Scout Sergeant: Red or Black shoulders?

appiah4

When I get around to doing my scout bikers and incursors (yes I realise the latter are not scouts, but they’re still tenth coy.) I’ll be doing the left shoulder pad with chapter badge black, with the chapter badge yellow, and the right shoulder badge red, as the company insignia is a black circle with red blood drop and wouldn’t stand, to the point it would be invisible, if the pad were black. To the original poster take that for what you will.

Does anybody out there still roll an army with banners on every sergeant?

Haha, yes.

I actually go beyond third edition, which completely removes the concept of a squad leader. my units are split up as in second edition, each unit has a veteran sergeant who has black pads and black banner, and a squad leader, with black pads and red banner. No in-game effect, but it's a fluff thing.

Great stuff :)

Besides making them more difficult to hide competely from LOS, which I would suspect is a big reason banners fell out of fashion...

Gold helmets denoting veterancy was introduced by GW as late as 5e IIRC and it still makes no sense to me AFAIC.

Maybe the just wanted to copy the UMs who have a specific helmet colour for veterans. Whether it makes sense is probably less relevant than whether it looks cool and that is very much down to personal taste. :wink:

The 4th edition mini-codex in WD still had Veteran assault Squads with yellow helmets.

gallery_82363_13858_179468.jpg

I wouldn't trust that picture though because it's not of a veteran, it's a second company assault squad member. Not sure how that picture ended up being used

It's strange that the image of the Blood Angels scouts on the GW site shows the sergeant with a black BA icon on the red pad. Any of the BA decals that are used for the scouts pads (the ones that are smaller than the standard marine size) come in 5's with 4 black and one yellow which would mean that's for the sergeant.

I listened to the audiobook Dante recently and when Dante is a scout his Sergeant comes across as a fully fledged marine and not a neophyte, so in my mind should have the same heraldry as all other sergeants.

Ah, thanks. I wanted to mention the fully fledged Marine thing earlier as well but couldn't find a source and thought I mistook it for the Captain of the 10th instead.

The decal argument makes sense too. It's less of a "proof" than written text and perhaps a little less than painted models and artworks in Codexes etc., but is definitely a strong hint towards their intention.

• 3 weeks later...