Indy's Indomitable: the IX Legion Legiones Astartes

Indefragable

Fraters,

After a long, long, long time putting these guys together, my passion project is finally shaping up. 

I present to you, my IX Legion. 

Below are pics that are representative of the different building blocks of my force, so you may not see full squads in some cases, but I wanted to get the major pieces, themes, and components done first and then fill things in from there. 

Those who know me also will attest that I've always beat my own path through the woods at times, so while the "textbook" was certainly consulted, it is certainly not adhered to in all ways.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Enjoy!

-Indy 

Legion Tactical/Tactical Support Squad. 

Hidden Content

I built these guys to be magnetized so that I can swap between bolters and special weapons as needed. I have bolters, flamers, plasma, and both volkite chargers and calivers (CHOOOOOOOM). No melta as you'll see why later. 

The guy with the volkite caliver has multiple angles to show how they're all blinged out/have combat knives. 

Tac Squad F

Tac Bolter

Tac Plasma

Tac Flamer

Tac Volk Cal F

Tac Volk Cal L

Tac Volk Cal Rear

Tac Volk Cal Rear

Tac Sgt A 2

Legion Assault Marine Squad

Hidden Content

Not much to say on these guys. Quite straightforward. The Sgt is magnetized for different melee weapon options. 

Shoutout to @Cadmus Tyro for the inspiration for these guys. 

ASM Squad Fr

ASM Bro

ASM Axe

ASM Axe R

ASM Sgt F

ASM Sgt Close

ASM Sgt side

Legion Command Squad

Hidden Content

3/5 Command Squad guys built. Magnetized with jump packs so can foot or jump.

1x Power axe + Combat shield

1x Charnabal Sabre + Combat Shield

1x Volkite Charger (for the CHOOM) 

Still working on Standard Bearer and a 5th Vet. 

I wanted to do MkIII for the Command Squad partially to stand out from the rest of the force (almost all MkIV), partially just to change it up for my own lobbying sanity, and partially to show the idea of them as the Old Guard veterans personally selected by a commander, getting to keep their trusty wargear. 

Command Squad F1

Command Axe

Command Saber F

Command Saber R

Command Saber R 2

Command Volkite F

Command Volkite S

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad - Machines Killers

Hidden Content

Veteran squad with the Machine Killers Veteran Tactics option (+1 to Armor Penetration rolls for the uninitiated...it's really good :smile.:

These guys were actually the first squad I built/assembled. Sometimes you just have to act when inspiration strikes and they were the impetus I needed waaaaaaaay back in March 2019 to finally get this passion project off the ground. 

I chose the Machine Killers tactic partially for the crunch of being able to hop in and nuke a vehicle (even the +1 helps even against Armoured Ceramite) and partially since I could not find any examples of IX Legion "veterans" out there at all. So here's my take on them. 

Vet   Melt Squad F

Vet Melt shooter F

Vet Melt shooter side1

Vet Melt shooter Ri

Vet Melt shooter Rear

Vet Melt bomb F1

Vet Melt bomb S1

Vet Melt bomb R1

Vet Melt Sgt F

Vet Melt Sgt Close

Vet Melt Sgt R

Legion Seekers

Hidden Content

Like the Machine-Killer Vets, I did this unit partially to add some shootings to my army. I am known as the guy who is going to punch you in the face and we both know it's going to happen, but can you actually stop me? -guy on the tabletop with my BA in all iterations (7th/8th/IX), so these guys are a deliberate attempt to....uh....broaden....my tactical capabilities. 

Also just like the Vets, I could not find a single example of a IX Legion Seeker out there on the internet, so this is my take on them to get out into the collective consciousness. 

Of note is the bone-wing+red gem blood drop chapter symbol. My base units are black-wing+red gem blood droop, veteran units of all stripes are red-wing+red gem blood drop on a black background surrounded by gold, unit commanders of all levels are gold-wing+red gem blood drop, and special units are special. I wanted the Seekers to have a different color "unit" patch and it just hit me that the same bone color as the skulls would go perfectly on the wings. Reinforces the Death Dealers, Hunters, Seekers, gonna-track-you-down-and-kill-you-no-matter-what vibe. 

I would have loved to write the name of an enemy character/unit on the parchment underneath the skull, but that is beyond my skill at the moment. 

Seeker Squad F

Seeker Shooter

Seeker Tracker

Seeker Sgt F

Seeker unit patch

Seeker chapter symbol

Angel's Tears

Hidden Content

My take on them, as opposed to the official FW version.

The conversion idea/bits is not a unique one as so many of us out there have done it (though the deep down hipster in me likes to say I built the first test model of this in like April 2019!). A solid conversion concept no matter what, if I may say so myself.

Only 3 pictured here, 1x with dual volkite serpentas, 1x with assault cannon with suspensor web, and 1x with Angel's Tears' grenade launcher. I have 7x more to finish, but this is representative of how they will look over all. 

The grenades on the belt are supposed to be from left to right: frag, phosphex*, rad, krak.

*they can't actually use phosphex, but it's for modelling purposes.

This is a bit of lore I created as part of my inspiration for these guys:

"The rarest jewel in all the Baal system is the blue gemstone of unknown origin found in the ruins of the pre-Night fortress on Baal Primus. To the people of Baal, forever bathed in the red of their world and the blood of their own mortality, the blue gems are of worth beyond comprehension. 

It is for this reason that Sanguinius chose to adorn the warriors of his most dire unit with them. A reminder of what was and will be lost and of the terrible cost such deeds extract from the souls of all involved.

Some even claim that the jewels are in fact petrified pure water, though this notion has long been dismissed as the whimsical ramblings of the hysterical and thirst-mad."

AT squad F

AT volkite serpenta

AT belt

AT faceblue

Dawnbringers

Hidden Content

I love these guys.

Like my Angel's Tears, the conversion bits here are nothing shocking, using primarily Sanguinary Guard kit bodies, Conversion World spears, and uniform helms from the FW Blood Angels Legion upgrade set. 

For Dawnbreakers, the chapter symbol/"unit patch" is red wings+gold blood drop on black background bordered by gold. Holds the same theme as other Veteran units, but just a bit different to be distinct (in case, you know, their entire outfit doesn't distinguish them enough). 

I like to think of their chapter symbol/unit patches also being used to represent them on the tactical shuffle boards in the strategium and so on. 

The Champion's helm is also from the FW Legion upgrade set and his Blade of Perdition is also from Conversion World. This particular model sword will be used across my army to denote a Blade of Perdition. Any Black Library 40k fans catch the reference with the sword? 

You will note the lack of grenade dischargers. This is deliberate, partially due to me not finding any bits I liked (I dabbled with both Angelus Boltguns and Grey Knight stormbolters and just didn't feel 'em). So my lore for the Dawnbringers is that they all played QB in college and can just huck grenades really far to meet the crunch 1f609.png:wink:

I plan on building 15x more of these (have the bits, just need to get to assembling after a breather), going either 2x10 or maybe 1x10+2x5, or 3x5. Have not made up my mind yet. 

On a personal note, the Dawnbringer Champion featured here may be my single favorite model I've ever kit bashed.

Bonus points if you get the reference for why I colored the Blade of Perdition that way. 

Dawn squad F1

Dawn sword thumb 1

Dawn spears F1

Dawn spear closeup1

Dawn brutal F1

Dawn brutal R1

Dawn Champ F1

Dawn Champ Close1

Dawn Champ S1

Dawn Champ Unit 1

Dawn Champ Chapter 1

Chapter Symbol:

As noted under "Seekers," I have a theme for the coloration of the IX Legion Chapter Symbol. It is thus (so far) : 

• Line Troops: black-wing + red gem blood drop
  • Veteran status: red-wing + Red gem blood drop, on a black background with gold border
  • Command (Sgt up to Praetor) : gold-wing + red blood drop
  • Seekers: bone-wing + red blood drop
  • Angel's Tears: black-wing + black blood drop; blue gem tear on silver mask
  • Dawnbringers: red-wing + gold blood drop
  • Apothecarion: red-wing + red blood drop on white background with black border

The Dawnbringer Champion for example has gold-wing + red drop on one shoulder and the red-wing+gold drop on the other, representing that he is a commander of the Dawnbriger Cohort. It also happens to perfectly tie in with the Dawn/Dusk theme of the DBC as well :smile.:

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do and I will update as I complete more. 

In our next episode: HQ's. 

Edit 04/21: added hyperlink

Edited by Indefragable

Finally coming out of the shadows ;)

Good to see the fruit of your labours! I have to say I really like them ALL :yes:

Particularly the Sternguard Veteran Tactical Squad and Dawnbringers, but others too

Those big red shields need some decals or freehand imo.

@Blade of Perdition - it's yellow, cause of the Blade of Perdition (IF warship)?

Good luck with this project :thumbsup:

Finally coming out of the shadows :wink:

Good to see the fruit of your labours! I have to say I really like them ALL :yes:

Particularly the Sternguard Veteran Tactical Squad and Dawnbringers, but others too

Those big red shields need some decals or freehand imo.

@Blade of Perdition - it's yellow, cause of the Blade of Perdition (IF warship)?

Good luck with this project :thumbsup:

Thanks. The Vets were a surprisingly fun bunch to do.

As for the gold blade....think Black Library and not directly a BA-focused book...

Good stuff, nice to see another IX army - a good take on some classic BA units. Agree the shields need something, even just a chapter decal.

I have the FW decal sheet, but it’s at a friend’s house at the moment and out of quarantine reach. I agree it would make them pretty cool.