Saga of the Terminator trials

TiguriusX

Love the testing going on here :D In 9th, I believe that plasmas will always cause the wielder to die on an unmodified 1, so the +1 to hit doesn't help. Did you see that?

Yes the unmodified 1 explosion is a nerf to the combo.

However, it is still worth taking IMO. You just need to decide whether overcharge is needed at the time.

I will have to revisit everything due to point changes in 9th

With the introduction of eradicators in 9th the terminators may be able to shift target priorities

Yeah, im planning on bringing a 10 model TDAWG unit with a mix of SS and PF, but all with SB. I might even include a heavy weapon, but not sure yet on that. It makes for a good use of the transhuman strat, and it will be able to both be a major threat and tank in the midfield when i drop them turn 2 :)

I think the big change will be to pop the Strategem when firing both profiles. Even if you don't want to spend the CP you can still fire both profiles more confidently now given we feel it is going to an unmodified hit roll of 1s. I think it will definitely shift their target priority to more infantry clearing than tank hunting which is how I always felt they should roll. Hunting the more elites of the enemy army than the tanks as that will give them more glory when they get the kill.

I'm seeing terminators pop up more in online reviews of SW units for 9th

I see most articles suggesting combi melta over combi plasma

I will be the contrarian and keep leaning on plasma for now

A combi melta has a limit of 12". To me that greatly limits your tactical flexibility.

Plasma is dangerous but doesn't always have to be overcharged. You can safe fire and still destroy most targets.

Plasma range of 24" also synergizes well with the bolter profile for hosing down infantry when combi firing and using keen senses to avoid the penalty

Remember you cant split targets for a single combi weapon...you need to have specific models declare their entire combi fire to different units if you want to shoot multiple targets

*note...my list uses 2 3-man squads of eradicators on the hunt for anti tank duty...so the loss of terminator melta doesn't concern me

Edited by TiguriusX

I have settled on my 9th edition Terminator Trials list 1.0

Link to the army section post here

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/365710-saga-of-the-terminator-trials-9th-edition/

Now I just need free time to give it a spin and I can write up my reports

• 1 month later...

I had these reports in the ARMY LIST forum...updating here

Having trouble piloting this list as I learn 9th edition.

I am currently 0-2 in my first 9th edition RTT (also my first ever 9th edition games)

One of the biggest nuances I have picked up is the game is like whack a mole centered on objectives

Hiding/protecting a unit out of LOS and only revealing the minimum amount to kill and steal an objective is a different style of play I need to adjust to

In my 2 matches so far I have unleashed my terminators too early for bad trades (easy to see in hind sight...unable to forecast during actual game)

Game 1 (Battle lines...I went 2nd)

45-87 v Wulfen SW army with a scorpius

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [99 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)
Detachment CP
+ HQ +
Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf [6 PL, 140pts]: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf [7 PL, 150pts]: Storm shield, Thunder hammer, Warlord
Wolf Priest [6 PL, 105pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Tale of the Wolf King and the Lord of the Deeps
+ Troops +
Grey Hunters [6 PL, 75pts]: 4x Chainsword
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Chainsword
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
Incursors [5 PL, 105pts]: Incursor Sergeant
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
Incursors [5 PL, 105pts]: Incursor Sergeant
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
+ Elites +
Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 168pts]
. Dreadnought melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter
. Twin lascannon
Relic Whirlwind Scorpius [12 PL, 235pts]: Scorpius multi-launcher
Wulfen [8 PL, 226pts]
. 4x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer
. 4x Wulfen
. Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws
Wulfen [8 PL, 226pts]
. 4x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer
. 4x Wulfen
. Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws
+ Fast Attack +
Skyclaws [13 PL, 157pts]
. 5x Skyclaw: 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Jump Pack
. Skyclaw Pack Leader: Bolt pistol, Power fist
. Wolf Guard Sky Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Thunderwolf Cavalry [7 PL, 188pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Wolf claw
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Wolf claw
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
+ Heavy Support +
Long Fangs [7 PL, 120pts]
. Long Fang: Plasma cannon
. Long Fang Pack Leader: Chainsword
. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol
++ Total: [99 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I played scared and basically fell back from the middle objectives instead of standing my ground. While I was able to mow down his wulfen doing this (and using tenebrous curse to slow his lines from closing the gap) I lost valuable time to score primary objectives.

I scored 5-5-5-10 with regards to primary

I also blew my secondary by taking linebreaker and being unable to get there at all. My opponent left front line combat units back to zone me out and deny me points. Since I hadn't really pushed his front lines he didn't pay the price for it.

I did get my deploy scramblers but that was basically it.

My brain was playing 8th edition instead of 9th edition. Now that there are no kill or kill more points I should have been sacrificing units and focusing on the objectives above all else.

When I brought the terminators in i also had little room to work with and dropped in a bad position

Main lesson I took away...I need to be WAY more aggressive and get those primary points

Game 2 (Sweep and Clear...I went 2nd)

78-92 v Custodes

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [85 PL, 1,650pts, -1CP] ++
+ Configuration +
Detachment CP
Shield Host: Shadowkeepers
+ HQ [19 PL, 365pts, -1CP] +
Captain-General Trajann Valoris [10 PL, 190pts]: Misericordia, Watcher's Axe
Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 175pts, -1CP]: Captain-Commander [-1CP], Hurricane Bolter, Interceptor Lance, Superior Creation, Unstoppable Destroyer
. Auric Aquilis: Relic of Terra
. Warlord: Warlord
+ Troops [12 PL, 200pts] +
Sagittarum Custodians [12 PL, 200pts]
. Sagittarum Custodian [50pts]: Adrastus Bolt Caliver
+ Elites [26 PL, 525pts] +
Aquilon Custodians [20 PL, 400pts]
. Aquilon Custodian [4 PL, 80pts]: Lastrum Storm Bolter, Solarite power Gauntlet [5pts]
. Aquilon Custodian [4 PL, 80pts]: Lastrum Storm Bolter, Solarite power Gauntlet [5pts]
Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 125pts]: Storm Shield [10pts], Vexilla Magnifica [30pts]
+ Fast Attack [14 PL, 300pts] +
Venatari Custodians [14 PL, 300pts]
. Venatari Custodian [3 PL, 60pts]
. . Kinetic Destroyer and Tarsus Buckler [5pts]: Kinetic Destroyer, Tarsus Buckler [5pts]
. . Kinetic Destroyer and Tarsus Buckler [5pts]: Kinetic Destroyer, Tarsus Buckler [5pts]
+ Heavy Support [14 PL, 260pts] +
Telemon Heavy Dreadnought [14 PL, 260pts]: Illiastus Accelerator Culverin [25pts], Illiastus Accelerator Culverin [25pts], Spiculus Bolt Launcher [10pts]
++ Auxiliary Support Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [15 PL, 350pts, 10CP] ++
+ Configuration [10CP] +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]
Detachment CP [-2CP]
+ Elites [15 PL, 350pts] +
Allarus Custodians [15 PL, 350pts]
. Allarus Custodian [3 PL, 70pts]: Ballistus Grenade Launcher, Castellan Axe [10pts]
. Allarus Custodian [3 PL, 70pts]: Ballistus Grenade Launcher, Castellan Axe [10pts]
++ Total: [100 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

My goal was to be more aggressive...turns out I went too far

This was also a unique mission called sweep and clear that benefited my opponent.

Usually custodes are outnumbered and can't spread out to play the objective game....however. There is a special rule for this 1 mission that you keep an objective even though you move away from it

I also had never seen the special secondary for this map either. In the future I will also pick it every time. Basically it forces you to fight over the center objective. All you need to do is control at the end of YOUR turn to get points.

This was the match where I learned the whack a mole style.

On turn 1 I pushed my terminators aggressively forward instead of keeping them as a counter strike unit.

The overwhelming firepower of terminators + leviathan was not needed for the single unit I could fire at.

On his turn he killed off my terminators and I didn't get value from them.

I should have played more cagey with them

I was able to score much better on the primary objectives but I need to adjust and find a better balance between aggressive and kamikaze

Highlight of the game was a unit of eradicators rolling 6 for damage to erase Trajan after he had eaten a morkai bolt to open the shooting phase (trajan has 7 wounds total)

Will keep testing and report back when this pod experience is over (1 more match in this pod and I am signed up for another pod trial run too)

I modified my terminator list after getting hands on experience with 9th.

In order to play the whack a mole game I need more mobility

Here is the terminator remix

Warlord-Judiciar
All other items TBD in muster stage (relics/stratagems/spells/etc.)
++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [59 PL, 12CP, 1,181pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]
Detachment CP
+ HQ [12 PL, 225pts] +
Ragnar Blackmane [7 PL, 125pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Frostfang
Rune Priest in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 100pts]: 1) Shrouding, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak [2pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Runic sword, Smite, The Armour of Russ
+ Troops [6 PL, 120pts] +
Infiltrators [6 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Infilltrator [96pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant [24pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine
+ Elites [9 PL, 190pts] +
Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. Bladeguard Veteran [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield
Judiciar [4 PL, 85pts]: Absolver Bolt Pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades, Saga of the Hunter, Warlord
+ Fast Attack [2 PL, 30pts] +
Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]
. Cyberwolf [15pts]: Teeth and claws
+ Heavy Support [23 PL, 485pts] +
Eradicator Squad [5 PL, 120pts]
. 2x Eradicator [80pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Melta rifle
. Eradicator Sgt [40pts]: Bolt pistol, Melta rifle
Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [18 PL, 365pts]: 2x Heavy flamer [30pts], 3x Hunter-killer missile [15pts], Storm cannon array [50pts], Storm cannon array [50pts]
+ Dedicated Transport [7 PL, 131pts] +
Impulsor [7 PL, 131pts]: 2x Storm Bolters [6pts], Shield Dome [25pts]
++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [46 PL, -2CP, 818pts] ++
+ Configuration [-2CP] +
Detachment CP [-2CP]
+ HQ [6 PL, 100pts] +
Ulrik The Slayer [6 PL, 100pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Tale of the Wolf King and the Lord of the Deeps
+ Troops [6 PL, 80pts] +
Blood Claws [6 PL, 80pts]
. 4x Blood Claw [60pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Blood Claw Pack Leader [20pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Power axe [5pts]
+ Elites [17 PL, 343pts] +
Murderfang [8 PL, 135pts]: Heavy flamer, Storm bolter, The Murderclaws
Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 208pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [37pts]: Combi-plasma [10pts], Storm shield [4pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [37pts]: Combi-plasma [10pts], Storm shield [4pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [43pts]: Chainfist [10pts], Combi-plasma [10pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [43pts]: Chainfist [10pts], Combi-plasma [10pts]
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader in Terminator Armour [48pts]: Combi-plasma [10pts], Thunder hammer [15pts]
+ Fast Attack [1 PL, 15pts] +
+ Flyer [16 PL, 280pts] +
Stormfang Gunship [16 PL, 280pts]: Helfrost destructor
. Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher
. Two Twin Multi-Meltas [100pts]: 2x Twin multi-melta [100pts]
++ Total: [105 PL, 10CP, 1,999pts] ++

Reasons behind the changes

My original anti artillery ideas failed. A scorpius (or 2!!!) on the other side just rain death on me non stop. The outflanked eradicators were too easy to zone out for experienced opponents.

I identified an impulsor as a must have. It can protect my troops from artillery and gives my melee beatsticks a boost in movement to get in combat turn 2. As a bonus it can zoom across the field and engage artillery in melee to basically shut them down.

I also decided to embrace the coming codex changes and run the Stormfang melta gunship as plan B. I noticed many lists in the current meta don't have the tools for extreme anti tank fire on turn 1 anymore. The objective meta has created an opening to exploit. If I get 1st turn I can zoom across and blow things apart. If I see threats to my flyer I go into strategic reserve and just get off 1 alpha strike before going down in flames.

I removed 1 unit of eradicators...1 unit of bladeguard...and a handful of terminators to make it fit

The modified list performed very well in the debut and I got my 1st competitive 9th edition win (took me 3 games...1-2 tournament record now)

Batrep v Harlequins

T5S2 Vital Information mission

His list

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Harlequins) [104 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration +
Detachment CP
Masque Form: The Frozen Stars: Hysterical Fury
+ Stratagems +
Enigmas of the Black Library (1 Relic) [-1CP]
+ HQ +
Shadowseer [6 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: Neuro Disruptor, Shield From Harm, Stratagem: Pivotal Role, The Shadowstone, Twilight Pathways, Veil of Illusion, Veil of Tears
The Yncarne [15 PL, 290pts]: 1. Gaze of Ynnead, 6. Ancestors' Grace
Troupe Master [4 PL, -1CP, 70pts]: Choreographer of War, Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Blade, Player of the Light, Prince of Light, Stratagem: Pivotal Role, The Twilight Fang, Warlord
+ Troops +
Troupe [12 PL, 240pts]
. Player: Harlequin's Kiss, Shuriken Pistol
Troupe [12 PL, 240pts]
Troupe [12 PL, 240pts]
. Player: Harlequin's Caress, Shuriken Pistol
+ Elites +
Death Jester [3 PL, 50pts]: Humbling Cruelty
+ Fast Attack +
Skyweavers [15 PL, 275pts]
. Skyweaver: Haywire Cannon, Zephyrglaive
Skyweavers [15 PL, 275pts]
+ Heavy Support +
Voidweaver [5 PL, 100pts]: Prismatic Cannon, 2x Shuriken Cannon
Voidweaver [5 PL, 100pts]: Prismatic Cannon, 2x Shuriken Cannon
++ Total: [104 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

BATREP

Pre game was huge because this map has asymmetrical terrain

I won the roll and jumped on the defensive terrain. I needed it to stop him from killing my leviathan easy turn 1
I deploy bladeguard + judiciar + ragnar in the impulsor
Stormfang and terminators are in reserve
Everything else is hiding behind obscuring terrain

He won the roll to go first but gave it to me instead. He guessed I wouldn't move at all turn 1 and I would "lose" a battle round of action.

He was right...I basically hide turn 1 and just send out my cheap wolves to touch objectives and score engage on all fronts. I am waiting for the stormfang gunship and my terminators to arrive

His turn he sends forces into the danger zone and kills my wolves while preparing his long range attacks for turn 2 but nothing else.

He has skyweavers on the far left objective. A cluster of troops on the 2nd left objective and a single void weaver on the far right objective

He may have denied me any primary points but the game of whack a mole has begun!!!

Turn 2

I send my last wolf and infiltrators to reclaim my original objectives (far left and far right of the map)

Impulsor moves to the right middle objective and dumps everyone out

Bladeguard go on the objective while ragnar and judiciar are further back

Eradicators advance to the middle of the field to line up shots. Harlequins have -1 to hit so basically advancing didn't harm my shooting and was free movement.

The leviathan clears his obscuring cover to line up shots on his far left skyweavers who have been stratagem boosted (3++ save...-1 to wound roll and further -1 to hit)

The rune priest advances onto the home objective that was previously touched by the impulsor and eradicators

Ulrik follows the leviathan and keeps the recitation of focus flowing (this let my BS2 leviathan ignore most of the tricks all game)

Murderfang advances midboard within range of the impulsor and eradicators

Terminators drop down in a tiny hole near the far left objective and cyberwolf (positive from lowering the unit size...I can land in smaller areas now)

Stormfang flies onto the middle of the board near my HQ cluster (murderfang...ragnar...judiciar)

I have a decent shooting round and kill 6/10 sky weavers (terminators + leviathan + stormfang) (2 on the far left and only 2 on the right side remain)

*This was the main threat to my leviathan b/c haywire....this success meant my leviathan was on a rampage all game

I fail to kill his home objective void weaver with my stratagem boosted helfrost (only did 3 damage despite a reroll for the D6 damage...rolled a 1 then a 2). Everything else from the stormfang went into the skyweavers.

Eradicators fail to kill the far right void weaver as well...I only put 3 wounds on him. This isn't too bad though b/c the infiltrators have obsec so i still accomplish my goal of point denial.

Blood claws make an 8" charge and kill lots of troops...only lose 1 in return and I steal objective thanks to obsec and outnumbering his troops (4 blood claws to 3 of his troops)

Thanks to the bloodclaw surprise and my infiltrators having obsec I have denied him lots of points. If my stormfang had a tiny bit more luck I could have denied him any points.

His turn 2 he drops 24 troops in the middle of the field to charge my impulsor and the disembarked bladeguard

I take moderate casualties losing the blood claws and bladeguard units.

He forgets to shoot at the cyberwolf standing on an objective (we joked about this pregame b/c he has a SW friend and knows to remove them or they become annoying). This wolf got me hold more basically. 45 points for 3 cyberwolves is a MUST HAVE for SW players...they earn all kinds of primary/secondary points and are disposable.

The highlight was the yncarne charging and killing my stormfang

Stormfang exploded with EVERYONE in range (6" D6 explosion damage)
Killed my judiciar
3 wounds on Murderfang
2 wounds on ragnar
Killed 2 eradicators
Killed 6/12 troops in unit 1 and 3/12 troops in unit 2. He failed morale with BOTH units and ended up losing even more bodies
And most importantly...6 wounds on the yncarne itself

*I lonewolf my eradicator sgt.

Although I lost my judiciar the explosion basically wiped out his main melee threat

it was basically mop up after that with my terminators and leviathan

Turn 3

Murderfang ran down the last 2 skyweavers in one unit and my leviathan shot the last 2 skyweavers in the other unit (they had been tied up in melee with infiltrators and unable to use the trick stratagem to escape)

He got revenge and killed murderfang and then wiped out ragnar in melee with his beatstick HQ. I used my last 2 CP for ragnar to attack and did a mighty 2 wounds only.

Turn 4 my Rune priest ran towards Ragnar's killer and blasted him with 3 damage smite to kill him off

He conceded at that point because he could no longer threaten my units and we talked out the final score

68-40 for my first tournament victory in 9th!!!

gallery_49686_6333_720.jpg

Edited by TiguriusX

I am currently playing 3 online tournaments (1 battle per week) each with a different list as hone my 9th edition skills

One of the tournaments I am running my modified terminator saga list. The terminators are now a supplementary unit instead of the center piece.

My list

Warlord-Wolf lord in phobos armor
All other items TBD in muster phase
++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [31 PL, 12CP, 561pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
Detachment CP
+ HQ [11 PL, 210pts] +
Arjac Rockfist [6 PL, 115pts]: Foehammer
Wolf Lord in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 95pts]: 1. Shoot and Fade, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak [2pts], Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine, Warlord
+ Troops [11 PL, 190pts] +
Blood Claws [6 PL, 75pts]
. 4x Blood Claw [60pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Blood Claw Pack Leader [15pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades
Intercessors [5 PL, 115pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle
. 4x Intercessor [80pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Pack Leader [35pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Thunder hammer [15pts]
+ Fast Attack [2 PL, 30pts] +
+ Dedicated Transport [7 PL, 131pts] +
Impulsor [7 PL, 131pts]: 2x Storm Bolters [6pts], Shield Dome [25pts]
++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [74 PL, -3CP, 1,437pts] ++
+ Configuration [-3CP] +
Detachment CP [-3CP]
+ HQ [12 PL, 255pts] +
Ulrik The Slayer [6 PL, 100pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Tale of the Wolf King and the Lord of the Deeps
Wolf Lord [6 PL, 155pts]: Combi-melta [10pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Jump Pack [1 PL, 20pts], The Armour of Russ, Thunder hammer [40pts]
+ Elites [45 PL, 887pts] +
Judiciar [4 PL, 85pts]: Absolver Bolt Pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades
Murderfang [8 PL, 135pts]: Heavy flamer, Storm bolter, The Murderclaws
Relic Whirlwind Scorpius [12 PL, 235pts]: Scorpius multi-launcher [40pts]
Relic Whirlwind Scorpius [12 PL, 235pts]: Scorpius multi-launcher [40pts]
Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 197pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [43pts]: Chainfist [10pts], Combi-melta [10pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [37pts]: Combi-melta [10pts], Storm shield [4pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [37pts]: Combi-melta [10pts], Storm shield [4pts]
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader in Terminator Armour [43pts]: Chainfist [10pts], Combi-melta [10pts]
+ Fast Attack [1 PL, 15pts] +
+ Flyer [16 PL, 280pts] +
Stormfang Gunship [16 PL, 280pts]: Helfrost destructor
. Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher
. Two Twin Multi-Meltas [100pts]: 2x Twin multi-melta [100pts]
++ Total: [105 PL, 9CP, 1,998pts] ++

List explanation

The list was inspired by podcasts about vietnam MACV SOG and how a small elite unit of infantry relied on artillery and air superiority

In my mind it fits with the counter assault strength of our army so I went for it

Nobody can shut down the scorpius artillery battery while I have a beatstick WL and the armor of russ there

I have a melta gunship on call if my opponent fails to invest in anti air (I'd say half the lists in this pod are vulnerable)

If my gunship is in danger I strategic reserve it and let it do an alpha strike before dying. Flyers get to strategic reserve anywhere like a deep strike

Yes my terminators are using MELTA instead of plasma...with all the scorpius firepower I decided I don't need the shots of the plasma build anymore

These terminators provide 5 BS2 melta shots with a possible charge after. With all the artillery at my disposal it is easy to punch a hole in the backlines where I want them to land as well.

Round 1 Surround and Destroy v Custodes

His list

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [93 PL, 1,996pts, 8CP] ++
+ Configuration +
Detachment CP [-3CP]
+ HQ +
Captain-General Trajann Valoris [10 PL, 190pts]
Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 178pts, -1CP]: Auric Aquilis, Captain-Commander, Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia, Superior Creation, Unstoppable Destroyer, Warlord
+ Elites +
Allarus Custodians [24 PL, 560pts]
. Allarus Custodian: Castellan Axe
Allarus Custodians [15 PL, 350pts]
Vexillus Praetor in Allarus Terminator Armor [7 PL, 128pts]: Misericordia, Vexilla Magnifica
+ Fast Attack +
Venatari Custodians [14 PL, 300pts]
. Venatari Custodian
. . Kinetic Destroyer and Tarsus Buckler: Tarsus Buckler
. Venatari Custodian
. Venatari Custodian
. Venatari Custodian
. Venatari Custodian
+ Heavy Support +
Telemon Heavy Dreadnought [14 PL, 290pts]: Arachnus Storm Cannon, Arachnus Storm Cannon, Spiculus Bolt Launcher
++ Total: [93 PL, 8CP, 1,996pts] ++

BATREP

Favorable map...favorable army
I can spread out while he will likely death ball.
I basically can't kill the telemon. He has a strat to make my attack S-1 so even my anti tank guns will be reduced to S7.
I make 1 risky choice taking GRIND THEM DOWN and expecting never to score it. My hope is it discourages him from using UNLEASH THE LIONS stratagem that breaks an allarus unit into single model units.
If he does that with the 8 man he can run all over the map with obsec and dominate the objectives.
I will turtle up and try to out maneuver my opponent
gallery_49686_16232_103471.jpg
***when I talk about the game the left/right refer to MY perspective...so it may be confusing relying on this deployment zone b/c that is HIS perspective
I won the roll for first turn
Fired on his 5 man allarus with scorpius killing 2/5 combined (they have insane defense and buffs...and after turn 1 I wouldn't be able to touch them so I took a pot shot)
He moves his murder ball up to the middle right objective
Turn 2
I see potential for a devastating blow so I take the gamble
The only thing providing look out sir protection for his jetbike is a unit of 5 venataari. I drop the gunship in to draw a clean LOS to his jetbike captain instead of hunting allarus terminators (my original plan)
I am over eager and use keen senses on my recitation of focus buffed scorpius and manage to kill 4/5 venataari and expose his jetbike captain to my gunship
The gunship absolutely whiffs on the shield captain...with 9 anti tank weapons I landed 1 hit and failed to even wound. I used the stormstrike strat but had a -1 due to vexilla...rolled a ton of 2s and a single 4 with a stormstrike that failed to wound. I made a mistake using keen senses on my scorpius with recitation of focus to clear the venataari...it killed 4/5 by itself but it was overkill. I should have trusted in the 2 scorpius to get the job and buffed gunship instead.
Meanwhile I take advantage of his death ball formation and aggressively move the jump lord and a wolf to the middle left objective knowing he can't get me. I plant a banner with my wolf lord.
He easily blows up the gunship on his turn and consolidates his forces using the 8 man allarus to bubble wrap his characters
Turn 3 I really start to take advantage of his low numbers... a cyber wolf advances to steal the back left objective and my terminators deep strike in and combi melta his small allarus unit to clear the area for the wolf. My strategic reserve wolf drops in his back corner to get me all 4 corners for ENGAGE
I also move the impulsor up and kick my intercessors out to a certain death. However, they are able to jump onto the objective and steal it temporarily. This will deny 5 points in his turn and drop him to a single objective only.
His turn he is forced to keep in a huddle around his telemon dread and his last allarus unit. He doesn't want to expose any of his HQs to double scorpius fire
He decides to push his allarus up aggressively and wipes out my impulsor and intercessors from the middle right objective (I had disembarked to deny him primary points).
His allarus can now reach my rear with blood claws and murderfang next turn if I don't stop him
Turn 4
My wolf lord goes kamikaze and advances then charges in with his saga of the hunter and touch of the wild. He gets a morkai bolt assist as well as some scorpius firing.
Wolf Lord ends up dying but his two attack phases result in 21 total attacks (exploding 4's and double exploding 6's). I killed 7/8 allarus and morale finishes off the last model.
My backline is secured and it wins the game by denying him further points.
His turn 4 he doesn't move and we talk out turn 5
gallery_49686_16232_40975.jpg
My opponent was one of the invitational players from season 1 and very good
Proud to take this close win and move on to round 2 with a 1-0 record
Everyone always wonders why I have no wulfen in my list.
I am expecting the nerf bat and honestly I prefer the viking theme SW to the werewolf theme.
*Update*
Today I learned my list is illegal. Apparently the Munitorum Field Manual changed the scorpius from an ELITE to a HEAVY.
I have had to adjust my list.
I am likely removing arjac and the terminators to add double eradicators and an extra judiciar.
My opponent was very gracious and said no need to rematch with a corrected list. He is satisfied with the result.
Unfortunately this list no longer contains any terminators so I will cut this saga short for now.
Edited by TiguriusX