Sarlevin Crusade: Jump pack Chaplain WIP!

Dosjetka

gallery_45765_11834_406918.png

+ Warriors of the Sarlevin Crusade on Anara XVII, 902.M36 +

med_gallery_45765_11834_705789.png

+ Crusade badge of the Sarlevin Crusade, 902-910.M36, illustrated by Artifex-Primus Domyn Iqtchan +

+ Thought of the Day: You carry the Emperor's Will as your Torch, with it Destroy the Shadows. +

+ + +

Welcome to my latest hobby project and return to one of my first loves in the Warhammer 40'000 universe: the Black Templars!

The very first Codex I bought when I got into the hobby around 2007 was the 4th Edition Black Templars one and while both Warhammer 40'000 has moved on since then, I find it to be a fantastic ressource for any Black Templar fan, especially when building a "historical" force that isn't designed to fit in the current (i.e. M42) timeline.

Below you can see the results of my first serious attempt at a Black Templars army.

gallery_45765_11834_267074.png

A meeting of B&C staff members had been set for June 2018 and I didn't want to turn up without any painted models! My initial plan was to build and paint 500 points of Black Templars but unfortunately I never got that far, only managing the above before burning out. That said, they still look good two years later and I'd like to both touch up a few issues present on these models (even though I loathe going back to work on completed models) and expand this force into something I can actually use in larger games.

The two main issues are:

• I used some spray can varnish on them and four models got at least partially coated in a fine grey layer of varnish; I'd very much like to fix that with a bit of Nuln Oil to darken the grey areas.
  • The Assault Marines don't have the correct shoulder pad trim colour (i.e. red); I need to fix this ASAP!

Now, after that's fixed, I'm looking at ways to expand the force. Since it is set in the murky years of M36 shortly after the 6th Black Crusade, there will be no Primaris Marines in this force.

I already had a few models earmarked for service within my Crusade and those will no doubt be the first candidates for a slap of paint. Below you can see a non-exhaustive collection of models that shall receive the black and white colours of the Templars.

gallery_45765_11834_330053.png

The old school models that have paint on them will be stripped and repainted. The rest are either already WIP or need to be started on from scratch.

To help me organise myself and my collection, here are a couple of lists containing models I have and wish to add to my Templars and models I don't have but wish to purchase, assemble, and paint. I'll try and prioritise the models I already have but there's unfortunately no guarantee of this: I'm a bit of an implusive buyer and hoarder, and I get distracted quite easily. :sweat:

Models I own and wish to add to the Sarlevin Crusade forces:

• Chapter Master Marshal in Terminator armour with storm bolter and relic blade
  • Captain Castellan in power armour with storm bolter and power sword
  • Two Emperor's Champions (perhaps three, depends on the number of Fighting Companies I end up going with)
  • At least two Chaplains
  • Apothecary in power armour with bolt pistol and chainsword
  • Lieutenant Sword Brother in power armour with master-crafted boltgun and power sword (the old Castellant Dracos model)
  • At least three Sergeants Sword Brethren with various wargear options to lead my Crusader Squads
  • Some more Initiates (at least seven, with bolt pistol and chainsword)
  • Some Neophytes (at least six, with bolt pistol and chainsword/combat blade)
  • Some Sword Brethren (at least one squad equipped with power armour & jump packs and another equipped Terminator armour in the "Assault" configuration)
  • Bike Squad (with at least three bikes)
  • At least one more Dreadnought
  • Thunderfire Cannon
  • Land Speeder Storm
  • Rhino
  • Razorback
  • Predator
  • Two Land Raiders

Models I wish to purchase to add to the Sarlevin Crusade forces:

• Chaplain on Bike
  • Attack Bike to add to the Bike Squad
  • At least one more Predator
  • A Vindicator or two

Of course, neither of these two lists is exhaustive. :biggrin.:

Anyway, thank you for having a look and I'll be back soon with some progress. :thumbsup:

gallery_45765_11834_406918.png

+ Warriors of the Sarlevin Crusade on Anara XVII, 902.M36 +

med_gallery_45765_11834_705789.png

+ Crusade badge of the Sarlevin Crusade, 902-910.M36, illustrated by Artifex-Primus Domyn Iqtchan +

+ Thought of the Day: You carry the Emperor's Will as your Torch, with it Destroy the Shadows. +

+ + +

Welcome to my latest hobby project and return to one of my first loves in the Warhammer 40'000 universe: the Black Templars!

The very first Codex I bought when I got into the hobby around 2007 was the 4th Edition Black Templars one and while both Warhammer 40'000 has moved on since then, I find it to be a fantastic ressource for any Black Templar fan, especially when building a "historical" force that isn't designed to fit in the current (i.e. M42) timeline.

Below you can see the results of my first serious attempt at a Black Templars army.

gallery_45765_11834_267074.png

A meeting of B&C staff members had been set for June 2018 and I didn't want to turn up without any painted models! My initial plan was to build and paint 500 points of Black Templars but unfortunately I never got that far, only managing the above before burning out. That said, they still look good two years later and I'd like to both touch up a few issues present on these models (even though I loathe going back to work on completed models) and expand this force into something I can actually use in larger games.

The two main issues are:

• I used some spray can varnish on them and four models got at least partially coated in a fine grey layer of varnish; I'd very much like to fix that with a bit of Nuln Oil to darken the grey areas.
  • The Assault Marines don't have the correct shoulder pad trim colour (i.e. red); I need to fix this ASAP!
Now, after that's fixed, I'm looking at ways to expand the force. Since it is set in the murky years of M36 shortly after the 6th Black Crusade, there will be no Primaris Marines in this force.

I already had a few models earmarked for service within my Crusade and those will no doubt be the first candidates for a slap of paint. Below you can see a non-exhaustive collection of models that shall receive the black and white colours of the Templars.

gallery_45765_11834_330053.png

The old school models that have paint on them will be stripped and repainted. The rest are either already WIP or need to be started on from scratch.

To help me organise myself and my collection, here are a couple of lists containing models I have and wish to add to my Templars and models I don't have but wish to purchase, assemble, and paint. I'll try and prioritise the models I already have but there's unfortunately no guarantee of this: I'm a bit of an implusive buyer and hoarder, and I get distracted quite easily. :sweat:

Models I own and wish to add to the Sarlevin Crusade forces:

• Chapter Master Marshal in Terminator armour with storm bolter and relic blade
  • Captain Castellan in power armour with storm bolter and power sword
  • Two Emperor's Champions (perhaps three, depends on the number of Fighting Companies I end up going with)
  • At least two Chaplains
  • Apothecary in power armour with bolt pistol and chainsword
  • Lieutenant Sword Brother in power armour with master-crafted boltgun and power sword (the old Castellant Dracos model)
  • At least three Sergeants Sword Brethren with various wargear options to lead my Crusader Squads
  • Some more Initiates (at least seven, with bolt pistol and chainsword)
  • Some Neophytes (at least six, with bolt pistol and chainsword/combat blade)
  • Some Sword Brethren (at least one squad equipped with power armour & jump packs and another equipped Terminator armour in the "Assault" configuration)
  • Bike Squad (with at least three bikes)
  • At least one more Dreadnought
  • Thunderfire Cannon
  • Land Speeder Storm
  • Rhino
  • Razorback
  • Predator
  • Two Land Raiders
Models I wish to purchase to add to the Sarlevin Crusade forces:
  • Chaplain on Bike
  • Attack Bike to add to the Bike Squad
  • At least one more Predator
  • A Vindicator or two
Of course, neither of these two lists is exhaustive. :D

Anyway, thank you for having a look and I'll be back soon with some progress. :tu:

They look lovely, and I am sorely jealous of your little fluff injection, definitely looking forward to taking these ideas to my own crusade!..

But before someone else says it! Captains are Marshals and Lieutenants are Castellans. Black Templar Chapter Masters are called High Marshals, and ours is Helbrecht!

Hey wait a minute, is that the Dread that punched my poor beleaguered Alpha Legion to death repeatedly?

Dragonlover

I'm glad you remember that: it is indeed! :devil:

The completed models look great! I remember those Templars from a while ago, not sure if I replied to the thread though. Look forward to new models added to the army! 

Thank you! I did post them here a couple of years ago but then my interest waned and I dabbled in other projects. Hopefully I can my efforts focussed with this one. :tu:

They look lovely, and I am sorely jealous of your little fluff injection, definitely looking forward to taking these ideas to my own crusade!..

But before someone else says it! Captains are Marshals and Lieutenants are Castellans. Black Templar Chapter Masters are called High Marshals, and ours is Helbrecht!

Cheers!

And I know that the traditional equivalencies are the ones you've posted but since I'll most likely never field High Marshal Helbrecht in my army (he's not even born!) nor use his rules, the most powerful generic HQ model I have access to in Codex: Space Marines is the Chapter Master; in my army, it's my Marshal, therefore I'll count my Marshal as a Chapter Master, Castellans as Captain, and Sword Brethren who are given command over smaller forces as Lieutenants. I hope that clears up any confusion. :)

I remember 3ed jump packers had none of that red pansy shoulderpad stuff. We're no ork who thinks it makes him go fasta!

But seriously nice models!

Ah, but I'm a 4th Edition kiddo so what came before doesn't concern me. ;) More seriously, I didn't realise this was the case but I think I like the idea of marking assault elements with a slightly different scheme. Adds a bit of visual interest and is a nice in-between regular Initiates and Sword Brethren. :)

Thank you for your comment!

Progress!

I've painted the Assault Squad's shoulder pad rims red:

gallery_45765_15430_338259.png

I've realised that I should add a proper Sword Brother model equipped with a power weapon to the unit but that can wait until I get other things painted. In the meantime, the Initiate with two close combat weapons (front and centre) plays the role of the Sergeant/Sword Brother.

I've also started re-painting the shoulder pads on the Sword Brother model I would like to add to the Crusader Squad in the first post:

gallery_45765_15430_193540.png

So far only one shoulder pad has been painted but I'm happy with the result. I also need to finish the rest of the model (pouches, metallics, purity seals, power axe blade, Crusade badge) once I've painted the other shoulder pad.

Finally, I took the time to try and fix some of the varnish frosting on three Initiates and my Chaplain. It's not perfect but they look less grey which can only be a good thing. :)

Thank you for having a look and I'll be back soon with more progress. :tu:

Thank you, folks!

Almost done with the Sword Brother that will lead the first Crusader Squad:

gallery_45765_15430_287062.png

Just need to finish the base and paint the rim.

While waiting for the basing slop to dry, I started painting my Emperor's Champion:

gallery_45765_15430_208122.png

Need to keep painting! :woot:

A bit more progress on the Emperor's Champion.

gallery_45765_15430_132160.png

gallery_45765_15430_131740.png

Forge World's Imperial Fists Champion (whose body I stole for my EC kitbash) is a real joy to paint; so many fantastic and fine details. Also, I realise that the sword is the Black Sword but I was afraid I wouldn't do the black any justice and that it wouldn't stand out as much as a blue-ish one. That said, I tried to keep the flat part of the blade quite dark and while I'm not 100% happy with it it's good enough so I'll focus on the rest of the model and get it finished. :tu:

Think that's the first time I've seen a beakie EC

Yeah, it's a bit of a "love it or hate it" choice but, as you say, it appears to be quite unique so that's a nice added bonus to the fact that I quite like it, too. :)

Thank you for having a look and I'll be back soon with some more progress (hopefully Friday). :D

• 1 year later...

After a long while of not touching any paint brushes, I've been motivated enough to paint the last two Initiates for my Crusader Squad and finishing the paint job on the accompanying Rhino. I'm really chuffed with the result; even managed to create a little photo-scene to showcase the units using my local club's retro Ork models and scenery.

gallery_45765_15430_1110704.png

Side note: this is the first time since starting this hobby about 15 years ago that I've managed to 100% complete a unit. Chuffed to bits. :biggrin.:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments and likes, folks. :)

Forging ahead with my Black Templars; first 750 points completed!

gallery_45765_15430_188439.png

Most of these were already completed or partially painted, but this is the first time they're all together in their 100% painted form as game-legal units. :biggrin.:

A Razorback, an Initiate with jump pack, and a Chaplain with jump pack to go before hitting the 1000-point mark; needs to be done by Friday!