Last of a ragged house.....Contemptor Talon completed

I've always been an admirer or your painting with the Iron Hands and Alpha Legion, but you've really brought it up a notch with these guys. They match the reference art very well. As previously mentioned the poses are great throughout, Haar looks cracking too.

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_87021_11487_205908.jpeg

File type: text with embedded images.

File location: Illias Mercer, personal log. Originally retrieved from heat damaged pict captor memory coils. Some files recorded incomplete.

File commentary:

“Throughout all generations of recruits, apart from perhaps the gifted few, it seems there is a universal hatred of the subject of mathematics. It’s enactment an anathema to the adolescent inductee.

But I have at last found a practical application for its use.....”

Lacyrn Thule, artillery crew, “the Reckoning” Deimos Pattern Reaper heavy tank, designated infantry destroyer.

gallery_87021_11487_451484.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_140390.jpeg

They look great and that blue is excellent.

I am definitely a big fan of some blood splatter but you are right, it's very easy to go overboard. I've had some pretty satisfying results by applying with a toothbrush.

Thanks Corswain, I’ve never managed to get a subtle effect with blood splatter. I might practice a little and then take the plunge at some point in the future. White is however, a very unforgiving colour to work with!

I've always been an admirer or your painting with the Iron Hands and Alpha Legion, but you've really brought it up a notch with these guys. They match the reference art very well. As previously mentioned the poses are great throughout, Haar looks cracking too.

Thanks Pearson, painting is a constant learning process for me, it’s taken a while to learn white and blue techniques that I’m happy with. The next batch of marines will use AK enamel washes rather than my homemade oil wash. Always more to do!

Haar looks great!

I actually really like his hair

Concerning the weathering: I really like how your guys look! And I completely agree that a lot of armies (mine included) reach comic-like levels of weathering.

Thanks Marshall, I think heavy weathering can look great! I’m just not brave enough to take it too far!

Holy smokes, they are beautiful.

I think some very light blood spatter would enhance them, but it would need to be only the slightest hint applied.

Thanks Pheidias, they’ve been a real pleasure to paint, finally I get to do the glorious white and blue!

Stunning work on Haar, the army is coming together so well. It's been a great project to follow :)

Lots of inspiration for my own projects!

Thanks Varyn, looking forward to seeing some paint on your EC.

No giving away the identity of the vehicle in the above photos ;)

Absolutely beautiful, with Harr really dynamic!

Thanks mate, Haar needed to look like he’s just charged into the fray! I think he works!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Can anyone identify the vehicle in the above images?

Answers on a postcard......

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 2 weeks later...

File type: text with embedded images

File location: Endryd Haar, personal log.

gallery_87021_11487_1197529.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1356264.jpeg

“The Deimos Pattern Reaper Heavy Tank, I record it’s existence here for posterity as scarce few remain within our service. I refuse to use its common name, for the name of Lupercal will now forever be associated with heresy. Since Horus’ betrayal I have heard reports of forge worlds ceasing production and army regiments loyal to the Emperor sundering their own dwindling supplies of the heavy tank, superstitious fools.

I for one, will not cast aside this valuable resource. The Reaper Heavy Tank, once the main battle tank of the Legiones Cataegis, often found in their vanguard during the unification of Terra. Crewed by mortal men under the command of the legion you understand, for who would trust the control of such firepower to the enraged battle choler of a Thunder Warrior?

Such was their respect for its design, the [REDACTED] made it their priority to obtain the STC templates necessary for its construction, from the Forgeworld Deimos, as the traitors made their way out of the segmentum solar. Yet another reason why I suspect this venerable war machine will dwindle in it prevalence as war rages on.

That we will use this tool to hunt and destroy those who it once served in a forgotten age, is a wonderful but bitter irony.......

gallery_87021_11487_194925.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_578235.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_962610.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_284251.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_268903.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_74797.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_142651.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_699725.jpeg

Well chaps, what do you think of her? I wanted something a bit different to your standard legion LoW, that fitted the back story I’m developing. The omega is fairly potent in the field and it also gave me the opportunity to put in the legion crew.

I did the interior, but all the exterior body work to change the macharius into a Deimos pattern was done by my gaming buddy nefarious squirrel.

Check out his Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/nefarioussquirrel/?hl=en

C&C welcome!

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Didn’t cost much money....and my friend converted it for free :wink:

My group and I use the term moneytank to reference mostly the fact that it's details would cost a mint if someone were to source bits properly. IRL, you're looking at possibly 400 USD in the kits used to build the tank: OOP democles, Medusa (chassis) and whatever the plasma baneblade costs just for the weapon. It's impressive execution wise and on how expensive it may be to pull off.

It's not meant to be derogatory since anyone who can build a thing should be praised for the skill, money and time needed to pull that off. 

Didn’t cost much money....and my friend converted it for free :wink:

My group and I use the term moneytank to reference mostly the fact that it's details would cost a mint if someone were to source bits properly. IRL, you're looking at possibly 400 USD in the kits used to build the tank: OOP democles, Medusa (chassis) and whatever the plasma baneblade costs just for the weapon. It's impressive execution wise and on how expensive it may be to pull off.

It's not meant to be derogatory since anyone who can build a thing should be praised for the skill, money and time needed to pull that off.

That's a Warhound Plasma Blast Gun. Also, the Damocles isn't OOP and I think both versions available come with the dudes inside it?

In any case, I love the Plasma Macharius. Looks sweet.

Thanks chaps, here’s the parts list:

Macharius Omega (base model) OOP

Damocles command rhino interior.

Mkiv standing marine from a mastodon.

Mkiv destroyer helmets for the crew.

Hatch from Deimos rhino.

Engine block from Mkiib landraider (self cast)

Tracks from landraider proteus kit.

Phobos bolters x2, with Tigrus magazines

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 1 month later...

gallery_87021_11487_250792.jpeg

Name: “The reckoning”

Classification: Deimos pattern Reaper heavy tank, Omega configuration.

Vehicle type: tank, heavy.

Battlefield role: Designated infantry destroyer.

Assignment: XIIth legion, world eaters, 19th assault company, 61st predation fleet.

Responsible officer: Raern Angelus, Quarter master.

Pict capture repository:

gallery_87021_11487_777651.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_404266.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_94425.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_550056.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_151444.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_678223.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_393770.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_779633.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_316983.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1121799.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1206249.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_87962.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_585967.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_181192.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_697059.jpeg

Previous engagements: ##REDACTED##

Recent file activity:

^^classification updated^^ previous entry “Lupercal heavy tank”

*WARNING* whilst storage at low temperatures will prolong the life of this vehicles weaponry system, rapid cooling may increase stress tolerances - please refer to operation manual section 2344 paragraph 14.

*WARNING* due to thermal energy and atomic radiation emitted by this vehicle, it is recommend that operators utilise “destroyer” pattern power armour. This has also proven to improve astartes life expectancy by 3.5% in the event of a catastrophic failure of the weapons cooling system.

SUPER COOL!!

The macharius is one of my favourite tanks in the game and you've really done a brilliant job!

Cool conversion and a wonderful paint job!

Gederas suggested above that this was using the titan plasma blast gun (you've since confirmed it isnt), i'm hoping to convert a standard macharius to an omega as I doubt i'll ever get my hands on a real Omega. Woud you be able to confirm my hopes that the titan blastgun would fit on the chassis?

A smashing job, the colours look so good and the bright white seems to emphasise the bulk of the thing. The lenses are nicely done too. I know that it's obviously scorched and soot stained, but I feel like the end-on view of the barrels is a bit plain, though I'm not sure there's anything to be done. Similarly, the lower front hull section has a lot of blank space to play around with. I suppose the XIIth were never the type to cover things with freizes and murals though, particularly on such a hazardous vehicle.

Thanks for all the likes and kind words everyone, I’m really pleased with the end result, hope you’re all enjoying the little extracts I add with each completion!

SUPER COOL!!

The macharius is one of my favourite tanks in the game and you've really done a brilliant job!

Gederas suggested above that this was using the titan plasma blast gun (you've since confirmed it isnt), i'm hoping to convert a standard macharius to an omega as I doubt i'll ever get my hands on a real Omega. Woud you be able to confirm my hopes that the titan blastgun would fit on the chassis?

The macharius chassis is a lot smaller than I thought, my Sicarans are only slightly smaller in size. Unfortunately I don’t own a warhound plasma blaster, so I’m afraid I can’t tell you whether it would look correct on a standard macharius. How would you model it as being open topped?

A smashing job, the colours look so good and the bright white seems to emphasise the bulk of the thing. The lenses are nicely done too. I know that it's obviously scorched and soot stained, but I feel like the end-on view of the barrels is a bit plain, though I'm not sure there's anything to be done. Similarly, the lower front hull section has a lot of blank space to play around with. I suppose the XIIth were never the type to cover things with freizes and murals though, particularly on such a hazardous vehicle.

Thanks Pearson, I would agree, the front view is quite plain. In some ways I quite like that, most of the betrayal artwork shows the XIIth with minimal squad markings, some infantry members don’t even have any legion identifiers on their person. It’s past the point of being able to add decals, and the FW sheet is also fairly limiting.

I do plan on picking up some mig gun metal weathering powder, to add more metallic shine to the barrels. That should pick out detail, there is graphite already applied, but it’s a subtle effect, only seen at certain angles in the light.

Well, theres a few units on the work bench at the moment, stay tuned....

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Thanks for all the likes and kind words everyone, I’m really pleased with the end result, hope you’re all enjoying the little extracts I add with each completion!

SUPER COOL!!

The macharius chassis is a lot smaller than I thought, my Sicarans are only slightly smaller in size. Unfortunately I don’t own a warhound plasma blaster, so I’m afraid I can’t tell you whether it would look correct on a standard macharius. How would you model it as being open topped?

Hmmm, I've been thinking of ways to make it work for a while. One was a mechanicum vehicle chassis but i'm not so sure if there are any large enough and i dont really want to spend the money to then have something i can't use.

I was thinking to use the medusa as a platform and maybe some aegis defence line wall pieces and plasticard to creat some sort of command deck/platform over and around the rear of the gun, I'm still in the design stages right now.

Either way i feel that it will pale in comparison to what you've achieved here. so again, really good job!

• 4 weeks later...

File type: text, embedded images, personal message.

File location: outgoing noospheric data capture, origin: user78#980 “Endryd Haar”. Transferred to personal log: user 327#9601 “Shabran Darr”.

gallery_87021_11487_450307.jpeg

File content:

“Shabran, i write this personal note to you with both a heavy heart, but also a sense gladness at the opportunity that lies before you.

Firstly, let me congratulate you on your recent promotion to the rank of centurion, it is a testament to your martial prowess and dedication to command, that one so young in years has attained such a rank. It has been a privilege to watch your journey through the ranks of the 19th company from your very induction.

I understand your desire to be at the forefront of the crusade and it’s expansion. The course of my company whilst necessary, will not be recalled in history. Being closer to the Primarch, will in itself provide more opportunities to satisfy your ambition. The muster at Bodt has given the perfect opportunity for your transfer to the 11th Assault company.

I have no doubt that your success and progress will continue, my only hope is that the ideals I have passed down to you will keep you steadfast in such a rapidly changing world.

Enclosed are some pict captures detailing your last command in the 19th, I thought they may be of some value to you. Remember the stone from which you were cut....

For the Emperor,

Endryd Haar, 19th Assault company, XIIth legion.”

gallery_87021_11487_614795.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_196704.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_436345.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_402121.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_345346.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_69630.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_46806.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_409454.jpeg

Finally managed to complete all the MKV assault marines. I went light on the weathering again, with so many rivets etc it was a challenge to avoid them looking too grey.

However, I’ve got some destroyers on the bench...which is an excuse to step up the weathering level!

Hope you like them!

Cadmus