More Astorum (and Vulpa in the future)

Hi All. 

Been lurking for months now, thought it about time I started posting my Titans. :smile.:

I went Astorum as I liked the extra risky movement and the idea of a duel claw titan was something I thought would look awesome. Though it turns out thats probably pretty naff... 

Still to build; 2 warhounds on sprue, 2 warhounds to strip and start again as I dont like how they turned out. A Knight household box that hasn't even been touched, 2 Acastus knights, that I will probably wait and see if they release an upgrade kit to build the other option. Also have an unbuilt warlord. 

I bought a new starter box too, but that hasnt turned up yet! 

Next on the list is a Psytitan and then I will start looking at a Vulpa warlord. I think I will probably paint a couple of the warhounds as Vulpa too... 

I need to finish and consider the basing a bit more, and highlight the blue! Every time I think I am nearly finished I find more pipes or cables that I want to colour, or washes to apply! 

warlord.jpg

2warlords.jpg

Titans2.jpg

Very nice. Welcome to the board. Good to see another Astorum player here. There are already a few of us.

I've started a Legio Mortis force to have as adversaries for my Astorum. It's nice to have a different scheme to paint. It'll be interesting to see you Vulpa stuff.

Those Reavers are very nice!

...and yes, there's always something undone, some imperfection to correct, etc., etc.

As they say: perfect is the enemy of good.

• 1 month later...

Well, lockdown has not given me nearly as much time as I would have liked... 

So far the only thing I have gotten done is some highlighting of my blue and then messing with transfers. I have never used transfers before! Mostly just painted bits but thought I would give them a go! I bought my self a bottle of microsol and microset and got started... 

IMG-7631.jpgIMG-7633.jpgIMG-7632.jpg

Edited by I_Am_IronSam

• 6 months later...

I hadn't realised that I haven't updated this as much as I should have. I will get more pice of my warlords etc tonight. 

I have some new lighting which is making painting much easier! 

Reavers 4 and 5 are hoping to be finished this week. 4 only needs the base finishing so that shouldnt take long. I have a game lined up this weekend and sticking with the corsairs I think. Though I might run them as traitors for that warp jump stratagem, which I feel is rather fluffy, being named warp runners and all that...  

Reavers1.jpg

Love these! Really striking, and very well executed too. There's no doubt whatsoever which Legio these titans belong to. The yellow and yellow/orange look great - you've really nailed a bright but still warm yellow, which can be tricky. I've seen a few Astorum schemes where the yellow is creamier and it just doesn't look as striking.

As a fellow Warp Runners player, though....Traitor allegiance?! Surely not!

Interesting loadouts on those Reavers. The dual fisty guys will be fun I expect.

Great progress on these. Those checks are very nicely painted.

When doing checks or diamonds freehand, I find it's useful to check that you have straight diagonal lines, as well as the grid. This can show you if you've got some rows or columns that are wider than others. I think your grids are mostly perfect but maybe you have a narrow row on the inside shin plate - or it could just be the picture as that bit's not quite in focus anyway.

Thanks both! These are my first checkers, I think diagonal lines would make sense! I will have to give that a shot next time! A new brush would probably have made sense too! 

There was a little pooling of the spray paint on Mr Checkers which I didnt notice. I should have stripped it but thought I could hide it... 

I really like the checkers and now think I will need a 4th warlord... 

Ha only Traitors until I finish the Vulpa... Probably... The movement bonuses are really beneficial and I find suicide CC titans a lot of fun! Though as soon as I get a Psi Titan they will be purely loyalists... *grumble grumble out of stock grumble grumble*

Plus one of my regular opponents uses a Psi titan fairly often with his gryphonicus, so he is definitely loyal. 

Really, really nice mate. The painting is bright and crisp and the shading between yellow and orange is really nice. The poses are also cool. 

*grumble grumble out of stock grumble grumble*

Yeah :( I've also been waiting patiently for this guy to return.

What do you use to paint your blue and yellow? as I can not get my models to look as bold/bright at your colours, your models look great.

Paint brushes ;) 

The blues are a long story... But simply put, Citadel colour: Kantor blue as the base, then transition to Scale 75: Enchanted Blue. I use a black panel liner to do the edges as I am lazy and then edge highlight with Enchanted Blue and any light grey... 

I adore the Scale 75 paints after using primarily citadel for 15 years... 

The yellow is just making sure you have a smooth base of wraithbone, followed by Yriel yellow. Then you can do what ever you want to it... If there are any shapes or pieces of interest, like the head or the shin bits then I go with a coat of Iyanden yellow contrast and then reapply the Yriel to give shape and highlight. 

I am not going to weather these guys, I like to think that after every battle they get back into their transporters and a hoard of servitors comes in and washes down the titans, repaints any damage received etc. They are basically gods after all. 

Vulpa is being made atm and I will see what kind of weathering I decide to do with them! Its not something I have attempted before so it will be interesting. 

• 3 months later...

Okay, so I have finished Astorum for now. I have some old style 3D printed missiles for the warlord missing them in the pic below now, I will get another set of official ones - I am assuming that GW official tournaments don't allow 3D prints? 

Vulpa has 4 hounds and an almost finished Warbringer. I ran out of magnets so cant finish the arms... 

I intended to do weathering to make these look a little worn but not sure how to do that on dark red/almost black. Guess I will have to do another legio... I was tempted to do solaria anyway, so another "Traitor" force could work... 

I also did a third legio - they haven't faired so well... Need to do some more scratches etc on them though. 

Knights next! Not sure what I want to do with them yet. I have done a few in green and cream but I found a beautiful scale 75 grey so I might have to use that instead. 

Group-shot.jpg

Fisty.jpg

Twins.jpg

Melta-Gatling.jpg

Warhound.jpg

IMG-0190.jpg

Group.jpg

At the home of Warhammer, third party miniatures are not permitted -any models you use must be either Citadel or Forge World miniatures.

That being said, if you’re getting creative with conversions then generic parts such as plasticard, wire and brass rod are fine to use, but any cast miniature parts specifically designed for models must be produced by Citadel or Forge World.Note that this refers to the actual miniaturesin your collection.

These requirements do not apply to the bases of your models.

I'm not really sure how that applies to 3D prints. I would assume that if they're own design...