Last of a ragged house.....Contemptor Talon completed

gallery_87021_11487_57820.jpeg

File type: Pict capture

File location: [REDACTED]

File commentary: “The unknown legionary in the image above, wields a two handed heavy chainsword. A weapon not commonly used amongst the majority of legions, but one employed by the 19th Company whilst hunting the [REDACTED].

Cumbersome in close quarter fighting, but deadly when employed against a foe that is unguarded. Legionaries often pinned their opponents in place, providing the opportunity for the wielder to deliver a final “death blow”. This image was taken directly from the suit armour of his opponent, post Mortem. The ease in which the data was transferred to our systems suggests that the origin of the enemy is perhaps [REDACTED]....”

gallery_87021_11487_491451.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_537698.jpeg

Love the quotes and background you weave in here.

Also gotta say the posing of your marines is very inspirational for me

Thanks Marshal, I’m enjoying fleshing out the story in my head, having a narrative for these guys is helping to motivate the project somewhat. Glad that you like them so far!

Glad you managed to track down a transfer sheet. I am very interested to see how the scheme turns out, your Alpha Legion and Iron Hands armies are superb.

Agree with Vespasian, the posing is great - they look very dynamic.

Cheers dude, and thanks for the heads up regarding the decal sheet. Really looking forward to getting some paint on these guys, I’ve been experimenting with different blues.

nice posing! and also kudos for the direction of the narrative you are sketching out!

Thanks for the comment!

Keep the good stuff coming.

Cheers!

Really nice posing, looking forward to seeing these guys in colour!

Thanks Pearson, colour.....soon, soon!

There’s still a lot of stuff to post....

Cadmus

“These faithful few.....”

Pict Render, Endryd Haar, Personal quarters.

gallery_87021_11487_7499.jpeg

A few more pics of the shotgun and chain axe marauders:

gallery_87021_11487_1079215.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_349858.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_697576.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_495303.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_115729.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_821283.jpeg

Got to love heavy chainblades, liking the fluff of the group executions with squad members holding down the unfortunate victim.

Thanks Pearson, well someone has to finish the work that began on Terra....you can’t go wrong with a heavy chain sword, it’s one of the reasons I’m using them as blackshields!

Nice project you've got going on here!

Thanks for stopping by!

Hope you like the latest offering, just a few more members of the two marauder squads to post....

Cadmus

gallery_87021_11487_112366.jpeg

File type: pict capture

File location: Illias Mercer, personal log.

File commentary: “Obadiah Darnaius, an elusive character and leader of second tactical squad. There is an aura of malice that exudes from this warrior, and whilst there have been a handful of opportunities to speak with him, I find myself psychologically unable to do so.

Ship data repository mark this warrior as a “blackshield”, a term which I am unfamiliar with. The data suggests Obadiah joined the company early in the campaign. It is rumoured that the warrior used to belong to the Storm Walkers legion, the remanent of his detachment abandoned to die at the hands of [REDACTED] by their newly appointed Primarch.

It appears that this warrior owes our esteemed Lord Commander a “life debt”, although the files indicate he will be returned to his parent legion at the earliest opportunity. I suspect, given our current location, that will be a long time coming....”

gallery_87021_11487_33440.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_29840.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_163611.jpeg

Thanks for the likes and comments everyone! I think I’ve finally found the right blue.....

Cadmus

More superb work, the extra effort put into the modelling and posing is really great. Get that blue in the airbrush!

Ok!

gallery_87021_11487_23823.jpeg

This is the result of a lot of blue experimentation, would love to hear your thoughts. I’m aiming for something close to the betrayal artwork, rather than the traditional flat blue:

gallery_87021_11487_181781.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_398371.jpeg

Needs a little more weathering, but I think the tone works.

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

File type: text with embedded pict capture.

File location: personal log Endryd Haar

File commentary:

“When viewed through the lens of history, through the eye of the civilian, unaccustomed to ways of war. We will seem to them as savages, inhuman warriors without direction or control.

What they do not understand are the mechanisms of war that underpin the final action of slaughter. The complexity of logistical planning that leads to a final moment, when the dogs of war can be unleashed, and our inner nature fully realised.

In all of the myriad of calculations and decisions, one thing matters above all, communication......”

Endryd Haar, personal log entry.

gallery_87021_11487_487668.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_226000.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_488045.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_285861.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_155542.jpeg

How you like him!

Cadmus

gallery_87021_11487_993431.jpeg

File type: Text, embedded images.

File location: ship log, item 345.776.34

File content:

“For the urgent attention of Endryd Haar.

My esteemed praetor, I have analysed the data regarding the newly acquired “MKV” armour provided by the mechanicum emissary, as per your request. To deem this armour type “MKV” would be to credit innovation which is not present within its design.

The suit is essentially created from modified Mkiv plate, combining it with fragmentary elements of lesser known power armour STC technology. The result is a bastardised abomination in technology, both ingenious and at the same time artless.

The preliminary testing revealed a relative armour weakness, hence the prolific use of armour bonding studs. This has perhaps improved the structural integrity of the ceramite to direct mass reactive fire, but my calculations estimate a 1.275% drop in performance when compared with the current Mkiv model.

The exposure of exoskeletal fibre cabling on the exterior of the thigh and upper arm joints increase the risk of a disabling limb injury by 1.73%, which further increases to 2.1% in close quarters. These figures are of course, all estimates, based on anecdotal evidence and laboratory testing, these suits have not been adequately field tested.

There are however, a number of benefits inherent in the “design” which may serve our purpose. Firstly, I have successfully repurposed our “Sol-pattern Harrier” jump pack engines, to integrate with the power pack design. Something which has proved prohibitive using the newer technology found within the Mkiv power pack. This could potentially solve the apparent shortage of legionary jump packs, highlighted in my last report.

Secondly, the design allows for much simpler field repairs, with replacement parts that could be fashioned effectively from almost all other armour marks, save perhaps extreme regional variants. This is clearly advantageous given our current plans to pursue [REDACTED] into the outer reaches, where there will be little hope of armour resupply.

It is my opinion that these advantages outweigh the potential protective deficiencies of the armour.

And, off the record, it does have a certain brutal aesthetic, which I find most pleasing.”

Raern Angelus, Quarter master, 19th company XIIth legion.

gallery_87021_11487_624511.jpeg

Well, I hadn’t planned to use MkV but I couldn’t resist a few opportunistic BNIB eBay purchases. The issue with the kit is the lack of arm and leg options, so I used hot water to reverse the running pose so there’s at least three leg poses!

I quite like the aesthetic, and I like the idea that the 19th were given low priority for resupply of armour. So despite it being a late heresy armour Mark, hopefully the fluff makes it acceptable....

That blue is spot on, just like in the artwork. Signals officer is also looking good, managing to retain the savagery of the legion with the axe and chains, whilst also keeping the more restrained nature of the office.

Cheers Pearson, he’s just a nuncio vox for one of the marauder squads, but I like how he turned out!

I’m happy with the blue, thanks for the feedback. I tried so many flat blues but it just didn’t have the depth or visual interest of the artwork. Hopefully I can recreate it, I’m now batch painting 82 shoulder pads!!

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 1 month later...

gallery_87021_11487_194966.jpeg

Autopsy report:

Subject: Darius Carne

Ship designation: Remembrancer

Clinician: Primus Medicae Karnatern

Cause of death: fatal radiation exposure.

**for full report please see attached document**

For the attention of Endryd Haar.

My esteemed Lord commander, please see the attached autopsy report for Remembrancer Darius Carne, conducted as per ship regulation N5230 “in the event of unexpected death”.

I am certain that the cause of death was through excessive radiation exposure following his contact 24 hours prior with Veteran Destroyer sergeant Varnus. I understand that the remembrancer was given permission to accompany the assault force during our last engagement. Unfortunately Darius seemed unaware of the the battlefield role of squad Varnus, hence the excessive radiation exposure. Although anecdotal reports from other members of the remembrancer order (two of which have also perished under similar circumstances) suggest Darius was determined to interview and pict the destroyer squad in action.

It is with some relief that I can report the demise of these mortals was not in relation to some new pathogen. I have taken the liberty of enforcing a ban of all near physical contact with our destroyer cohorts during and after engagements. I have also reminded Sergeant Varnus of the correct decontamination protocol following use of radiation weaponry (I believe there has some been some laxity on his part of late).

On a positive note, the remembrancer did manage to take a number of high quality pict captures. I have loaded them to the ships data repository and attached them to this communication for your enjoyment.

Karnatern

gallery_87021_11487_148875.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_341413.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_236002.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Forgive my tardiness keeping this blog updated. Surprisingly it feels that I’ve done a lot of work on the world eaters recently. I’m almost finished batch painting the marauders and MkV assault squad. I’ve been working on Endryd Haar and a few vehicles.

I wanted this blog to be more about competed miniatures (built and then painted), rather than endless images of painting stages, hence my delay in posting.

I hope the latest offering keeps you going, until I complete the next batch!

Cadmus

~~##Incoming transmission##~~

Transfer code: 562-778-990-89670

File destination: Regency, Judiciary

......……..............................................

Sender authentication confirmed: Magos Logis Naraceles Huron, data encryption analyst.

Priority status: Xanthic.

File type: text, multiple embedded images.

My Lord Regent,

I trust that the data files we have so far transferred to both the Judicial departmento and your own offices have been useful in preparation of the forthcoming hearing regarding the aforementioned accused.

I am excited to report a breakthrough in the transfer of data from the XIIth legion battle barge “The Vecissitude”. I was able to locate the aberrant source code and overcome the compatibility issues by using a direct data transfer link, rather than the standard Noospheric transfer, but I will not bore you with the details.

We are now able to process pict capture in colour, rather than the grey scale imaging we have become accustomed to. Unfortunately, given the issues mentioned above, there will be a significant delay processing the images in colour. We will therefore continue to transfer images in initial grey scale and update them to full colour when these become available.

I appreciate that this will add very little to the accumulating evidence base. However, I find the colour images to be a stark reminder as to the company’s original allegiance, regardless of the colours they now wear so defiantly.

Please find attached the first decoded colour pict captures.

Yours indomitably,

Naraceles Huron

First tactical squad Balearicus:

gallery_87021_11487_568568.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_648623.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_294560.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_688006.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_176961.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_443928.jpeg

Second tactical squad Darnaius:

gallery_87021_11487_185331.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_61327.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_223167.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_488626.jpeg

Well....that took longer than expected! It’s been a steep learning curve working with white and also working with a new brand of paint (reaper) for the blue, but I’ve finally got the hang of it. However, I’ve realised batch painting is not for me!

I’m still wrestling with the idea of blood splatter, it seems synonymous with the imagery of the XIIth, but I think it’s easily overdone. For now I’m content to leave them in their current state, but I’m interested to hear your input about the necessity of gore!

Here’s a few more images of the marauder squads:

gallery_87021_11487_290922.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_252042.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_74358.jpeg

Hope you like them, C&C is most welcome!

Cadmus

~~##transmission ends##~~

That pose again. Wow. Also love the huge huge axe. Thats a thunderhammer with an axe head right?

Thanks Marshall, yes it’s a MKiii thunderhammer with an old assault squad axe head. I’m not keen of the haft/grip thickness of the current plastic power axes and the Mkiv resin ones seem too spindly. The thunder hammer seems perfect, the extra length lends quite a bit of character.

That pose is ace, full of menace. I like the converted axe too.

Thanks Pearson!

Cadmus

I am surprised by how clean they came out. I expectep the white to be more battleworn and dirty. Not a critique, just an observation.

I think some bloodsplatter is in order but dont overdo it. Maybe keep it to the blades and fists and dont dunk the whole guy in tamiya clear red

I am surprised by how clean they came out. I expectep the white to be more battleworn and dirty. Not a critique, just an observation.

I think some bloodsplatter is in order but dont overdo it. Maybe keep it to the blades and fists and dont dunk the whole guy in tamiya clear red

Thanks for the feedback Marshall, I think weathering is a matter of personal taste, mine is that of subtlety and IMHO most of the world eaters out there are overdone with weathering. The issue with white is that it quickly looks grey if you apply too much black based wash and chipping and cream if you use brown based pigments etc. I had to tone down my normal dark earth powders with ash grey to make the contrast around the greaves less stark.

I’m leaning towards not adding gore, I wanted to depict them before their fall from grace rather than at the point of not caring about their appearance etc.

My source for the weathering was this guy:

gallery_87021_11487_42063.jpeg

I’m fairly happy with how close these guys look to the source art.

Cadmus

Endryd Haar “the riven hound”. Praetor if the 19th assault company, XIIth legion, World Eaters. Master of the 61st predation fleet. Captain of “The Vicissitude”

gallery_87021_11487_25268.jpeg

“You are a tool. You have been badly used, Endryd, this I admit. You're a tool without equal, a living weapon akin to those that came later, yet subtly different, a neccessary evil."

Malcador the Sigilite, to Endryd Haar.

gallery_87021_11487_86402.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_71641.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_62638.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_106171.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_36279.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_29053.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_219949.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_31424.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_186064.jpeg