Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Last of a ragged house.....MKiv assault squad complete

World Eaters Legion XIIth Legion Legio XII blackshields Endryd Haar WIP

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,182 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands Legion

Solid work, as per ususal, nice accompanying fluff too. I would say that the power axe looks a little plain, perhaps an energy effect or glow could make them a little more interesting. Surprised to see how clean these boys keep their chain weapons too!

• Cadmus Tyro likes this

Varyn

Varyn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 334 posts

Another great looking unit, hats off to you Cadmus 

looking forward to seeing what the next piece will be if it’s not infantry!

• Cadmus Tyro likes this

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,154 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus 65th company

Cadmus Tyro my dude, you've absolutely knocked these outta the park.  The destroyers in particular with the super aggressive harrower style jump pack is absolutely perfect, differentiates and makes it feel bigger, meaner, and the pose on the missile launcher sorts is inspired.  That, super clean and great looking whites (do love the lining work there), metallic blue (seriously I haven't seen that combination in the wild), great poses on 'em give it all a real life of its own.  Absolutely killer.

Gonna be reading more to catch up, soak it all in as I always love good backstory and unique forces.  Kudos, absolutely crazy good work!  Can't wait to see what you do up next!  now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go scream internally for half an hour to not geek out about the 12th. This is a veeeeeery very dangerous/inspiring force for me, mate. 

• Cadmus Tyro likes this

gallery_107230_14721_11872.png

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 822 posts

Absolutely lovely, kudos !

Thanks dude!

Solid work, as per ususal, nice accompanying fluff too. I would say that the power axe looks a little plain, perhaps an energy effect or glow could make them a little more interesting. Surprised to see how clean these boys keep their chain weapons too!

Good points, I agree with both of them. I think, at some point, I have to declare the unit finished, I could probably add a few more sessions adding details to weapons etc, but I think it’s ok. It’s that balance between quantity vs quality, and I’ve got to draw the line somewhere.

As to the gore, ha ha, still haven’t decided whether to add that. Again, it’s a part of realism in war gaming that is on the verge of being too far (personal opinion), but there’s also the risk of messing it up entirely, the white is hard to clean up if you make a mess of things. At some point, I will include a unit of red butchers and Angron, so I can use the force as traitor XIIth legion. I think that will be the point I practice my blood splatter, and If it goes well I’ll work back through my force.

Another great looking unit, hats off to you Cadmus 

looking forward to seeing what the next piece will be if it’s not infantry!

Thanks mate, the only vehicle in the list at the moment is my LoW! That needs to change ;)

Cadmus Tyro my dude, you've absolutely knocked these outta the park.  The destroyers in particular with the super aggressive harrower style jump pack is absolutely perfect, differentiates and makes it feel bigger, meaner, and the pose on the missile launcher sorts is inspired.  That, super clean and great looking whites (do love the lining work there), metallic blue (seriously I haven't seen that combination in the wild), great poses on 'em give it all a real life of its own.  Absolutely killer.

Gonna be reading more to catch up, soak it all in as I always love good backstory and unique forces.  Kudos, absolutely crazy good work!  Can't wait to see what you do up next!  now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go scream internally for half an hour to not geek out about the 12th. This is a veeeeeery very dangerous/inspiring force for me, mate.

Nice to see you stopping by Vykes! Glad to be of some inspiration, hopefully it won’t derail your current progress!!

Yeah, the blue was almost accidental. Went through loads of flat blues trying to find a fit with the betrayal artwork, I don’t really like the UM blue that’s classically used. The metallic was the only tone that matched the artwork, but it’s properties when reacting to light really helps create visual interest and emulates the subtle tone changes seen in the artwork, natural shadows as the pad curves away from the light.

Thanks for all the comments and likes everyone, it’s keeping me going!

Cadmus
  • LameBeard and Vykes like this
Alpha legion and Iron hands work in progress:

http://www.bolterand...legion-wip-log/

Blackshield/World eaters log:

http://www.bolterand...omega-complete/

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,414 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore
Absolutely styling - easily some of the best WE out there. How'd you do the blue if I may ask? :)
  • Cadmus Tyro likes this
Instagram Handle: count.hodo

12.jpg

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 822 posts

Absolutely styling - easily some of the best WE out there. How'd you do the blue if I may ask? :)

Thanks observer, appreciate the comment!

The blue recipe as requested:

All done via airbrush

1) Black base
2) Gunmetal (Vallejo)
3) Chainmail highlight (Vallejo)
4) Silver Highlight (Vallejo), keep centre of the pad bright silver to help the decals stand out.
5) Sparkling blue (reaper) mixed roughly 50:50 with flow improver (Vallejo). Very light coating over the pad centre, darken the edges with a second coat. Really easy to overdo this stage, the darker it is the less contrast you get with the decal.
6) X2 heavy coats with satin or gloss aerosol varnish (Vallejo). Really important step as the reaper paint is water soluble, so will rub off when you apply decals if you don’t protect it.
7) add decals
8) seal with aerosol varnish
9) recess wash with thinned AK interactive neutral grey enamel wash.
10)clean up wash and blend
11) add weathering etc
12) seal with Matte varnish when complete, I use Mig lucky varnish through an AB for the final stage.

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro, 12 February 2021 - 04:27 PM.

• The Observer likes this
Alpha legion and Iron hands work in progress:

http://www.bolterand...legion-wip-log/

Blackshield/World eaters log:

http://www.bolterand...omega-complete/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: World Eaters Legion, XIIth Legion, Legio XII, blackshields, Endryd Haar, WIP

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users