Last of a ragged house.....Contemptor Talon completed

God, that assault squad looks excellent. Your World Eaters are easily among the best I've ever seen.

Out of curiosity, where's Darr's bare head from?

Thanks, that’s high praise indeed. I take a lot of inspiration from Mr Pooms legendary world eaters. Although, I wanted a blue closer to to betrayal artwork and metallic blue gives so much more depth and visual interest.

The head is from the old MKii Baal Predator tank commander, it’s been sitting in my bits box for over fifteen years, glad I’ve finally found a use for it!

As always, great stuff.  The letter fluff piece is also neat.

Thanks mate, I was looking at the close ups and the white eyes just reminded me of Shabran Darrs entry in betrayal. I like the idea of him originally being under the command of Endryd, his ambition getting the better of him and eventually his path leads to the warrior we see on Istvaan 3. Perhaps regretting his transfer to the 11th....

Another great squad to round out the infantry, excellent mix of poses and the paint job is brilliant.

Truly inspiring stuff

Thanks bud, looking forward to seeing some more EC updates, stick with that purple!

Smashing work on the assault squad, I think you got the weathering just right, they don't look 'factory fresh' but they're not absolutely caked either. I like the attached fluff piece too, it's  a nice way to introduce each post.

Thanks Pearson, yeah I’m really enjoying the approach, writing the small piece of fluff just breathes a little more life into it.

Thanks for all the views and likes everyone!

Next up....

File type: pict capture, plus commentary

File location: Endryd Haar, personal log.

gallery_87021_11487_497280.jpeg

File commentary:

“Phosphex weaponry, some would say a necessary evil, employed by the legion in the direst of circumstances. But I do not believe weapons conform to a morality, it is the will with which they are employed that defines morality. Sometimes these weapons are necessary, but I must look at my own conscience to find evil.”

• 1 month later...

~~##Incoming transmission##~~

Transfer code: 324-232-786-8976

File destination: department of Logis, Magos Logis Naraceles Huron

......……..............................................

Sender authentication confirmed: Lord Regent Malcador.

Priority status: Verdant.

File type: text, multiple embedded images.

gallery_87021_11487_550184.jpeg

My dear Naraceles,

My thanks for the tireless work of the Logis departmento under your direction. I have thus far found the information that you have decoded to be informative and helpful in providing further context to the deployment of the 19th.

Whilst I admire your determination to provide evidence that will lead to conviction of the accused, I cannot help but detect the note of bias contained within your reports. Therefore, all future reports should be forwarded to the Regency to prevent influence of the Judiciary as the case is prepared.

In response to the most recent data transfer, the use of radiation and phosphex weaponry amongst the legions is commonplace. Their employment, as you so delicately put, does not add “further condemnation” to the conduct of the 19th company.

I trust you are able to comply with my request.

Malcador

gallery_87021_11487_815490.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_421409.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_204792.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_140862.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_3556.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_553961.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_412998.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_259369.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_341057.jpeg

Evening all,

Finally finished the destroyers! I was doubtful about using the MkV packs but they certainly look more aggressive.

I wanted them to look much more worn that my other infantry, but still maintain a crisp white. I’ve found adding more washes and enamels discolours the white too much. I tried my hand at chipping, to get a heavy weathered look but still maintain the white of the armour where the paint is still present.

I think they turned out ok?!

C&C welcome.

Cadmus

~~##transmission ends##~~

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Got to love Destroyers, you've really done them justice. The chipping and wear on the armour is great, it shows the corrosive and destructive nature of the weapons these guys use, but the overall models still look bright and unified with the previously painted units.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favourite unit so far, really great work. The extra weathering is pitched just right so they tie in with the other units, but look more battered. 

Easily my favourite blog on B&C!

Thanks mate, that’s high praise indeed given the quality of work on here!

Very nice. I don't really like the FW Destroyer models, as I think they don't come anywhere close to the fluff material about what those guys are meant to be and do on the battlefield, but the painting job itself looks fantastic.

Yes, it does feel like a missed opportunity in some ways, although I do quite like the gunslinger look, it makes for some unique poses! Thanks for the comment!

Got to love Destroyers, you've really done them justice. The chipping and wear on the armour is great, it shows the corrosive and destructive nature of the weapons these guys use, but the overall models still look bright and unified with the previously painted units.

Thanks Pearson, that’s exactly what I was aiming for. White is so easily changed by even the smallest bit of wash or stray powder, I was trying to keep the tied in with the current scheme and make them appear more weathered.

Cadmus

gallery_87021_15393_206797.jpeg

File type: Audio transcript

Transcript recording: Cell 245, detention block 3, sub level 4.

Interrogator: Endryd Haar

Subject: ##REDACTED##

###############

Subject - “He will abandon you, just as he did us, When you have completed your work, and you have conquered the stars, he will no longer have a use for you”.

Interrogator - “You were made for a finite purpose and so you were made with a finite end. What you have become, this genetic abomination consumed by the ideal of self preservation, is not what was intended for you”.

Subject - ~~laughter~~

Subject - “Abomination? Have you not seen what I have become? With the aid of those who crafted you and your father, I have become so much more than he intended”

Interrogator - “Beneath the thin veneer of your physical perfection, you are still flawed. Marred by the degradation of your duty. I have been sent to end something that should not have been”

Interrogator - “The emperor and regent thank you for your service to the imperium of man, but that service has come to an end”

Subject - “He is not my emperor......”

Subject - #TERMINATED#

##transcript ends##

gallery_87021_15393_60278.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_38837.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_891653.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_597448.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_497724.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_146297.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_659999.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_589974.jpeg

gallery_87021_15393_642078.jpeg

Some kitbashing fun to see in the new year! My second attempt at a Legio Cataegis....not quite a world eater, but perhaps one of their opponents.....

C&C welcome,

Cadmus

Is the Subject a Thunder Warrior who has somehow been made healthy...and even aesthetically pleasing?

I'll note Haar himself has been speculated to be a Thunder Warrior or TW hybrid.

Indeed. I’m slowly building a story using a few data extracts from the repository of the 19th assault company, just to add a bit of fun background to my project log.

My take on Haar is that he was part of the original astartes intake, and thus made in a different, perhaps more durable way. Another example would be Autek Morr. If Haar was a thunder warrior, that implies that conversion to astartes was a possibility, which undermines the plot line on the fate of the thunder warriors in “Valdor”. Why not convert all thunder warriors to astartes?

I personally think thunder warriors were much bigger than standard astartes. There are a number of references to their combat ability far out performing an astartes, or at least it’s heavily implied. I think there is a difference between an astartes wearing MKi power armour (thunder armour) and a Cataegis (thunder warrior). That’s the only way I can rationalise why an astartes wears MKi armour in the Ferrus Manus book.

Dude looks YUGE! Haha. Good job with that build. A+ as always with your background.

Cheers bud, yes, he’s pretty big, wielding a sponson heavy Bolter from the Sicaran kit! Just about happy with the proportions. Needed a break from making resin assault marines!

More updates to come....at some point!

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

@ Tyro

That's another interesting idea about Endryd Haar. He could be something like Leetu. Perhaps a high-performing early Astartes specimen made before they finalized the process to produce a more uniform product.

On the TW theory side, I think it may be possible that during the early phases of the Astartes project, the Imperium experimented seriously with stabilizing a number of TW specimens or converting them into quasi-Astartes (for some, perhaps to find out what effect certain Astartes organs would have upon TW physiology)...but it quickly became apparent that these efforts were simply not worth the variable end-product.

So the decision was made: much cheaper and faster for the Imperium to just wipe the slate clean and funnel project resources into building actual Astartes out of the optimal template, young mortal recruits (who have the added benefit of being easier to restrain throughout surgery). You then get the Ararat culling, but the small number of left-over TW/quasi-Astartes like Endryd are still put to use.

Some amazing models in this thread. I'm planning some World Eaters at the moment and you've given me a lot of inspiration.

Welcome to the forum Prim, looking forward to seeing your progress with the XIIth. Thanks for the kind words, there are two reasons I post on here, firstly to record the work I do in a more presentable way than storing photos. The second reason is to encourage others, so I’m glad to be able to do that!

There are lots of great threads on here, Kizzdougs, Vykes, and Mr Poom (although this one hasn’t been updated for a while, it’s a great source of inspiration for world eaters) to name but a few users. More than happy to chat techniques about white and blue used, either here or via PM.

@ Tyro

That's another interesting idea about Endryd Haar. He could be something like Leetu. Perhaps a high-performing early Astartes specimen made before they finalized the process to produce a more uniform product.

On the TW theory side, I think it may be possible that during the early phases of the Astartes project, the Imperium experimented seriously with stabilizing a number of TW specimens or converting them into quasi-Astartes (for some, perhaps to find out what effect certain Astartes organs would have upon TW physiology)...but it quickly became apparent that these efforts were simply not worth the variable end-product.

So the decision was made: much cheaper and faster for the Imperium to just wipe the slate clean and funnel project resources into building actual Astartes out of the optimal template, young mortal recruits (who have the added benefit of being easier to restrain throughout surgery). You then get the Ararat culling, but the small number of left-over TW/quasi-Astartes like Endryd are still put to use.

When researching background for Haar I came across this quote from malcador: “ You are a tool. You have been badly used, Endryd, this I admit. You're a tool without equal, a living weapon akin to those that came later, yet subtly different, a neccessary evil."

"I am as I was made”.

I’m not sure of it’s origin as the site doesn’t properly reference its material, but if it’s a direct extract from a BL/FW publication it supports the theory of Haar being from the first intake, perhaps the astartes were originally made in the Emperor’s laboratory and then streamlined by the genecraft of the lunar clans. If I remember correctly, praetorian of Dorn suggests that the imperial fists were used to conquer Lunar, so that implies they must have been created on Terra initially before the taking of Lunar and then onto mass production.

Regarding the TW, by the time the astartes were created they were a genetic mess of degradation. Physically and psychologically. So I’m not sure they would have been suitable candidates for transition to astartes. Also, if this was occurring, the “primarch” Cataegis being highest ranking TW officers, would have surely known about the astartes project and perhaps even been first in line to receive the astartes treatment. But Valdor makes it clear they had no knowledge of the project, and even introduces us to the thought processes of a Cataegis Primarch, who cannot see outside of his own experience, hence the outcome of the final engagement outside the Palace.

Cadmus

@ Tyro

When researching background for Haar I came across this quote from malcador: “ You are a tool. You have been badly used, Endryd, this I admit. You're a tool without equal, a living weapon akin to those that came later, yet subtly different, a neccessary evil."

"I am as I was made”.

I’m not sure of it’s origin as the site doesn’t properly reference its material, but if it’s a direct extract from a BL/FW publication it supports the theory of Haar being from the first intake, perhaps the astartes were originally made in the Emperor’s laboratory and then streamlined by the genecraft of the lunar clans. If I remember correctly, praetorian of Dorn suggests that the imperial fists were used to conquer Lunar, so that implies they must have been created on Terra initially before the taking of Lunar and then onto mass production.

Regarding the TW, by the time the astartes were created they were a genetic mess of degradation. Physically and psychologically. So I’m not sure they would have been suitable candidates for transition to astartes. Also, if this was occurring, the “primarch” Cataegis being highest ranking TW officers, would have surely known about the astartes project and perhaps even been first in line to receive the astartes treatment. But Valdor makes it clear they had no knowledge of the project, and even introduces us to the thought processes of a Cataegis Primarch, who cannot see outside of his own experience, hence the outcome of the final engagement outside the Palace.

Cadmus

Yeah, Valdor: Birth of the Imperium, confirms both of these points.

I was thinking more along the lines of isolated TW or small TW units being disappeared for possible TW-Astartes experiments, but if the quote is valid, I don't think a TW would be described as subtly different from "those that came later" if that phrase refers to Astartes. They'd be drastically different. A bit nutty...but could this mean Endryd might be a proto-TW or a proto-Astartes?

gallery_87021_11487_279930.jpeg

File type: pict capture, text commentary.

File location: Illias Mercer, personal log.

Commentary:

“To witness the 19th assault company in action, is to witness a force of nature. A frothing ocean of blue and white, swept up in waves as jump packs propel the assault upwards and forwards, in graceful arcs and rhythm, breaking hard against the shore.

But unlike the ocean, it’s momentum cannot be quelled.....”

Finally finished building the assault marines. X30 with Meltabombs and power axes. Here’s a couple of close ups of the squad sergeants:

gallery_87021_11487_277961.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_40586.jpeg

Interestingly the MKiv resin kit has quite a reserved and static pose compared with the MKV, much harder to get dynamic poses, but easier for “at ease” posing.

Now onto batch painting!

Cadmus

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_87021_11487_705418.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_444663.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_282519.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_464779.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_569690.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_38906.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_544167.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_44629.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_264451.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_624006.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_523011.jpeg

File: audio transcript

Transcript recording: ##REDACTED##

Interrogator: Constantine Valdor:

Subject: Veteran Sergeant Jaern Rakarth

Interrogator - Tell me about Endryd Haar.

Subject - He saved me. I didn’t see it that way at the time you understand. All I saw was the missed opportunity, the nails were more of a rite of passage in the legion, their refusal was not taken to kindly. I had ambitions to be more than just a line soldier.

But I see things more clearly now, and I’m forever grateful to him. To be a mere line officer in his company is enough for me.

Interrogator- Tell me about the nails.

Subject- Surely you are aware of their function?

Interrogator- I am, are they the reason for your scars?

Subject - Yes, although I am fortunate he intervened when he did. Seconds later and the procedure would have been irreversible, but even that left the deformity you see before you, I lost the vision in my right eye shortly after.

He wanted recruits free of the nails you understand? He refused any unit his ranks that had accepted our fathers “gift”, scarce few warriors opted out of the procedure. It was only circumstance that delayed mine, it was only after that I understood his reasons and that I had been transferred to the 19th for this very reason.

Interrogator- And why did he refuse such recruits?

Subject- You know the answer to that question as well....

Why am I being held here as a prisoner? He sent me here to warn you of Horus’ treachery! To be treated as a traitor is a dishonour to all that the 19th stands for!

Interrogator- Horus’ treachery is already known, and your legion stands amongst those who have been excommunicated. Every day, agents of the warmaster pass through the system gathering.....

Subject- ~~laughter~~

And my legion is so well know for its tactics in espionage and deception...

Interrogator- Your fate will be decided when your master returns to Terra to give his account. He will be judged and the fate of the 19th will be united with his own.

Until then sergeant, you have been relieved of duty.

Subject - Only in death does duty end....

########transcript ends#######

gallery_87021_11487_340.jpeg

So, the first fifteen MKiv assault marines are finished. Interestingly the MKiv assault squad kit lends itself to more static posing, so I mixed in some destroyer parts and a few different arms to try and get a few dynamic poses.

Hope you like em!

Might take a break from infantry for a while.....

Cadmus