into position to add an inch to their charge range.

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
I like your list, but I think 9 CP pre-battle is way more than you need. I’m also not sure I see all of your relics? I see Angel’s Wing and Icon of the Angel - you should get Icon for free and then 1CP for the Angel’s Wing, but you’ve calculated 4 CP on relics.

I’m also personally not convinced that veteran intercessors are worth it over normal. Even in Impulsors, they tend to die pretty quickly.

My other thought is that the extra inch of charge distance is not worth 2CP for UWOF. I would drop the Chaplain in with your deepstrikers (or start the whole block on the board). You’ll have rerollable charges from the Icon and native +1 and can spend the 2CP on Descent of Angels to essentially guarantee that at least your Guard will make the charge. Otherwise you’re spending 4CP for a rerollable 3D6 charge with a +2... the charge is more or less guaranteed either way.

One final thing to consider is that Litanies of Hate is actually better than Heirs of Azkaellon due to the wording - full rerolls as opposed to failed. With full power fists, this can be an important consideration.

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 852 posts
Hmm, I must have missed pulling one of my Relics. I had a master-crafted item somewhere, but it’s really not needed in the revised list.

I think that the Impulsor Intercessors will die quickly regardless, they are there as a secondary threat after all. The extra attack really adds some extra hurt they can dish out.

I didn’t re-read the Heirs of Azkellon, your right about re-rolls vs re-roll missed. Litanies of Hate should be the go-to. Probably replace Canticle of Hate with Mantra of Hate for niche cases.

The problem with the Chaplain deep striking is he can’t use his Litany the turn he drops. As far as starting the block on the board, they would only be able to charge turn one if my opponent goes first and if he moves forward, it also limits where the can go. With all my small arms fire I should be able to clear chaff by the time they arrive, and allow them to arrive where they need to be while not losing anyone before they have a chance to do anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users