Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saga of the Terminator trials

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,637 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Love the testing going on here :D In 9th, I believe that plasmas will always cause the wielder to die on an unmodified 1, so the +1 to hit doesn't help. Did you see that?

Yes the unmodified 1 explosion is a nerf to the combo.

However, it is still worth taking IMO. You just need to decide whether overcharge is needed at the time.

I will have to revisit everything due to point changes in 9th

With the introduction of eradicators in 9th the terminators may be able to shift target priorities

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Gherrick

Gherrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,292 posts

Yeah, im planning on bringing a 10 model TDAWG unit with a mix of SS and PF, but all with SB. I might even include a heavy weapon, but not sure yet on that. It makes for a good use of the transhuman strat, and it will be able to both be a major threat and tank in the midfield when i drop them turn 2 :)

The Saint Ragnar

The Saint Ragnar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 309 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka (Space Wolves)
I think the big change will be to pop the Strategem when firing both profiles. Even if you don't want to spend the CP you can still fire both profiles more confidently now given we feel it is going to an unmodified hit roll of 1s. I think it will definitely shift their target priority to more infantry clearing than tank hunting which is how I always felt they should roll. Hunting the more elites of the enemy army than the tanks as that will give them more glory when they get the kill.
  • TiguriusX likes this

For Russ and the AllFather!

Armies Played:

Space Wolves - ~3,000 Points

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_04_.jpg

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,637 posts
I'm seeing terminators pop up more in online reviews of SW units for 9th

I see most articles suggesting combi melta over combi plasma

I will be the contrarian and keep leaning on plasma for now

A combi melta has a limit of 12". To me that greatly limits your tactical flexibility.

Plasma is dangerous but doesn't always have to be overcharged. You can safe fire and still destroy most targets.

Plasma range of 24" also synergizes well with the bolter profile for hosing down infantry when combi firing and using keen senses to avoid the penalty

Remember you cant split targets for a single combi weapon...you need to have specific models declare their entire combi fire to different units if you want to shoot multiple targets

*note...my list uses 2 3-man squads of eradicators on the hunt for anti tank duty...so the loss of terminator melta doesn't concern me

Edited by TiguriusX, 28 July 2020 - 05:08 PM.

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

ETL-2019

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka
I think you’ve got it right. I’d suggest adding a lord nearby to give them re roll 1’s when you want to overcharge.
*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,637 posts

I have settled on my 9th edition Terminator Trials list 1.0

Link to the army section post here

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/365710-saga-of-the-terminator-trials-9th-edition/

Now I just need free time to give it a spin and I can write up my reports

• Valerian likes this

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,637 posts

I had these reports in the ARMY LIST forum...updating here

Having trouble piloting this list as I learn 9th edition. 

I am currently 0-2 in my first 9th edition RTT (also my first ever 9th edition games)

One of the biggest nuances I have picked up is the game is like whack a mole centered on objectives

Hiding/protecting a unit out of LOS and only revealing the minimum amount to kill and steal an objective is a different style of play I need to adjust to

In my 2 matches so far I have unleashed my terminators too early for bad trades (easy to see in hind sight...unable to forecast during actual game)

Game 1 (Battle lines...I went 2nd)

45-87 v Wulfen SW army with a scorpius 

Spoiler

I played scared and basically fell back from the middle objectives instead of standing my ground.  While I was able to mow down his wulfen doing this (and using tenebrous curse to slow his lines from closing the gap) I lost valuable time to score primary objectives.

I scored 5-5-5-10 with regards to primary

I also blew my secondary by taking linebreaker and being unable to get there at all.  My opponent left front line combat units back to zone me out and deny me points.  Since I hadn't really pushed his front lines he didn't pay the price for it.

I did get my deploy scramblers but that was basically it.

My brain was playing 8th edition instead of 9th edition.  Now that there are no kill or kill more points I should have been sacrificing units and focusing on the objectives above all else.

When I brought the terminators in i also had little room to work with and dropped in a bad position

Main lesson I took away...I need to be WAY more aggressive and get those primary points

Game 2 (Sweep and Clear...I went 2nd)

78-92 v Custodes

Spoiler

My goal was to be more aggressive...turns out I went too far

This was also a unique mission called sweep and clear that benefited my opponent.  

Usually custodes are outnumbered and can't spread out to play the objective game....however.  There is a special rule for this 1 mission that you keep an objective even though you move away from it

I also had never seen the special secondary for this map either.  In the future I will also pick it every time.  Basically it forces you to fight over the center objective.  All you need to do is control at the end of YOUR turn to get points.

This was the match where I learned the whack a mole style.

On turn 1 I pushed my terminators aggressively forward instead of keeping them as a counter strike unit.

The overwhelming firepower of terminators + leviathan was not needed for the single unit I could fire at.

On his turn he killed off my terminators and I didn't get value from them.

I should have played more cagey with them

I was able to score much better on the primary objectives but I need to adjust and find a better balance between aggressive and kamikaze 

Highlight of the game was a unit of eradicators rolling 6 for damage to erase Trajan after he had eaten a morkai bolt to open the shooting phase (trajan has 7 wounds total)

Will keep testing and report back when this pod experience is over (1 more match in this pod and I am signed up for another pod trial run too)

I modified my terminator list after getting hands on experience with 9th.

In order to play the whack a mole game I need more mobility 

Here is the terminator remix

Spoiler

Reasons behind the changes

Spoiler

The modified list performed very well in the debut and I got my 1st competitive 9th edition win (took me 3 games...1-2 tournament record now)

Batrep v Harlequins

T5S2 Vital Information mission

His list

Spoiler

BATREP

Spoiler

Edited by TiguriusX, 23 September 2020 - 03:13 PM.

• svane jotunsbane, QuarterPounder and GrFlur like this

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,637 posts

I am currently playing 3 online tournaments (1 battle per week) each with a different list as hone my 9th edition skills

One of the tournaments I am running my modified terminator saga list.  The terminators are now a supplementary unit instead of the center piece.

My list

Spoiler

List explanation

Spoiler

Round 1 Surround and Destroy v Custodes

His list

Spoiler

BATREP

Spoiler

*Update*

Today I learned my list is illegal.  Apparently the Munitorum Field Manual changed the scorpius from an ELITE to a HEAVY.
I have had to adjust my list.

I am likely removing arjac and the terminators to add double eradicators and an extra judiciar.

My opponent was very gracious and said no need to rematch with a corrected list.  He is satisfied with the result.

Unfortunately this list no longer contains any terminators so I will cut this saga short for now.

Edited by TiguriusX, 01 October 2020 - 03:59 AM.

• GrFlur likes this

ETL-2019

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users