SMM's Legio Fureans

Thanks guys, really cleared it up.

I've almost started painting more models. I'm at this point where I'm getting some orders in at a trickle, so I build them and then decide I'll wait until after I prime everything at once to start airbrushing, and then get another box.

1072513-.jpg

For the knights, I glued in their fist arm as its directional, but I magnetized their swords so I can swap to ranged weapons when I get around to collecting enough.

1072514-.jpg

1072515-.jpg

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm steaming along with painting my battle group for a game on Friday. A bit delayed by having to move the other week, but I should have some progress shots by the end of the day.

I also realized I own the white dwarf with the custom legio rules and have been looking over them to see if we should include them. But, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, they look incredibly strong. I don't know if we should hold off until the Ryza book hopefully tones things down or not.

It should...  Those rules would be more friendly if you could only take two bonuses instead of four but even then everyone would still take Elite Magos and all traitors would take the Astorum reroll. Even after things get (hopefully) rebalanced I don't know how many legios will have a better combo than a BYOL list.  

That’s totally dependent on your play style I guess - a bunch of the offensive stuff like the weapon mods cost points and are kinda situational. I don’t find that I have many points left over and I don’t personally like situational bonuses that I need to steer myself into. Gimme something like a flat repair reroll bonus any day of the week, it goes off every repair phase and doesn’t have some of the very specific wording that some of the other traits have.

The general consensus is that yes, the WD Legio rules are a bit too good. We've already seen from a preview of the next book that elite magos is getting toned down, to a reroll instead of an extra servitor clade. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/31/the-defence-of-ryza-your-first-lookfw-homepage-post-3/

That's probably almost as good for a Warlord, but it's a fair bit worse for a Warhound. However, as an Astorum player, I can definitely say that it's always useful to have those rerolls.

As for whether offence or defence is better, that's a tough one. It's particularly tricky because there are different ways of doing both. It also depends a lot on the type of engine you're talking about. My Warhounds actually gain very little from the Astorum traits as they're glass cannons and can often be taken out before they get a chance to repair. They'd benefit more from offensive buffs. But my Warlords get to be seriously tough, to the point where they are able to use their shields to protect Warhounds in a Regia maniple. Combining a tough Legio with a tough maniple certainly increases the effectiveness of all the buffs. You get a sort of exponential effect.

Regia is also great for Fureans as an offensive maniple because you can use offensive surge on them. 

Personally - and this is a hugely subjective call - I much prefer the official Legios. easons include transfers, which makes your engines look far better and good colour schemes. And on the table they're less cheesy than the self-made Legios can be.

The DIY legio rules do unfortunately let you pick and choose from the best abilities of official Legios, then add on some more powerful tricks they can't have, and that's the real problem. So for example I always have to use my Astorum rules no matter what titans I'm bringing, but with the legio-creation rules I could make a Legio that suited the titans I was bringing to each game. So if I was bringing a Forrex maniple maybe I'd take offensive surge or the Mortis War March strat, instead of having better repairs.

Thanks a lot guys; some really well thought out explanations in there. I'll recommend to wait for the book before tinkering with he DIY legions, especially as mandragola says it's super easy to tailor your rules to models available and can kind of super-charge the efficacy.

I'll see what I can do about a battle report for my first game. We always take tons of pictures, but they're more atmospheric than representative of turns or actions.

Looking good man. I really like the color blend you chose. Now comes the less exciting parts!

You're telling me lol. The trim and metal is driving me nuts, especially since I have to production line all my models at once. Can really suck the fun out of painting when the step feels never-ending.

Sure hope it does well. I'm thinking between orders and boosting, itll be able to get out of the arcs of his reaver and warbringer, worst case it can be a big distraction for the warhounds.

Between Ferrox, Humadru Savage and possibly a stratagem it'll put on the pain if it's not respected.

The blend looks great. If you're doing flames I really recommend drawing them on in pencil first to get the shapes right, unless you're using a template. It took me a lot of tries to get to where I'm happy with flame patterns and I can really tell my earlier attempts.

Personally I think one melee weapon is enough for a Reaver, but each to their own.

I free handed my warhound and I'm pretty satisfied with the result, but I will to some practice runs on paper instead of just busting it out cold like I did there.

And while I agree with you about the melee weapon in terms of efficacy, it's too cool looking to pass up. Also all I have is another melta and volcano cannon, I'd want a gatling or laser blaster to compliment the close range.

Back from a day of free hand and playing with transfers for the first time since my first ever box of marines lol. While micro sol and set did make the end result way better than back in the day, things like sliding the transfer off into the right position without tweezers all brought me right back. Might go back and redo the crotch-flames on the one reaver. I also went back and fixed all my links on the first page, so there's actual titans to see.

1060361-.jpg1060362-.jpg1060363-.jpg

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Really loving the menacing look, your work is brilliant.

Big thanks! I went for a stalking/hunting look on the dual chain reaver (Malice), but the end poses are often very dependent on how the magnets rest. Which is complete luck really lol

Great work on the flames. The end result is a pretty dark group of engines and they look very good.

Glad you think so even without the pencil method. The amount of black really has to do with me gluing the ankle plates on before painting and screwing up on some yellow blends. Anything that gets slopped over with metal colours or badly airbrushed got turned black lol. Looking at my Titans so far, I've used a ton of black, so my inevitable Warlord is going to be all yellow panels to make up for it lol.

Your yellows really are superb. You get a great gradient with the yellow/white mix.

...as for custom Legios, I'll always want to do my own for the opportunity to write my own fluff and design my own graphics. The rules are secondary to me, though I'm looking forward to the new DIY Legio rules in the next book.