Why/how did Fantasy Flight Games lose their 40k license?

Arendious

So, what again was the point of not renewing the FFG licence only to outsource again to a smaller company with less resources? I'm certain Crucible 7 isn't able to pay anywhere near as much in IP fees.

Though, thinking about it, if GW got early information that FFG was winding down all RPGs, then maybe that makes a little sense.

So, what again was the point of not renewing the FFG licence only to outsource again to a smaller company with less resources? I'm certain Crucible 7 isn't able to pay anywhere near as much in IP fees.

Though, thinking about it, if GW got early information that FFG was winding down all RPGs, then maybe that makes a little sense.

The fact is that FFG has come into the wargame market (for example with Star Wars Legion) and that puts it in competition with GW. Still I do not understand why to make a new game while the best way to go was a Dark Heresy 3rd ed or still something based on the same d100 system, loved by everyone and converted by players in every kind of way possible for every kind of setting.

Urgh, the System was the worst part of Dark Heresy et al. Which were otherwise amazing books.

FFG lost their licence because they started making wargames, which apparently violated some clauses in their licence so GW yanked it. Which kinda makes sense for GW so FFG arent using their IP to get people interested in directly competing products, but y'know that Star Wars is quite well known :biggrin.:

Edited by Noserenda

Urgh, the System was the worst part of Dark Heresy et al. Which were otherwise amazing books.

care to explain how? what's wrong with the "roll under your relevant skill/stat on a d100" style system?

outside of the eventual bloat of all the FFG 40K RPGs and their extra fluff books combined and how they interconnected(but not really?), type of issues; because that applies to a lot of RPGs once they get enough supplements that need cross-referencing.

Edited by RipOffProductions

care to explain how? what's wrong with the "roll under your relevant skill/stat on a d100" style system?

outside of the eventual bloat of all the FFG 40K RPGs and their extra fluff books combined and how they interconnected(but not really?), type of issues; because that applies to a lot of RPGs once they get enough supplements that need cross-referencing.

Well yes when you strip it down to the core mechanic it IS a lot more elegant :D The system was rife with bad complexity and the inevitable imbalance that comes with it, especially in some of the classes where there was a real tier difference it seemed as the game went on. The fluff was amazing though and lots of new interesting toys and gadgets throughout. I havent looked at the new system because my RPG groups exploded a while back due to middle aged scheduling issues but id hope it leant more in the direction of D&D 5 or the new 7th sea tbh.

I have a vague notion the license was not renewed because of something to do with the new direction GW took in regard to the Imperium Nihilus etc, Is there any detail or insider info that corroborates the modelling/wargame aspect to the decision?  I'd be interested to know how big a part that played.

As to how W&G actually plays, we have a great post here, that may shed some light.

MR.

I still think FFG's purchase by Asmodee was a major part to it.  They're a much bigger competitor to GW and I imagine GW didn't want to have to go through them to contract with FFG.  So when it came time to renew contracts, they simply pulled out.  All just my personal theories though.

This is the best theory of why they split that I've heard.