Tactica: Long Fangs

PeteySödes

I’m sure that we’ll have an opportunity to discuss more when 9th edition actually hits, and when we get actual points values, but it seems to me that the new Primaris Eradicators have just put the final nail in the coffin of Long Fangs.

While the eradicators do appear good (asininely good in fact), they're still an aggressive unit with a 24" range and no transport options cheaper than 300+ pts minimum. At the same time, I see how their unit design is basically geared 100% towards the new strategic reserves rules of 9th. (But also good with our Cunning of the wolf, Raven guard, etc...)  This also even more combined with the smaller table sizes now, though our local community is staying at 6x4, games are already quick enough on that scale.

For load-out I see their (Eradicator's) analogues to LF in roles, IE, that of "hunt big stuff", but the LF can (and should probably always be, given their firstborn fragility + expensiveness) decked out for longest/er range fire.

LF's also get that ability I've come to rely on of having a Termie pack leader with a SS to absorb the other usual low volume, high AP, and long range firepower that tries to take them out due to them being so far back.  That's obviously not always the case, but 9/10 times that TPL is soaking up basilisks, whirlwinds, etc...

As a bonus, I'm reasonably sure Frag missiles will go back to being blast, so my 6ML loadout longfangs will be partnering with "Chooser of the slain" a lot more often in 9th.

The terminator WGPL with stormshield can tank sooooo many shots though, general pack leader for ablative wounds to. As a unit they soak up so much firepower

New morale and coherency rules affect them a little but they have the strategem support and much longet range

I wonder how important long range will be considering the new terrain changes impacting LOS. Having 48" range is great unless every 18" there's LOS blocking terrain...

Yeah, if you're playing a ruins-heavy table, you're not getting very many shots across the board in 9e.