Last of a ragged house.....Contemptor Talon completed

Solid work, as per ususal, nice accompanying fluff too. I would say that the power axe looks a little plain, perhaps an energy effect or glow could make them a little more interesting. Surprised to see how clean these boys keep their chain weapons too!

Cadmus Tyro my dude, you've absolutely knocked these outta the park.  The destroyers in particular with the super aggressive harrower style jump pack is absolutely perfect, differentiates and makes it feel bigger, meaner, and the pose on the missile launcher sorts is inspired.  That, super clean and great looking whites (do love the lining work there), metallic blue (seriously I haven't seen that combination in the wild), great poses on 'em give it all a real life of its own.  Absolutely killer.

Gonna be reading more to catch up, soak it all in as I always love good backstory and unique forces.  Kudos, absolutely crazy good work!  Can't wait to see what you do up next!  now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go scream internally for half an hour to not geek out about the 12th. This is a veeeeeery very dangerous/inspiring force for me, mate. 

Absolutely lovely, kudos !

Thanks dude!

Solid work, as per ususal, nice accompanying fluff too. I would say that the power axe looks a little plain, perhaps an energy effect or glow could make them a little more interesting. Surprised to see how clean these boys keep their chain weapons too!

Good points, I agree with both of them. I think, at some point, I have to declare the unit finished, I could probably add a few more sessions adding details to weapons etc, but I think it’s ok. It’s that balance between quantity vs quality, and I’ve got to draw the line somewhere.

As to the gore, ha ha, still haven’t decided whether to add that. Again, it’s a part of realism in war gaming that is on the verge of being too far (personal opinion), but there’s also the risk of messing it up entirely, the white is hard to clean up if you make a mess of things. At some point, I will include a unit of red butchers and Angron, so I can use the force as traitor XIIth legion. I think that will be the point I practice my blood splatter, and If it goes well I’ll work back through my force.

Another great looking unit, hats off to you Cadmus 

looking forward to seeing what the next piece will be if it’s not infantry!

Thanks mate, the only vehicle in the list at the moment is my LoW! That needs to change ;)

Cadmus Tyro my dude, you've absolutely knocked these outta the park.  The destroyers in particular with the super aggressive harrower style jump pack is absolutely perfect, differentiates and makes it feel bigger, meaner, and the pose on the missile launcher sorts is inspired.  That, super clean and great looking whites (do love the lining work there), metallic blue (seriously I haven't seen that combination in the wild), great poses on 'em give it all a real life of its own.  Absolutely killer.

Gonna be reading more to catch up, soak it all in as I always love good backstory and unique forces.  Kudos, absolutely crazy good work!  Can't wait to see what you do up next!  now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go scream internally for half an hour to not geek out about the 12th. This is a veeeeeery very dangerous/inspiring force for me, mate.

Nice to see you stopping by Vykes! Glad to be of some inspiration, hopefully it won’t derail your current progress!!

Yeah, the blue was almost accidental. Went through loads of flat blues trying to find a fit with the betrayal artwork, I don’t really like the UM blue that’s classically used. The metallic was the only tone that matched the artwork, but it’s properties when reacting to light really helps create visual interest and emulates the subtle tone changes seen in the artwork, natural shadows as the pad curves away from the light.

Thanks for all the comments and likes everyone, it’s keeping me going!

Cadmus

Absolutely styling - easily some of the best WE out there. How'd you do the blue if I may ask? :)

Thanks observer, appreciate the comment!

The blue recipe as requested:

All done via airbrush

1) Black base

2) Gunmetal (Vallejo)

3) Chainmail highlight (Vallejo)

4) Silver Highlight (Vallejo), keep centre of the pad bright silver to help the decals stand out.

5) Sparkling blue (reaper) mixed roughly 50:50 with flow improver (Vallejo). Very light coating over the pad centre, darken the edges with a second coat. Really easy to overdo this stage, the darker it is the less contrast you get with the decal.

6) X2 heavy coats with satin or gloss aerosol varnish (Vallejo). Really important step as the reaper paint is water soluble, so will rub off when you apply decals if you don’t protect it.

7) add decals

8) seal with aerosol varnish

9) recess wash with thinned AK interactive neutral grey enamel wash.

10)clean up wash and blend

11) add weathering etc

12) seal with Matte varnish when complete, I use Mig lucky varnish through an AB for the final stage.

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_87021_11487_668828.jpeg

File type: personal message.

Sender: Primus Medicae Karnatern

Recipient: ###REDACTED###

###REDACTED### your concern for our Esteemed Praetor has been noted . I can assure you this file will remain confidential.

I believe Endryd has taken the death of his brothers hard, they were the last of the first Terran intake in the company and as such, shared an affinity with the praetor that we will never fully comprehend. Their interment has perhaps lessened the blow, but it will take time for him to process such a grievous loss.

The brothers were a source of council for Endryd in life, and this wisdom has been preserved in death. It is only natural that he would want to consult with them, especially given the turmoil in which we find ourselves. I believe he is weighing the best course of action for the company, and sharing this burden with others is a healthy endeavour.

I agree that the amount of time the praetor has spent in their company is perhaps to the extreme, so I will call him for psychological evaluation as is my prerogative.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Karnatern

~~~~transmission ends~~~~

gallery_87021_11487_72670.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_19209.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_330033.jpeg

Ah, some much needed backfield support! Lovely kits to work with on the build, although getting a leg position that looked right was a challenge!

I dropped the height of the boreas launcher down as well, it just looked unnecessarily far away from the carapace:

gallery_87021_11487_328991.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_86844.jpeg

Hope you like them?!

Cadmus

• 2 weeks later...

File type: text, embedded pict capture.

File location: Endryd Haar, personal log.

gallery_87021_11487_815100.jpeg

Helkeraan and Jophaar, brothers from birth, brothers in arms, united from the beginning of life and so united in death.

They fell, fighting the ##REDACTED## through the tunnels of the Cerberus installation. An inglorious death for ones so honoured in life.

We fought together, through the tempest of a thousand battles, against the terrors of old night and the tyrants that would not yield to their pride. We conquered nations and raised civilisations to the ground.

They should have accompanied me to the stars, instead they sleep for eternity, living and yet dead, their preservation both a comfort and a grievous reminder of what we have lost.

We will pursue them to the end,

Vengeance is mine......

gallery_87021_11487_1035013.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_993002.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_203910.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_1398722.jpeg

Well, they took a little longer than expected! Especially the boreas missiles, took me a while to find something I liked. In the end I attempted to emulate a more modern day missile, I think it works?

Hope you like them!

Cadmus

~~~~transmission ends~~~~

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Amazing work and the missiles look great IMO - where did you get the transfers for the warning triangles from?

Cheers, the warning decals are just from the standard mechanicum transfer sheet, easy to find on eBay!

The black line decals on the cone were bought on eBay as well, quality’s not great but they work ok. The red line was the hardest to do, I wanted to match the red of the other decals, so each red line is multiple sections of the world water heavy support icon, wrapped around the cone and lined up. Don’t ask how long that took!

Who says that World Eaters have to be all assault units all the time? Those are gorgeous. From the bases all the way up to the top of the missiles, they look awesome. The decals and weathering really add to the realism of the minis.

Thanks dude, I think to be viable the list needs a long range counter to artillery and the deredeos fulfil that wonderfully with the ability to snipe weak armoured artillery units turn one.

I love the missiles the most really woth the markings. Great touch. Would never have thought of that.

This army has an incredible amount of character. I really love this project log.

Cheers, high praise indeed, glad you’re enjoying it! I got the ideas from a good friend who works in the military....

Those (and this thread) are great! I really love the warning decals on the missiles.

In the grim dark future there is nothing but health and safety laws.

How are you doing the dusty legs?

Thanks! The dusty legs, it’s essentially Mig dark earth powder applied straight from the pot with some small amounts of black powder to vary the tone, all using a coarse stippling brush. I don’t fix this last pigment stage.

But it’s applied over a number of other weathering techniques which add more realism.

Thanks for all the views and likes!

Time for another update shortly!

Cadmus

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_87021_11487_552193.jpeg

File type: text, embedded pict capture.

File location: Endryd Haar, personal log.

“The Carcharias, named after the most feared predators of ancient Terra. Drawn by the scent of blood on the water, through the tumult of battle, inexorably towards its prey. Drawing ever closer, preparing to strike, full terror revealed in gaping maw of razor white.

We are the fangs of the emperor.....”

gallery_87021_11487_954291.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_399587.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_136112.jpeg

Hey everyone, hope you like Haars new transport! This is the final piece of my 3k force built, not much left for the project......

Couldn’t decide on the presence of the tank commander, he didn’t seem quite right on top of an assault transport, perhaps I need to buy a typhon!

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

gallery_87021_11487_125432.jpeg

File type: text, ship log entry, extract.

File location: Akaarn Tarn, personal log

gallery_87021_11487_437944.jpeg

“Ah the combat shield, the single most under estimated piece of wargear available to the astartes. A slab of ceramite, crudely fashioned, strong enough to deflect all but the most determined blow, light enough to wield attached to the forearm.

The perfect partner to the executioners axe, allowing the user to freely move from single to two handed strokes, providing the ability to weather and parry the enemies blows.

A simple but effective weapon, it has saved my life on many occasions....”

Veteran sergeant Akaarn Tarn, 7th assault squad, 19th assault company, XIIth legion.

gallery_87021_11487_516144.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_581360.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_147774.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_401304.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_512950.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_221306.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_243602.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_811659.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_134221.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_633155.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_305558.jpeg

gallery_87021_11487_391837.jpeg

Well, that’s the last assault squad completed making 45 assault marines, or 55 if you include the destroyers!

Yes, it may be time for an army shot....soon....

Cadmus