Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

9th Edition End of Summer/Necrons.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
120 replies to this topic

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,390 posts
Disclaimer:
The following are rumours so apply salt accordingly.

September a new edition will drop and Necrons will be the new bad guys in the block.

Some finecast units might get redone, i think the flayers were brought up.

There are rumours of a new Necron codex aswell for 9th.

A new edition cycle will begin, so ya know what to expect, we have been trough this for a few times now.

Edited by Sete, 22 April 2020 - 05:54 PM.

• mithrilforge, Valerian, Noserenda and 5 others like this

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 713 posts
I sure do hope this is true and, wishful thinking though it might be, that the DeathWatch is the marine faction they face, as that could potentially explain why GW pulled a fast one in the PA series and didn't provide the Watch with a full update: maybe they are due a more thorough one in a 'dex that was scheduled a mere few weeks or months after the PA:Pariah and White Dwarf releaases...
  • Doghouse likes this

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,357 posts

So kinda the same rumours we heard about 9th some months back, but moved to September due to the shutdown shuffle? Regardless of the amount of truth there is to it, I'd take the date with even more salt, as the situation can still change drastically if things go awry. Bit of a pessimistic outlook, I know, but I'm not saying it's going to happen, just to keep it in mind as a possibility.

Regardless, I don't know if we should know what to expect. I mean, new Codices for armies left behind, of course, but when it comes to model releases, I honestly don't know what's in store for the post-Psychic Awakening future. There was this other rumour not so long ago that GW would start focusing on new factions instead of range refreshes or additions, but that one also requires liberal application of salt.

• RedFox likes this

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,390 posts
I have been off the web (hobby related break from november to march) so this is new to me.
Dunno if its old news or not.

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,357 posts

No no, don't take me wrong, it's news. I'm just saying there were also rumours saying similar things for June/July, but that was before the shutdown and before we knew about Pariah/Szeras, so it's curious to hear that other rumours are agreeing on the meat of it but the date has shifted. If true, this means GW's plan for catching up is to keep going as planned, instead of shifting things around. Again, that is if the situation de-escalates and we return to normalcy within the expected dates, and the shutdown doesn't continue further into summer.

Edited by DeadFingers, 22 April 2020 - 06:07 PM.

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 550 posts
I remember (too lazy to dig it up again) that one of the main rumors for the 9th lead by Necrons was that there was going to be a box set with a Necrons lead by a new Szeras model vs a power armored imperial army. The original rumor couldn’t confirm if it was space marines and the idea of it being inquisition was suggested.

Several months later we’ve got GW revealing a new Szeras model and a new Inquisitor model, so they got part of it right. And it has been a few months since GW dropped a box set.

But I think we’ll need GWs factories up and running before we get any big reveals.
  • Sete likes this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,354 posts
As much as Id like it I cant see it happening by September

UK is under lockdown and their gov today said theyve no idea when it will be lifted and therell probably be social distancing for the rest of the year

Theyve officially 2 weeks or so of full lockdown to go at least

If GW were to be 2 months behind schedule already, they still have to catch up on those 2 shutdown months of back order plus stocking their own and other stores, before rolling out already announced books and models. And you have to assume itll be some time before they can reach normal efficiency.

A new edition/boxset is a huge amount of work. Even if they could reopen early May theyd almost have to have everyone working maximum overtime from the word go to have a chance of making September
  • RWJP and templargdt like this

A Melancholic Sanguinity

A Melancholic Sanguinity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts

What's the source(s) for these particular rumors?

• Black Blow Fly, RedFox, Halandaar and 1 other like this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,037 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I wonder if the final book of the Pa series being “Pariah” and a potential new edition starter set with Necrons as the Big Bad shows the storyline shifting thus:

While the Imperium (primarily AdMech) and Abaddon want more blackstone than ever before to get some semblance of control over the increased psychic instability in the galaxy, the Necrons suddenly (after what, a million years?) realize the potential of being able to tap into/manipulate the warp instead of just negating it. Thus it becomes a quest for the, to lap up as many psychically attuned members of the lesser species as possible. 

“In season two, it’s not just one existential threat trying to eat you, now it’s two!”

Something something Pariah Gene something something Silent King something something Trazn Be Trollin’ something something alliances blurring ala Ynnari and radical Inquisitors. 

<shrug>

• templargdt, N1SB and RedFox like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 21,924 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
Shifting to the Necrons as the main bad guys in the setting seems odd. The setting has always featured the Imperium versus Chaos as the primary antagonism, with all of the other factions as less important (but still significant) threats.

What is the source of these rumors?
  • Prot likes this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,357 posts

The setting has always featured the Imperium versus Chaos as the primary antagonism

A starter set featuring Necrons isn't that odd. Battle for Macragge and Assault on Black Reach also had Xenos as the opposing force.

• andes, Triszin, Sete and 1 other like this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,037 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

....and having the Riddler be the prime antagonist of season 4 of Batman  doesn’t mean the Joker is no longer his nemesis. 

• Warhead01, Noserenda, N1SB and 2 others like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,390 posts
You guys know i wont be naming sources right?
That is counter productive to the rumour bussiness.

On the delays about the lockdown, have no idea, im selling the fish same price it was sold to me. It has been corroborated by other people in the know, thats the best guarantee i can give.

At the end of the day, apply salt, it's a rumour.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Sete, 22 April 2020 - 07:47 PM.

• Triszin, Centurion Jay, PJ1933 and 2 others like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,277 posts
  • Faction: Legio Magna

My hatred for newcron lore aside, the Szeras model is epic, and I hope to see more like it if the Necrons get renewed attention as part of an 8.5/9th edition push.

e: spelling

Edited by Marshal Loss, 22 April 2020 - 07:40 PM.

• Lexington likes this

bl-logo.jpg

Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,695 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

None of this is unexpected and has been talked about for months now, I think that GW can still salvage their schedule if they re open their stores JUST for pick ups like they said in WarCom and push out the next two PA back to back. I doubt this edition will be a huge change but I do think bringing some rules from other systems, like City Fight terrain and Apocalypse turn structure, might benefit the game a whole bunch.

++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 232 posts

None of this is unexpected and has been talked about for months now, I think that GW can still salvage their schedule if they re open their stores JUST for pick ups like they said in WarCom and push out the next two PA back to back. I doubt this edition will be a huge change but I do think bringing some rules from other systems, like City Fight terrain and Apocalypse turn structure, might benefit the game a whole bunch.

Eh. Somebody, somewhere, thinks the terrain rules in core 8th are just right, and they will complain if other terrain rules are made official.

I am not that somebody. :)

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 706 posts
I dont care what faction they do in the box I just hope they got rid if IGUG. I do wonder what 9th will bring. The realist in me feels that it will just be a slight turning nothing too wild.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,038 posts

If Necrons are the bad guys launching into 9th ed, I would have to assume it's going to be mirrored with AdMech releases.

Just looking as far back as the Forgebane release, and unreleased Admech stuff.

• Karhedron likes this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,234 posts
A new set with flayed ones would be good. I think it is a believable rumour and it would be nice to see a pivot towards the xenos factions. I think they probably intended to tease a new 40k set at adepticon but decided not to because of the release delays. The 40k content at the reveals has seemed very sparse to me.

I am surprised that gw havent started mail order back up yet with appropriate social distancing measures. It would enable them to catch up some on the release schedule. I'm itching for the new aeronautica planes myself.
  • Robbienw likes this

Someguy11

Someguy11

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Previous rumors have said everything with green plastic rods would be replaced. Flayed ones and warriors getting a new multipart kit together would make sense.

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,036 posts
Give me alternate activation please.

I love the apocalypse game mode.

Did I mention alternate activation?

Pretty please?
  • Sloeberjong likes this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,759 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Sounds like various speculations on forums etc. turned into rumours now. I wouldn't bet money on any of these except for maybe the new edition one.

• Black Blow Fly, Halandaar and Aztek like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,366 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Yeah I agree with Panzer this isn’t really a rumor.

fortis Fortuna adiuvat.

=][=my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247=][=

wc.jpg

Blood and Honor!

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,573 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

I dont care what faction they do in the box I just hope they got rid if IGUG. I do wonder what 9th will bring. The realist in me feels that it will just be a slight turning nothing too wild.

I'm not expecting much more than Endless Spells Psychic Powers and some clean-up here and there.

If we see IGUG removed in favour of say... alternating activations they'd probably use AoS 3.0 as a test bed for that before risking it on their flagship game.
  • templargdt and Subtleknife like this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.png

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 550 posts
Necrons are a smaller army with a good chunk of outdated models, so a revamp with some new kits isn’t unthinkable. And their rules feel like bad ports of their 7th edition codex still (to me)

Although it does sound kind of suspect to think GW will release new rules for Necrons in the Pirah book only to turn around and sell a new codex for them a month later in the new edition. Although GW has done similar things in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users