SMM's Legio Fureans

Corsair is fully Reavers, though? Or are you using Solaria or such for swaps?

Corsair move is rarely important in the first turn. First Firing your Reavers is also quite iffy, since

a) they alone don't kill a Lord unless very lucky.

b) you are stuck at the backfield, easily out of effective arm guns' range to finish what the missiles started.

c) you're not moving, the enemy can waltz out of LoS or to encircle you.

I actually think you should seriously avoid first firing warp missiles on turn one. You're doing it immediately before their first repair phase, which means they've got a more than decent chance of repairing whatever you do. And of course, going on first fire and having your chainfist-armed Reaver stand still is pretty awful. I know you've got hounds to break shields as well but those don't tend to last too long. A reaver with just a melta is basically irrelevant if the enemy has shields.

The thing is, if you want to bring a Warlord's shields down, then three reavers with normal apocalypse missile launchers might well do it, especially if they're on first fire. They won't cause any crits in the process, but they can fire in subsequent turns as well. If you want an effective nova attack then, perhaps deliberately, the Nova Guard are a great option, able to pretty much fill the sky with missiles. Instead of one warp missile each one can fire 20 apocalypse missiles - which is pretty scary.

In all honesty I'm glad that warp missile tricks don't work. We shouldn't have the option to just kill an engine of our choice on turn one. This is a game about manoeuvre, managing activations, shields, reactors and so on - not of picking a broken combo to defeat your enemy without a chance. And that's a very good thing.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been slacking off in the last month and a half, though I have only finished the one model.

It is of course my warlord titan, The King in Yellow

1072526-.jpg

1072525-.jpg

1072527-.jpg

I uh... had done the fade on the middle shoulderplates upside down by accident, so I ended up making them black which actually worked out better in terms of contrast. You might notice the otherwise lack of black, flames and the bone helmet; this is all deliberate to make it feel a bit off. Also the helmet's a reference on its own. I do need to go and put some more work into the plasma weapon; my warhounds were at my buddies so I didn't have anything on-hand to reference.

Next up is a shot of the battle group I took a couple of weeks ago; 1072524-.jpg

The game ended in a win for me; The King in Yellow managed to severely cripple the opposing warlord in his opening salvo, letting Faelis Anima finish it off! However, the Stormlords' on death firing resulted in TKiY own destruction. 

Final pictures of our two battle groups squaring off;

1072528-.jpg1072523-.jpg

I also notice a bunch of my pictures' links have broken, I'll have to go back and line up the photos properly.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Beautiful work Brother :tu:

I love the subtle weathering and aging of the metals, your quality of colour on the panels is top notch too.

And those bases deserve a mention, the couple of human/TDA sized minis gives a fantastic scale to the whole project.

Well done.

(Where did you source your 6mm dudes from?)

Still can't see your pics, unfortunately. And I'm accessing the site from home so it's not a work restriction. I've tried changing some settings but to no avail.

No biggie, it's just frustrating to see the pics in your first post but not see the rest of your progress. Given the quality of the first Warhound, I was looking forward to seeing the subsequent Titans. Do you perhaps post them elsewhere? :)

@general zodd ya it's really on the nose for whoever gets the initial reference lol.

@interrogator stobz thanks! The yellow takes some time to build the transitions properly, but the metal is just mostly leadbelcher or iron hands steel, brown washed and then hit with the same enamel streak effects the rest of the model gets. The trim is iron warriors with your mithril equivalent highlight. Reminds me to do some additional work on the piston and such though.

@dosjetka I usually just port over from Facebook, but after work today I'll download everything, upload them to an actual hosting site and fix all the broken links. It's definitely on my end of things.

Alrighty, hopefully I fixed all the broken links. It seems everything I just quick-linked from facebook died over time compared to the first post's images that were hosted somewhere else.

Also Interrogator Stobz, most of my 6mm infantry are from vanguard miniatures with some of the vehicles being epic models and the dead armiger and tyrant terminator being 3d prints. Vanguard make some nice stuff, but the shipping time and lack of tracking to Canada is frankly not worth it.

Thanks guys, the 6mm dudes are mostly from Vanguard schoon.

I had a bit of a revelation about charge orders. I had previously thought it added +1 to the attack roll; smash attacks being d3+1. But some of the new custom traits and a rereading of charge made me realize the smash attack would be 2d3 instead. This is important for later.

Me and my buddy tried the new custom legio rules from Ryza last night. He took the additional ceramite plating, macro charges, vanguard titans and the thing that lets you use adaptive tactics every turn. I was traitor and took armoured spikes and macro charges for gear and engines of war and the one that gives melee titans better WS and the ability to add +1 die when charging in addition to the other bonus charge dice. I also put one of the new stratagems on my reaver Malice, who historically has had double chainfist (this game he had a single one and melta cannon). Well I might as well have not given him any real weapons, because charging with armoured spikes,ferrox bonus, +1 ws and +1 attack die, and hitting 6-9" of move gave him more than enough attacks. Malice was able to kill a warhound and his warlord both from full structural integrity. He got a whopping smash 19 attacks against the warlord.

Needless to say, malice was MVP.

Nice, but there’s no way to get anywhere near 19 smash attacks.

You get 1 extra attack for every 3” you move with whatever weapon you use (only one Weapon) - not an extra d3. So charging 9” gives you the base d3 smash attacks and 3 others - so d3+3, for between 4 and 6 attacks.

It is D3... though it doesn't matter. It doesn't say to multiply your dice value by X, it says to add X to your dice value. If you're adding 2 to D3 you get D3+2, not D3x2 or D3x3. You wouldn't multiply the number of attacks by a weapon like a chainfist with a set number of attacks, and neither do you multiply the number when using a weapon with a random number.

I don't think this is particularly unclear, and I've never heard of anyone using the multiplying theory. Don't you think it would be odd if they actually intended for a reaver to get to kick a target 19 times? Things that sound too good to be true usually are not true (or at least they get FAQd when GW has messed up).

So if the attack dice value is the d3 (and not the result of the d3 roll) and you're instructed to add to the attack's dice value then it would be an additional d3.

I'm more interested in what the mechanics of the game actually allow than what the common belief is; 30k is full of weird interactions that people shout down because they believe it works differently. A good example for AT is the fureans blank reactor roll counting as awakened; the designer allegedly claims that you don't generate reactor heat on the blank roll and go right to the command test, but mechanically you have to take reactor heat before rolling the test.

At the end of the day it is ambiguous as to what is the attack dice value; I don't mind playing it either way.

It's not ambiguous (for once). Your dice characteristic is just a number, telling you how many attacks to make. So 1 for a bellicosa, 6 for a gatling, 2 for a power fist and D3 for a slam. If you add 1 to any of those results you get 2, 7, 3 or D3+1. You do not get 1, 12, 4 or 2D3. Addition and multiplication are not the same thing.

When I asked you if the dice value was the d3 itself or the resulting roll, you answered with the d3. That's a dice in of itself; instructions to add dice to the value would result in additional d3s.

Another, perfectly valid, interpretation is that the result of the d3 is the dice value; this is what you're arguing for essentially.

Again I don't really care which is used, but it's not unequivocal; at best you're making an assumption. At this point though I doubt we'll convince each other; we can take it to PMs if you want to continue though.

On different topic, I feel like some of the custom legio things are a bit auto-take. Or it's the problem of tailoring every rule possible to accommodate your build. Macro charges is wildly unnecessary by giving 3" blasts +1 strength and making them 5"; plasma blastguns, meltas and volcano cannons all get way better. Theres stabilizers for warlords and warbringers that let them autopass first/split fire and make them immune to concussive. Stuff that's very strong and very spoilery if you know what your opponent takes.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Just diving in to add my two penn’orth. Mandragola is spot on, you add a single attack die to the attack characteristic of the chosen weapon for every 3” charged. By Skimaskmohawk’s interpretation of the rule, you would divide the distance charged by 3, then multiply that number by the attacks characteristic of the chosen weapon. That is definitely not how charging works, irrespective of whether you’re conducting Smash attacks, or using a dedicated melee weapon.

The rules for charging say you "add 1 to the attack's Dice value for each full 3" ". Dice is capitalised so it's the characteristic called Dice in the weapon profile, as opposed to the (little d) dice which happens to be in this weapon's profile.

So the number of attack Dice (aka To Hit rolls) changes from a simple d3 to d3+(1 per 3"), as opposed to (1 per 3")d3 or d(3+(1 per 3"))

• 3 months later...

It's been a long while since I posted, and that's mostly because I haven't painted anything new. I have got a ton more games in and they all seem to have the same thing in common (and I've mentioned it before here); the games are madhouses of silly things happening. They've all come down to the last turn or two and the last unit or two of our respective battle groups.

The game I had last night started looking like this:

1085133-.jpg

And ended on turn 6 looking like this:

1085136-.jpg

You can see that almost all the ruins are gone, as are most of our forces. Out of the 10 titans, 9 died and 6 of those rolled Catastrophic Meltdown!!! Turn 3 saw a cascade of dead engines and changing plans.

We've also come up with a few more house rules over time. The ruins can be used by knights to basically hide in and always get an ion shield save, but they also prevent and Melee attacks through them; Titans can just bust through and remove the piece but take Leg armour on a d6 of 1 or 2, as can blasts whose hole lands over the ruin. The blast mechanic also works on trees/foliage/other scatter terrain like vehicles. We also have been trying a mechanic of upgrading a battlefield asset like macro cannon mobile platform that can move 5" in the strategy phase before firing for in 1 additional strategy point, allowing us to use things like  super heavies in our games.

Speaking of which, I finished a legion glaive in a recreation of my full sized iron warriors model:

1085135-.jpg1085134-.jpg

I used it as the mobile macro cannon; he got to make one move before a scattered Bellicosa shot killed it on turn 1...such is the curse of new model syndrome.