Night lords zone mortalis [1255 pts]

shang

Hi guys just wanted some feedback on this zone mortalis list. All terminator armor is tartaros.

+HQ+

-Legion delegatus- 65pt

-- terminator armor- 35pt

-- master crafted power axe- free

100 pt

+Elites+

-Terminators (5*)-175

--power fists (5*)- 25

200 pt

+Elites+

Comtemptor cortus talon

-contemptor cortus- 135

--plasma cannon (2*)- 20

--extra armor- 5

160 pt

-contemptor cortus- 135

--close combat weapons (2*)- free

--extra armor- 5

140 pt

+Elites+

veterern squad

-vets (10*)- 160

--power weapons (6*)- 60

--sargent artificer- 10

230 pt

+troops+

tactical squad

-space marines (10*)- 125

--power weapon (1*)- 10

135 pt

+troops+

tactical squad

-space marines (10*)- 125

--power weapon (1*)- 10

135 pt

+fast attack+

legion seekers

-seekers (5*)- 155

155 pts

total 1255

Legion: night lords (traitor)

As of yet i have no rite of war in mind: not a big fan of terror squads (too expensive)

Please tell me what you think, any areas for improvement as this is my first list.

Going to say it, you need breachers. All it takes is one template weapon in ZM and your veteran squad, tactical squad and seeker squad are gone. Look into volkite chargers on your breachers as well, you can have 2 in a 10 man squad and your sergeant can have a combi volkite (which is an unlimited use volkite weapon with a bolter on top) and the 15" range won't really hamper you as ZM is almost always close quarters anyway.

Your Terminators are going to need some power axes for AP2, give them at least one powerfist and one chain fist and give the rest axes. I'd also look into cataphractii over tartaros due to their 4++ invulnerable save which will help in ZM.

Comtemptors, give them a chain fist and a close combat weapon. Either have flamers in one and grav guns in the other or a flamer and grav gun on both.

In regards to a right of war, go with the zone mortalis assault force. Terminators become non-compulsory troops and all breachers that are in base to base contact get +1 to their invulnerable save. Downside is that you can't have any more that 15 models and only infantry and walkers but with the new ZM rules thats all you can use anyway.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Pretty good advice. Contemptor chain fists are a very good idea. Cataphractii may be the way to go, considering i dont have anything fancy to overwatch with.

Although im not convinced about the the breachers; they do offer clear benefits but they are very expensive.

To be honest i was using the tac marines as despoilers, taking advantage of talent for murder; the hole point of them was to be cannon fodder and screen for the more expensive units.

I would probably take them if cold void was enforced.

Is it better to have contemptors take 2 ranged/close combat weapons or a mix?

Take two ranged or two melee. If you take one with both you have a dread that wants to shoot and punch but will be unable to do the other while doing one.

The reason I suggest breachers is the Void Hardened rule, if your despoiler squad runs into a breacher squad with flamers they are dead. In ZM ALL template weapons gain shred so all failed to-wound rolls are re-rolled. Breachers with the rite of war I mentioned can also have a 5++ Invuln if they are base to base which in cc (as long as they are base to base) they get a 4++ invuln. Thats terminator grade protection right there as well as anyone charging them won't get any bonuses to charging. They are expensive, but they are really worth it.

Point taken, i think i can hammer a unit into the list. 

I think i might make the terminator squad a command squad; its alittle more expensive but i gain weapon skill.

Do you think the list has enough fire power?

If you are using the rite of war (no reason not to to be honest) you can make them a troops choice along with a breacher unit or two, that way you can have the dreads in different elite slots so they don't have to stay together.

Potentially, but as nice as it is you'll want to be able to march on objectives and stay on them. WIthout seeing a revised list you should, most of my ZM lists use a delegatus, dread and two breachers with the rest of the points spent on another dread or teminator squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Amended list.

+HQ+

-Legion delegatus- 65pt

-- terminator armor- 35pt

-- master crafted power axe- free

100 pt

+Elites+

Comtemptor cortus talon

-contemptor cortus- 135

--plasma cannon (2*)- 20

--extra armor- 5

160 pt

-contemptor cortus- 135

--close combat weapons (2*)- free

--extra armor- 5

140 pt

+Elites+

veterern squad

-vets (10*)- 160

--power weapons (6*)- 60

--sargent artificer- 10

230 pt

+troops+

-Terminators (5*)-175

--power fists (5*)- 25

200 pt

+troops+

breecher squad

-space marines (10*)- 200

--power weapon (1*)- 10

--2x flamer- 20

-- artificer armor- 10

240 pt

+fast attack+

legion seekers

-seekers (5*)- 155

155 pts

total 1225

Legion: night lords (traitor)

Zone moritalis rite of war.

The ZM assault force RoW gives you 2 benefits: deepstriking termies, and +1 to breacher invuln saves.

You don't seem to be taking enough breachers to justify this RoW. The terminators of the VIIIth legion can already deepstrike on their own, and so can the Delegatus (which is an amazing choice, but should be armed with Chainfist to better represent his hugeass Chainglaive and chew trough dreadnoughts).

There are two ways you could go with the RoWs: the "Chosen Duty RoW" of the Delegatus, in which case you can take 2 vet squads as troops, but their non-void hardened armor can be a problem if hit with templates.

The other choice is the new "Cross of Bone" RoW. You get extra elites for every non-compulsory HQ, but you will need to take another troops choice (preferably a breacher squad)

It is unlikely the long range Seekers with exel in the close confines of a ZM games. Those points are better spent elsewhere. Namely, more vets or Breachers.

Dreadnoughts are not the only vehicles you can take. You can also field rapiers. Laser destroyers can help you force a path through locked doors, and graviton cannons can prove of useful with the bonus to blast weapons and the dangerous terrain they leave behind.

Edited by The Scorpion

Disagree with the breachers. I took 30 in my last ZM list and while they can survive, they never actually kill anything themselves.

Other units have hardened armour and synergise with talent for murder better.

Destroyers are the obvious choice. They are far more combat orientated and can take rending flamers of their own, cheaper melta bombs, phosphex and rad grenades are a bonus for those 2+ to wound rolls for those 40 charging attacks hitting on a 3+.

Other units include heavy support. Having 5 heavy flamers camp on the other side of that all important door is not to be underestimated.