Alternative rules for Black Templars in WH40k 8th Edition

Dosjetka

Note: I've updated the ruleset to v1.1 as of 20th April 2020. If your version is an earlier version, please download the latest using the link below.

Welcome to this little project of mine!

Whilst Games Workshop gave the Black Templars updated rules and units in the Psychic Awakening: Faith and Fury supplement, I've always wanted rules that were similar to those found in Codex: Black Templars from 4th Edition. With that goal in mind, I sat down and created the following document.

Please note that I tried to change the original rules as little as I could; the intent was simply to update them to make them compatible with Warhammer 40'000 8th Edition and not to make them more/less powerful.

+ Link to Version 1.1 +

I'm toying with the idea of adding a Stratagem that allows the player to change the currently-active Vow but it seems to go against the fluff behind the vows (it being a pre-battle oath; these shouldn't change mid-battle) and would be a power boost to the rules which is not the intent. Your thoughts on this are appreciated however.

Last but not least, comments and constructive criticism are also appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dosjetka

I just sent these to a buddy of mine that plays Black Templars. Rules, like these, are needed to give the Black Templars the flavor they need to differentiate them from other marine chapters. 

I like that Grey Knights can be used but not other psykers. I also like that because of the Black Templars’ zeal, they want to attack the nearest enemy unit. 

The ‘Suffer Not the Unclean’ vow, is the +1 strength but -1 to hit for showing that the Templars get into a bit of berzerk mode in combat? I thought that was a cool idea. 

When things are different and I’m able to play games with friends again, I’d like to have my buddy use these rules as a test. 

a bit of an errata if I may?

• In Righteous Zeal text says "and succeeds it", should "and succeeds in it".
  • In Kill Them All you should rewrite to say "An INFANTRY or BIKER unit needs to pass a Leadership test to shoot a different unit than the once closest to it".
  • In "Suffer Not", are you sure you want the units to fight last? That's an unusable Vow.
  • In "Abhor", the exclusion for Concealed units should be the last sentence, not the first.

Thank you for the feedback, Krieg. I'll clean up those wording issues and update the file once we resolve the issue below. :tu:

What do you suggest as an alternative 8th Edition equivalent to the "Suffer Not the Unclean to Live" 4th Edition's -1 Initiative?

I just sent these to a buddy of mine that plays Black Templars. Rules, like these, are needed to give the Black Templars the flavor they need to differentiate them from other marine chapters. 

I like that Grey Knights can be used but not other psykers. I also like that because of the Black Templars’ zeal, they want to attack the nearest enemy unit. 

The ‘Suffer Not the Unclean’ vow, is the +1 strength but -1 to hit for showing that the Templars get into a bit of berzerk mode in combat? I thought that was a cool idea. 

When things are different and I’m able to play games with friends again, I’d like to have my buddy use these rules as a test. 

Thank you, glad you like 'em!

Aye, the idea is it takes them some time to "power up". I've since changed that to "fights last in the Fight phase" but that's been unpopular. :sweat: If you have any suggestions for alternatives, I'm all ears!

Show this to WHC to show them how easy is to give flavor to an army if they made the effort.
Great job Dosjetka.

Cheers, Sete. Not sure there's much use sending these to WHC but perhaps I might do it anyway once we have a definitive document. :tu:

Thank you for the feedback, Krieg. I'll clean up those wording issues and update the file once we resolve the issue below. :thumbsup:

What do you suggest as an alternative 8th Edition equivalent to the "Suffer Not the Unclean to Live" 4th Edition's -1 Initiative?

A simple -1 to Hit would probably be less crippling. However, for how situational a +1 Str is, even across the whole army, and knowing the kinds of bonuses new design armies like Sisters got, I'm not sure this is even required at all.

Thank you for the feedback, Krieg. I'll clean up those wording issues and update the file once we resolve the issue below. :thumbsup:

A simple -1 to Hit would probably be less crippling. However, for how situational a +1 Str is, even across the whole army, and knowing the kinds of bonuses new design armies like Sisters got, I'm not sure this is even required at all.

So would an additional bonus to counteract the effect of a -1 to hit perhaps help?