Scout Sergeant: Red or Black shoulders?

appiah4

Since both common sense and GW's webshop images are in accordance... black? :tongue.:

Edit: more seriously, Sergeant shoulder pads for Blood Angels have been black since at least 5th Edition. That said, whatever you prefer should be your go-to choice. I personally think black shoulder pads make Sergeants stand out so that would be my choice but YMMV. :)

Edited by Dosjetka

I'd assumed so, hence my stealth edit with a more serious (and helpful) reply. :)

Quickly checked the GW webshop but can't seem to find any pictures of Scouts painted as Blood Angels specifically. Am I going mad?

I don't see a reason for why Scouts shouldn't follow the regular Blood Angels heraldry. Can't find anything about it in the Codex either. I wouldn't put too much weight on the pictures in the webshop though. The 'Eavy Metal team also paints Terminator helmets in red despite Veterans wearing golden helmets simply because that's how it has always been done (I guess).

Since both common sense and GW's webshop images are in accordance... black? :tongue.:

Edit: more seriously, Sergeant shoulder pads for Blood Angels have been black since at least 5th Edition. That said, whatever you prefer should be your go-to choice. I personally think black shoulder pads make Sergeants stand out so that would be my choice but YMMV. :smile.:

Is that so? (Emphasis mine)

blood%2Bangels%2Bcomplete%2Bbeginners%2B

Common sense says black yet all modern images On GW site are black..

I was referring to what was most likely a mistake in your first post. :)

Thank you for the picture of Blood Angels Scouts, I couldn't find one when I had a look earlier. And despite this, my earlier point still stands. :tu:

I'm doing both :tongue.: - meaning I do one shoulder pad black and one red as in my head, among neophytes ranks are not permanent.

And for some reason I didn't wanted to assign a fully-fledged marine to act as a proper sergeant.

med_gallery_105306_14251_272875.jpg

But I otherwise believe these should be black.

Edited by Majkhel

Black as well. Codex says: black shoulder pads, yellow (can also be gold as it's the same heraldic colour) chapter insignia on the left one and on the right one - company markings.

Having the need to tackle this as well as I build the 5th Company, I'm doing their company marking with a red trim.

gallery_105306_14251_437456.jpg

Edited by Majkhel

yellow (can also be gold as it's the same heraldic colour) 

Perhaps in the real world in the past, however Blood Angels heraldry and modern real world heraldry treat them as two different things.

Right, forgot about the helmets colours implications - yellow and gold do mean different things in the codex :/

Also just re-checked and there is nothing written in the current codex about the colour of the sergeant's Alatus Cadere on the left shoulder pad. But damn me if I start painting the red outline for a black Chapter badge on the black shoulder pad. Not to mention that I would need to remove the already applied decals or paint them over to place new ones.

In the BA codex. Unsure if the modern SM codex says, but in the initial 4th ed SM codex when the UM 2nd co went from yellow to gold, they gave all the company coours in both flat and metallic options, which was cool. Again, doesn't apply to BA. 

Sergeant shoulder pads are black with red trim because they're the reverse of the original red pad with black trim, they just for some reason kept the trim when the general colour scheme was simplified to remove the trim.

Sergeant pads don't have trim, so that might be why they don't change colour.

I don't see a reason for why Scouts shouldn't follow the regular Blood Angels heraldry. Can't find anything about it in the Codex either. I wouldn't put too much weight on the pictures in the webshop though. The 'Eavy Metal team also paints Terminator helmets in red despite Veterans wearing golden helmets simply because that's how it has always been done (I guess).

Ultramarines have the terminator and power armoured veterans follow the same helmet scheme but BA aren't the only ones that don't. Black Templars have white helmets on sword brethren terminators but not on power armoured sword brethren.

In the BA codex. Unsure if the modern SM codex says, but in the initial 4th ed SM codex when the UM 2nd co went from yellow to gold, they gave all the company coours in both flat and metallic options, which was cool. Again, doesn't apply to BA. 

Except it does, the 5th ed codex at least has the same colours for the BA battle companies with the exeption of the 3rd being white/silver instead of red/sanguinite. The BA reserve companies duplicate colours just with extra blood drops but still have the same metalic colour names as the Ultramarines.

Sergeant shoulder pads are black with red trim because they're the reverse of the original red pad with black trim, they just for some reason kept the trim when the general colour scheme was simplified to remove the trim.

Black rims on the shoulder pads never went away on my Blood Angels. My intercessors are now rocking them in 8th (and goblin green bases). :biggrin.:

med_gallery_82363_13858_684645.jpg